Start by marking “The Candlestone (Library Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Candlestone (Library Edition)

The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,319 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The Candlestone is a contemporary fantasy novel, the second in a series of audio books for pre-teens and young adults. This series inspires young people to pursue faith, courage, and love and to dig deep within to find their God-given strengths, no matter how difficult the circumstances. The first book, Raising Dragons, plunged two teenagers, Billy Bannister and Bonnie Sil ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2010 by Oasis Audio (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Candlestone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candlestone

I loved this one just as much as the first. We return to our hero's Billy, Bonnie, and Walter and along the way we meet new characters that are just as awesome. When Bonnie's Father comes to take her home to Montana she reluctantly goes with him believing what he tells her "Your Mother is not dead." She goes with him and meets a teenaged Super genius named Ashley Stalworth as well as others who live in her Father's giant lab. Not only that, but her Father has The Candlestone! that she threw into ...more
Aelvana
Bonnie was looking forward to making a new family, but her father shows up with an amazing claim: that Bonnie's mother is not dead, and she needs Bonnie's help. Although Bonnie doesn't trust her father, she won't throw away the chance that he's telling the truth, so she agrees to go. Once she's gone, Billy and the others catch on to her father's lies and charge off after her. But Devin, the dragonslayer, isn't dead yet, and he's got plans of his own for both Bonnie and Billy.

It's hard to say wha
Anastasia
Perhaps even better than its prequel, The Candlestone continues the adventure fluidly, without losing the momentum gained from Raising Dragons. This book is a bit more science-heavy, but not confusing. I love that Mr. Davis combined science and magic, so in the places where the science was a stretch, the magic covered the gaps (which I applaud him for; that was a wise move).

(Spoiler) The only major part I didn't like was the climax, where I thought the story left its usual level of sophisticati
Lindsey
The Dragons in Our Midst series is really awesome. I loved the first book to peices. But I don't really like this book as much as the first one. Why? Because I didn't like the story line and there wasn't as much excitement and suspence. The beginning of the book is good the ending is good and the middle is... ehhh. And so I wasn't very motivated to keep reading. I'm hopping the next book, Circles of Seven, is better and a more exciting read.

Bonnie is going to be adopted by Walter’s parents. But
Rachel
Storyline - The Candlestone - Bonnie's father has resurfaced and wants her back. But when she returns to Montana, her friends finds out that he isn't being completely truthful and go after him. Turns out, Bonnie's father has the candlestone and found a way for them to enter it. Can Bonnie's friends arrive in time and what is in the candlestone?

Positive - The characters are honorable and self sacrificial. They fight the evil that is not only coming after the dragons but also the world. The charac
Elissa
Jul 27, 2008 Elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10+
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the best books I've ever read. The story is absolutely enthralling. It's the kind of book that your saying to yourself "Just ONE more chapter" until it's two AM and your eyes feel like they have gravel in them, and you still can't put it down. Bryan Davis has created a fantasty world rivaling Narnia or Middle-Earth, and what I find so interesting, unlike Narnia and Middle-Eearth, the adventures take place in our real world with real life teenagers who face the same temptations and ...more
Emma Reid
This is a Christian book in ways the first book wasn't. As an adolescent Christian, it was refreshing and really a joy to read. I read this a few years ago and didn't like it because it is much slower paced than the first one, but now that I am older I appreciate it much more. The characters all go through development, especially Billy, which I thought was just lovely to read. This book has more of a sci-fi feel than a fantasy, but I still really enjoyed it. I found this book to have fewer corny ...more
Rae
Reactions: I lost the battle with my will! I told myself I wouldn't start it until I was done Scarlet.. and then I go and read it the day after I began Scarlet and of course I couldn't put it down because it was such a good book! Why I torture myself I don't know.. but I'm evil to myself and that is the truth well enough.

The Candlestone follows Raising Dragons and is the second in the Dragons in Our Midst series which I was told to read and so I bought the first two which are now read. These bo
Heather N
Aug 17, 2008 Heather N rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Heather by: Rachel Norton
This second installment sadly didn't live up to my expectations. I sludged through it out of pure determination to be able to say I finished it (ok ok, so I WAS a little curious to find out what happened), but it just wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first one. The writing was cheesier and even less-believable than the first book - particularly regarding the main characters' dialogue and emotions - and while the whole concept of the candlestone is quite creative and the "science" of it somewhat ...more
Selena
Kris
I kept expecting more out of this series, but this one is written in the same way as Raising Dragons. The plot is slow and overly-descriptive, the mystery rather forced, and dialogue cliche and juvenile. I had to force myself to get through these, because it's like "wading through clay" -- and debatable whether or not it's worth the effort.

I felt the same during the next one, Circles of Seven. I definitely won't be re-reading this series any time soon. I've been told that Oracles of Fire is bett
Warren Duke
this book was full of adventurer and action full of info about god and king Arthur there is also a bit of romance in it for the women and a bunch of stuff about sword and stuff for the guys...
Mason Settles
The second of the Dragons in our Midst series, it is just as enticing and action filled as the first book, with more of a mystery and suspense feeling.
Hannah
Though not as good in spiritual depth as the latter books in the series, The Candlestone is cleaner than those books, and still radiants with Biblical, applicable truths. While I, like many Davis readers, have serious theological differences with him, I have found this story to be beneficial to my walk with the Lord, and all of it (with a little purposefully incorrect interpretation) is true to the Word. Younger readers may find difficulty in following the story, as much of it deals with complex ...more
Mary Ann
3.09.13 I began this with the book and finished it with a MP3 disc. The music used for this audio was quite effective. This particular series will be ideal for those Christian families who choose to guard their children's reading; the use of scripture reinforces a positive influence!
11.18.13 More trips to Joplin and Freeman Hospital; this time I finished this book on tape while taking RK to ER for hurting in his chest. Long story short he was released on the 20th with the good news that his hear
Bookworm445
OMG NEED THE NEXT ONE........
Olivia
Beautiful story
Amy Meyers
Enjoyed it, almost as much as the first one. It was more exciting in parts, but less believable. Still, very creative, and young adults will really enjoy it. I liked the emphasis on godliness helping the girl to win her personal war in the candlestone and her prayer efforts for her unsaved anthrozil friend.
Bill Tillman
The second book in this series grew on me. The first was clumsy in parts and verse spouting did not always seem appropriate.

This time all the elements flow together nicely. The science is not too bad in dealing with light the villains are truly nasty, the reluctant hero gains insight to life as it meant to be lived. There are surprises galore, which really makes the series come alive for young people. Two thumbs up.
Harrison

I don't particularly want to write reviews for this series, but I can't bite my tongue on this one. This. Book. Is. Really. Really. WEIRD. I honestly don't even, to this day, have the time to sit here and write a review on a book I can't even completely understand. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'll let someone else have a crack at writing a review for this, because I really don't get it.
Laura Smith
I didn't think I could like a sequel to Raising Dragons as much as I liked the original, but The Candlestone hooked me from the beginning and carried me away down a stream of adventure full of tension and goosebumps. Davis does an incredible job of posing good and evil and the struggles between them in a fantasy with many unexpected twists and turns.
Brooke
I thought that The Candlestone nicely followed up the first book in the series. In this second book they introduce one of my favorite characters, Ashley, which makes it all the better. Everyone also seemed incredibly relatable, and it's really exciting which will keep you reading. I love those books you just can't put down, and this is one of them.
Diane
I enjoyed this one as much as the first in the series. The genre, to me, now seems to start riding the line between fantasy and science fiction, but although I'm not crazy about science fiction, I'm accepting it for now. I like the introduction of more characters, but I hope that won't spread the character development too thin as the series continues.
Regina Guzzo
We are again inthralled in the lives of our heroes Bonnie and Billy, as they take us on another journey into the modern Arthurian story! Who doesn't love a great Knights tale? Only this tale has something for everyone! It's not just fantasy but scientific as well. As well as simulating for those with a mind geared toward mystery and adventure!
MizziQ
This was a step up from the 1st one. However I didn't think it had a good plot to get me hooked. I really think Davis should have spent more time on character developement. If you pretty much like dragons and fighting, this book is for you. But if you like some good characters and meaty plot, I suggest you brwse elswhere.
Cole
after i read the first book in the series i couldnt wait to find this book! It had a few more parts that were harder to understand but still a great read. its about how a girl thinks that her mom is still alive b=and get transported into a stone that sucks the power from dragons. Another highly recomended book.
Awesome
Feb 06, 2008 Awesome rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Awesome by: My friend sarah told me about the series and said she luvd it so
~My Amazing Review~
Book : The Candlestone
Author: Bryan Davis
One word to decribe it: Suspence
Should you read this book? YES!
My Thoughts: This book was absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!! i luvd it! it had a lil bit of everything: suspense, drama, comedy,and a lil bit of love. Definately 5 starz!!!
Aden
Great sequel to a already amazing series I can't wait to read the next book. I love how Bryan Davis thickened the plot, answered many questions left from the first book and also created another storyline to be used in the next book, "Circles of Seven."
Elizabeth Lee
I just finished reading this book. The fact that I gave it five stars and am writing a review makes is obvious that I loved this book. I read this in two days time because I couldn't put it down. It is a must read and a beautiful follow up to Raising Dragons
M. W.
A well-written fantasy for young adults. I read the whole series and enjoyed it immensely.
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Restorer's Son (The Sword of Lyric #2)
  • Kingdom's Edge (Kingdom, #3)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
Bryan Davis is the author of the best-selling Dragons in Our Midst and Oracles of Fire series, contemporary/fantasy blends for young people. He has two books coming out this spring, Last of the Nephilim, the third book in the Oracles of Fire series, and Beyond the Reflection’s Edge, the first book in the new Echoes from the Edge series.

Bryan is also the author of several other works including The
More about Bryan Davis...
Raising Dragons (Dragons in Our Midst, #1) Circles of Seven (Dragons in Our Midst, #3) Tears of a Dragon (Dragons in Our Midst, #4) Eye of the Oracle (Oracles of Fire, #1) Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight, #1)

“William," the professor said, softly, "what now is your weapon?"...."Truth," he whispered, his voice rasping. He cleared his throat. "Truth is my sword."
...."And what now is your defense?" Colour returned to Billy's face, and his jaw tightened. His voice surged with emotion. "Faith...faith is my shield.”
45 likes
“Dear Heavenly Father,
I have a friend who stands as close as a brother, a brave soul.
I have seen in him the heart of a warrior...
He is gallant, loyal, and true, sacrificing his esteem, forfeiting his comfort, even spilling his blood.
But, what color is his soul?
My friend has a desperate need, and I have seen it.
How can I be his accuser, condemning the one who has gladly poured out his blood in my stead?
But shall I deny my witness?
There is a darkness, a gnawing void behind those eyes of steel...
Will you make him a knight, dressed in holy raiment, fit to take a seat at your table?”
9 likes