Start by marking “The Drama Years: Real Girls Talk About Surviving Middle School -- Bullies, Brands, Body Image, and More” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Today’s middle school girls have it rough.

In a few short years, they go through an incredible number of biological and emotional changes, making this the most formative—and riskiest—time in their lives. Groups turn on each other, a trusted childhood friend can reveal secrets by sending a text message or updating a Facebook status, and deciding
Published April 3rd 2012 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Drama Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drama Years

Lynn
A really helpful read. Would recommend to anyone with a middle school girl or one soon approaching those years. Easy, informative read with lots of input from middle school girls, high school girls(about what helped them), and parents. Kilpatrick shares her story about her middle school challenges and what led to the creation of Girl Talk. She really has useful ideas for parents to consider to help their girls navigate the tricky world of middle school. A little repetitive about the three core i ...more
Brandi
Since I have two daughters, ages 12 & 14, this book immediately appealed to me with just its title. Anyone who has raised a daughter knows it's all about drama when they get to the tween years. I've spent the past 4 years reading different books for parents of girls and selecting books to give to my daughters to help them deal with the drama in their life. This book is by far the BEST book I have found for parents. It gives real life examples from real kids so you can see their point of view ...more
Denise
Wished I had read this book 3 years ago instead of the last month of my daughter's eighth grade year - it would have helped with a lot of issues that came up! A must read for anyone that has a 6,7,8th grade age daughter.
Alyssa Archambo
The Drama Years is a book that gives parents advice for how to handle situations, and how to help their tween through what most people agree are the hardest years in terms of growing up: middle school. Haley Kilpatrick is the founder of Girl Talk, an organization that provides tween girls with a high school mentor (an adopted big sister, really). Using examples from her own life, comments from tweens today, and comments from high schoolers looking back on their middle school years, Kilpatrick gi ...more
Carlyn Craig
I liked this book and the ideas in it so much that I published it in audiobook format. If you'd like to order a copy, visit www.posthypnoticpress.com.

Haley Kilpatrick provides a clear and useful "heads-up" for parents of tween girls and the problems they are likely to encounter, the "drama, drama, drama" that can consume much of their emotional energy. Gone are the innocent days of elementary school when everyone seemed to be their friend. Now, friends can morph into enemies overnight and back a
Lisa Sheffield
Fascinating insights about tweens and how girls can be so mean during middle school. Good reading for the parent of a tween. Turns out the author is from my hometown and I know her parents, so that was sort of cool.
Carol Keely
great for parents with girls going off to middle school. Gave me some great tips on handling situations I will faced with in the upcoming years. Middle school is nothing like it was when I was there.
Linda
I read this book for some research I am doing. Very interesting. I remember seeing a lot of this behavior during the middle school years. I have a meeting about the research next week.
Kim Rader
I highly recommend this book to anyone with a daughter in middle school. It really helps make sense of their behavior and has given me some really good ideas for parenting.
Katie
This is an excellent read if you too are the mother of a soon to be middle schooler. Luckily middle school passes quickly.
Melissa
I'd recommend this book if only for the stress of importance on communication, on listening to your child, on what not to say.
Rachel
This book was practical and helped remind me of how it feels to be a tween girl.
Debbie
I learned about this book through the A Mighty Girl Facebook feed, and I'm so glad I did.

The author, Haley Kilpatrick, is a woman on a mission: ease the transition girls and their parents from elementary school to high school by focusing them on the positive coping mechanisms she was lucky enough to have while she traveled that journey. The three parts of this positive process are: have a physical outlet, have a older mentor who has recently been through the tween years, and have an on-going ser
Deb
A good read for anyone with a middle school girl.
Christine
Dani
As a soon to be teacher, I really appreciate this book on the basis that some of my elementary students may be experiencing some of this as the age of so called "drama" is going down. The only part that I didn't really like is that it rarely talked about girls who live in a single parent home headed by the father and how that might affect them emotionally or psychologically. I can tell from personal experience I was bullied as well as cyberbullied through middle and high school after moving many ...more
Melanie Dawson
A very helpful and informative read for anyone who has a adolescent or pre-adolescent daughter. I feel more knowledgable about how to help her navigate those dreaded middle school years!
Julie
Great read. Author has an amazing perspective.
Dorothea
This book is REALLY helpful and I know that it will be a resource that I will return to again and again. Wish that I had read it when my daughter was going into 5th grade so that I could be better prepared for what middle school was about and it's craziness!!
Rosie
A great read for parents, teachers, school counselors, and any others who work with middle school girls. I especially liked the comments from the girls...good to hear things from their point of view.
Natalie
I forgot to read the last chapter!

I just finished and it was really helpful and insightful. This is the kind of book I can see myself referencing again when specific issues come up.
Paige Brockmyre
Just what I needed! Brings so much into perspective, helps to let you know you are not the only parent that doesn't understand and let's you know what your preteen is really thinking.
oohlalalindz
A fantastic guide to dealing with a middle school girl's problems such as friends, boys, parents & self-worth.
One for the bookshelf at home.
Jenna
I had high hopes for this book but it’s more or less an extended advertisement for the author’s website/mentoring program.
Jenny
A useful read for parents of soon-to-be middle school girls, explained from the perspective of young teens.
Donna Alward
A really great book for parents of middle school kids. Recommend for parents and their kids too.
Karen
Slightly annoying tone of author, but some useful insight to the mind of Tweens.
Dorothea
Good backdrop for having discussions with a middle school age girl.
Michelle
Great ideas to defuse drama
Amy
very good for tween moms
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball
  • Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture
  • Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Tween
  • A Little F'd Up: Why Feminism Is Not a Dirty Word
  • Girls Will Be Girls: Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Living With Intensity
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Mothering and Daughtering: Keeping Your Bond Strong Through the Teen Years
  • The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life
  • The Lead Cloak
  • Love Works Like This: Moving from One Kind of Life to Another
  • The Honest Toddler: A Child's Guide to Parenting
  • The Anti-Education Era: Creating Smarter Students through Digital Learning
  • Autism & Asperger's Syndrome in Layman's Terms. Your Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and Other Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs).
  • Hothouse Kids: The Dilemma of the Gifted Child
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #3)
In 2002, at age 15, Girl Talk Founder & Executive Director Haley Kilpatrick dreamed of a program that would help middle school girls deal with the pressures and anxieties of being a young teen. Inspired by her own middle school experience, her vision was high school girls mentoring middle school girls. Girl Talk’s mission is to help middle school girls build self-esteem, develop leadership ski ...more
More about Haley Kilpatrick...
The Drama Years: Real Girls Talk About Surviving Middle School -- Bullies, Brands, Body Image, and More The Bullying Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Social Aggression and Cyberbullying The Bullying Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Social Aggression and Cyberbullying (Instant Help Solutions Series)

“Here's one way that we try to actively and immediately bring in kindness in our meetings and camps: we ask our girls to stop before they speak and reevaluate what they're going to say based on this acronym:

True
Honest
Important
Necessary
Kind

Is what they're out to say True? Is it Honest? Is it Important? Necessary Kind?
We ask the to T.H.I.N.K. before they speak text, or type, and try to incorporate it into their daily lives -- especially within their interactions with their friends and classmates -- as much as possible. It's a choice girls can make: Do they want to encourage others with their words, or bring others down?

You might think this won't resonate with your middle school girl, but I promise that it works. It's not about self-editing or asking her not to speak her truth, of course; it's about thinking of others too.”
2 likes