Start by marking “Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life of the Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II” as Want to Read:

"Rich in drama and tragedy" (The Guardian), here is a mesmerizing account of the extraordinary formative years of the man married to the most famous woman in the world

Before he met the young girl who became Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip had a tumultuous upbringing in Greece, France, Nazi Germany, and Britain. His mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, was born deaf; she
Published November 8th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Philip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Philip

Mar 31, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading about royalty. I know that sounds bad. Why would anyone care about the British royal family? Especially an American. Didn’t we fight a war to get rid of them?
Well, I still find the family interesting. Especially the older generation. So when I stumbled across a book about Prince Philip, I thought I would give it a go. My own image of him is as a crusty old man, a crank who seem to love to tweek the press and say whatever is on his mind, no matter how racist or dated.
But, after r
Oct 17, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biog
Interesting background on Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh before Elizabeth becomes Queen. Background on his parents and grandparents, answering the questions I always had about why was he known as Philip of Greece! Here you'll find out. His childhood was one of being shuffled around from family member to family member, not seeing much of his mother at all who had a nervous breakdown and he'd go for 5 years at a time without seeing her. His father, not much either. Yes, despite all of this, he b ...more
Aug 03, 2012 Jemidar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Enjoyable, highly readable and informative bio of Prince Philip's life up until his wife's coronation. Must admit, I didn't know much about Philip's background (other than he vaguely belonged to the royal family of Greece and that he & Elizabeth were distant cousins) and I found it much more interesting than I expected to. Interesting insight into the man who has been our Prince Consort for the last sixty years.
Paints a sympathetic picture of Prince Phillip. The family connections were particularly interesting.
Elizabeth Mary
Feb 13, 2013 Elizabeth Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of the early years in the life of Prince Philip from the the history of his Greek royal family till just after Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953. It includes the instability of Greece in the early 1900s, his birth on 10th June, 1921, the break up of his family due to the problems in Greece leading to his being shunted not only from country to country, but also from one member of the family to another. After spending time at a German boarding school just before the war, h ...more
May 02, 2012 Baniza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He married for more than sixty years to the most enduringly famous woman in the world.
Rich in drama ...
Oct 26, 2012 Hal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable easy read biography of an interesting man. Eade seems to take a neutral view on his life with a fairly balanced account. I cannot imagine any of the royals are thrilled to be written about but being in the public domain as they are all is fair.

Focused primarily his early life up to the early married life to the Queen, Eade shows how this man of royal birth weathered a very turbulent upbringing being passed off from one relative to the other in the absence of his recovering mother an
Staci Zirkle
Apr 02, 2013 Staci Zirkle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first official book that has ever existed to tell the story of Prince Philip's childhood and how he grew up. Most books about him are showcasing him from his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II and on. I had always wondered about who he was as a person and what made him decide to give up such a promissing career with the Royal Navy to become the Prince Consort. He can be very blunt with who he is, but I liked this book because even though he is who he is, he wasn't afraid to be who he was ...more
I read the biography of the Queen last year so I decided to read more about her husband. I found many of the details of his life fascinating. Who knew that he had so much early tragedy or that his mom became a nun? I definitely felt sorry for him as a child having no real roots or parental support. The book ends soon after Princess Elizabeth ascends to the throne. I would have liked to know more about his life as a parent and as the Queen's husband.

I gave the book only 3 stars because though th
I read this as a companion to Pamela (Mountbatten) Hicks's memoir, Daughter of Empire, a really fascinating look at life in the British upper class and royal circles in the early 20th century. Pamela's cousin, Philip, now the Duke of Edinburgh, popped in and out of that book, piquing my interest. This biography is a thorough exploration of his family's background, his unusual childhood and family life after post-exile from Greece, and his courtship and early years of marriage to the future Queen ...more
Dec 20, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew nothing about the Duke of Edinburgh before reading the book, well that's not totally true...I knew about his many moments of "open mouth, insert foot"...
I found the book fascinating and learned much about Philip. One being that he was an equal match in royal pedigree to his bride Elizabeth. I had no idea! It's a wonder that a man's man like Philip has been able to serve his Queen these many long years without exploding with frustration.
I do wish that the author had including a lineage ch
Nov 13, 2014 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Mr Eade has done his research very thoroughly, and his tone is authoritative and impartial – only when describing the moments of loss or hardship does a certain note of sympathy creep in. My impression of the young Prince Philip is that he was gifted in so many ways, devastatingly handsome, enthusiastic about life in general, and after the breaking up of his family he was very much in need of love and stability, which he found with our future Queen.

Read my full review:
May 06, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning about Philip's early life. He had no real home when he was a child, moving about among relatives and going to boarding schools. This book only goes up to when Elizabeth was crowned, so I would like to read more about his life as a father and as consort to the Queen. He gave up a career he loved (the Navy) after Elizabeth became queen and they were definitely not expecting that huge change in their lives so soon after they got married (5 years). It must have been hard fo ...more
Dec 22, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royalty-non-fic
In general I enjoyed this book. It covers Philip's family extensively as well as his life leading up to his marriage to Elizabeth and a few chapters on his life after marriage until she was crowned queen. It talks A LOT about his military service, but then I guess that is to be expected since that was a big part of his life before Elizabeth. His life really was filled with a lot of tragedy when he was a young child, it gives some insight to the person and character he comes across as today. Over ...more
Sep 21, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book.

I saw a small review on this book and wanted to know more. Reading this book took me two days but I was amazed at his skills, charm and accomplishments, even before he married Elizabeth. Philip of Greece would have been a successful man in the Royal Navy or another career but he chose Elizabeth and she chose him. The Queen knew she would need support and She chose well. A great read.
Oct 31, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It was very readable but heartbreaking to learn of his early life without home, family, emotions. He may be sometimes difficult now for those around him, but is certainly understandable and even admirable for the way he has supported the queen all these years. To accept such a background role shows tenacity, strength, and loyalty. Plus, he is such a good looking man--he really looks like a Prince Charming should look!
Dec 30, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Not a quick, easy, or light read, but very informative. I learned a ton about the ancestry of much of the royal families in Europe. Also learned about why Prince Philip may have had such a hard time being a father himself. Also didn't know that Prince Philip gave up his opportunity to one day rule Greece. Had only heard his Greek family was exiled, but at the time he decided to marry Elizabeth that was not the case. Good Read.
Avis Gill
Apr 05, 2013 Avis Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting insight on Prince Phillip from childhood to marrying Elizabeth.
Found him to have a sense of humor, a temper, loves children and sometimes an introvert,
depending on the situation. Somewhat strict with Prince Charles when he was growing up.
Phillip wanted to continue his Naval career, but that all changed when he married.
I recommend this book to is interested in Royalty and historical facts.
Feb 25, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting, easy to read book with a lot of history of Europe that I had not known, especially how much of the royalty were
related in many countries. Philip is an intriguing character and I
really thought he came across as a man who overcame adversity as a
child to live a life of quiet duty. He had his (small) faults but I admire his loyalty.
A look at the early life of Prince Philip of England. Born to a family of royal connections, but no money, Philip has to rely on the goodness of relatives as he is growing up.

Philip dreams of a Naval career. Unfortunately that ends up being put aside when he marries Queen Elizabeth II.

This book gives a good background on Philip.
Paul Jeffrey
Jan 28, 2014 Paul Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look into Prince Phillips life as a child and during the war up to the time he married Queen Elizabeth II. It offers a whole different story than most biographies based on after they became famous.
Ann Marie
Much better than I thought it would be. The first half in particular is very reminiscent of something Judith Krantz would have written, what with all of the inter-related royalty across Europe & the ties to Nazi Germany.
Apr 11, 2014 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. The Duke has not had an easy life in terms of a disrupted childhood and a life where he has been unable to use his strengths and talents to the full. He has however been extremely supportive to the Queen and helped her perform her duties to the utmost.
Donie Nelson
Oct 03, 2015 Donie Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy reading, wonderful details about the consort, explains his personality, his mother's bi-polar illness, hospitalizations & no home life.
Dec 29, 2013 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Put a story I already, sort of, knew into context - found his family tree rather, err, confusing.... in fact, made no attempt to sort it out!
Interesting insights on European politics between the world wars and how events unrolled in the context of prominent, but often impecunious< families.
Oct 03, 2013 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I currently have a huge crush on the husband of the Queen of England. That is all I am going to say!
Nicole Sunderlin
Eh, the best parts involve the Queen and the Royal family.
Just read something on her, she's much more levelheaded.
Victoria Johnston
I adore Prince Philip and this book is very good. Gives an excellent insight into his life before he became the Consort to the Queen.
Margaret Bryant
Aug 28, 2012 Margaret Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable despite many confusingly similiarly named relatives. He had a seriously mixed up youth.
  • The Queen Mother: The Official Biography
  • Uncrowned King: The Life of Prince Albert
  • The Reluctant King: The Life and Reign of George VI, 1895-1952
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
  • Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Edward VII: The Last Victorian King