Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #6)

Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon #6)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"One of my favorite authors, Val McDermid is an important writer--witty, never sentimental, taking us through mean streets with the dexterity of a Chandler."--Sara Paretsky

"There is no one in contemporary crime fiction who has managed to combine the visceral and the humane as well as Val McDermid. . . . She's the best we've got."--"The New York Times Book Review"

"Val McDer...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Bywater Books (first published April 2003)

Margo
Aug 27, 2011 Margo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY
This was just crap. A weak implausible story made worse by a nauseating icky lesbian sub plot. It was real "Pass the Sickbag Alice" stuff.
Ingo
Started this one December 26th, 2012. Back2back reading of the whole Lindsay Gordon series by Val McDermid.
Sorry to say that so far this is the last one of the series.
Starts interesting.
Urks, well, as a men I have real trouble understanding the need for a child.
And I would have written a much more grittier ending, not that saccharin-solution.
One or two of the main ladies should have taken the plunge - dying during childbirth and leaving L. with the child would have
been a nice twist.
As it is, onl...more
Jo
This is the first of the Lindsay Gordon series that I've read, and I found it very different to the Tony Hill series, which I've really enjoyed. The central character is a journalist who has moved back to Glasgow from the USA because of her girlfriends career. At a loose end for work, she meets another younger lesbian journalist, who offers her work. They get involved in rescuing a child who's been kidnapped and taken to Russia, but it turns out things are more complicated than that...
It took a...more
Erin
I was really disappointed in this book as the last of the Lindsay series. At least I'm guessing it's the last since it's been nearly a decade without more books to the series. And she brought in kids...which always seems to mark the end of a series.

But yeah, I thought the whole bit about going to Russia to help retrieve a kidnapped kid was rather a stretch. Though perhaps it just felt oddly out of place in this series since it wasn't really a murder investigation like the rest of the series. Als...more
Katie
Eh, it was OK. It wasn't really a mystery though, as for most of the book, it was clear what had happened and it was just a matter of fixing things. I wasn't clear on the characters' motivations, like why Lindsey and Rory would go all the way to Russia in a highly illegal child-snatching scheme, for the sake of a story. It also made no sense: didn't the police who took the missing child report notice that Jack was back? Didn't they have any questions about that?

The ending was ridiculous and unr...more
Victoria
"One of my favourite series has come out of retirement for what feels like a farewell encore but I hope it isn't. It's curiously published by "V. L. McDermid" rather than the regular "Val" which looked like some strange publishing industry shennanigans to me but actually comes down to a really boring bit of accounting.

This is more of a thriller than the previous Lindsay Gordon stories with Lindsay back in Glasgow but chasing off to St Petersburg after a kidnapped child. Excellent entertainment."...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

JodiP
This was the last Lindsay Gordon book--I very much wish there were more! However, McDermid does a great job of wrapping up the character's life, with a great mystery and a new, very temporary fling. Even though you had to know all would turn out well, Lindsay been enough of a shit in life to entertain the chance she might have betrayed Sophie permanently.
Ginnz
The story we ok but really was put off by the side story about the main characters home life was a little too much for me. The Book got put down and ignored more than once because i felt it wasn't going anywhere. The last third of the book was when I felt gripped by the story was worthwhile
Tiffany
love val mcdermid, but this one was full of unlikeable characters and a load-of-crap ending. i might read more of the series out of sheer desperation, but this text begs the familiar question: why does art (fiction, film, etc.) that foregrounds lesbian characters always have to suck??
Abra
I hate mysteries that vilify the IRA. I have liked Lindsay Gordon as a lesbian journalist sleuth, but I wish that McDermid had been true to her own intention to stop at five books. The only worthwhile part of this mystery was Sophie's subplot. The rest of it, I Did Not Like.
Bettynz
Also a good read, but see my comment for booked for murder. This one had the added fascination of the technical details of AI. Bring back the turkey baster, I say. Laughed out loud at the details of how you keep it warm in the meantime (I hope it was meant to be comedy!).
kat
i found the romance sub-plot in the backdrop much more entertaining than the murder plot, and even that felt shallow and too trite at the end. i loved wire in the blood so wanted to give a few of her books a go, better luck next time!
Naomi
Val saved the best LG book for last. The series wasn't one of my favorite, I thought this was mild compared to the VM books I know, have read and loved...I am happy that this was the last book and the LG went out with a bang!
Obisbooks
Interesting murder focus but I hadn't read any of the earlier ones so the main characters I didn't quite connect with their motives for things, but I liked it.
Ann
I found it plain silly. I was impatient with the characters and the plot resolution was unbelievable. I have however enjoyed other books that she has written.
Bywater Books
"There is no one in contemporary crime fiction who has managed to combine the visceral and the humane as well as Val McDermid." -The New York Times Book Review
Kaylol
It's good. A young boy is kidnapped and Lindsay saves him in a not-so-legal way but6 has to find a way to save him again....
Leigh
Hostage to Murder: A Lindsay Gordon Mystery (Lindsay Gordon Mystery Series) by V. L. McDermid (2005)
Lisa
IRA, journalism and a lesbo pregnancy make it an interesting enough though not compelling read.
Lorna
Got bored and cant remember why so could not have good. Quite forgettable in fact
Ricardo
Not one of McDermid's best, but easy and light read for a quiet afternoon
Fiona MacLellan
not my favourite in the Lindsay Gordon series but not a bad read.
David
A good story with sufficient pace to keep me interested.
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • A Reason to Kill
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Rebus's Scotland
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • Justice in the Shadows (Justice, #3)
  • Touchwood
  • Always (Aud Torvingen #3)
  • Eye of the Storm (Dar and Kerry, #3)
  • Nine Lives (Sam Archer, #1)
  • Finding Home
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Murder At The Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn, #2)
  • The Stranger Beside You
Val McDermid was born and schooled on the east coast of Scotland and then Oxford University after which she became a journalist.

Her first book, Report for Murder was published in 1987 and since then she has gone on to have 25 more books published.

She lives in Manchester and Northumberland with 3 cats.
More about Val McDermid...
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) The Wire In The Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2) A Place of Execution The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4) Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6)