Start by marking “The Life and Teachings of the New Testament Apostles: From the Day of Pentecost Through the Apocalypse (Life & Teachings #4)” as Want to Read:

What impact did conversion to the gospel have for first century Gentiles?
How were the words of Jesus transmitted prior to the writing of the Gospels?
How do the epistles from Peter and John relate to those from Paul?
How can we know what messages the book of Revelation has for us today?

If you’ve wondered about such questions, you’ll value the answers in this book. A follow-u
Published September 8th 2010 by Deseret Book

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Teachings of the New Testament Apostles

Bev
Apr 29, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-history
This book is a series of essays by BYU professors. Excellent up to date inforation, recent findings, covering not just the apostles but the Church as a whole and how the apostasy came about. I was amazed to learn the early Christian Church was much bigger than I thought and that persecution was only a minor reason for it's demise. Surprised to read specifics of the apostasy in the letters of Paul and others. Great detail on what the early church was like, worldly temptations, and influende of Ch ...more
Monk
Sep 06, 2011 Monk rated it it was amazing
Very solid collection of essays relating to the New Testament and the first and second century churches. I actually wasn't expecting as much post-NT content as there was, and I learned quite a bit from that material.

These types of collections have been a mainstay of LDS religious scholarship, rather than one full book written by an individual, and usually the articles are a mixed bag...some great, some lousy, and several off-topic that appear to have been published as a result of a lost bet by
Steven
Feb 22, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Ok, I'm not gonna talk about the book for a minute- but the artwork on the cover.

It's an incredibly striking painting. I absolutely adore it.

I'm named for Saint Stephen (though spelled different because my mother was annoyed by all the English people who insisted to her that Americans spell it wrong) and have always enjoyed his story of diligence in the face of overwhelming danger. He was martyred yet faced his fate without fear.

This art manages to encapsulate all of this.

The book is brillia
Amy
Aug 04, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Doing some research for Sunday School. Learned a lot of stuff. The Gospels weren't written until 30 + years after the death of Christ. Paul was an apostle, one of the twelve, but no one knows exactly when he was ordained. The church organization in the first century A.D. was very similar to the church organization in our dispensation. Etc. Etc.
Lisa Reising
Feb 19, 2013 Lisa Reising rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Excellent essays giving insight and background while studying the New Testament epistles. I especially enjoyed the writings on how the apostasy happened so soon after Christ established His gospel on earth.
Larry
May 01, 2012 Larry rated it really liked it
This has been a great series! I learned a lot!
Robert Boylan
Robert Boylan rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Steven Seelig
Steven Seelig rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Connie
Connie added it
May 16, 2012
Orion
Orion marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
J Newman
J Newman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
Benjamin Allred
Benjamin Allred marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Morgan
Morgan added it
Jan 28, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ja7mz
Ja7mz added it
Oct 26, 2014
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
David B.hoggan
David B.hoggan marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Diane L
Diane L marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
T
T marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Dan Gunderson
Dan Gunderson marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Christin Swayze
Christin Swayze marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
S. Ryan
S. Ryan is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Gary Gudmundson
Gary Gudmundson marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2017
Dallin Perry
Dallin Perry marked it as to-read
May 11, 2017
Andrea Ventilla
Andrea Ventilla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2017
Dr. Richard Holzapfel is a Professor of Church History in the Religious Education Department at BYU. He attended BYU, Hebrew Union College, and the University of California, Irvine (B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.) emphasizing in Middle Eastern Studies, Jewish History, Ancient History. Dr. Holzapfel began teaching at Brigham Young University in 1993, and has taught in the Church History, Ancient Scripture, ...more
More about Richard Neitzel Holzapfel...

Life & Teachings (4 books)
  • The Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ: From Bethlehem through the Sermon on the Mount (Life & Teachings #1)
  • The Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ: From the Transfiguration through the Triumphal Entry (Life & Teachings #2)
  • The Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ: From the Last Supper through the Resurrection — The Savior's Final Hours (Life & Teachings #3)