Cronache del basso futuro

Cronache del basso futuro

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Tecnologie impazzite, ribelli telematici, realtà virtuali, ecologie stravolte, guerre multimediali, manipolazioni genetiche: è questo il "basso futuro", uno scenario di estrema decadenza assai sinistro e inquietante. Ma soprattutto incredibilmente vicino al nostro presente...
Su questo sfondo profetico Bruce Sterling, autore di culto sempre più conosciuto e apprezzato anche...more
Paperback, Piccola Biblioteca Oscar, 308 pages
Published 2005 by Mondadori (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Cronache del basso futuro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cronache del basso futuro

Tancredi
Non so davvero perché, ma non riesco ancora a farmi piacere Sterling come vorrei. E dire che lui è proprio il padre cofondatore del genere che più amo, il cyberpunk. Alla fantascienza visionaria e ipertecnologica di Gibson, che preferisco, si affianca quella più sociologica e geopolitica di Sterling. L'obiettivo che l'autore si pone in questi undici racconti è di dare vita ad altrettante visioni di futuro, rigorose e concrete.
Se certe visioni risultano oggi superate, e altre decisamente fuori fu...more
Evan
Bruce Sterling is a solid writer. Sometimes brilliant. Weird, picaresque, and clever, clever, clever.

The Leggy Starlitz stories show off Sterling's sense of humor, "The Shores of Bohemia" his sometimes dizzying mix of big ideas, and "Dori Bangs" the compassion beneath his slick cyberpunk exterior. "Jim and Irene" seems a bit adolescent and underbaked, as does "The Moral Bullet."

But, of course, "We See Things Differently" is one the greatest science fiction stories of all time.
Kamas Kirian
This collection of short stories by Bruce Sterling is pretty good. Some of the stories are stronger than others. I particularly liked Storming the Cosmos, Jim and Irene, The Moral Bullet and Hollywood Kremlin. I wasn't real taken with Our Neural Chernobyl or Dori Bangs; not because of content but because of style. The Soviet Union/Russia and Islam make several appearances throughout the collection.

Our Neural Chernobyl - fictional book review about cross species medical/drug contamination future...more
Stephen
An icon of the cyberpunk movement and a deservedly respected nonfiction writer as well, Sterling is less well known for his short story output. Globalhead, an early collection is evidence that this is an oversight. In fact, I'd rank his short stories just beneath his nonfiction, particularly The Hacker Crackdown, and above his novel length excursions in science fiction. Standout stories include the faux book review Our Neural Chernobyl, the odd coupling Jim and Irene, the historical Middle East...more
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Se certe visioni risultano oggi superate, e altre decisamente fuori fu...more
Devero
La nostra Chernobyl neurale (Our Neural Chernobyl)è decisamnete buono.
Il Compassionevole, il Digitale (The Compassionate, the Digital) è il primo di una serie di racconti in cui Sterling analizza l'islam di oggi e di ieri e mostra come pensa e perché si deve temerlo.
Jim e Irene (Jim and Irene) è un racconto leggibile.
La spada di Damocle (The Sword of Damocles)è un altro racconto leggibile.
Le guerre del Golfo (The Gulf Wars) è una piccola perla, che deve ricordare a tutti come vanno le cose in qu...more
Glen Engel-Cox
Just comments on a few stories in Globalhead by Bruce Sterling, not the whole book.

"Our Neural Chernobyl" - I remember reading this in its original appearance in Fantasy and Science Fiction, and it just gets better on the second time. A mock review of a pop science book from 2056, Bruce is transliterating the background and research from his The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier into a future where genetic hacking replaces computer hacking. But that's just the startin...more
Dan York
I remember first reading this collection of short stories when it came out in 1991 in the midst of all the great cyberpunk stories that were coming out in those days. At that time I thoroughly enjoyed it and probably would have given it 4 or 5 stars had Goodreads been around. Bruce Sterling is an excellent writer and I enjoy his work... and many of these stories are very well done.

But... 20 years later a number of the stories are now quite dated with their Cold War references and other nuances...more
Dave Peticolas

No memory. None. Wonder what it was about?

Ben Hunt
Sterling's short fiction is, as far as I have seen, completely unrelated to his long-form stuff, and so much better that it reaches out of any kind of genre and becomes something that, once upon a simpler time, might be considered the animating spirit of our nation. Of course Sterling would probably hate that idea, nations, spirits, etc. It should be some kind of animating spirit, anyway.

My favorite story in this volume is "Dori Bangs" . . . I can't adequately express how I feel about it. It mig...more
Althea Ann
A collection of short stories from this cyberpunk writer. Recurring themes/elements include Russia/Cold War, the Middle East, organized crime and drugs... a lot of it reminded me a bit of J.G. Ballard. It culminates in a truly weird what-if story about rock critic Lester Bangs and an obscure underground comic book artist meeting and getting married. Some weird stuff!
Spencer
Globalhead is rather uneven, with a few stores that border on tedious. However, it's worth it for the two or three pieces that are out of this world. In fact, it might be worth it just for "The Unthinkable," a magical realist's take on post-Cold War relations between the US and Russia, which might just be one of my favorite shorts of all time.
Jday
Sterling writes great stories. My only issue with him is that these short stories don't feel like short stories. They feel like pieces taken from novels or novellas. Many of the stories from this book and his other short story collections should be novels. The characters are engaging and the plots are interesting and sometimes fantastic.
Comedian999
Not a bad story in the bunch (This is a collection of short stories), and with the couple about conflict between radical Islam and the West, eerily prescient... although hopefully not too prescient (Because the West falls in each of them). A solid introduction to Sterling.
Jaime
Interesantes relatos, aunque no todos son de ciencia ficción. Involucran los temas que obsesionan a Sterling, Rusia, la guerra fría y la biotecnología.
Aneel
Some interesting pieces in this short story collection, but nothing truly amazing. Lots of Cold War and post-Cold War ruminations.
Nirgal
Nirgal added it
Sep 17, 2014
Kent
Kent marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Legymbeaub
Legymbeaub marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Clay Hackett
Clay Hackett marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Daniel J.
Daniel J. marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
  • Toast
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
  • Redrobe
  • A Fire in the Sun (Marîd Audran #2)
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • The Gabble: And Other Stories
  • Endangered Species
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • Visible Light
  • Ribofunk
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...
Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology Islands in the Net Schismatrix Plus Heavy Weather The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

“They can't strike against smugglers! We're not the government. We are a criminal private-enterprise operation!” 0 likes