Start by marking “Cronache del basso futuro” as Want to Read:
Cronache del basso futuro

Cronache del basso futuro

Tecnologie impazzite, ribelli telematici, realtà virtuali, ecologie stravolte, guerre multimediali, manipolazioni genetiche: è questo il "basso futuro", uno scenario di estrema decadenza assai sinistro e inquietante. Ma soprattutto incredibilmente vicino al nostro presente...
Su questo sfondo profetico Bruce Sterling, autore di culto sempre più conosciuto e apprezzato anche
Paperback, Piccola Biblioteca Oscar, 308 pages
Published 2005 by Mondadori (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Cronache del basso futuro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cronache del basso futuro

T4ncr3d1
Oct 31, 2011 T4ncr3d1 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, statunitensi
Non so davvero perché, ma non riesco ancora a farmi piacere Sterling come vorrei. E dire che lui è proprio il padre cofondatore del genere che più amo, il cyberpunk. Alla fantascienza visionaria e ipertecnologica di Gibson, che preferisco, si affianca quella più sociologica e geopolitica di Sterling. L'obiettivo che l'autore si pone in questi undici racconti è di dare vita ad altrettante visioni di futuro, rigorose e concrete.
Se certe visioni risultano oggi superate, e altre decisamente fuori fu
Evan
May 26, 2008 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Sterling is a solid writer. Sometimes brilliant. Weird, picaresque, and clever, clever, clever.

The Leggy Starlitz stories show off Sterling's sense of humor, "The Shores of Bohemia" his sometimes dizzying mix of big ideas, and "Dori Bangs" the compassion beneath his slick cyberpunk exterior. "Jim and Irene" seems a bit adolescent and underbaked, as does "The Moral Bullet."

But, of course, "We See Things Differently" is one the greatest science fiction stories of all time.
Kamas Kirian
This collection of short stories by Bruce Sterling is pretty good. Some of the stories are stronger than others. I particularly liked Storming the Cosmos, Jim and Irene, The Moral Bullet and Hollywood Kremlin. I wasn't real taken with Our Neural Chernobyl or Dori Bangs; not because of content but because of style. The Soviet Union/Russia and Islam make several appearances throughout the collection.

Our Neural Chernobyl - fictional book review about cross species medical/drug contamination future
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Nov 13, 2011 La Stamberga dei Lettori rated it liked it
Shelves: tancredi
Se certe visioni risultano oggi superate, e altre decisamente fuori fu
Glen Engel-Cox
Just comments on a few stories in Globalhead by Bruce Sterling, not the whole book.

"Our Neural Chernobyl" - I remember reading this in its original appearance in Fantasy and Science Fiction, and it just gets better on the second time. A mock review of a pop science book from 2056, Bruce is transliterating the background and research from his The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier into a future where genetic hacking replaces computer hacking. But that's just the startin
Devero
Aug 08, 2013 Devero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La nostra Chernobyl neurale (Our Neural Chernobyl)è decisamnete buono.
Il Compassionevole, il Digitale (The Compassionate, the Digital) è il primo di una serie di racconti in cui Sterling analizza l'islam di oggi e di ieri e mostra come pensa e perché si deve temerlo.
Jim e Irene (Jim and Irene) è un racconto leggibile.
La spada di Damocle (The Sword of Damocles)è un altro racconto leggibile.
Le guerre del Golfo (The Gulf Wars) è una piccola perla, che deve ricordare a tutti come vanno le cose in qu
Stephen
Apr 26, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An icon of the cyberpunk movement and a deservedly respected nonfiction writer as well, Sterling is less well known for his short story output. Globalhead, an early collection is evidence that this is an oversight. In fact, I'd rank his short stories just beneath his nonfiction, particularly The Hacker Crackdown, and above his novel length excursions in science fiction. Standout stories include the faux book review Our Neural Chernobyl, the odd coupling Jim and Irene, the historical Middle East ...more
Dan York
Sep 24, 2012 Dan York rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
I remember first reading this collection of short stories when it came out in 1991 in the midst of all the great cyberpunk stories that were coming out in those days. At that time I thoroughly enjoyed it and probably would have given it 4 or 5 stars had Goodreads been around. Bruce Sterling is an excellent writer and I enjoy his work... and many of these stories are very well done.

But... 20 years later a number of the stories are now quite dated with their Cold War references and other nuances
Ben Hunt
Apr 01, 2012 Ben Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Sterling's short fiction is, as far as I have seen, completely unrelated to his long-form stuff, and so much better that it reaches out of any kind of genre and becomes something that, once upon a simpler time, might be considered the animating spirit of our nation. Of course Sterling would probably hate that idea, nations, spirits, etc. It should be some kind of animating spirit, anyway.

My favorite story in this volume is "Dori Bangs" . . . I can't adequately express how I feel about it. It mig
Mike S
Oct 09, 2014 Mike S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
I'm surprised that this book got such great ratings, I only liked a few of the stories, one was really good, several were not good at all. To me the author reads like a very bright and promising beginning author who hasn't quite identified his strengths, and weaknesses. He's capable of really good science fiction, maybe he's trying to carve out a new niche for himself, right now that's incipient, he's got a long way to go before he comes anywhere close to what William Gibson accomplished.
Fatman
Mar 23, 2016 Fatman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eclectic mix of short stories from one of Cyberpunk's founding fathers. Personal favorites were "Storming the Cosmos" and "The Unthinkable". "We See Things Differently" is a masterpiece, and might just be the best alternative history story I've ever read. That story merits a six-star rating. Of the rest, some were humorous, others thought-provoking. Not a single bad story in the collection, which one doesn't see often.
Althea Ann
A collection of short stories from this cyberpunk writer. Recurring themes/elements include Russia/Cold War, the Middle East, organized crime and drugs... a lot of it reminded me a bit of J.G. Ballard. It culminates in a truly weird what-if story about rock critic Lester Bangs and an obscure underground comic book artist meeting and getting married. Some weird stuff!
Jday
Apr 07, 2008 Jday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sterling writes great stories. My only issue with him is that these short stories don't feel like short stories. They feel like pieces taken from novels or novellas. Many of the stories from this book and his other short story collections should be novels. The characters are engaging and the plots are interesting and sometimes fantastic.
Spencer
Aug 09, 2007 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Globalhead is rather uneven, with a few stores that border on tedious. However, it's worth it for the two or three pieces that are out of this world. In fact, it might be worth it just for "The Unthinkable," a magical realist's take on post-Cold War relations between the US and Russia, which might just be one of my favorite shorts of all time.
Comedian999
May 17, 2011 Comedian999 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story in the bunch (This is a collection of short stories), and with the couple about conflict between radical Islam and the West, eerily prescient... although hopefully not too prescient (Because the West falls in each of them). A solid introduction to Sterling.
Dave Peticolas

No memory. None. Wonder what it was about?

Aug 24, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this; the variety of stories and settings made this a good read. It requires the ability to change modes fairly quickly, since it's a pretty wide-ranging set of short stories.
John Owen
A very mixed bunch of stories from Sterling, always an uneven writer. Nothing here is what I would call essential reading. Strictly for the aficionado or completist.
Jaime
Jan 13, 2013 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesantes relatos, aunque no todos son de ciencia ficción. Involucran los temas que obsesionan a Sterling, Rusia, la guerra fría y la biotecnología.
Graham
Great collection - a much more diverse and broader array of settings and characters than I had imagined, and all the better for it.
Aneel
Feb 09, 2010 Aneel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting pieces in this short story collection, but nothing truly amazing. Lots of Cold War and post-Cold War ruminations.
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Mattr
Mattr rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Stuart
Stuart rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2017
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2014
Roger Benham
Roger Benham rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Eduardo
Eduardo rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Shrimpknuckles
Shrimpknuckles rated it did not like it
Nov 17, 2014
nathan c taylor
nathan c taylor rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
  • Facets
  • Toast, and Other Stories
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
  • Redrobe
  • Budayeen Nights
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Escape Velocity: Cyberculture at the End of the Century
  • Endangered Species
  • Elvissey
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • The Long Night
  • Eclipse Penumbra (A Song Called Youth, #2)
  • Visible Light
  • Sauron Dominion (War World, #3)
  • Crystal Nights and Other Stories
  • True Names: and the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier
  • The Gabble: And Other Stories
  • Infinite Dreams
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...

“They can't strike against smugglers! We're not the government. We are a criminal private-enterprise operation!” 0 likes