Start by marking “Frogs! (National Geographic Readers Series)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Frogs!

Elizabeth Carney

Frogs! (National Geographic Readers)

Published May 20th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Frogs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frogs!

Laura Gilfillan
Picture book, for Spanish practice. It had nice simple language and was clear and entertaining. No English translation.
Megan Cureton
Frogs! is a book, of course, the different types of frogs and different fun facts about them. This book has a bunch of different facts that range from talking about frogs sizes to their physical features. I would have to say that the two coolest facts that stood out to me would have to be that the world's smallest frog is the size of a fingernail and that the world's largest frog is the size of a rabbit. I found myself wondering what I would ever do if I accidentally came across a frog that big! ...more
This book was very interesting for an informational book. I liked it. It looked more casual, like a magazine than a book. It felt more inviting yet it still offered the information about frogs. I would have my students read this if they were doing a research project on frogs or if we decided to raise some tadpoles from my pond (in which I would release the frogs back into my pond). I liked the reading activity my classmates did with this book. We circled words we thought would be in the book and ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "WHAT WAS THAT? That’s the roaring burp of a bullfrog! SEE THAT? That’s the slick, shiny skin of colorful little rainforest frogs! Alive with froggy facts, this book has the coolest photos to bring kids deep into the swampy world of our amphibian amigos."

My Review: This is one of the first non-fiction books that I have read with Munchkin, and while it might be a little advanced for him, this book really captured his attention. It is a simple book for beginning readers or younger childr
Amber
I thought this was a really great informational book, and I must say I learned a lot about frogs by reading it. One thing that I thought was good was all the different photographs of all the different frogs around the world. I also felt like it was very age appropriate for younger audiences. While there were a lot of facts, I didn't feel so overwhelmed with information that I couldn't remember any of it when I was done reading it. I felt like it was just enough information to get younger readers ...more
Lauren Barone
What a great twist on the life of a frog! This book gives kids such detailed descriptions and pictures of the many different types of frogs that live in different habitats around the world. the details in this story were incredible and just difficult enough to challenge the children as they read! I would use this book in teaching the children all about nature and the small animals that live there.
Kristin
Apr 27, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lcrt5795
I used this book to prompt discussions on life cycles. This is one of many National Geographic Kids books that we have read, since the children love the real pictures. The genuine quality of the pictures help children concretely understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction; and based upon how often they return to these books on the shelf, it seems like they can not get enough of the real world! Thank you National Geographic!
Savannah Work
Mar 28, 2014 Savannah Work rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
National Geographic's book on frogs contains science concepts as well as geographic concepts. The photographs are of real frogs, they're colorful and will maintain a child's interest. The children would also enjoy the "comic book" looking illustrations that are in there with the facts. The book is very informative.

In the classroom: This books contains facts and photographs of the frogs and their habitats, this book can be used in a lesson on life cycles as well as geography.
Kylie Hodgson
Dec 06, 2014 Kylie Hodgson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book to pair with another fictional story about frogs. This book really does a great job of identifying different types of frogs for children and also using bright colors and bright text to keep the children engaged. It paired really well with the fictional story I chose and allowed the children to become more aware about different types of frogs before reading a story about a frog family.
Kim
Apr 18, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love frogs, and this book is packed with information that I didn't even know. This book could be used in a classroom for Science while incorporating predicting, and the ideas found in informational text. I LOVED this book, and would love to have the National Geographic books in my own classroom.
Michelle
Feb 17, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literacy-class
This is a National Geographic Kids book rated level 1. This is a non-fiction book with great real like pictures. The main text of this book is a level 1. But most pages have a little box of supporting information that definately would be too hard for a young reader to read. Would be a great book for the reader to read the main text and then the adult read the bonus information to them.
Danielle Messer
This book is very informational for students. It goes through different types of frogs as well as toads. It is informational about the frog cycle. There is a few vocab words in the back that students may not know before reading this book. It also mentions a few other books on frogs that they might like to read if they enjoyed this book.
Yessenia Maldonado
All about frogs! An easy reader book that gives you information about frogs. It also includes riddles and definitions for certain words. All the images are real pictures. Informs on all different kinds of frogs, their size, color and life cycle. It concludes with the instructions for the happy frog dance. Nice easy book for children to read.
Katie Nanney
This informational book about frogs was very easy to read and had a lot of information. I loved the colored photographs and fun facts. It would make a nice addition to a science lesson. I would want to keep a set in my classroom for future reference and to teach a lesson.
Emily
This was a great informational book for students to dive into to learn about frogs. The book is a simple read, and could be used as a resource for a paper based off of the National Geographic Readers. Also, this could be used as a word prediction text for students.
Beth
Oct 29, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
National Geographic Kids Frogs! Is a wonderful children's life science book. This book would be appropriate for 2nd graders. I would use this book in the classroom to discuss life cycles. Frogs! Is about different types of frogs and the life cycle of frogs.
Megan Glass
Aug 22, 2015 Megan Glass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book twice, once to my son and once to myself. I never knew there was so many different frogs. I only knew about the tadpoles, big and baby frogs and toads. I touched a toad before but I never knew they are poisonous. This book taught me alot.
Kelly Powell
This book was an interesting read even though I am not exactly interested in frogs. The facts were presented in a way in which I was able to understand and even laugh at some of the text. This would be a great book when discussing wild life, animals or life cycles.
Jordan Williams
Apr 21, 2015 Jordan Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
I really enjoy informational text, such as this one. It does not look like your reading a book, yet you learn so much. This is filled with information about frogs. Great mentor text to have during a science lesson!
Mrs Bond
May 21, 2011 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Filled with facts and photos, this text aims to grab the reader’s attention. The larger type size and colorful text bubbles usher the reader from page to page of fascinating information on frogs. Includes table of contents, brief visual glossary.
Jessica Lauber
Lots of easy to understand information. Interesting facts. Colorful pictures. Entertaining with additional jokes every few pages. Easy reader.
Carol
Ged read 6-16-13
Miranda Rae Carter
May 13, 2013 Miranda Rae Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
These National Geographic reads are hot item in my house. I love how my kids are fascinated with animals and learning about them. Great reads and I highly recommend them.
Brent Rogers
Apr 15, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
This book is all about frogs! How big can they get? Are they poisonous? What colors can they be? All of these will be answered in the book!
Hollee Young
I thought this book was very informational! I loved the exercise we did with this in class! I will definitely use the same concept in my future classroom! The pictures were amazing!
Pricela
Jun 03, 2015 Pricela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

I really like this book about frogs. I used it for my kindergarten book report. It had good pictures

Gianna, age 5
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really like the structure and style of these early readers by National Geographic.
Katie Morrison
The book is a great book for those starting to read chapter books. It is great because it is informational about frogs, but also has a glossary in the back.
Ashley
Jun 03, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Good book. Great to use when studying about the life cycles of frogs.
LaTorri Arroyo
LaTorri Arroyo rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Penguins!
  • Snakes! (National Geographic Readers)
  • Dinosaurs
  • Children of the Great Depression
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Biscuit Takes a Walk
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • About Birds: A Guide for Children
  • Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North
  • Coral Reefs
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Programmed
Elizabeth Carney is a writer and editor based in Brooklyn, New York. She specializes in children's nonfiction and science, math, and STEM-related subjects.

Elizabeth received the 2005 AAAS Science Journalism Award for science reporting for children. Her titles Face to Face With Cheetahs, Face to Face With Gorillas, and Great Migrations: Whales, Wildebeests, Butterflies, Elephants, and Other Amazing
More about Elizabeth Carney...

National Geographic Readers (1 - 10 of 97 books)
  • Ants
  • Bats
  • Caterpillar to Butterfly (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cats vs. Dogs (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cheetahs
  • Deadliest Animals (National Geographic Readers)
  • Deadly Predators (National Geographic Readers)
  • Dinosaurs
  • Dolphins
  • Great Migrations: Whales (National Geographic Readers)