Start by marking “The Diversion (Animorphs, #49)” as Want to Read:
The Diversion (Animorphs, #49)

The Diversion (Animorphs #49)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,217 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Tobias and the other Animorphs discover that their enemies, the Yeerks, have finally begun to figure out that the Andalite bandits they have been fighting are actually humans, members of an organized resistence movement.
Published January 2001 by Apple (first published December 10th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Diversion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diversion

Almira
There's a reason why I will always be a fan of Tobias - he's consistently sad and broken no matter how hard he tries. I have no idea why I end up liking characters who have this massive tragedy within them that just don't go away, because I don't have this kind of life, I don't relate to this, but, ah, yeah, maybe that's exactly why.

This book's really sad. And it's about to get sadder. Actually Rachel started the sadness in book 48. But Tobias-sad is a different kind, it's Van Gogh sad, in my op
Julie Decker
Because the Yeerks have built a computer that analyzes blood and have been looking for mysterious samples, the Animorphs realize their disguise as "Andalite bandits" might be over. The Yeerks probably know they're human. They develop a plan to sneak into the facility that's testing their blood--from samples they've left all along bleeding at every fight--and they find that a computer has identified Tobias's blood as being a partial match with his mother's. It's only a matter of time before all o ...more
Swankivy
As much as I wished these things would never end, I wanted to see how it ends up. Things are changing that never changed before--the Yeerks know who the Animorphs are, and are ready to use their humanity against them by going after their families. Finally drastic measures must be taken. This one doesn't miss a beat--the fear and disbelief inherent in the families discovering their children aren't what they've been pretending to be for ages, and the idea that they have to put their trust in their ...more
alternBRUNO°°
I got thrown off balance at the beginning and the middle, when the families got involved. It made me remember my so loved first passages of HP 7, but I also liked the action with Tobias' mother and how lines are getting tighter and closer. Five books to go, and I'm getting all the nerves from the near ending.
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
description

The Yeerks are finally on to the possibility of the Animorphs being human, and have started collecting blood samples to track the animal DNA floating in blood collected from previous fights. This means the Animorphs need to pull their families out now and run for the hills. Even Tobias, who has finally been reunited with a mother that doesn’t even remember him…

So this is not so much a review but my brain barfing my feels. If you wanna read my brain barf you'll have to hop on over to the Moonligh
Alex
This book set off a huge chain of events, and it's clear the ending is going to be epic.

(view spoiler)
Bonesy
Jul 29, 2011 Bonesy added it
This is the last Tobias book in the series and wow, what a way to go out! I was always a HUGE Tobias fan, and this book surely satisfied fellow fans. Tobias finally meets his mother (who is a hot blind mess) and gives her the morphing capability. When she demorphs, BAM! She's suddenly a normal, not blind/crazy-looking woman. Cassie and Rachel have to inform their families of the war similar to what Marco had to do recently in the series, which is probably the best parts in the book (despite Tobi ...more
Renisse
And now the plot has really been activated. Jake apparently will never be the same. I have an idea of how it all is going to end and i can't say that i'm amused. The writing was great. One of the better ghostwritten pieces by far.
Timothy Boyd
Fantastic SiFi series for a young reader. I enjoyed reading these with my daughter. The storyline is good and the plot interesting, wouldn't take much to make these great adult SiFi stories. Highly recommended
Amantha
Loren's blindness being magically cured through morphing technology pisses me off to no end.
Katelynn
The first to make me flat out bawl. I need ice cream.
Scott Jeremy Nino Roberts
I'm a big fan of "Animorphs" because I used to watch the tv show during my childhood years.
Ashley
Good read! Now we are finally in the endgame. The Yeerks know the bandits are human, the parents know their kids are warriors. It's funny, the kids have been through all these battles but the parents still try to protect them. Guess that's what they do. I'm glad something good finally happened to Tobias, but man! Poor Jake. I don't remember how that gets resolved since its been so long, but I hope it goes well.
Nicole
THIS BOOK WAS TOO MUCH FOR ME. CASSIE TELLING HER PARENTS. RACHEL TELLING HER MOM. RACHEL'S MOM WRITING THE HORK BAJIR CONSTITUTION AND TEACHING THEM HOW TO READ AND WRITE LIKE IT'S NO BIG DEAL. JAKE'S PARENTS BECOMING CONTROLLERS. TOBIAS FINDING HIS MOM. IT IS JUST TOO MUCH I WAS LAUGHING AND CRYING THE WHOLE TIME.
Jackie Krasuski
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Christiana Sherrill
Let's just sh*t on Tobias some more. Doesn't he have enough to deal with? And very sad, what with the Animorph families.

Though Rachel's mom defending her sisters with a spice rack is awesome. Also the sisters thinking Ax is a "Pokey-man."
Tulsi
This book actually made me cry. I love how Applegate doesn't really take prisoners. A nice enough ending, no real 'moral' discussions, but a nice link back to a storyline that started with the Andalite Chronicles.
Soo Jo
Aaron
Aaron added it
Jun 25, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
  • Dragon Castle
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 3 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #3)
  • Death Note Box Set
  • I Live in Your Basement! (Goosebumps, #61)
  • Disney's The Little Mermaid: Classic Storybook
  • Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy, #1)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)

“Ah." Ax nodded. "She does not understand how menacing we are." He tapped her on the shoulder. "You do not know me," he said, "but I am a juvenile delinquent. I do not trust authority figures, I probably will not graduate from high school, and statistics say my present rowdiness and vandalism will likely lead to more serious crimes. I am a dangerous fellow and I am causing mayhem in this store." He reached behind her and pulled three jars of baby food from the top shelf. Shoved them behind a box of macaroni. Shuffled the Chess Whizzed in front of the Marshmallow Fluff. Tossed a bag of lady's shavers onto a bag of hamburger buns. "There. I have now shamelessly destroyed the symmetry of this shelf, undoing hours of labor by underpaid store employees. If you could see me, you would be frightened." "If she could see you, she'd have you committed," Marco muttered.” 13 likes
“Jake, our fearless leader. On a crazed kamikaze mission. I’d never seen him like this. Even in our lowest moments, he’d always been steady. Resolute. He weighed the costs, made a decision, forged ahead.
And I’d always wondered how he did it. How he kept it straight in his mind. Yeerks. Visser One. Aliens conquering humans, conquering the planet. Fighting the enemy without becoming like them. How did he sort through all that? The emotions, the ethical dilemmas, the moral crises? How did he wrap his brain around it all so he could make logical decisions? Smart decisions. The kind that saved the lives of his team. The kind that set the enemy back a small step or two.
But now I knew.
Jake didn’t understand any of it better than the rest of us did. If he defeated the Yeerks, freed humanity, rescued Earth, that was good. But that was just a bonus. His main goal was much simpler. To save his family. That goal was what had given him strength. That goal was what had kept him sane. Allowed him to retain a center of calm focus amid the awful chaos.
His family.

[Animorph #49: The Diversion]”
5 likes