Start by marking “Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book” as Want to Read:
Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book

Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A classic bestseller for over a century, the Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book contains an incredible offering of 1,380 recipes, from boiling an egg to preparing a calf’s head. Farmer’s instructions also go beyond recipes to include how to set the table for proper tea, full menu ideas for holiday dinners, housekeeping tips, and so much more. This book is known for pioneering th ...more
Published February 15th 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book

Jada
Feb 04, 2012 Jada rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
So much better than The Joy of Cooking. I have a 1965 edition -- fully stained, coverless, held together with duct tape, and passed down to me from my mother who also learned to cook from this book (and eventually went on to become a chef). I love the recipe structure and overall layout of the book. And all bases are covered: is your chicken not fully plucked? Here's how to finish that task.
Genevieve
Mar 03, 2011 Genevieve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to have in your library. I don't know that I will ever see a first edition of the 1896 Fannie Farmer cookbook, but this book is the exact replication of that edition. I read cookbooks like novels and these kinds of old cookbooks is no exception. I can't wait to dig in (no pun intended!) Another great find at Half-Price Books in Dublin, CA.
Alessandra
Sep 25, 2011 Alessandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, america, 1890s
This is a facsimile of the original 1896 printing of the Boston Cooking-School Cookbook by Fannie Merritt Farmer. It also, amusingly enough, is a facsimile of the original owner's amendments and comments, so that one occasionally finds amounts annotated in a neat, round hand, or Molasses Cookies labelled "good" and Soft Molasses Cookies labelled "not good." The facsimile advertisements at the back of the book are a hoot.

The recipes are good, but take some getting used to. "Soda," for example, me
Jan Priddy
I have the original edition. It is great fun.
egellston
Feb 14, 2013 egellston rated it liked it
Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book would be a lot more interesting and exciting if it were not "Kindle" sized. The book is much smaller than a cookbook of it's heft ought tot be. The binding makes it hard to keep open and the small size makes it hard to even browse.

It is surprising how "international" the recipes are. I would love this book if it was in a format that was reader friendly.
Nancy
Jul 14, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, reference, cookbooks
I've had this classic cookbook in my kitchen for years, but honestly haven't used it that much. It's well-organized, but the format doesn't allow the pages to lie flat--have to prop it open. It's a good source though when you can't find what you're looking for elsewhere.
Shirley
Jan 11, 2009 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been our family's basic cookbook for years and the older version was given to me by my mother when I got married. I am not as familiar with the newer version but it is a good standard cookbook with very good baking recipes.
Kari
Jan 17, 2009 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My great grandma gave this to me, it's a wealth of information!
There is a lot of lard in the recipes, but they are easily updated to today's methods and ingredients. And there is ton's of very "modern" nutrition info!
Ken
Nov 14, 2007 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: cooking
Get the latest revised paperback, not the original. This is my favorite all round cook book!
Courtney
Dec 05, 2008 Courtney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I like seeing what people used to make and how things have changed in the kitchen.
Moira
Mar 22, 2012 Moira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
some very interesting recipes.
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Laura  Grace
Laura Grace rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Wendy  Wilson
Wendy Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Mrslabman
Mrslabman rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Spinster
Spinster marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
James Shaw
James Shaw marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Rakhee
Rakhee marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Tami Smith
Tami Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Sep 07, 2015
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Adam Travia
Adam Travia rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Cherylee
Cherylee marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads
  • The James Beard Cookbook
  • When French Women Cook: A Gastronomic Memoir
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • New York Cookbook: From Pelham Bay to Park Avenue, Firehouses to Four-Star Restaurants
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
  • Patriot Eats!
  • Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
  • Cheap. Fast. Good!
  • A New Way to Cook
  • A Hundred Little Hitlers: The Death of a Black Man, the Trial of a White Racist, and the Rise of the Neo-Nazi Movement in America