Start by marking “Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book” as Want to Read:
Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book

Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A classic bestseller for over a century, the Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book contains an incredible offering of 1,380 recipes, from boiling an egg to preparing a calf’s head. Farmer’s instructions also go beyond recipes to include how to set the table for proper tea, full menu ideas for holiday dinners, housekeeping tips, and so much more. This book is known for pioneering th ...more
Published February 15th 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book

Jada
Feb 04, 2012 Jada rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
So much better than The Joy of Cooking. I have a 1965 edition -- fully stained, coverless, held together with duct tape, and passed down to me from my mother who also learned to cook from this book (and eventually went on to become a chef). I love the recipe structure and overall layout of the book. And all bases are covered: is your chicken not fully plucked? Here's how to finish that task.
Genevieve
Great book to have in your library. I don't know that I will ever see a first edition of the 1896 Fannie Farmer cookbook, but this book is the exact replication of that edition. I read cookbooks like novels and these kinds of old cookbooks is no exception. I can't wait to dig in (no pun intended!) Another great find at Half-Price Books in Dublin, CA.
Alessandra
This is a facsimile of the original 1896 printing of the Boston Cooking-School Cookbook by Fannie Merritt Farmer. It also, amusingly enough, is a facsimile of the original owner's amendments and comments, so that one occasionally finds amounts annotated in a neat, round hand, or Molasses Cookies labelled "good" and Soft Molasses Cookies labelled "not good." The facsimile advertisements at the back of the book are a hoot.

The recipes are good, but take some getting used to. "Soda," for example, me
egellston
Fannie Farmer 1896 Cook Book would be a lot more interesting and exciting if it were not "Kindle" sized. The book is much smaller than a cookbook of it's heft ought tot be. The binding makes it hard to keep open and the small size makes it hard to even browse.

It is surprising how "international" the recipes are. I would love this book if it was in a format that was reader friendly.
Nancy
I've had this classic cookbook in my kitchen for years, but honestly haven't used it that much. It's well-organized, but the format doesn't allow the pages to lie flat--have to prop it open. It's a good source though when you can't find what you're looking for elsewhere.
Shirley
This has been our family's basic cookbook for years and the older version was given to me by my mother when I got married. I am not as familiar with the newer version but it is a good standard cookbook with very good baking recipes.
Kari
My great grandma gave this to me, it's a wealth of information!
There is a lot of lard in the recipes, but they are easily updated to today's methods and ingredients. And there is ton's of very "modern" nutrition info!
Ken
Nov 14, 2007 Ken rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: cooking
Get the latest revised paperback, not the original. This is my favorite all round cook book!
Courtney
I like seeing what people used to make and how things have changed in the kitchen.
Moira
some very interesting recipes.
nap385
nap385 marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
yoli
yoli marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jonna Daniels cornelius
Jonna Daniels cornelius marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
patricia lehr
patricia lehr marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Mona Podhora
Mona Podhora marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
A.
A. added it
Sep 13, 2014
Kent Verge
Kent Verge marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Christmas Cookies 1 1 Dec 13, 2007 09:28PM
The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary The Boston Cooking School Cook Book The Boston Cooking School Cookbook How to Cook Vegetables and Potatoes - A Selection of Old-Time Vegetarian Recipes Food and cookery for the sick and convalescent