Start by marking “Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was” as Want to Read:
Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was

Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Sarah Skeate and Nicola Tedman offer crafters an array of charmingly raffish characters inside "Steampunk Softies: 8 Scientifically Minded Dolls From a Past That Never Was." Even if you're unfamiliar with the term "steampunk," chances are you've already discovered it through the works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Tim Burton, Mary Shelley, or Lemony Snicket. Steampunk is an ...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk Softies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk Softies

Angela
A friend bought me this for Christmas. I've read through it twice and the steampunk dolls look awesome but the list of things I need for each doll and the accompanying instructions quite frankly scares the crap out of me. Saying that, I'm looking forward to attempting making them.
Shala Kerrigan
Steampunk Softies is by the same authors as Zombie Felties, Sarah Skeate and Nicola Tedman.
Softies are a bit bigger than felties, but use a lot of the same techniques for construction, and can be hand sewn.
The book starts with an introduction to the materials that are used to construct the dolls, as well as some fantastic tutorials for aging and distressing the fabrics.
The dolls are just wonderful. Most stand about 6 inches high, and the props and construction methods are very clever. The materi
Marcus
Steampunk is pushing into more and more areas. While crafting has long been a pillar of community activities, I have thus far encountered little regarding toys. Maybe because comparatively few of us actually have children or children who still want toys.
Anyway, I hold in my hands a book which tackles exactly this thus far white spot on the Steampunk map: Toys.
The book in question: Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was.
This is not a real review. In order to rev
Krista
The final products were cool, but there were like a million steps and I'm not into steampunk enough to dive into these projects. I did like the section on how to age fabric.
Nancy
It was cute, but I think they're way too sophisticated to base a library program on. Too bad.
Katey
I love the aesthetic, but unfortunately these creations aren't mine to make. The supply lists feature wool and leather, which unless I can get my hands on remnants to repurpose, I won't use, and at this time I'm unaware of any synthetics that would properly mimic the look.

The tips and how-to's on how to age fabric were nice and helpful though. Anyone interested in steampunk and crafting will like this.
Phair
Although the dolls are a little less realistic looking than I like, the designs and instructions certainly provide inspiration for the creative. Love the information on techniques to "age" fabrics & ideas for types of bits & pieces that could go into making theses or similar adorable figures. Instructions are super clear and detailed. A fun little book.
Mckinley
Interesting. Very well crafted. Many photos with instructions.
Cool little book with about 6 designs for cute steampunk soft characters, clear instructions for making each one with patterns, great for inspiration !
Would have liked more pages & a design gallery with other characters would have been nice !
Not too expensive so good for what you get :)
Brandon
I am using this to do a teen program here at my library in January. These are great, quick crafts for kids, and I highly recommend this book. Some of the objects for the crafts might be a little difficult to come by, but with some quick thinking, substitutes can be found!
Whereis
Great little craft book! All of the softies are really cute!! The thing is though that they aren't that easy to put together. If your an experienced crafter these probably won't be too hard to make, but for those of us who are beginners this isn't a great book.
Mercedes Hubbard
This book is super inventive and interesting BUT the crafts are way too hard. They are for like a super advanced crafted. There are like a million supplies for each one.
Kim
"scientifically midned dolls from a past that never was" Absolutely adorable and totally creative.
Elaine Oliver
Good for inspiration, but the projects are nigh impossible to replicate exactly
Lynne
Wonderful creations...wish I was a better seamstress
Dracolibris
Fun craft ideas, possibly for work.
leslie
leslie marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Bridgetbolton
Bridgetbolton marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead Steampunk Accessories: 20 Projects to Help You Nail the Style Zodiac Felties: 16 Compelling Astrological Characters to Craft Beaded Bugs: Make 30 Moths, Butterflies, Beetles, and Other Cute Critters Soft Fonts: 20 Sewing Projects with Words & Letters: 20 Sewing Projects with Words & Letters