Start by marking “Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was” as Want to Read:
Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was

Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Sarah Skeate and Nicola Tedman offer crafters an array of charmingly raffish characters inside "Steampunk Softies: 8 Scientifically Minded Dolls From a Past That Never Was." Even if you're unfamiliar with the term "steampunk," chances are you've already discovered it through the works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Tim Burton, Mary Shelley, or Lemony Snicket. Steampunk is an ...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk Softies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk Softies

Angela
Jan 03, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts, read-2012
A friend bought me this for Christmas. I've read through it twice and the steampunk dolls look awesome but the list of things I need for each doll and the accompanying instructions quite frankly scares the crap out of me. Saying that, I'm looking forward to attempting making them.
Shala Kerrigan
Jul 01, 2011 Shala Kerrigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
Steampunk Softies is by the same authors as Zombie Felties, Sarah Skeate and Nicola Tedman.
Softies are a bit bigger than felties, but use a lot of the same techniques for construction, and can be hand sewn.
The book starts with an introduction to the materials that are used to construct the dolls, as well as some fantastic tutorials for aging and distressing the fabrics.
The dolls are just wonderful. Most stand about 6 inches high, and the props and construction methods are very clever. The materi
Marcus
May 21, 2011 Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk is pushing into more and more areas. While crafting has long been a pillar of community activities, I have thus far encountered little regarding toys. Maybe because comparatively few of us actually have children or children who still want toys.
Anyway, I hold in my hands a book which tackles exactly this thus far white spot on the Steampunk map: Toys.
The book in question: Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was.
This is not a real review. In order to rev
Krista
Jul 12, 2014 Krista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The final products were cool, but there were like a million steps and I'm not into steampunk enough to dive into these projects. I did like the section on how to age fabric.
Nancy
Oct 30, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts, steampunk
It was cute, but I think they're way too sophisticated to base a library program on. Too bad.
Katey
Jan 11, 2012 Katey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
I love the aesthetic, but unfortunately these creations aren't mine to make. The supply lists feature wool and leather, which unless I can get my hands on remnants to repurpose, I won't use, and at this time I'm unaware of any synthetics that would properly mimic the look.

The tips and how-to's on how to age fabric were nice and helpful though. Anyone interested in steampunk and crafting will like this.
Phair
Jun 18, 2011 Phair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the dolls are a little less realistic looking than I like, the designs and instructions certainly provide inspiration for the creative. Love the information on techniques to "age" fabrics & ideas for types of bits & pieces that could go into making theses or similar adorable figures. Instructions are super clear and detailed. A fun little book.
Mckinley
Interesting. Very well crafted. Many photos with instructions.
Brandon
Oct 08, 2011 Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
I am using this to do a teen program here at my library in January. These are great, quick crafts for kids, and I highly recommend this book. Some of the objects for the crafts might be a little difficult to come by, but with some quick thinking, substitutes can be found!
Whereis
Aug 29, 2013 Whereis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little craft book! All of the softies are really cute!! The thing is though that they aren't that easy to put together. If your an experienced crafter these probably won't be too hard to make, but for those of us who are beginners this isn't a great book.
Mercedes Hubbard
This book is super inventive and interesting BUT the crafts are way too hard. They are for like a super advanced crafted. There are like a million supplies for each one.
Kim
Jul 15, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"scientifically midned dolls from a past that never was" Absolutely adorable and totally creative.
Elaine Oliver
Feb 28, 2013 Elaine Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for inspiration, but the projects are nigh impossible to replicate exactly
Lynne
Oct 09, 2011 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful creations...wish I was a better seamstress
Dracolibris
Fun craft ideas, possibly for work.
Pam Bradley
Pam Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Caoimhe Smullen
Caoimhe Smullen rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Celia
Celia rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2016
Megan Troyer
Megan Troyer marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
G.r.s. Hjelm
G.r.s. Hjelm marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Jessica Christian
Jessica Christian marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Jane Knox
Jane Knox marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Veri T.  Tease
Veri T. Tease marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Cherie Bryant
Cherie Bryant marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Nerissa
Nerissa marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings
  • Steampunkery: Polymer Clay and Mixed Media Projects
  •  Cute Dolls
  • Witch Craft: Wicked Accessories, Creepy-Cute Toys, Magical Treats, and More!
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Steampunk Emporium: Creating Fantastical Jewelry, Devices and Oddments from Assorted Cogs, Gears and Curios
  • Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos: A Maker's Guide to Creating Modern Artifacts
  • The Art of Steampunk