Start by marking “Getting the Best Out of College, Revised and Updated: Insider Advice for Success from a Professor, a Dean, and a Recent Grad” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
An insider’s guide that shows ambitious students how to optimize their college career, completely revised and updated for today’s academic landscape.

I WISH I’D KNOWN THAT IN COLLEGE
Your time as an undergrad has the potential to be incredibly fun, rewarding, and life changing in ways you may not yet even imagine–that is, if you play your cards right and take full advantage
Published April 17th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published February 15th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Getting the Best Out of College, Revised and Updated

Amanda
Jul 01, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
I am currently transferring to a large university after having spent the last two years at county college and I can definitely attest that this book is a good thermometer when it comes to a college atmosphere and what to expect, but it definitely cannot predict the weather (for lack of a better analogy). For me, personally, I am a first-generation college student and the generalities made in this book were really nothing that I couldn't have figured out on my own if I were going in as a freshman ...more
Kevin Primus
Jun 20, 2013 Kevin Primus rated it it was amazing
The genius of Getting the Best Out of College is in its authenticity and comprehensiveness in elucidating what ought to be highlighted in the college experience.

I have been recommending this book since the first edition, but the latest edition is even more readable and engaging. I have known all three authors for many years and worked as a manager under Coach Krzyzewski, who wrote the Forward, for my entire undergrad career at Duke.

Having spent seven years in college campus ministry, six in hi
Paul Miller
Jan 25, 2016 Paul Miller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: college, duke, non-fiction
Great read for those entering college (or their parents). More to say at impactcollaboration.com.
Stuart
Jun 09, 2013 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“This was a helpful book in your college planning. My only major complaint other than some of the sense of humour was that I felt the authors were a little bit to conservative in regards to religion and sexual views. However they for the most part give sound advice, but I definitely could feel a few generational gaps in some of their views.”
Marissa
Aug 14, 2013 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! I read it as an incoming sophomore and it really helped me see what I could do differently in order to improve my college experience. It offers a lot of realistic ways to step out of your shell and take advantage of the opportunities available to you. A must read for all college students!!!
Ernest
May 11, 2016 Ernest rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Excellent book to read before starting the freshman year of college. Details the social challenges and the unwritten rules of the college experience that must be understood to thrive.
Polly Callahan
Jan 24, 2013 Polly Callahan rated it it was ok
Shelves: college
skimmed it, lots of advice that repeats others (especially Cal Newport). Does address a wide variety of issues for all years (study abroad - don't unless you have $$$$, picking a major,
Minh EVHS Nguyen
Feb 11, 2015 Minh EVHS Nguyen rated it really liked it
This book was great. It gave me advises for college. What to expect and what should i do if i have a problem. Overall, this is a must read book for high school students.
Noel
May 16, 2008 Noel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
go Duke!!!! written by my former Dean woop woop woop.
Sheridan
Sheridan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Kristie Yang
Kristie Yang rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Ignas
Ignas marked it as to-read
Zoe
Zoe is currently reading it
Zoë Freer-Hessler
Zoë Freer-Hessler is currently reading it
Monica Battley-fabre
Monica Battley-fabre marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
John "Mike" Sneed
John "Mike" Sneed marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Cathy
Cathy added it
Feb 24, 2016
Brandon Quinn
Brandon Quinn rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Kendall Moore
Kendall Moore marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Xintong
Xintong marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2015
Kimberly P. Miller
Kimberly P. Miller rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Brian Hurley
Brian Hurley is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Aakriti
Aakriti marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015