Start by marking “The Djinn” as Want to Read:
The Djinn

The Djinn

An Arabian spirit (The Djinn of the title), trapped inside an ancient jar, is released from its prison - with predictably disastrous results. Harry Erskine, rogue psychic (who also appears in the Manitou books) investigates.
Typical early Masterton - slim, fast-moving, occasionally horrific and often fun. Erskine is an eccentric character who adds much to an otherwise sleig
Published May 1977 by Pinnacle Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Djinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Djinn

Alexander Draganov
Worthy sequel of The Manitou. The final chapter is horrifying.
More detailed review in Bulgarian here:
Icarus Akamatsu
Aug 09, 2012 Icarus Akamatsu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you pick up a Masterton novel, you really should know that all bets are off!!
The Djinn is a tidy little story and Masterton uses his skills to manipulate your imagination into seeing things a hundred times worse than he could ever describe (Although he is pretty damn good at it!) he just kind of, nudges (Perhaps I mean violently shoves?) you in the right direction :0)
This was far better than the last one of his books I read 'A Mile Before Morning / Fireflash 5' which suffered mostly from a
Plum-crazy
Aug 20, 2016 Plum-crazy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I loved it but then again was there ever the slightest doubt that I wouldn't? - it was a re-read after all! :o) I'd forgotten this was a Harry Erskine tale, gonna have to dig the rest of the series out now....
Sara
Dec 22, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Another fantastic Graham Masterton book, he really knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat with suspense.
Michael Albanese
I have to be honest, I didn't like it. I felt that the novel just coasted and coasted and coasted. I found the resolution dull.
Not to be crude, but it reminded me of being constipated. You struggle and fight and once you are done, you are happy for being done with it.
Donovan
Feb 06, 2012 Donovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
It's the return of Harry Erskine, first seen in The Manitou. This time Harry's tangling with The Djinn, an Arabian supernatural entity (from which we get the English word "genie"). But this is no lantern-bound wish-granting jokester; it has 40 monstrous manifestations and they're all, well, fatal for humans. At 200 pages, you can read it in one night enjoying pulp horror goodness.

Plot ***Spoilers***
It begins with the funeral of Harry's godfather, Max Greaves, who committed a horrendous, self-mut
George
Dec 19, 2014 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Έβδομο μυθιστόρημα του Γκράχαμ Μάστερτον που διαβάζω και μάλλον είναι το πιο αδύναμο. Αυτό, όμως, δεν σημαίνει ότι δεν πέρασα καλά ή ότι δεν αξίζει να το διαβάσουν οι φαν του συγγραφέα και γενικά οι τρομολάγνοι που διαβάζουν τέτοιου είδους βιβλία τρόμου. Απλά κατά την άποψή μου είχε λίγες περισσότερες αδυναμίες σε σχέση με άλλες ιστορίες του.

Πρωταγωνιστής και αφηγητής της ιστορίας είναι ο Χάρι Έρσκιν, που γνωρίσαμε στην σειρά Μανιτού, ο οποίος πενθεί τον πρόσφατα αποθανόντα νονό του. Κάποια στι
Belle Wood
A quick, decent read. I read the recent edition put out by Telos with new illustrations. If you can get past the sexism (it was put out in '77, not long after Masterton joined Penthouse as an editor) it bobs along nicely until the end when all the women die and all the men survive. Whatever. The most striking thing about this book is that it was by the same guy who had a massive hit with The Manitou, another creature feature that was turned into a B-film with Tony Curtis. THe best thing about it ...more
PsypherPunk
Remember the days of VHS? When, prior to watching your selected film, you had to sit through an unpredictably lengthy series of trailers for all manner of crappy films? I loved that. I have immensely fond memories of cheap, schlocky horror films all seemingly narrated by the same guttural voice (too few of which I actually managed to see). All cheap thrills and even cheaper effects, and all made delightfully entertaining in a way seemingly forgotten.

That’s what I’m reminded of while reading this
Donna Alexander
I thought I remembered reading this book as a teenager, but on rereading I don't know if I would have stuck with it as long as you had to for any action. I was sure I remembered the djinn turning an unfortunate person inside out. Well I must have been mistaken as this did not happen. In any case I found the characters very dated and dull. Given that the book was written in the late 70's, I will forgive them their old fashioned habits.
I have never reread a book before and this only makes me feel
Mark Hodder
Sep 15, 2016 Mark Hodder rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Featuring Harry Erskine, the likeable protagonist from THE MANITOU (the events of which, oddly, aren’t mentioned), this one starts well but in the second half the style of writing deteriorates quite considerably. There’s a lot of graphic adult content but at its core the plot is juvenile and very silly, with the characters either not doing what they should (run!) or suddenly making the right move unprompted by any new information or circumstance. It’s fun and fast-paced—and there’s one very memo ...more
Victor Castillo Rodriguez
Harry Erskine regresa tras su aventura en "Manitú" con su habitual sarcasmo y gusto por las mujeres bonitas. Esta vez se enfrenta a un espíritu encerrado en un jarrón árabe que un padrino suyo, empresario petrolero, había obtenido en uno de sus viajes a oriente medio. Si bien la novela es divertida y se lee en un suspiro, nunca alcanza las cotas de ritmo y locura de su predecesora, aunque el monstruo tiene su gracia y el clímax es lo suficientemente emocionante y violento, algo que ya esperas de ...more
Jason  morton
Aug 18, 2016 Jason morton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a creepy little book

This was an awesome book. It was pretty scary with a minimum of violence. Well worth the read . I hope that I can continue to find these classics from Graham Masterton. I was fully creeped out , I could not put the book down. I highly recommend this book to all fan's of modern horror!!!!
Barbra
Mar 20, 2010 Barbra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another of Masterton's early horror books. It was a good, fast read but not one of his better ones. Readable but not a must read.

Back Cover Blurb:
It began with a curious investigation of an ancient Arabian jar and the strange legends of sorcery it symbolised. The legend and logic demand that the jar be opened - the secret of the djinn must be exposed to the light of reality.
Lostaccount
A fast read. Old school horror with a bit of old-fashioned male chauvinism thrown in. Felt a bit like a short story spun out to novel length. Not as a good as The Manitou, which it reminded me of.
Kasia
Mar 16, 2008 Kasia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary. I don't think I'd like it anymore but when I first read it back in highschool all the blood and gore were good.
Chip
Jan 20, 2013 Chip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A fun quick novel, not really a must read but enjoyable.

Harry Erskine is the protagonist, but that is the only real link to The Manitou series.
John Henery
Jul 09, 2015 John Henery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Kind of a pseudo sequel to the manitou.
Chichi
Nov 10, 2012 Chichi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Deliciously morbid and freaky! Loved!!
Syn Derella
Oct 23, 2012 Syn Derella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome read!
L.L.
Sep 03, 2007 L.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graham-masterton
Jedna z lepszych książek Mastertona - przynajmniej mi zapadła w pamięć jako taka.
julianne
Nov 24, 2015 julianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love, love, love!
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, gory, fast and furious vintage Masterton. I have a different edition, but look at this great cover.
Gerd
Oct 21, 2008 Gerd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read both this German version and the original version, from the German translation there's a page missing, probably because it was deemed to gory at the time.
Mia
Jul 28, 2012 Mia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Halloween today. A good time to note that this book scared the heck out of me when I was a teenager.
Athena Areia
Athena Areia rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Bent
Bent rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2015
Ecci
Ecci rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2011
Caeon
Caeon rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2011
  • Beware!
  • Daemonic
  • Ja, anielica
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1
  • Doctor Who: Terminus (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • The Deluge
  • The Revelation
  • Necroscope: Invaders (Necroscope, #11)
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton...