Start by marking “The Djinn” as Want to Read:
The Djinn

The Djinn

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  16 reviews
An Arabian spirit (The Djinn of the title), trapped inside an ancient jar, is released from its prison - with predictably disastrous results. Harry Erskine, rogue psychic (who also appears in the Manitou books) investigates.
Typical early Masterton - slim, fast-moving, occasionally horrific and often fun. Erskine is an eccentric character who adds much to an otherwise sleig
Published May 1977 by Pinnacle Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Djinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Djinn

Icarus Akamatsu
When you pick up a Masterton novel, you really should know that all bets are off!!
The Djinn is a tidy little story and Masterton uses his skills to manipulate your imagination into seeing things a hundred times worse than he could ever describe (Although he is pretty damn good at it!) he just kind of, nudges (Perhaps I mean violently shoves?) you in the right direction :0)
This was far better than the last one of his books I read 'A Mile Before Morning / Fireflash 5' which suffered mostly from a
Sara
Another fantastic Graham Masterton book, he really knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat with suspense.
George
Έβδομο μυθιστόρημα του Γκράχαμ Μάστερτον που διαβάζω και μάλλον είναι το πιο αδύναμο. Αυτό, όμως, δεν σημαίνει ότι δεν πέρασα καλά ή ότι δεν αξίζει να το διαβάσουν οι φαν του συγγραφέα και γενικά οι τρομολάγνοι που διαβάζουν τέτοιου είδους βιβλία τρόμου. Απλά κατά την άποψή μου είχε λίγες περισσότερες αδυναμίες σε σχέση με άλλες ιστορίες του.

Πρωταγωνιστής και αφηγητής της ιστορίας είναι ο Χάρι Έρσκιν, που γνωρίσαμε στην σειρά Μανιτού, ο οποίος πενθεί τον πρόσφατα αποθανόντα νονό του. Κάποια στι
Donovan
It's the return of Harry Erskine, first seen in The Manitou. This time Harry's tangling with The Djinn, an Arabian supernatural entity (from which we get the English word "genie"). But this is no lantern-bound wish-granting jokester; it has 40 monstrous manifestations and they're all, well, fatal for humans. At 200 pages, you can read it in one night enjoying pulp horror goodness.

Plot ***Spoilers***
It begins with the funeral of Harry's godfather, Max Greaves, who committed a horrendous, self-mut
Lostaccount Darkpool
A fast read. Old school horror with a bit of old-fashioned male chauvinism thrown in. Felt a bit like a short story spun out to novel length. Not as a good as The Manitou, which it reminded me of.
Donna Alexander
I thought I remembered reading this book as a teenager, but on rereading I don't know if I would have stuck with it as long as you had to for any action. I was sure I remembered the djinn turning an unfortunate person inside out. Well I must have been mistaken as this did not happen. In any case I found the characters very dated and dull. Given that the book was written in the late 70's, I will forgive them their old fashioned habits.
I have never reread a book before and this only makes me feel
PsypherPunk
Remember the days of VHS? When, prior to watching your selected film, you had to sit through an unpredictably lengthy series of trailers for all manner of crappy films? I loved that. I have immensely fond memories of cheap, schlocky horror films all seemingly narrated by the same guttural voice (too few of which I actually managed to see). All cheap thrills and even cheaper effects, and all made delightfully entertaining in a way seemingly forgotten.

That’s what I’m reminded of while reading this
Barbra
Another of Masterton's early horror books. It was a good, fast read but not one of his better ones. Readable but not a must read.

Back Cover Blurb:
It began with a curious investigation of an ancient Arabian jar and the strange legends of sorcery it symbolised. The legend and logic demand that the jar be opened - the secret of the djinn must be exposed to the light of reality.
Gerd
I've read both this German version and the original version, from the German translation there's a page missing, probably because it was deemed to gory at the time.
Chip
A fun quick novel, not really a must read but enjoyable.

Harry Erskine is the protagonist, but that is the only real link to The Manitou series.
Kasia
Scary. I don't think I'd like it anymore but when I first read it back in highschool all the blood and gore were good.
Bandit
Sweet, gory, fast and furious vintage Masterton. I have a different edition, but look at this great cover.
Mia
It's Halloween today. A good time to note that this book scared the heck out of me when I was a teenager.
L.L.
Jedna z lepszych książek Mastertona - przynajmniej mi zapadła w pamięć jako taka.
Chichi
Deliciously morbid and freaky! Loved!!
Alice
Alice added it
Apr 16, 2015
Kyky Preow
Kyky Preow marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
DiDi
DiDi marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Matt Bailey
Matt Bailey marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ju Fu
Ju Fu marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
  • The Sleeper in the Sands
  • Silent Children
  • Night Visions: The Hellbound Heart
  • Goat Dance
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British menis magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton...
The Manitou (Manitou, Book 1) The House That Jack Built Mirror Walkers The Pariah