3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  768 ratings  ·  37 reviews
On April 6, 2003, twenty-six Green Berets, including those of Sergeant 1st Class Frank Anentori's Special Forces A-Team (call sign Roughneck Nine One), led a violent battle against a vastly superior force at the remote crossroads near the village of Debecka, Iraq. In an already legendary conflict that will influence US Army doctrine for years to come, the Green Berets stop...more
Published July 24th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Roughneck Nine-One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roughneck Nine-One

Eric
A good book that gives the reader an inside look at a Special Forces A team. It's a good read if you are interested in that sort of thing, but probably won't do much for you if you aren't. Frank Antenori is now retired and running for office. To me, it feels at times like he wrote this book to define himself for political purposes - his "PT 109" story, if you will. Antenori tells his story as if he were unerring, unphased, and unaltered by war. I felt that books like Jarhead and House to House w...more
Ru
This first-hand account of The Battle of Debecka Ridge in Iraq by Sgt. Antenori is equal parts tactical & action-packed, but also offers some valuable lessons along the way. This book is very much a meat-and-potatoes account of a military life, and it reads like no detail is spared from training to deployment on various missions, before hitting the crux. Sgt. Antenori is very analytical & does an excellent job of not only detailing specific events, but explaining why certain actions were...more
Amanda
I am not usually one for military history or books about wars. I much prefer to read fiction that happens to have war as a backdrop and generally read to escape my own reality. Sometimes it is difficult to escape into someone else’s reality.

My cousin Jake (ok he’s not really my cousin — my mom and his dad are cousins, so that makes him my second cousin once removed?) is a green beret and is part of the Special Forces team that miraculously came out of Iraq unscathed in April 2003. I remember goi...more
Jerome
This is not your typical Special Forces story. The story is not a covert operation of any kind. The SF groups engage the enemy on an open battlefield. Sgt. Frank Antenori states this in the beginning of the book. He shares this story because it is a great accomplishment by a greatly outnumbered unit.

The intro into the book explains the great need our country has for Special Forces. I enjoyed this because he gives reasons why the U.S should have more elite soldiers to carry out missions.

The first...more
Joshua Emil
Roughneck Nine-One is not your story where misfits band together, get themselves stuck in a sticky situation and return with overwhelming results. This isn't G.I. Joe. This a true story of men in the War on Terror who, through thick and thin, managed overcome an enemy that 'outnumbered them five to one'. They were considered as the black sheep in their unit, 3rd Special Forces Group and maintained that reputation when their finest hour came.
Frank Antenori and Hans Halberstadt gave an unprecedent...more
Andrew
I never served in the military so I have no idea what war is like. I found this an interesting and well-paced look inside a military unit. If you have never read a book like this, you should give it a try. It gives you a view into an experience that you would not otherwise get. It is not as gritty as House to House. House to House  An Epic Memoir of War by David Bellavia Which is good if you (like me) are faint of heart.
Robert T.  Garcia
Wow, what a ride. Great story and much respect for those men who become members of the small community of Special Forces and don the Green Beret.
Excellent details of the battles and training that took place. It felt like I was in the middle of the events that unfolded in the story
A must read to understand what it took to win the war in Iraq.
Kevin
I guess "you had to be there." The book discusses Operational detachment Alpha team 91 (nicknamed Roughneck Nine One), or A-Team 91, during a particular battle in Iraq. There were some cool things about the battle... however I think the biggest factor in the battle was the relatively new Javelin missile system. Essentially they hung back and shot boatloads of trucks, APC's and other vehicles with these anti-tank missiles. It wasn't the down and dirty kind of fighting that was described with such...more
Jeff
The writing style and narrative form for this book was a LOT better than many books of this type that I have read int he past. I really enjoyed the flow and the information provided. Now, the big issues is judging how accurate the view is that the author is presenting when you read a story like this. There are far to many books about combat and especially the Special Forces, that have been embellished to the point that they defy reality. This one seemed authentic without the superman issues I ha...more
John
I absolutely loved this book. This is a first hand account of Special Forces A-Teams in Iraq. It tells somewhat of their initial training, but focuses mostly on gearing up for war. It describes their training in the states, how these A-teams (Operational Detachment Alphas) are organized and how such small teams destroyed the Iraqi army in the North. My interest was kept from the beginning until the end. If you enjoy books about War, Soldiers, History or Special Operations then I highly recommend...more
Melody Mills-dolan
Great book! Flowed easily. I love this type of writing. I respect the men of SpecWarComm doing a job that most men would not could not do. Much respect for those that protect our country while we lie safe in our beds.
Tom Schulte
A good tale of building a special ops A-Team getting them to Iraq and engaging a tank group with javelin missiles despite political inefficiencies of the American infantry establishment and unseasoned leadership ("Major X"). I found the scientific methodology of modern American warfard the most interesting and the pig headedness that made that intelligent design often so inaccessible the most disheartening.
Tom Schulte
Thomas
When most war coverage consists of political rants, "expert" commentary, or I'm-not-a-hero memoirs, it is refreshing to read a fine warrior's boast. This book may not feature the alliterative poetry of Beowulf, but it still revels in feats of strength and courage, as well as the ensuing carnage.

The narration, while not beautiful, gets the job done.
Tom Rodriguez
As the title states, this is a book about an Army special forces team that is inserted into Iraq at the beginning of the 2003 Iraq invasion. Antenori details the operations, planning, training, and support that allowed the team to succeed, and also documents some of the problems that he encountered in working with the various factions of Iraq's population.
Liam
...and a half. Not quite worth four stars, but still well worth reading. I don't remember reading any other memoirs from 3rd Group before, so I'm guessing there are not many out there. If for no other reason, that fact alone makes this a good one to read, and the story itself is well told and fast moving.
David Moroff
This book was interesting because I learned about a lot of things that I hadn't known about before. I learned about the different ways that the military reacts to problems and about the way the people in the military survive in combat. i recommend this book to everyone.
Vicky
Pretty good description of life as a member of a U.S. Special Forces Team at war. The author is good at bringing the reader into the story, and I could relate to how he must have felt when his team was mobbed by the press.
Chris
Tells the story of an A-team in the early days of Iraq 2. Interesting study on the ins and outs of Green Beret training and operations, and should be a good read for anyone interested in the subject.
Michael Kassin
This book starts with the rigorous training and eventual plunge into war. Their will and courage will be tested when at a crossroads. Great read on the Iraq War.
Dakota
This book is very interesting, and i would highly recommend it to anyone who is into this genre. I've read it 3 times and it's on my my favorite books.
Patt
An average story not so good though nothing about their training or personal lives a story of incompetence in command and getting tank killing munitions.
Ray S
Good reading...

Very helpful in understanding the situation overseas and getting a slight sense of what are troops face in battle.
Bale
Great action, well written. Explains inner workings of Army ODA team. A must for anyone interested in small unit tactics and leadership.
Randy Funk
Interesting story, it was a good read. I liked having noncoms in charge! It's the working men that get things done.
Boozy
excellent account of ODA 391's actions early in the Iraq war. I felt that the authors insight into the leadership was excellent.
Joe
Great book ...Frank is a master operator a definite american hero ... Great read very evenly sewn and interesting ...
Patrick Ross
While the news followed the big army, these men made it happen.
James Denny
A good book on life in the ODA Teams of the Army's Special Forces in the invasion of Iraq.
Jake Prest
Good writing, action but took too long to read something that could've been summarized shortly.
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • The Night Stalkers
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces
  • Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
  • Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan