Start by marking “Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War” as Want to Read:
Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War

Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,288 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
On April 6th, 2003, twenty-six Green Berets, including those of Sergeant 1st Class Frank Antenori's Special Forces A-team (call sign Roughneck Nine-One), confronted a vastly superior force—one that included battle tanks and more than 150 well-trained, well-equipped, and well-commanded soldiers—at a remote crossroads near the small village of Debecka, Iraq. The rest is hist ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 30th 2006)

Eric
Mar 04, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book that gives the reader an inside look at a Special Forces A team. It's a good read if you are interested in that sort of thing, but probably won't do much for you if you aren't. Frank Antenori is now retired and running for office. To me, it feels at times like he wrote this book to define himself for political purposes - his "PT 109" story, if you will. Antenori tells his story as if he were unerring, unphased, and unaltered by war. I felt that books like Jarhead and House to House w ...more
Ru
May 24, 2013 Ru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first-hand account of The Battle of Debecka Ridge in Iraq by Sgt. Antenori is equal parts tactical & action-packed, but also offers some valuable lessons along the way. This book is very much a meat-and-potatoes account of a military life, and it reads like no detail is spared from training to deployment on various missions, before hitting the crux. Sgt. Antenori is very analytical & does an excellent job of not only detailing specific events, but explaining why certain actions were ...more
Jerome
Apr 21, 2012 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical Special Forces story. The story is not a covert operation of any kind. The SF groups engage the enemy on an open battlefield. Sgt. Frank Antenori states this in the beginning of the book. He shares this story because it is a great accomplishment by a greatly outnumbered unit.

The intro into the book explains the great need our country has for Special Forces. I enjoyed this because he gives reasons why the U.S should have more elite soldiers to carry out missions.

The first
Amanda
Aug 23, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2009
I am not usually one for military history or books about wars. I much prefer to read fiction that happens to have war as a backdrop and generally read to escape my own reality. Sometimes it is difficult to escape into someone else’s reality.

My cousin Jake (ok he’s not really my cousin — my mom and his dad are cousins, so that makes him my second cousin once removed?) is a green beret and is part of the Special Forces team that miraculously came out of Iraq unscathed in April 2003. I remember goi
Joshua Emil
Apr 29, 2013 Joshua Emil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-history
Roughneck Nine-One is not your story where misfits band together, get themselves stuck in a sticky situation and return with overwhelming results. This isn't G.I. Joe. This a true story of men in the War on Terror who, through thick and thin, managed overcome an enemy that 'outnumbered them five to one'. They were considered as the black sheep in their unit, 3rd Special Forces Group and maintained that reputation when their finest hour came.
Frank Antenori and Hans Halberstadt gave an unprecedent
Andrew
Jan 14, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I never served in the military so I have no idea what war is like. I found this an interesting and well-paced look inside a military unit. If you have never read a book like this, you should give it a try. It gives you a view into an experience that you would not otherwise get. It is not as gritty as House to House. House to House An Epic Memoir of War by David Bellavia Which is good if you (like me) are faint of heart.
Olav
Mar 29, 2016 Olav rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Antenori's account is a well-written one, yet I can not give it a favourable review. It tells the story of a team of soldiers preparing for, and then going to, war. It struck me early on as a story that is unusually eloquent for its genre, and thus I enjoyed reading it, even if the story itself is not especially original or even interesting. Still, military accounts interest me on a general basis, and the world of special forces has always fascinated me. In war, it is ultimately the job of soldi ...more
Robert T.  Garcia
May 25, 2012 Robert T. Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-stuff
Wow, what a ride. Great story and much respect for those men who become members of the small community of Special Forces and don the Green Beret.
Excellent details of the battles and training that took place. It felt like I was in the middle of the events that unfolded in the story
A must read to understand what it took to win the war in Iraq.
Kevin
I guess "you had to be there." The book discusses Operational detachment Alpha team 91 (nicknamed Roughneck Nine One), or A-Team 91, during a particular battle in Iraq. There were some cool things about the battle... however I think the biggest factor in the battle was the relatively new Javelin missile system. Essentially they hung back and shot boatloads of trucks, APC's and other vehicles with these anti-tank missiles. It wasn't the down and dirty kind of fighting that was described with such ...more
Jeff
Sep 01, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing style and narrative form for this book was a LOT better than many books of this type that I have read int he past. I really enjoyed the flow and the information provided. Now, the big issues is judging how accurate the view is that the author is presenting when you read a story like this. There are far to many books about combat and especially the Special Forces, that have been embellished to the point that they defy reality. This one seemed authentic without the superman issues I ha ...more
Kalub D Duggins
Nov 02, 2014 Kalub D Duggins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read, well written.

This book holds your attention and will give you a good look inside of the Special Forces. You will see the day to day operations in details.
Stacy Johnson
Feb 15, 2015 Stacy Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!

Action packed. Lots of information about how they operate. Makes you wish you were there to join in on the fight.
John
Apr 30, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book that takes you through the details of the Roughneck Nine-One team.
John
Oct 31, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. This is a first hand account of Special Forces A-Teams in Iraq. It tells somewhat of their initial training, but focuses mostly on gearing up for war. It describes their training in the states, how these A-teams (Operational Detachment Alphas) are organized and how such small teams destroyed the Iraqi army in the North. My interest was kept from the beginning until the end. If you enjoy books about War, Soldiers, History or Special Operations then I highly recommend ...more
Melody Mills-dolan
Great book! Flowed easily. I love this type of writing. I respect the men of SpecWarComm doing a job that most men would not could not do. Much respect for those that protect our country while we lie safe in our beds.
Tom Schulte
A good tale of building a special ops A-Team getting them to Iraq and engaging a tank group with javelin missiles despite political inefficiencies of the American infantry establishment and unseasoned leadership ("Major X"). I found the scientific methodology of modern American warfard the most interesting and the pig headedness that made that intelligent design often so inaccessible the most disheartening.
Tom Schulte
Thomas
May 31, 2009 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
When most war coverage consists of political rants, "expert" commentary, or I'm-not-a-hero memoirs, it is refreshing to read a fine warrior's boast. This book may not feature the alliterative poetry of Beowulf, but it still revels in feats of strength and courage, as well as the ensuing carnage.

The narration, while not beautiful, gets the job done.
Tom Rodriguez
Apr 15, 2007 Tom Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
As the title states, this is a book about an Army special forces team that is inserted into Iraq at the beginning of the 2003 Iraq invasion. Antenori details the operations, planning, training, and support that allowed the team to succeed, and also documents some of the problems that he encountered in working with the various factions of Iraq's population.
Liam
...and a half. Not quite worth four stars, but still well worth reading. I don't remember reading any other memoirs from 3rd Group before, so I'm guessing there are not many out there. If for no other reason, that fact alone makes this a good one to read, and the story itself is well told and fast moving.
David Moroff
This book was interesting because I learned about a lot of things that I hadn't known about before. I learned about the different ways that the military reacts to problems and about the way the people in the military survive in combat. i recommend this book to everyone.
Vicky
Jan 21, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-s-military
Pretty good description of life as a member of a U.S. Special Forces Team at war. The author is good at bringing the reader into the story, and I could relate to how he must have felt when his team was mobbed by the press.
Chris
Jan 18, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
Tells the story of an A-team in the early days of Iraq 2. Interesting study on the ins and outs of Green Beret training and operations, and should be a good read for anyone interested in the subject.
Michael Kassin
Jul 28, 2012 Michael Kassin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with the rigorous training and eventual plunge into war. Their will and courage will be tested when at a crossroads. Great read on the Iraq War.
Dakota
Apr 16, 2010 Dakota rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very interesting, and i would highly recommend it to anyone who is into this genre. I've read it 3 times and it's on my my favorite books.
Patt
Aug 10, 2013 Patt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An average story not so good though nothing about their training or personal lives a story of incompetence in command and getting tank killing munitions.
Ray S
Dec 07, 2012 Ray S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading...

Very helpful in understanding the situation overseas and getting a slight sense of what are troops face in battle.
Bale
Nov 01, 2008 Bale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Great action, well written. Explains inner workings of Army ODA team. A must for anyone interested in small unit tactics and leadership.
Randy Funk
May 10, 2013 Randy Funk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story, it was a good read. I liked having noncoms in charge! It's the working men that get things done.
Boozy
May 01, 2011 Boozy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, non-fiction
excellent account of ODA 391's actions early in the Iraq war. I felt that the authors insight into the leadership was excellent.
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • The Night Stalkers
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
  • Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces
  • Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
  • In The Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat In Iraq
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces

“Taking a trip with the Air Force Special Operations Wing folks is not like a flight on a normal airliner. For one thing, passengers and crew are all armed to the teeth. The seating is awful, the noise is incredible, and there is no movie. Your stewardess is likely to be a guy wearing a shoulder holster, and he will not bring you a pillow.” 0 likes