Anna's Gift

Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters #3)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Surprise Proposal In Amish Country...

No one in Seven Poplars, Delaware, expects Anna Yoder ever to marry. Among her six pretty, petite sisters, big and plain Anna feels like a plow horse. But then Samuel Mast, the handsome widowed father she has secretly loved for years, asks if he can court her. Surely Anna has misheard—Samuel has his pick of lovely brides! She’s convinc...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Andrea Guy
Anna's Gift is part of the Love Inspired mini-series Hannah's Daughters. It is a sweet love story between a widower and a younger Amish girl.

I've read a lot of Amish books this year and this one stands out among them, because it really was a simple love story. There was conflict but it was normal conflict that is experienced in day to day life whether you are Amish or an "Englischer."

Anna wasn't the typical romance novel heroine. She's fat. Yup, I said it, fat. Sturdy is what many of the charact...more
Judy
Anna's Gift by Emma Miller

Anna Yoder feels that she is the ugly one in her family. With her beautiful thin sisters around her, Anna compares her large plain self to them. She was teased about her weight as a child and now at age twenty-one, she knows she may never be loved. She has secretly admired Samuel Mast from far back already. He seems to be courting her Mam and she cannot imagine him being her step-father. On the other hand she knows such a handsome man would never look her way.

Samuel ha...more
Title: ANNA’S GIFT
Author: Emma Miller
Publisher: Love Inspired
October 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-87699-0
Genre: Inspirational/Amish/romance

Anna Yoder never expects to marry. Anna has six pretty, petite sisters, and Anna is big, overweight, and plain. Even her mother tells her so. Anna is accepting of her future, even when the handsome widower she’s long admired appears to be calling on her mother. She’s not sure how she feels about him being her step-dad, but she accepts it.

Samuel Mast is only eight yea...more
Maureen Timerman
When Samuel Mast expresses an interest in Anna Yoder, she is sure she heard him wrong and he meant her mother. Anna is a big boned girl, and can't imagine a man as handsome as Samuel being interested in her.
Anna does not have very good self esteem, but is so kind hearted. To make things worse some of her Aunts and Cousins, tell her that Samuel only wants her to cook, clean and watch his children. They tell her she a big fat girl and he surely would never love her!
Samuel lost his wife 4 years ago...more
Jodie
Anna, just 21 years old, still isn't married and is beginning to wonder if she ever will. She's not the prettiest and because of her love for cooking, she's also a little "fuller" than the other Amish girls her age. When her mother leaves to bring her grandmother home, Anna is shocked by a proposal she was sure would never come. But, does he only want her for a mother to his children? Anna was really hoping for so much more.

I really enjoyed this sweet story. I really enjoyed the author letting u...more
Carmen
This is a Love Inspired book, part of a series set in an Amish community. I like the cast of characters so I went out of my way to find this book. Harlequin novels have a short shelf life and as I have favorite authors writing in the genre, I tend to be diligent in checking ahead for upcoming publications. I view reading a Harlequin similar to watching an hour or two of television but since reading is far and away the drug of choice, I derive much pleasure from this activity. This series is abou...more
Abbie
Anna is just 21 and able to marry yet she feels she is fat and figures no one will ever want to marry her. She secretly has a crush on the the widowed neighbor named Samuel. Anna thinks he is going to court her mom(he is 16 years older then Anna). So she is shocked when he asks to court her!

Samuel has been a widow for 4 years and is ready to find a new wife. Even though Anna is only 21 and he 36 he can’t help but be drawn to her. Will he be able to convince Anna he loves her and does not just w...more
Susan
Good book. I liked both Anna and Samuel. Anna is stunned when Samuel asks to court her. He could have his pick of any of the girls in the community, but he's asking her. She has had a dream of being married for love but doesn't expect it. She is a big girl who has been teased about it for years. She doesn't see how he could truly be interested in her as a person. She couldn't see that her inner beauty was so much more important to him. I loved how good she was with her sister and with Samuel's k...more
Ausjenny
I just finished this book and really enjoyed it. Anna is bigger than her sisters and has been teased all her life for being big. Samuel lost his wife 4 years ago and everyone thought he wanted to court Anna's mother. Right from the beginning this book had me hooked. Samuel wants to court Anna but Anna thinks he could only want her to look after his children and cook and clean for him. He is quite handsome and she doesn't think he could love her for herself. I really felt for Anna in a world wher...more
Donna

This story is my favorite so far, of all the books in the series. Anna has so much to offer a man, although none of the men (and many of the women) can't see it. I love how Samuel can see it... and appreciate it... and dear, sweet Anna.

Samuel appreciates Anna for her inner beauty and her gift of hospitality, her good sense and kindness. But unknown to Anna, Samuel has been attracted to her for several years... he's been giving her time to grow up... and maybe time for him to get his courage up t...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

She’d admired Samuel from afar, but knew he’d never be interested in her. So when he asks her about courting, she gets so excited and embarrassed she falls off the ladder and douses both of them with the blue paint she was using. How can she ever look at him again?

Ms. Miller has written a very pleasant Amish tale about those who live “plain” and have certain rules to follow regarding appropriate behavior and courting. Her main charact...more
Rachel Brand
GENRE: AMISH ROMANCE
PUBLISHER: STEEPLE HILL/HARLEQUIN
PUBLICATION DATE: SEPTEMBER 9, 2011
RATING: 9 OUT OF 10

In the latest addition to Emma Miller’s Hannah’s Daughters series, Anna Yoder finds herself receiving a surprising marriage proposal. After watching all of her older sisters marry and leave the family home, Anna longs to be swept off her feet by a suitor, but believes this will never happen since she doesn’t have the pretty face or slim figure of her attractive sisters. So when handsome wid...more
Robbi
Shari Larsen
This is the third book in the Hannah's Daughters series. Anna is the focus of this story; tall and overweight, Anna has always felt like a plow horse next to her pretty and petite sisters. She has secretly loved widowed Samuel Mast for years, but still, she is surprised when he asks if he can court her, but does he truly love her, or is he just looking for a housekeeper and a mother for his young children? Anna wants to be sure before she marries, but she is also afraid that if she does not marr...more
Hsiau Wei
I like Anna's character alot. Reading thru this book with such a likeable character make it easy and smooth for me. ;) Anna, depicted as a plump and not so pretty as compared to her other sisters, has always have a low self-esteemed. Hence, when Samuel make his intention to court her, she was so surprised that she fell of the ladder! Nevertheless, due to her inferior complex, she have a hard time in convincing herself that Samuel is in love with her and not for other reasons. Her confusion was a...more
Cami Fulkerson
I liked the book. It was different than most romance novels because Anna feels so bad about herself. She learned in the end to love herself so that in turn she could be loved and have a meaningful marriage.
Rachael

ANNA’S GIFT by Emma Miller
Anna Yoder is sure that she has misunderstood. Widower Samuel Mast can’t possibly be interested in her. Why would he want big and plain Anna, when he could have his pick of beautiful, petite women?
Samuel does want to court Anna, but she isn’t sure. Does Samuel really want Anna, or just a mother for his five young children? She asks for more time, and there are obstacles to overcome, both in the family—his twin sons and her aunt— and the community.
This is a sweet story...more
Kristin
I loved "Anna's Gift" written by Emma Miller. I could really relate to the main character Anna Yoder. She was a hard-working daughter who really was devoted to her mother and all those around her thinking little of herself.

She also did not consider herself "worthy" of someone else's affections because she felt sooo plain~~"big and plain" in outward appearance. However, Anna proved she was beautiful, both inwardly and in her outward appearance.

This was a wonderful book that focused around hope,...more
Ellen Sara
I had no idea that Harlequin had a Christian romance imprint! That thought made me very excited. Anna's gift was a very sweet romance. You can't help but fall in love with the kind hearted Anna and understand her hesitations about entering into a courtship with the handsome and wealthy Samuel. Anna is a wonderful character and I really enjoyed getting to know her. This was a fast easy read. It was so refreshing to read a clean romance. Yay!! I thought the author did a good job developing Anna an...more
April Suter
A visit back to Seven Poplars, Delaware and into the Amish life of "Hannah's Daughters." Anna is not too sure that her neighbor Samuel really wants to court her, not her mother. Does he love her or does he just want someone to take care of his kids? And how can she take care of her aging grandmother, also. Well, when the twins put cow poop in her aunt's boots you know there are some tough decisions to pray over with God.
217 pages
Mia
I grabbed this off my mother's book shelf to read while sitting in the E.R. with my elderly father - by no means a great book but sweet and gentle which is just what I needed at the time! A quick, easy read with no worries.
I'm giving this 3 stars because I enjoyed it and if you like light Amish fiction I think you will enjoy 'Anna's Gift'. Not a book I'm likely to reread but it sure helped to pass those 9 hrs in the E.R.!
Sdcraftnmom
I loved Anna's Gift.. Being a larger woman i can understand her hesitation in believing that Samuel had chosen her... I love her caring relationship with her sister Susanna.. having a special needs child myself i know how sweet and innocent they can be.I loved getting to know the whole family.. Even Grossmama and her dementia and Jezebel who reminds me of a family friend... was a quick read by most enjoyable...
Carolyn E
Enjoyed it!! I am enjoying the entire series. Will be reading the fourth book, Leah's Choice, next, and finally, Redeeming Grace. I believe the next book in this series will be released in May, 2013.
Judith
I liked Anna's gift. I read some Amish novels but grow tired of the women being so beautiful, so perfect, so everything. I loved that Anna wasn't all of those things but was beautiful in herself. I think that is so true and Emma Miller brought it out so nicely.
Deann Doolittle
Was given this by a friend. I liked it because I love any Amish book that can take me to their part of the world. I thought it dragged on a little too long in the middle but it was a nice read nonetheless.
Darlene Roy
Anna may not be the pretty sister but she has a heart of gold. I loved the story. Recommend as a good read.
Marilyn
This was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading. Excellent book read. I would recommend it to anyone.
Bayareabookaholic
Sweet love story that highlights how necessary self confidence is in a relationship.
Natalie
This is a beuatiful story. I love the characters. The plot is also good.
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • The Protector (Families of Honor, #2)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • The Wonder of Your Love (A Land of Canaan Series #2)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Brush of Angel's Wings (Heaven On Earth #2)
  • Leaving Lancaster (Legacy of Lancaster, #1)
  • What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters, #1) Miriam's Heart (Hannah's Daughters, #2) Leah's Choice (Hannah's Daughters, #4) Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6) Redeeming Grace (Hannah's Daughters, #5)