Start by marking “50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know Revised & Upated: What to Do, When to Do It, & Why” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"50 Things Every YoungGentleman Should Know" is a young man s guide to becoming the type of guythat people respect and enjoy. He knows how to shake hands. He knows how to bea good sport. He knows how to give a genuine compliment and how to speak hismind without being offensive. His friends listen to what he has to say, and hereturns the favor. He knows how to achieve the p ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published October 31st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know Revised & Upated

JP
I wish I'd had this as a kid. I like that it encourages young men to act like young men, not little boys. It also provides a modern perspective on classic manners.
Sean E.
50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know is a book about manners. The book contains 50 rules that all young people should know. Each chapter is on a different rule. It starts with a summary of why you should do what it says with rewards and penalties. then it gives what to do and when and what not to do after another brief summary of why to do it it gives multiple examples that apply to different scenarios in which it could be used. It covers everything that relates to the rules and gave me a ...more
James Marsh
Personal Confession Time: Growing up I felt like an alien placed on this planet who had to study how to interact with people and learn how humans relate to one another. I saw other kids acting and playing like normal kids with each other but I largely did not understand how they knew to do such things. I was Sheldon Cooper without the genius intellect.

I would do or say things, observe the reaction and try to learn to recalibrate for future situations.

Eventually I found books like How To Win Frie
Mark Muckerman
"Gentleman" is not a dirty word.

It's the little differences, the social graces, which separate the gentleman from the common man. It is not top hats, capes and attending the opera. It is holding doors for a lady, saying thank you for a gift in all circumstances, and knowing which silverware to use, and when. It is knowing when to speak, and when to hold commentary; it is knowing what to say and what not to say in changing circumstances.

Bridges once again provides an insightful, thoughtful and pr
Concordian Library
15 Copies Available
2014-2015:

G6 Set
Alejandro
Este es un libro de cabecera para todos los papás primerizos, o personas interesadas en aprender protocolo. Este libro explica sin razón y sin embargo con mucho sentido común, todas las situaciones en las que un pequeño señor tiene que ser educado.
Desde la explicación del por qué decir "por favor", hasta las razones por las que un hombre le tiene que abrir la puerta a una mujer.
Laela
I find myself walking around telling my family what a young gentleman would and would not do. I don’t even have a young gentleman in my house. It is a lot of stuff you probably know, but it’s always nice to be reminded. I know that I have deflected a few compliments in my day instead of just saying “Thank You.” Thank you for taking the time to read this review ;)
George Noland II
While the book is a little outdated on some subjects, my family enjoyed it. I read a chapter out loud each night at dinner. It made for excellent discussion on the various issues presented.
Manny
Useless little book. These are things my 6 year old has already learned. Maybe if you have living under a rock, this book would be useful. If not...... not so much.
Anne
Every young guy should read it. It's full with 'common sense' tips. Written in a very simple, fun and easy to follow language.
Amy
read a few to my boys at the dinner table every night and discussed them. Think this might be one to own and keep close by!!
Melody
Amusing, warm, and informative, this etiquette guide for boys strikes all the right notes. Covers the basics, and a bit beyond.
Ed
Cute book on manners that should be part of every young man's 7th birthday. What to do, why to do it and how.
Molly
I am making my son read this as well - much of the advice is perfect for anyone, not just young men.
Jo
Sep 15, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and those around them
This is writen for todays teens.
Nyx
Nyx marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 08, 2015
Colson Lin
Colson Lin marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Timothy Kauphusman
Timothy Kauphusman marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Giancarlo Ornelas
Giancarlo Ornelas marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Sid Albritton
Sid Albritton marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Worn
Worn is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2015
  • Almost a Psychopath: Do I (or Does Someone I Know) Have a Problem with Manipulation and Lack of Empathy?
  • How To Think Like Sherlock
  • Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
  • Escape from Evil: Married at 17 to a Serial Killer, She's One Victim Who Escaped
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media
  • What Stories Does My Son Need?: A Guide to Books and Movies that Build Character in Boys
  • The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test [with CD-ROM]
  • The Burning House: What Would You Take?
  • Of Africa
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • The Last Full Measure: Death in Battle Through the Ages
  • Shake the World: It's Not About Finding a Job, It's About Creating a Life
  • The End Game: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Iraq, from George W. Bush to Barack Obama
  • Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain
  • On the Couch
  • حب القراءة
  • The 9/11 Wars
John Bridges is the author of the bestselling book, HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN, today's most popular guide to etiquette for the modern man. When it comes to handling any issue related to courtesy, common or uncommon -- whether it's how to use a shrimp fork, how to conduct yourself in a business meeting, or knowing when to turn off your cell phone -- John is "Mr. Right."

"Over the course of my life, I've
More about John Bridges...
How to Be a Gentleman: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy As a Gentleman Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up: What to Wear, When to Wear It, How to Wear It A Gentleman at the Table: A Concise, Contemporary Guide to Table Manners A Gentleman Entertains: A Guide to Making Memorable Occasions Happen