Start by marking “50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know Revised and Upated: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know is a young man s guide to becoming the type of guy that people respect and enjoy. He knows how to shake hands. He knows how to be a good sport. He knows how to give a genuine compliment and how to speak his mind without being offensive. His friends listen to what he has to say, and he returns the favor. He knows how to achieve th ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published October 31st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know Revised and Upated

Amy
Aug 31, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read a few to my boys at the dinner table every night and discussed them. Think this might be one to own and keep close by!!
Angela
Dec 10, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned about this book just in time. Now I can teach my boys some important things before dating and going on their missions!
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd had this as a kid. I like that it encourages young men to act like young men, not little boys. It also provides a modern perspective on classic manners.
Sean E.
Apr 04, 2011 Sean E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know is a book about manners. The book contains 50 rules that all young people should know. Each chapter is on a different rule. It starts with a summary of why you should do what it says with rewards and penalties. then it gives what to do and when and what not to do after another brief summary of why to do it it gives multiple examples that apply to different scenarios in which it could be used. It covers everything that relates to the rules and gave me a ...more
James Marsh
Nov 14, 2012 James Marsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Confession Time: Growing up I felt like an alien placed on this planet who had to study how to interact with people and learn how humans relate to one another. I saw other kids acting and playing like normal kids with each other but I largely did not understand how they knew to do such things. I was Sheldon Cooper without the genius intellect.

I would do or say things, observe the reaction and try to learn to recalibrate for future situations.

Eventually I found books like How To Win Frie
Mark Muckerman
Dec 24, 2012 Mark Muckerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Gentleman" is not a dirty word.

It's the little differences, the social graces, which separate the gentleman from the common man. It is not top hats, capes and attending the opera. It is holding doors for a lady, saying thank you for a gift in all circumstances, and knowing which silverware to use, and when. It is knowing when to speak, and when to hold commentary; it is knowing what to say and what not to say in changing circumstances.

Bridges once again provides an insightful, thoughtful and pr
Alejandro
Jan 07, 2014 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este es un libro de cabecera para todos los papás primerizos, o personas interesadas en aprender protocolo. Este libro explica sin razón y sin embargo con mucho sentido común, todas las situaciones en las que un pequeño señor tiene que ser educado.
Desde la explicación del por qué decir "por favor", hasta las razones por las que un hombre le tiene que abrir la puerta a una mujer.
Laela
Apr 29, 2012 Laela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I find myself walking around telling my family what a young gentleman would and would not do. I don’t even have a young gentleman in my house. It is a lot of stuff you probably know, but it’s always nice to be reminded. I know that I have deflected a few compliments in my day instead of just saying “Thank You.” Thank you for taking the time to read this review ;)
Concordian Library
15 Copies Available
Last Used in 2012 with Yatima, Grade 5.

G6 Set
George Noland II
While the book is a little outdated on some subjects, my family enjoyed it. I read a chapter out loud each night at dinner. It made for excellent discussion on the various issues presented.
Manny
Nov 07, 2012 Manny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Useless little book. These are things my 6 year old has already learned. Maybe if you have living under a rock, this book would be useful. If not...... not so much.
Anne
Mar 11, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every young guy should read it. It's full with 'common sense' tips. Written in a very simple, fun and easy to follow language.
Melody
Sep 15, 2007 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, warm, and informative, this etiquette guide for boys strikes all the right notes. Covers the basics, and a bit beyond.
Ed
May 08, 2009 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book on manners that should be part of every young man's 7th birthday. What to do, why to do it and how.
Molly
Sep 05, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am making my son read this as well - much of the advice is perfect for anyone, not just young men.
Stephen Basche
I feel like a proper little boy
Jo
Sep 15, 2007 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and those around them
This is writen for todays teens.
Sir Elenwë
Sir Elenwë marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Jacob
Jacob is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Harold Christians
Harold Christians marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Krissy
Krissy rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Alexandru Rosianu
Alexandru Rosianu marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 18, 2016
Zhangq
Zhangq marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Bunny Sawyer
Bunny Sawyer marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Gabriel Moreno
Gabriel Moreno marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Aleksey Maleyko
Aleksey Maleyko marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Almost a Psychopath: Do I (or Does Someone I Know) Have a Problem with Manipulation and Lack of Empathy?
  • On the Couch
  • Escape from Evil: Married at 17 to a Serial Killer, She's One Victim Who Escaped
  • Guinness World Records 2016
  • Healing the Angry Brain: How Understanding the Way Your Brain Works Can Help You Control Anger and Aggression
  • How to Be a Genius
  • Shake the World: It's Not About Finding a Job, It's About Creating a Life
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • What Stories Does My Son Need?: A Guide to Books and Movies that Build Character in Boys
  • Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
  • Do I Have to Say Hello? Aunt Delia's Manners Quiz for Kids and Their Grownups
  • Woe is I Jr.: The Younger Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in PlainEnglish
  • The Burning House: What Would You Take?
  • How To Think Like Sherlock
  • حب القراءة
  • Conquering the Impossible: My 12,000-Mile Journey Around the Arctic Circle
  • Thirty Days Has September
  • How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents
John Bridges is the author of the bestselling book, HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN, today's most popular guide to etiquette for the modern man. When it comes to handling any issue related to courtesy, common or uncommon -- whether it's how to use a shrimp fork, how to conduct yourself in a business meeting, or knowing when to turn off your cell phone -- John is "Mr. Right."

"Over the course of my life, I've
More about John Bridges...