Start by marking “Singing in the Comeback Choir” as Want to Read:
Singing in the Comeback Choir

Singing in the Comeback Choir

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,599 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Forgiveness is the key to the recovery of the soul. It is this lesson that the characters in Bebe Moore Campbell's poignant new novel must learn. Life is good for Maxine McCoy. She is the executive producer of a popular talk show, married to a man she loves, and pregnant with their child. But her security is shattered when a call from the caretaker of her seventy-six-year- ...more
Published February 16th 1998 by Putnam Adult (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Singing in the Comeback Choir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singing in the Comeback Choir

May 15, 2008 Monica rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan. I think Campbell knows the workings of a solid novel with believable characters, setting, and relatabke story.
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2008
Sep 23, 2008 Ashti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bebe Moore Campbell (God rest her soul to the mother who produced the Gorgeous Maia Campbell "Tiffany" from the t.v. show "In the House" with that damn Fine ass L.L. Cool J), the bestselling author of this novel takes you into the lives of two unforgettable women: Maxine, who thinks she has it all, and her grandmother Lindy, a once-brilliant singer who's about to give Maxine a lesson in faith, commitment and comebacks...

Mar 31, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
This was a "fun" book although it dealt with some heavy subject matter. There was the theme of going home, even when that home is far from what your life is now. Bebe Moore Campbell does a nice job of making her characters likable, real and sympathetic, especially when dealing with some difficult decisions that are a test of loyalty. This is the second book I have read by her and I find her style easy to read and quite descriptive.
Mar 30, 2009 Lynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An entirely predictable book--poorly written and just a waste of my time. Had to read for my book club.
Ann Marie
Aug 16, 2009 Ann Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2011
Jul 07, 2011 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-2011
After the Marquez book this was a frothy, light read. However there wasn’t really much to take note of and I really didn’t think the writing was that terrific either. The story was about an African-American woman named Maxine who has the usual husband, job & family issues. The plot centers around what she should do about her grandmother Lindy who has lost her drive and ambition since she “lost” her singing voice. Very predictable ending but overall a harmless book.
Mirna Valerio
Mirna Valerio rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Nov 13, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of surprised me. At first I didn't like it so much but after I got into it I was hooked. I found myself sitting in the parking lot of my apartment complex with the car off just listening to the story. ha ha. The story was really touching and I had a few tears in my eyes during the last chapter.
Jen rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Apr 27, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, 2005
Maxine's grandmother has lost faith in herself. She is drinking and smoking too much in order to be able to hide from her belief that she can no longer sing. The downturn in her fortune is reflected in her neighbourhood where litter, graffiti and petty crime become more common by the day. Maxine has escaped to LA. but finds success has its own problems. As Maxine returns to her grandmother's home to try and help sort out the problems both women learn that they must be prepared to trust themselve ...more
Tongela rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Nafeesa rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Gina Lucas
Gina Lucas rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Tonya Johnson
Tonya Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
May 07, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maxine McCoy is a successful TV producer in Los Angeles, married and expecting her first child when she hears that she must return to Philadelphia to care for her seventy-year-old grandmother. Maxine was raised by her grandmother, Lindy, a singing star, and Maxine wants to hear her sing again. “This is a moving story of hope and redemption, of the faith and commitment that can make any comeback possible.”
Mahoghani 23
This book was light-hearted and witty. I enjoyed reading from the beginning to the end.
Dee rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
rosalieaprile rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
K Nicole
Apr 24, 2014 K Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely boring, and a complete waste of my time. I fell asleep several times while reading this book.
Maxie rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Aug 10, 2014 April rated it really liked it
This book, to me, is essentially a story about redemption. One of the protagonists is Maxine, an executive producer of a talk show who is struggling to repair her relationship with her husband after his infidelity and keep her talk show afloat, despite floundering ratings. The other is Lindy, Maxine's grandmother and a once-popular singer. Lindy is battling the demons of alcoholism, smoking, and broken dreams. The book takes us along as Maxine and Lindy help each other to heal and find new oppor ...more
Teesa rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Stanjay Daniels
Apr 06, 2015 Stanjay Daniels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading a book from this author, BeBe Moore Campbell, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book! 5 stars! It was a feel good book, filled with life, love, music and God! I was left feeling inspired and wanting a sequel!
Brendia Brooks
Brendia Brooks rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 21, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to La Tonya by: Sisters With Soul Book Club
Shelves: favorites
This book is realistic. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maxine was not sure where she belonged anymore when all her dreams started to go up in smoke as the old saying goes. I love BeBe Moore Campbell's writing style. It is clear and precise. It is real. She allows you the reader to visualize her characters and stand in their footsteps.
Oct 09, 2016 Jewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Campbell was a talented writer. I read all of her books and was devastated when she passed away, quite some time ago. Since she is a Philly girl and several if not all of her works took place here, it was even more intriguing to read her stories and know where they were taking place. Wish she was still here.
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as her last book, Brothers and Sisters! Moore has a great writing style that really makes her characters come alive. Maxine has escaped the inner city and is working successfully in L.A. as an executive producer of a TV talk show. But her grandmother, Lindy, who raised her after her own mother’s death, is ill, and the woman Maxine had hired to take care of her is leaving. So it’s back to Philadelphia and her old neighborhood to try to put together a workable solution. Timing is awfu ...more
Rozella Frison
Rozella Frison rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
  • Scenes from a Sistah
  • I Know I've Been Changed
  • Rosie's Curl And Weave
  • A Sin and a Shame
Bebe Moore Campbell (February 18, 1950 – November 27, 2006), was the author of three New York Times bestsellers, Brothers and Sisters, Singing in the Comeback Choir, and What You Owe Me, which was also a Los Angeles Times "Best Book of 2001". Her other works include the novel Your Blues Ain't Like Mine, which was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year and the winner of the NAACP Image Award for ...more
More about Bebe Moore Campbell...

“Forgiveness is the key to the recovery of the soul.” 3 likes