Start by marking “Singing in the Comeback Choir” as Want to Read:
Singing in the Comeback Choir

Singing in the Comeback Choir

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,331 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Forgiveness is the key to the recovery of the soul. It is this lesson that the characters in Bebe Moore Campbell's poignant new novel must learn. Life is good for Maxine McCoy. She is the executive producer of a popular talk show, married to a man she loves, and pregnant with their child. But her security is shattered when a call from the caretaker of her seventy-six-year- ...more
Published February 16th 1998 by Putnam Adult (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Singing in the Comeback Choir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singing in the Comeback Choir

April
This book, to me, is essentially a story about redemption. One of the protagonists is Maxine, an executive producer of a talk show who is struggling to repair her relationship with her husband after his infidelity and keep her talk show afloat, despite floundering ratings. The other is Lindy, Maxine's grandmother and a once-popular singer. Lindy is battling the demons of alcoholism, smoking, and broken dreams. The book takes us along as Maxine and Lindy help each other to heal and find new oppor ...more
La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 21, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to La Tonya by: Sisters With Soul Book Club
Shelves: favorites
This book is realistic. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maxine was not sure where she belonged anymore when all her dreams started to go up in smoke as the old saying goes. I love BeBe Moore Campbell's writing style. It is clear and precise. It is real. She allows you the reader to visualize her characters and stand in their footsteps.
Nicole K
This book was absolutely boring, and a complete waste of my time. I fell asleep several times while reading this book.
Teresa
Maxine's grandmother has lost faith in herself. She is drinking and smoking too much in order to be able to hide from her belief that she can no longer sing. The downturn in her fortune is reflected in her neighbourhood where litter, graffiti and petty crime become more common by the day. Maxine has escaped to LA. but finds success has its own problems. As Maxine returns to her grandmother's home to try and help sort out the problems both women learn that they must be prepared to trust themselve ...more
Kelley
After the Marquez book this was a frothy, light read. However there wasn’t really much to take note of and I really didn’t think the writing was that terrific either. The story was about an African-American woman named Maxine who has the usual husband, job & family issues. The plot centers around what she should do about her grandmother Lindy who has lost her drive and ambition since she “lost” her singing voice. Very predictable ending but overall a harmless book.
Andrea
This was a "fun" book although it dealt with some heavy subject matter. There was the theme of going home, even when that home is far from what your life is now. Bebe Moore Campbell does a nice job of making her characters likable, real and sympathetic, especially when dealing with some difficult decisions that are a test of loyalty. This is the second book I have read by her and I find her style easy to read and quite descriptive.
Ashti
Bebe Moore Campbell (God rest her soul to the mother who produced the Gorgeous Maia Campbell "Tiffany" from the t.v. show "In the House" with that damn Fine ass L.L. Cool J), the bestselling author of this novel takes you into the lives of two unforgettable women: Maxine, who thinks she has it all, and her grandmother Lindy, a once-brilliant singer who's about to give Maxine a lesson in faith, commitment and comebacks...

Linda
Maxine McCoy is a successful TV producer in Los Angeles, married and expecting her first child when she hears that she must return to Philadelphia to care for her seventy-year-old grandmother. Maxine was raised by her grandmother, Lindy, a singing star, and Maxine wants to hear her sing again. “This is a moving story of hope and redemption, of the faith and commitment that can make any comeback possible.”
Ann Marie
Beth
This book kind of surprised me. At first I didn't like it so much but after I got into it I was hooked. I found myself sitting in the parking lot of my apartment complex with the car off just listening to the story. ha ha. The story was really touching and I had a few tears in my eyes during the last chapter.
Stanjay Daniels
This was my first time reading a book from this author, BeBe Moore Campbell, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book! 5 stars! It was a feel good book, filled with life, love, music and God! I was left feeling inspired and wanting a sequel!
Monica
I'm a fan. I think Campbell knows the workings of a solid novel with believable characters, setting, and relatabke story.
Lynn
An entirely predictable book--poorly written and just a waste of my time. Had to read for my book club.
Almie
Attended writing a workshop she taught a year or so before she died. She was really informative.
Denise
The characters in this novel were very realistic and true to form. Great reading material!
Nancy
A quick, light read, sweet story of a close grandmother and granddaughter finding themselves.
Twumwaa
Nov 17, 2008 Twumwaa added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Twumwaa by: Rashida
I enjoyed reading this book though it's not my favorite from Bebe Moore Campbell.
Lethea
This book was light-hearted and witty. I enjoyed reading from the beginning to the end.
Misskittykilpatrick
I am not sure why I read this book. I am not a fan of Bebe Moore Campbell.
Kelly
Very predictable but cute. The characters are well developed.
Phifer, Barbara
Ms. Bebe Moore Campbell is chilling(GOOD)
Emily
wm copes w/ work, cheating husb & aging gma
Ronetta Walker
Easy read and very predictable.
Mills College Library
Fiction C1873s 1998
Sherry
basic but nice perspectives.
Leslie
Excellent read!
  • Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do
  • Good Hair
  • The Hand I Fan With
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • Scenes from a Sistah
  • Tempest Rising
  • I Wish I Had a Red Dress (Idlewild #2)
  • Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • I Know I've Been Changed
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)
  • Lil Mama's Rules
Bebe Moore Campbell (February 18, 1950 – November 27, 2006), was the author of three New York Times bestsellers, Brothers and Sisters, Singing in the Comeback Choir, and What You Owe Me, which was also a Los Angeles Times "Best Book of 2001". Her other works include the novel Your Blues Ain't Like Mine, which was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year and the winner of the NAACP Image Award for ...more
More about Bebe Moore Campbell...
Your Blues Ain't Like Mine Brothers and Sisters What You Owe Me 72 Hour Hold Sweet Summer: Growing up with and without My Dad

“Forgiveness is the key to the recovery of the soul.” 2 likes