Start by marking “Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series, #1)

Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  42 reviews
After her own engagement goes to hell, workaholic Jessica Talbot dreads her friend’s bachelorette party at a dude ranch in Nowheresville, Texas. But the outlook for the weekend brightens when Deacon Dumen picks her up at the airport. The sexy cowboy awakens every dormant sexual fantasy with nothing more than a friendly smile and a handshake.

Ex-Air Force Pararescueman Deke
Published (first published August 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deacon's Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deacon's Touch

Cowgirl Up and Ride by Lorelei JamesLong Hard Ride by Lorelei JamesTied Up, Tied Down by Lorelei JamesRough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei JamesAll Jacked Up by Lorelei James
SAVE A HORSE RIDE A COWBOY
257th out of 552 books — 593 voters
Cheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoLover Eternal by J.R. WardThoughtless by S.C. StephensUndeniable by Madeline SheehanNamed and Shamed by C.P. Mandara
YOUR CHEATING HEART
181st out of 202 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
"Let this be my last word, that I trust in your love."
- by Rabindranath Tagore -

Deacon is an ex Pararescue Jumper. He's a highly trained Special Ops medic. And he was working with the SEALs and Army and Delta guys on various missions. They go in to rescue friendly air crew shot down behind enemy lines. During a HALO jump he got injured. Deacon had to have surgery and was forced to retire. Therefore, he's returned to help his brothers on the family ranch.

The heroine, Jessica, is a stock broker, a
Karla
3.5 stars Hot, steamy short. While it certainly did not lack in the passion department, I felt that the author could have added more depth to the storyline. I wish we had gotten to know Deke and Jessica a little bit better. We got plenty of what they felt, but not who they really were. Still an enjoyable way to pass a few hours and it did have a sweet HEA!
KatLynne
.."You keep eating me up with those eyes and I'll forget my manners."...

A Hot, sexy read for sure! Very well written and I found myself wanting more of Deke's background. He's mouth watering sexy, an ex Special Ops Pararescue Jumper and the kind of hero I enjoy reading.
Wendy
What a hot, sexy read! Deke an ex military special ops man, certainly knows how to treat a woman in the bedroom. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, It's a definite toe curler ;)
~J~ Riverina Romantics
Read all about it – Kaylea Cross has turned to the dark side!!!

I have only read one other book by Callie Croix (aka Kaylea Cross) and it was a majorly intense romantic suspense that gave me heart palpitations – it was fantastic. So when this extremely talented author stepped over the line from romantic suspense to delve into the naughty waters of erotic romance, I KNEW I needed to get my hands on it.

Deacon’s Touch is a sinfully sexy short story that started out all tummy tingling with its roman
Jill
This is not my usual reading genre. But I love Kaylea Cross's books and especially her recent title Deadly Descent. I will say Deacon's Touch was well-written and for an erotic romance novella there are good characterisations and surprise, surprise a story. I also loved that the hero was a former Pararescueman. I was keen to read another PJ hero similar to Cam in Deadly Descent.

So that's my walk on the wild side for another month or two. Although there are other brothers that will have their st
Rva Booklover
This is so much more than your typical erotica novella. Deacon and Jessica meet when Jessica attends a bridal weekend at Deacon's family's dude ranch. Sparks fly between them from the start. Given the natural parameter limits of the novella, there is good character development. I liked both Deke and Jessica, and liked them even better together. Both had trust and commitment issues, but their attraction for each other was very believable.

What I liked most about the story was the obvious affectio
Judi
Great little sexy and steamy short story from the alter ego of Kaylea Cross. I recently discovered Ms. Cross and have read 2 of her military romantic suspense titles and really enjoyed them, so when I discovered she had an erotic alter ego I knew I had to give Deacon's Touch a try.

I really enjoyed Deacon's Touch and look forward to getting caught up on Kaylea Cross's backlist and any new titles under all her author names.
Nikki
4 stars.

Hot hot hot but way too short. It had the perfect shades of Kaylea Cross' awesome writing with the welcome addition of spicy erotica. I really felt it would have made more sense being a full length novel as there were parts of the plot that didn't have the time to develop; but it was a great read either way.

Perfect as a palate cleanser or for someone wanting a sweet and sexy quick read.
Gigi
Feb 12, 2013 Gigi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: hetero
Yee ha cowboy! This was fucking HOT! If you can stand the girlie bits, Deke is the mouth watering Alpha Male Ex-Military Cowboy of your dreams. Smoking hot sex. This is the first in a series of the Dume brothers, who own a dude ranch in Texas. I ALL OVER the remaining three books in the series.
Carisa
My first story by this author, a steamy novella, very well written, especially the love scenes :) Will read more from her.
SCENES/CONTENT: few/erotic
GENRE/TONE: contemporary/drama
LENGTH: 102 pages
Capri
Callie Croix has a gift for writing short novels. Not many authors can do this. There is always something missing or it needs to be longer. Not in Deacon’s Touch, it is perfect and a keeper for me.

Deacon (AKA as Deke) is a sexy hero you want to bring home to meet the parents. He is a gentleman and sweet. He thinks of himself as a Dom and even though he likes to have control in the bedroom, it is light and not kinky. He does know how to talk dirty, but he also knows how to treat a woman in and ou
Ni_kii
Jessica has dropped everything to be part of the bachelorette party at the dude ranch. Not looking forward to leaving her world behind, she comes armed with mobile phone and laptop, ready to continue her work in-between the revelry. When a hunky cowboy turns up as her ride from the airport to the ranch, she can’t quite believe her luck. Immediately, attraction flares between the two of them and soon the car journey is starting to get them both a little hot under the collar. But Jess is off limit ...more
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
First book in a series about brothers who run a dude ranch.. Deacon Dumen is at the ranch recovering from an injury he received while an Air Force Pararescueman.. Jessica Talbot flies in from Seattle for her friends bachelorette party the ranch. Deacon describes himself perfectly in the book
He might not be fully into the BDSM scene and want submission outside of the sexual relationship like some Doms did but he had a dominant streak a mile wide and it defiantly translated into the bedroom
. This
Carin
I absolutely love Kaylea Cross and when I found out she had an alternate ego, I had to give Callie Croix's book a try. It was my first foray into erotic romance and boy did she hook me! I cannot wait for her next book... and the waiting can certainly be painful... but I know Callie will deliver! :)
Teresa
I liked this very much, it's sexy and interesting and pretty hot all over, with a gorgeous hero and a very nice heroine. I shelved it BDSM, but it's VERY soft, just some minor domination involved, nothing to be squeamish about. And: there's a nice HEA! Absolute recommendation!
Joletta
This is a short read, under 100 pages. Not a lot of time for world building and backgrounds but PLENTY of heat. I'd like to see Deke and Jess again but it looks like the series continues with the other (HAWT) brothers.
Joy
This book was hotter than hell. A 4 alarm fire at my house. cought my panty hose on fire. lol
Pam
Short little cowboy naughtie..predictable, but fun.
Niina
Mar 28, 2012 Niina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cowboy lovers, and friends of little light bondage
Jessica really doesn't want to be at her friend's fiancée’s bachelorette party, she's swamped with work ( just like she likes it ) and squeezing this in last minute is giving her a headache. She misses her plane and has to be picked up late by one of the Dumen boys, one of the seriously hot brothers who run Ranch where the bachelorette weekend is taking place.

Deacon, an Ex-Air Force Pararescueman, has a hard time keeping up his walls around Jessica, the girl's reserved and bit snappish, but when
Guilty Pleasures
Guilty Pleasures

I thoroughly enjoyed my first look at Dumen Ranch. I accidentally read Dillon’s Claim first... and I was all out of sorts, because my good buddy Rhayne reviewed it, and I kept thinking this seems familiar but not. Well, I am glad I went back and read book 1! I love how this is series is written from each couple's perspective of the same weekend. Conquering that sequence of events from all angles is fascinating to me!

Jessica is a regular workaholic that gets guilted into a trip to
Kylie Griffin
Aug 26, 2011 Kylie Griffin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kylie by: won it over at Writers Gone Wild blog
This novella was a quick but compelling read, and HOT! Loved it.

Deke's a retired pararescue jumper with medic training. Injured in the line of duty he's returned to help his brothers on the family ranch. Jessica is a stock broker and she's come to the ranch to celebrate a friend's bachelorette party.

Without giving away too many spoilers, Deke is asked to meet and pick up Jessica at the airport and their relationship starts there. Neither are looking for a relationship, both have pasts that inter
Romancing the Book
Reviewed By: Aubrey
Review Copy Provided By: Publisher

As a reader one of my favorite theses is that of strong alpha cowboys. Callie Croix nailed the ultimate bad boy cowboy with her hero Deke Dumen. As a forced into retirement pararescueman Deke is everything I love about cowboys: quiet, strong, intelligent and hot. Jessica is a strong independent woman who loves her job which leaves her no room for a man. Neither one is looking for a partner or for love which makes their connection that much sw
Judith
Deacon is hurting -- a lot! But then again, Jessica is hurting, too. Both have encountered some overwhelming difficulties in their personal and professional lives, and now will meet each other as Jessica comes to a bachelorette gathering under duress. Deacon, along with his brothers, are doing everything needed to make the gathering fun for the women involved. The last thing he expected was to find a woman who "lit his fire" and whose unique personality and sexiness challenged him to look beyond ...more
Heather in FL
I liked the build up between Deacon and Jessica. It was a little bit hot when they finally got together. Well, OK, I guess a lot hot. A couple of things that seemed completely out of place, though, confused me. I didn't quite get what the deal was with the BMW that passed their truck and Jessica didn't like the look the guy gave her. First it was dark, how did she see him? Second, there was no real resolution to that whole scene. Then, there was Deke's five-hour absence when he went with his bro ...more
Kathy L
Loved this story by Callie Croix. As a control freak myself, I loved how Jess was finally able to let go. Deacon is one hot cowboy with a side of kink to him, Yum! Jessie has to attend a bachelorette party for the weekend but desperately trying to avoid it. She is pickup by one of the sexy owners, Deacon, at the airport. She tries to control her situation but her life starts to unravel and she finally loses all control while with Deacon - no need for the safe word! The chemistry between Deacon a ...more
Christina
loved the story wish it was alittle longer. hot steamy sex and HEA is always a good read.
Anna
Nice, easy on the heart, tame on the BDSM aspects, romance. Enjoyable enough but not sure I'll be reading more though.
Lyndac
I really enjoyed what there was of this book. Again, I almost felt as if I came in at the middle of a series. (Maybe I did, but I thought this was the first book.) I would've liked more background on the brothers and just when I thought an element of suspense was going to be added, it just stopped with no conclusion to the car accident. When Deke & Jessica got together the scenes were really hot, emotional and believable. As with all good stories, I just wanted more.
  • Versed in Desire
  • Slapping Leather (Rawhide, #2)
  • Impact (Buckin' Bull Riders, #1)
  • Twisted Up
  • A Knight in Cowboy Boots (McKnight, #1)
  • Ty's Temptation (Bad in Boots, #2)
  • Western Ties (Compass Brothers #4)
  • Tempting Tori (Courage Brothers of Texas, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Haven (Six Pack Ranch, #2)
  • Love Slave to the Sicilian Billionaire (Guilty Pleasures, # 4)
  • Forever Yours
  • Breaking Brent (Roped, #2)
Let Me In Covert Seduction Touch Me No Holds Barred Dillon's Claim (Dume Ranch Series, #3)

“She whimpered into his mouth and clung to his broad shoulders, rubbing her breasts against him to relieve the ache in her suddenly hypersensitive nipples. In answer, he took her deeper and rested more of his weight against her, that thick thigh between her legs getting her wet and ready for him. Oh God, he knew how to kiss. Knew how to tease, to seduce with his tongue until she was ready to rip his clothes off and climb his body.

"You feel good, sugar,” he murmured against her mouth.”
1 likes