Start by marking “Angel on My Shoulder: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Angel on My Shoulder: An Autobiography

Angel on My Shoulder: An Autobiography

Born to legendary Nat King Cole in the halcyon days of the 1950s, Natalie Cole grew up to become a versatile singer with Grammy Award status. But that success came with a price, where she was dragged down by depression and drugs. This is her story.
Published November 14th 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Angel on My Shoulder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel on My Shoulder

Kevin
Aug 28, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
"I'm amazed at how many times I have brought myself to the brink of death in my lifetime," Cole writes about her prolonged drug use. "God was working overtime to save my butt, and I marvel that He never gave up on me,"

From the first paragraph of this lively page-turner, Cole (and co-author Digby Diehl) set the book's tone for honesty, drama and humor. Trapped in the Las Vegas Hilton fire that killed eight in 1984, she reaches for her cocaine and freebasing tools, determined not to die straight.
Joyia
Jan 05, 2009 Joyia added it
didn't know her life was so complicated and what a shame that she had all the tools of everything being at her beckon call. too bad and she is still paying for it but it was a good read--kinda like you sitting in a kitchen and drinking an glass of wine and interviewing her. She seems down to earth.
Mark Henninger
Dec 13, 2016 Mark Henninger rated it it was amazing
The last paragraph: "Oh, and another thing. As you walk your own journey, keep your eyes open, listen well, and if you look real hard, you might find an angel on your shoulder, too. I sure hope so."

In Psalms, David lusted after Bathsheba, etc., and yet is known as a man after God's own heart. Natalie shares of her huge success which supported her drug habit plus. Following in Nat "King" Cole's shadow, her father, she tells of being rehabilitated from drugs as well as going through other problems
Deborah J.
Jan 04, 2016 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing
It was better than I thought it would be, though Natalie Cole's autobiography turned out to be a lot more complex than I imagined. I can see how Shewas compelled to write this book, not only so that her fans would get to know her better, but because there were so many things going on throughout her life that it actually made for a very good book.

Angel on My Shoulder covers Natalie's journey of coming into her own, out from the shadow of her father, Nat King Cole, takes the reader through her f
Dawn
Jan 28, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it
This autobiography was pretty good. She had a very interesting life. A lot of the details were a little it of a surpise, drug use, divorce, and abuse, etc. Overall, the book was very fun to read.
Zach Bolen
May 17, 2015 Zach Bolen rated it it was amazing
Well done. Surprised how well the writing was done. Surprised by how much she went through in her life. Loved the in depth details about the music making industry.
Gail
Jan 24, 2016 Gail rated it liked it
This was a re-read, because we lost another singer that had a very beautiful voice. I pull out all of her CD that I had to listen to while I read her books! She will be missed by many of her fans.
Bob
Jan 04, 2016 Bob rated it it was amazing
I was struck by the level of honestly contained throughout this memoir. Unlike most 'star autobiographies/memoirs,' this was one in which Ms. Cole did not hold back.
Tynece
Jan 07, 2015 Tynece rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! It really took you into the life of Natalie Cole. I would recommend this book.
Denise Cote
Aug 15, 2012 Denise Cote rated it really liked it
Natalie Cole has been to hell and back twice. It was interesting to read about her time at UMass Amherst (my alma mater) and in Springfield, where she got hooked on heroin.
Simone'
Simone' rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Violet
Violet rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Carey Jackson
Carey Jackson rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
A W RICHARDSON
A W RICHARDSON rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2017
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Adrienne Dickerson
Adrienne Dickerson rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Roro
Feb 12, 2013 Roro rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
Phyllis Johnson
Phyllis Johnson rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
May 08, 2008
Kimberley
Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Angelynn Cozadd
Angelynn Cozadd rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Kole Camp
Kole Camp rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2010
Sandra
Aug 31, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it
An interesting read. Kudos for her overcoming addictions.
Marg Johnson
Marg Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Janet Marie
Janet Marie rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Daria
Daria rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Joshua Stapel
Joshua Stapel rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Ginny
Ginny rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Phoenix K.
Phoenix K. rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Legs Are the Last to Go: Aging, Acting, Marrying, and Other Things I Learned the Hard Way
  • Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way
  • Let's Talk About Pep
  • Interiors: A Black Woman's Healing...in Progress
  • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
  • Keep The Faith
  • Foxy: My Life in Three Acts
  • Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond
  • Friends: A Love Story
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story
  • Refined by Fire
  • The Women Who Raised Me: A Memoir
  • The Confessions of Rick James: "Memoirs of a Super Freak"
  • Vintage Black Glamour
  • The Black Rose
  • What I Know for Sure: My Story of Growing Up in America
  • Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White
Natalie Maria Cole was an American singer, songwriter, and performer. The daughter of Nat King Cole, Natalie rose to musical success in the mid-1970s. In 1987 she had success with her album Everlasting, and her cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Pink Cadillac". In the 1990s, she re-recorded standards by her father, resulting in her biggest success, Unforgettable... with Love, which sold over seven mi ...more
More about Natalie Cole...