Start by marking “Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #3)

Trick or Treat Murder (Lucy Stone #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,688 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
Haunted-house parties and ghostly galas…grinning pumpkins, mayhem and murder. It’s going to be one heck of a Halloween for Lucy Stone and Tinker’s Cove…

It’s October in Maine, and everyone in Tinker’s Cove is preparing for the annual Halloween festival. While Lucy Stone is whipping up orange-frosted cupcakes, recycling tutus for her daughters’ Halloween costumes, helping he
Published September 1st 2008 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Trick or Treat Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick or Treat Murder

Mandy Crider
Eh. It was ok. Wanted more of a mystery. I felt like it started strong and then fell apart in the end.
Ali
Mar 06, 2013 Ali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I can't even really speak to the story, which became obvious near the end, because I was so frustrated with the author that I could barely concentrate on it. Clearly the author is a LLL psycho who only wrote in the new baby to have the opportunity to preach about breast feeding every other paragraph. It distracted from the story, and I was really put off by the constant talk of tingly boobs, milk being let down, and lifting up one's shirt to give a snack. Enough already. We get it. You're an ...more
Jonathan
I always try to give a series two (and sometimes three) bad books in a row before I quit it, because even though one book may be a dud, it doesn't mean the entire series is. After receiving the 22nd book from Kensington and Netgalley as an ARC, and reading the 1st and 2nd books and having neither of them pop out at me, I was wary of this book, but I decided to plunge ahead and read it. I can say that I am pleased that I did!

I really like Lucy, and perhaps that's why I read this one so soon after
Amy
Oct 04, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.. Only strange thing was that I read the Back to School first because it seemed like more logical order so when I read this one, I wondered why the baby was a newborn.

The mystery was very well plotted. I won't be a spoiler--you'll just have to read it for yourself! Taking a short break to read some more recent releases but already have the Thanksgiving book borrowed from the library.. Highly recommend this series to all cozy readers..
VJ
I believe this is my last Lucy Stone mystery. I just don't like the characters! Lucy is nosy, stupid, immature, has no self esteem and "no" doesn't seem to be in her vocabulary. Her husband is manic depressive and borders on abusive when in the depressive state. Her kids are sullen and whiney. The "mystery" is never really the focus of these books.

The writing style reminds me of young adult books but the subject matter is very grown up. With hundreds of other books available, I just can't see w
Teddi
Aug 13, 2012 Teddi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick read and the first book in the series that i've read. I usually like small town quirky series but this one was quite repetitive, especially regarding the main character and her baby. I thought if she wrote about her breastfeeding one more time, i'd scream! Not much of a mystery either in that our amateur sleuth didnt do much detecting and she did do that nosy woman bit that annoys me.
Will try the next one i've got and see if it gets any better.
Toni
Oct 19, 2011 Toni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was okay. I took away one star because I did not care to read about her breastfeeding multiple times throughout the book. I am all for breastfeeding but do not want to read about it or visualize someone else doing it while trying to read a mystery book. This is my first book by this author. I do plan to go back and read the first one and hopefully it will be better.
Julie Barrett
Feb 05, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trick or Treat Murder by Leslie Meier
Have read some of the author's other works so I'm familiar with the town and it's cast of characters.
This one starts out with Lucy and her friend Sue are going to have a Halloween party in the empty mansion for the kids.
There's been fires in the town that is starting to cause some to question what's going on...
Story also follows the fire investigation and the newspaper reporter who writes about it.
Also a wife who found her husband in bed with her yoga teacher
Jo Anne
Jun 07, 2014 Jo Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay murder mystery; not really worth writing a review, but I had to warn people--BEWARE if you don't like babies or breastfeeding women. I don't like either and I had to squirm through several passages where the author describes the main character nursing her baby. I don't want to read about nipples spraying milk, or milk dropping down or babies...period.

There is one part, near the end of the book, where I have to call BS. The main character is in the hospital. She is NURSING, as w
Becky
Sep 15, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, but not a good book. I know that statment is at odds with itself, but here me out. The supposed amateur detective Lucy Stone did not do very much detecting. The only reason she discovered the culprit was because he tried to kill her... twice! But I found the atempted murder odd because she really had no clue what was going on...none!

People really like this series, so I might try another one. I liked the setting, atmosphere and characters enough to give the series one more attempt.
Vicki Krivak
Sep 29, 2011 Vicki Krivak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted a Halloween themed mystery and this book was great. I really enjoyed it. It was interesting and
unpredictable. Lucy Stone was extremely likeable. I will definately read the other Lucy Stone mysteries.
A well written mystery with great characters and setting. I would definately recommend.
Carole Anderson
Jul 17, 2013 Carole Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute, quick read. I enjoyed this. I thought I knew "who done it" part way through the book, but then quickly dismissed that person - lo and behold it was the right person! That's good writing as far as I'm concerned. Some predictability, but that's okay, just a fun read.
Apr 11, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been sidetracked from my to-be read pile with the Lucy Stone murders. Quick and easy reads centered around a holiday or significant event during the year, Lucy is a very likeable character in an awesome Maine setting.

This time, someone is setting fire to several historic homes / buildings in Tinker's Cove. Lucy is sad to see such beautiful old buildings ruined and gone forever and starts to investigate the case on her own in between joining the gym and caring for her new baby, Zoe. Hallo
David Caldwell
Halloween is coming to Tinker's Cove, Maine. Lucy Stone is running around trying to get her family ready for the holiday. But when an arsonist starts burning old houses in town, Lucy can't help but get involved in the investigation.

Lucy is always a fairly dependable read. I enjoy the holiday themed stories. The stories are easy and fast reads. The characters are quirky but still believable for the most part.

There are two small problems for me. The first is that Lucy really needs to take a time m
Jessica Bronder
Apr 09, 2012 Jessica Bronder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy is busy with the new baby, her three other kids, and her husband. But when she learns that a client and good friend’s body has been discovered in the burned remains of her pet project house, Lucy is devastated. But this is not the only fire that has been started. Several historical buildings have been burned down.

Then Lucy’s husband, Bill, a historic carpenter, is asked to join the local historic committee by former librarian Miss Tilley. Miss Tilley has had an iron control on the committe
Lisa Morin
This book is one I have read several times. I love to go back and read the early books in this series, I can't believe Zoe is only 6 weeks old in this book.
Halloween is in full swing in the charming town of Tinker's Cove, Maine. Lucy is working hard to get back to normal after having baby Zoe.
Life takes a turn when a friend is dead, the victim of a nasty fire. Rumors are running and suspicion is on her husband, who doesn't seem to be grieving very much. Lucy is concerned, after all, they have
Luffy
Mar 13, 2016 Luffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, cozy-mystery
Wonderful book. My tentative faith in this series lives on. This is the story of Lucy Stone loosely investigating a series of arson crimes. In the process we get to observe her daily routines. Her husband Bill gets some of the spotlight too. It's a fascinating read as this is the type of coverage I won't get in any TV show or movie or website or comic book. The 5 star rating was clinched when Lucy had to survive being burnt, twice. No, on second thoughts I was pretty sure it would get that perf ...more
Candace
I finished this one last week and I've already forgotten who was killed by whom and why. No, wait ... it's coming back to me ... there was serial arson involved... Postcard of a little town in ... Maine, I think. The sleuth is a wife and mommy, and so in that way it was kind of fun, as she wove her detecting and dangerous exploits in and around her family, but I *do* recall thinking that if all the detailed scenes of wrapping and unwrapping the new baby (Zoe -- I remember the baby's name better ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
I have been reading the Lucy Stone series on occasion and completely out of order. I am having a good time reading them and enjoy the "holiday" themes that they are based on. I'm finding that reading them out of order doesn't seem to make a huge difference, but continuity of some story elements makes more sense in order (like the children growing up). Each book can be read as a stand alone.

In this book, Lucy has just had her baby, Zoe, and is busy with motherhood for the 4th time. She and her fr
Talia
This book was okay. I like series that take place in small towns, but nothing jumped out to really make me want to keep reading more books in this series. Lucy Stone is okay as a main character, but it was kind of annoying that the author kept focusing on her breastfeeding. Weird, but maybe I just can't relate because I'm not a mom. (view spoiler) ...more
Ashley
Oct 11, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You breastfeed- we get it.
The message in this book is clear: all women are meddlesome stay-at-home moms who should mind their own business because they're not intelligent enough to fully form a thought, let alone solve a crime! Ladies, you are only as good as your milk.
Furthermore, the husband is always right (figuring out the case long before you will), and will always jump in to save the day.
Boo.
Angela Raedel
Feb 09, 2016 Angela Raedel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Excellent installment! I loved it. Bill was much more tolerable than in "Tippy Toe Murder".

This book was different because it didn't dwell on one person's murder as much as the fires that were taking place in Tinker's Cove.

The kids were a joy to read about, as always. Looking forward to the next book...
Tina
Sep 30, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. It's been a while but if memory serves me, it has much Halloween spirit with a fairly decent mystery attached. Use to love Ms. Meier's books until lately she's gotten too political and social issue leaning in her cozies. I get enough of that from other sources and look to my mysteries to escape not run into more.
Sharon
Nov 04, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Nothing says home like a Leslie Meier cozy. I started reading these books late in the series and it was nice to read this earlier book when the children were smaller. This is a very homey and comforting series and I plan to start at the beginning and read each book in order.
Julie
Sep 25, 2007 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute little paperback mystery. I needed mindless and that is what I got.
Alyssa White
Aug 24, 2015 Alyssa White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was a good read, I would recommend the series to anyone.
Andrea
Oct 30, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Love, love Lucy and her family! And this Halloween mystery was great.
Christy Parker
I was disappointed by this book. First, Lucy and Bill's marriage has become more and more unpleasant in each book of the series. That's OK, if part of your storyline is the main character's troubled marriage, but the author treats this marriage as a healthy, loving one, when it is clearly not healthy, they could use abbot of help.

Second, I am pro-breastfeeding, but I felt that the book was a bit heavy on it. There's hardly a page in the book where Lucy isn't breastfeeding, thinking about breastf
Aaron
Dec 29, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leslie Meier's third installment in this mystery series centering on Lucy Stone, an everyday resident of Tinker's Cove, Maine, proves to be the most fun of the earliest books in the series. She is still settling into adding a fourth child into her family with the birth of her third daughter as the small town is getting ready for all the fun of Halloween.

This is made all the more spooky as a series of fires have hit historic buildings in town. It has become clear that there is an arsonist, and t
Peter Barr
One of the series of mysteries where the main character, Lucy Stone, a mother of four in a small town in Maine, gets involved in another murder. In this, there are also a series of arsons and a series of small town events. It's a pretty good novel, although not my favorite. The characters are likeable and it moves along well.
  • Halloween Murder (Lindy Haggerty, #4)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
  • Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)
  • Red-Hot and Royal
  • Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)
  • All Hallows' Evil (Susan Henshaw, #4)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Killing Bridezilla (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #7)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)