Start by marking “The Healer” as Want to Read:
The Healer

The Healer

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
More than anything in the world, Ivy Merchuk longs to be just another face in the crowd-easier said than done for a woman born with the ability to heal grievous injuries with the touch of her hands. To a young girl just struggling to fit in, this gift is an unbearable burden, one that fills her with shame and anxiety. Her mother understands and cautions the young girl to k ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Healer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healer

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I was intrigued by the premise of The Healer when it was pitched to me, having the ability to heal injuries no matter how severe seems like an wonderful power but author Sabrina Furminger explores how such a gift can also be a curse.

We are introduced to the novels protagonist at the moment when the stillborn Ivy Merchuk, spontaneously takes first one breath and then another. At five, as Ivy cradles her beloved puppy who has been badly injured by a car, a light pours forth from her small body an
Karina
Feb 24, 2012 Karina rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was an overall good read. It had more character development with the main character Ivy Merchuk than any other character. She went from having very little to live for and in fear of herself to becoming a confident happy woman who no longer hated herself. Her growth was very obvious while her love interest Victor Morgan was not. His only obvious growth was in the beginning when he met Ivy. Piper was a way more interesting character to see progress, and he did. Although this was not a love tr ...more
Weston Kincade
Feb 03, 2014 Weston Kincade rated it really liked it
Quite a while back, I won a copy of The Healer. However, it wasn't until now that I got the time to read it. At first I was skeptical about the modern take on samurai and urban science fiction (and a little curious how the author brought the two elements together) but overall Sabrina Furminger deals with this very well. It was an entertaining read and would be worth buying for fans of this genre.

My only complaint was the believability of relationships and how quickly things progressed. It seeme
Teresa D.
Feb 17, 2012 Teresa D. rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from the goodreads giveaway.

The Healer has a really unique storyline. It is a little different than my usual reads, but still enjoyed it very much. You can tell the author put a lot of time and effort into the story. The characters were well developed and really interesting.

I really enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters. There was so much emotion and suspense that I read it cover to cover in one sitting.
Katerina
Apr 06, 2012 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Less of a trad love story and more of coming of age story with romance on the side. Lots of twists and turns. I read it in a few hours. Bonus: it's set in Vancouver, one of my favourite cities!
Laurie
For Ivy being different is a curse. Alone and lonely, Ivy longs to be free of her freakish gift. As a research librarian, she is able to avoid most human contact, the better to safeguard her secret.

Victor is nearly beaten to death by some irate business associates. Lucky for him, Ivy happens upon the scene and is able to rescue him before succumbing to the darkness; asleep in a coma-like state. Victor, on the other hand, is rejuvenated and energized by the experience.

Ivy awakens to find that Vic
Heather Button
Jan 09, 2012 Heather Button rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I began Sabrina's book The Healer before I started NaNoWriMo in November. I had to put it aside while I spent my free time trying to write my own 50,000 word novel, leaving me too exhausted pumping out words to do anything else. I promptly picked it up at the end of the month, finishing it in one day. The Healer is a book with characters so memorable, that even though I stopped reading it for a month, diving into my own characters, I knew exactly who they were when I returned, without having to ...more
Tina Marie
Nov 07, 2015 Tina Marie rated it it was amazing
Sabrina Furminger has a real gift at writing emotion & wisdom in every page of this book.. The Healer has it all, story arches you get soo involved in, you just want to keep reading. The 2 main characters you fall in love with and get incredibly in vested in, with a twist in the middle of the story, that floors you a bit. Perfect book for a day at the beach or sitting by the pool. You'll want to re-read it over again.. Totally would recommend this book to my friends and family..
Rochelle
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Marie-Josee Larouche
Marie-Josee Larouche marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Pretty Little Liar
Pretty Little Liar marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2012
Teresa Bergholz
Teresa Bergholz marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2012
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Brittany LeMoine
Brittany LeMoine marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Criss
Criss marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2012
Kim Justice
Kim Justice marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Mo_mcphee
Mo_mcphee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
Emily Walz
Emily Walz marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Laura Simpson
Laura Simpson marked it as to-read
May 28, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2012
Mammatess
Mammatess marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2012
Sabrina Furminger
Apr 07, 2012 Sabrina Furminger rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2012
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2012
Kristianne
Kristianne marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2012
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Altered
  • Remembering Tomorrow
  • The Dark Age (Survivors of the Pulse, #2)
  • Never After
  • Love of Chocolate
  • Shepherd's Moon (The Shepherds, #1)
  • Vestige
  • Josephine Lost
  • Barely Human
  • Spirited: 13 Haunting Tales
  • Return of the Legacy (The Portals of Destiny, #1)
  • Maelstrom (Texas Fae #1)
  • Amethyst Eyes
  • Forsaken Protector (Protectors, #2)
  • Diary of a Narcissistic Bloodsucker
  • 21 Erased
  • Into The Unknown (Holloway Pack #1.5, Mimics of Rune #1.5, Lila Gray #1.5)
  • Rot
Sabrina Furminger is an award-winning journalist and author based in Vancouver, Canada. Her speculative fiction has appeared in Ricepaper Magazine, OCW Magazine, Luna Station Quarterly, and in EDGE Publishing's Danse Macabre anthology. Sabrina published her first novel (a paranormal romance entitled The Healer) in 2011. She writes a weekly film and television industry column for a weekly newspaper ...more
More about Sabrina Furminger...