Start by marking “Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2)

Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  2,691 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Only Owen Deathstalker outlawed, with a price on his head and a mighty warrior lineage in his veins had the courage to take up sword and energy gun against Queen Lionstone XIV. Now as he gathers his unlikely forcethe legendary washed-up hero Jack Random, the beautiful pirate Hazel dArc, the original Deathstalker long since presumed dead, and the alien Hadenmen the eyes of ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Deathstalker Rebellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathstalker Rebellion

Ross
This series of books is sort of like scifi crack - it's not really any good for you, but you can't stop reading it once you've had a taste. I rather enjoy the plotting and the grand-scale space-opera arcs of the Deathstalker universe, but the writing itself is just so-so, and the omniscient narration bugs me (especially when it inconsistently bounces from omniscient to semi-omniscient depending on how many characters are in the scene). In spite of that though, the characters are interesting (if ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
شاید نام استاکر به گوشتان آشنا باشد. شاید با شنیدن نام استاکر کمی هم هول برتان دارد و نگاهی به دوربرتان بیندازید تا مبادا سایه ای و شبحی شما را غافلگیر کند. چند دهه پیش دو نویسنده در روسیه، رمانی علمی – تخیلی نوشتند و کلمه استاکر وارد ادبیات جهان شد. پس از آن فیلمی نیز به همین نام ساخته شد. و اکنون «دث استاکر» برای خودش نام و آوازه ای به هم زده است. با همان رازآلودگی موجودات فضایی و دنیای عجیب و غریبشان
Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2), Simon R. Green
عنوان: دث استاکر کتاب 2 - شورش؛ نویس
Eric Allen
May 12, 2014 Eric Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I've been asked by my publisher not to continue with my Deathstalker Retrospective, which is why I haven't posted the next review in it for a few months now. One of my editors hates Simon R. Green with a passion, and refuses to work on anything that paints his work in a positive light, sooooo, oh well. I, the lowly writer, must bend to the whims of the all powerful editor and find something else to review.

Here's a really barebones review of this book if anyone cares. Maybe I'll ge
Ladiibbug
Jul 31, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 Deathstalker Sci Fi series

Re: Confusing series order

Author's note on title page:

"Deathstalker Rebellion

Being the Second Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker"

Looks like "Deathstalker Legacy" series follows the "Deathstalker" series (??)

Simon R. Green's urban fantasy series "The Nightside" is #2 on my all time fav PUF books (following J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood). (Those books are quite short compared to the 500 pages in this sci fi series.)

Green's "space opera" is a 500 pag
Mary JL
Aug 16, 2009 Mary JL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of adverturous sf or space opera
Recommended to Mary JL by: No one--following series
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Having recently finished Deathstalker, I immediately went on to book #2, Death stalker Rebellion.

It was ok; but not as good as book one. It introduced one really interesting character--Half a Man---and much of the rest was routine.

Still, a competent job of space opera and derring-do, with lots to offer fans of science fiction adventure fans. You do need to read the series in order, or book 2 will not make a lot of sense to you.
Becca
Aug 06, 2013 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, what can I say? I thought it was amazing. To be honest, this book is one of those that you think "Man, I'm not getting anywhere!" because it's so long, and then you get lost in it, and eventually look up and see how much you have read. There is literally always action, always something happening. This book has the same flaws as the first in the series, and the rest - overly-repeated phrases, small mistakes in things such as naming, all of that... but as I've said before in my review of the ...more
Carol Conrad
Jan 07, 2017 Carol Conrad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Simon R. Green but was a little hesitant to start this series as "Space Opera" didn't sound like my "Cup of Tea". Pleasantly surprised though, as usual Simon R. Green is a great story teller!
Elijah Kinch Spector
This is a weird one. The cover refers to "One Man" who would "fire the guns of rebellion!" and yet this one man, our ostensible hero, Owen Deathstalker is, I think, in about two chapters of the book. That isn't exactly a complaint, but the novel feels a little uneven because of it. What's more, it's really less a novel and more a chapter itself in a long story, moreso even than most series books I've read.

Also, in this book: everyone starts going Super Saiyan.

I.e. They all start getting way too
Jer
Jun 24, 2013 Jer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Utter dreck. In many ways, even worse than the first in the series. Like the first one, repetitive ad nauseum. One dimensional characters who all speak in the same voice. Egregious hyperbole (just how many MOST devastatingly horrible/vicious/evil/dangerous creatures in existence can there be in any one universe, anyway?). Ridiculously long monologues and soliloquies with no point to them. What compounds all these faults is that rather than learning from past mistakes, the author repeats them and ...more
Jeremiah
Oct 24, 2015 Jeremiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

A bit of a drop-off from the first one, but really it's a whole lot more of the same. I can't imagine a sober editor approving the structure of this behemoth of a book. There are massive passages of exposition that drag on for dozens of pages. I found myself skimming for the dialogue at times. The chapters are so long that you can't even find a comfortable stopping place. Even if I planned to read a lot longer, I find myself stopping when I hit a chapter point simply because they're so rare.

Eve
Ubiquitousbastard
Okay, the main characters are tremendously over-powered, and the language is at times very repetitive, and I kind of loathe Simon R. Green at present, but...I did like this book. It's like fantasy in space, with all of the intrigue that I can't help but love. There are a few characters that I completely love, some I'm still not sure about, and many that I freaking hate. But at least I'm not indifferent to everyone. If I hate characters, it's usually because they're especially terrible people.
So,
Éric Kasprak
Feb 01, 2016 Éric Kasprak rated it it was amazing
The second Deathstalker novel is a direct continuation of the first one and therefore keeps all of the same qualities: fun space adventure, interesting characters and action aplenty on a background of political Empire war/rebellion. New characters are introduce and old favorite are being wonderfully fleshed out with new story angles, plot twist and subtle world building being sprinkle here and there. When I finish this second novel I felt like naturally continuing onto the next one, and at more ...more
Kadja Draenor
This one barely made it to the three star rating. I enjoy the writing, and the story is interesting, but overall it is lacking. Specifically it annoys me how the universe seems to change with each chapter, such as adding a new super powerful character or group to the scene that hasn't been mentioned before. Also, while the book is supposed to be about Owen Deathstalker, at least half of this book didn't include him at all. The parts he was in weren't even the interesting parts of the book. I wil ...more
Cera
Oct 18, 2008 Cera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this over-the-top space opera series, and I think one of the main reasons is that while there's a lot (really a *lot*) of violence, the violence is never sexualised. Plenty of characters (both sympathetic and un) are good fighters, take active joy in combat, are willing to assassinate other people, etc etc etc, and there's lots of fight scenes, but Green never makes the violence pretty or sexy, and tries hard to show all the ugly and painful sides of warfare, even necessary ...more
Alicia
Jul 19, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series after a cameo from one of the Deathstalkers in one of the Secret Histories novels by Green. It's my first foray (other then the Enders series) into sci-fi space operas. The original Deathstalker book was the best, and although this was a good read, it was a lot slower to get through. Other then that, the story was entertaining, the characters interesting (if not a bit fragmented in this 2nd of the series), and I recommend it to those who like action sci-fi.
Jon West
Book 2 in the Deathstalker series. Continues the adventure of rebellion against the Empire. With clones, telepaths, telekinesis and feudal lords.

Good Reads Rating system
My rating system (*]star)
1* couldn't finish book
2* finished book, but didn't like it
3* a good read
4* a very good read often with a novel concept or unusual plot
5* an exceptionally good read, a prominent example of the genre
Christopher
A good story that suffers from the repetitive use of certain phases, however an enjoyable read with some interesting aliens and worlds. The final quarter of the story focusing on Jack random is probably worth 4 stars, but the rest of the story lets it down. Strange as the story is called Death-stalker, it does not seem to focus much on the role of Owen Death-stalker, perhaps this will change in the third book.
Nanci
Oct 28, 2015 Nanci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I said for the first book in this series, I would have rated this 3 1/2 stars if that was possible. The many primary characters have grown since the previous volume and the scope of the tale continues to be vast. I think I would have liked to see more dimensions to The Empress, and there were relationship issues between a few people that I didn't wholly agree with, but overall I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next volume in the series.
Florenceg
May 27, 2012 Florenceg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A very good one! I did prefer it to the first one... maybe because I'm now familiar with the universe and characters.
Toujours bien trash, mais finalement assez "drôle"... On reste un peu sur sa faim car le livre n'est finalement que le début de l'aventure pour la plupart des héros. Toujours bien écrit, assez décapant...des expressions et des personnages pas piqués des vers!
krin
Sep 21, 2008 krin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This was an engaging military space opera which gave insights into many characters points of view. Though the series is about Owen Deathstalker, he is more in the background in this book. More prominent characters include Captain Jack Silence who will defend the Empire even if it's not perfect and the rebel Jack Random who is one of the few who was altered by an alien maze.
Tressa
I was excited to listen to Deathstalker Rebellion, but the story felt like a retread of Deathstalker. I was disappointed as I really liked the narration. Alas, I was unable to finish listening to the audiobook.
Rhize
Sep 20, 2013 Rhize rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story was less about the main story arc and more about silence and Frost, you can literally skip the political drivel and main character parts as they add absolutely nothing to the story. Go Silence and Frost
Darren
Dec 30, 2014 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent continuation of the story. Great climax - lots of fights and explosions. However, Owen is missing for much of the book, and since he's my favorite character, this isn't a five-star book for me. Loved the chapter with Frost and Silence on the ghost ship.
Juliana
Aug 22, 2009 Juliana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, spaceopera, satire
An amusing diversion; there are some particularly wacky bits in this one. I'm not sure if I'm going to wind up finishing the series, though.
Farnam Khosravi
continue of a strong extraordinary story in which a crude Empress is depicted who rules the universe with full dictatorship.
Don't miss it.
Dan
Feb 23, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review of every Green book ends up being the same. You know what you're getting; it's not particularly well written, nor does it seem to try to be, but it sure is fun and ridiculous.
Elden
Nov 19, 2012 Elden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, I like how the story is going and cannot wait to read the next in the series. Still not as good as his Nighstide or Drood series but still a good read.
Steven Werber
Jun 08, 2015 Steven Werber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really excellent! Green's written a million books and a lot tend toward fluff (though always fun.) This had surprising depth. Heroes, anti-heroes, villains....great book!!
Katie
Dec 14, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Has all the same failings as the first book, only more so. ( I read the first two in the series before reviewing here.)
StrangeBedfellows
I don't know what is was exactly, but for me this book fell short of the first one. I would still encourage anyone to give this series a try because Green is a skillful writer.
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • Starstrike
  • The Clone Alliance (Rogue Clone, #3)
  • Orphan's Destiny (Jason Wander, #2)
  • A Magic of Nightfall (The Nessantico Cycle, #2)
  • For More Than Glory (Legion, #5)
  • Planetfall
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • The Ethos Effect (Parafaith, #2)
  • Interstellar Patrol
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Deathstalker (8 books)
  • Deathstalker (Deathstalker, #1)
  • Deathstalker War (Deathstalker, #3)
  • Deathstalker Honor (Deathstalker, #4)
  • Deathstalker Destiny (Deathstalker, #5)
  • Deathstalker Legacy (Deathstalker, #6)
  • Deathstalker Return (Deathstalker, #7)
  • Deathstalker Coda (Deathstalker, #8)

“What the hell are you doing here? You weren't on the guest list. Hell, you people aren't on anybody's guest list. If you turned up at a funeral, the corpse would walk out on you.” 11 likes