Start by marking “The Rivals: Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova - Their Rivalry, Their Friendship, Their Legacy” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The first book to examine the intertwined journey of legendary champions Chris Everet and Martina Navratilova, based on extensive interviews with each, takes readers on and off the courts with vivid, never-before-published material.
Published June 16th 2005 by Yellow Jersey Press (first published January 16th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rivals

Kirsti
Surprising, funny, sad, compulsively readable. When you read the words "I lived most of my life in fear," you'd think that Martina Navratilova said them, right? After all, she was a closeted lesbian who defected from a Communist country. Nope, Chris Evert said them. Most people who knew Navratilova thought she wasn't afraid enough.

Some other quotes from this remarkable book:

"I'm still tired from the '70s." --Billie Jean King, explaining why she likes to sleep late

"People always thought I was ang
Rachel C.
I'm a pretty big tennis fan now, but I wasn't born yet / didn't follow tennis for the bulk of the time period this book focuses on. I did have the experience of seeing Martina Navratilova at the US Open, playing doubles with Bob Bryan. She was almost fifty (!) at the time, and they won the title. I remember thinking, "Boy, she must really love tennis." (By comparison, Andre Agassi was considered an old man when he retired at 36.)

This book covers a lot of ground, everything from the biographical
Joyce
Howard is a fine writer. As someone with little interest in tennis, I still found it a page-turner. These two women are amazing, and I believe, as Howard certainly does, that they made each other better, elevating the sport at the same time. Howard includes the earliest history of the women's movement and women in sport, including a fine piece on Billie Jean King. Men and women in our group rated this a 9 out 10 for a sports book, and would highly recommend it to all ages for its recognition of ...more
mstan
I've always enjoyed watching tennis. My parents introduced me to this genteel sport when I was a kid, and I have fond memories of graceful athletes lobbing balls over a net.

Martina Navaratilova and Chris Evert were the biggest female tennis stars when I first became conscious of tennis, but I never really knew them well (I was just 8 or 9 I think!). This book is more a biography of both women than it is an account of their rivalry. It highlights some interesting facts about athleticism and the p
Jonathan
Oct 20, 2010 Jonathan marked it as to-read
Recommend by Sports Illustrated's tennis scribe, a really good sports author in his own right (Venus Envy, Strokes of Genius, and the forthcoming Sportscasting, sort of Freakonomics for sports). It's a captivating story that may not even require much, as these two played such inspired tennis against each other. What an era! Navratilova, the bigger, stronger, Czech immigrant, a lesbian whose MO was to crash the net on court, and Evert, the fragile looking but mentally steely America's sweetheart ...more
risha
brilliant. highly, highly recommended.
Heather
I recommend this book to anyone curious about trailblazing women athletes. It was amazing to me that as recently as the 1970s that strong women athletes were considered by many to be "unnatural". The book also touched on the sad reality that we place famous folks in a labeled box, so we believe that we can judge them or love them based on information fed to us by the media. All in all pretty interesting stuff.
Terri
Having watched most of their televised matches between 1973 and 1988, I was delighted to run across this copy about the 'rivalry' between Chris Evert and Martina Navratrilova at my local Goodwill store. I admired both women -- Chris for her quiet demeanor and firm control from the baseline, and Martina for her passion and athleticism. A well-written tribute to two of my favorite women in sports.
Diana
If you've every wondered what it takes to be an elite athlete, here are two views--the one who works her tail off and the one with talent. Both can be successful. Plus, lots of eye-opening details about the efforts of Billie Jean King and her friends to make women's tennis respected. The Williams sisters really DO have a lot to be thankful to her for.
Craig
This book is fun for the juicy details about the Woman's tour in the 70s. I can't get the image of Chris and Martina going on a double date with Desi Arnaz Jr. and Dino Martin. I just wish they had pictures from the night.
Emily
A really fantastic book about two amazing female athletes and the background to Title IX. I grew up watching these matches and reading about the players now, years later, is fascinating. Highly recommended.
Briley Boisvert
This book taught me so much about diversity, commonalities and succeeding when it didn't seem possible. I also learned about positive competitiveness and the will to never give up or improve.
Donald
As a life-long fan of Chris Evert, I was extremely pleased with this joint biography of her and Martina Navratilova. Alternating chapters between Chris and Martina. Well-done.
Taro Yamashita
Great biographical information about the epic on-court battle and off-court friendship between tennis superstars Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert.
Amanda Heffelfinger
A must read for fans of female sports stories. Great background on Billy Jean King's struggle getting pay equity and recognition for women's tennis.
Kay Haas
I learned I'm not a very good tennis player.
Karena
Loaned to George.
Pawan
Pawan marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Katherine Lavelle
Katherine Lavelle marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Anna-maria Cosgrove
Anna-maria Cosgrove marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Nadiya Rudenko
Nadiya Rudenko marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ash Palacios
Ash Palacios marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Caro
Caro marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Priyanka
Priyanka marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Terrible Splendor: Three Extraordinary Men, a World Poised for War, and the Greatest Tennis Match Ever Played
  • Strokes of Genius: Federer, Nadal, and the Greatest Match Ever Played
  • Knuckler: My Life with Baseball's Most Confounding Pitch
  • Reasons To Be Cheerful
  • Tennis Handsome
  • Me, the Mob, and the Music: One Helluva Ride with Tommy James & The Shondells
Rivals: Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova Their Epic Duels and Extraordinary Friendshi P