Start by marking “Heart of the Wilderness, Repack (Women of the West, #8)” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Wilderness, Repack (Women of the West, #8)

Heart of the Wilderness, Repack (Women of the West #8)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,887 ratings  ·  43 reviews
She loves the woods of her childhood, but something else is calling to her . . .
Orphaned at a young age, Kendra Marty comes into the care of her only living relative, her grandfather. A trapper who lives alone in the backwoods, George McMannus doesn't know what he can offer Kendra, but one look into her green eyes and he is certain they belong together.
Papa Mac, as Kendr
Paperback
Published August 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Wilderness, Repack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Wilderness, Repack

Annalise
This was a good story of a girl and her grandfather. it kinda reminded me of the story of Heidi at first. it's pretty good.
Heather
This was an easy read,good book. I enjoyed learning more about a western trappers life.
Jan 28, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homeschooling parents
Great book... Illustrates, even, wonderful reasons for Homeschooling... ;o)
Leah
Wonderful book--Janette Oke books are the best!
Amber
this book is so sweet i love it
Anna
Dec 11, 2012 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Heart of the Wilderness!

A review by Anna Scardina

A tragic yet inspirational and inspiring story with romance and God. This describes everything this book is, just amazing! Heart of the Wilderness by: Janette Oke is a phenomenal story. This story is one of my favorites because it can relate to so many people. Not in the exact aspect of the story but in feelings and similar situations. The author does a wonderful job portraying Kendra, the child with two dead parents. She really brings your wh
Delphine
Miss Oke does it again

I love this story, how wonderful of Kendra to live such an exciting life. a trapped out in the wilderness! and then her true best friend a farm girl who shares her faith with Kendra. So many different relationships I thought would happen first, but the one that did is the best
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Larry Holshu
Excellent book. Well worth reading. Keeps your attention throughout.
Linda head
One of her best adventure books.
Laura Moss
Oct 29, 2014 Laura Moss marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janette-oke
Women of the West #8
Jen
I like Janette Oke's stories because they are relaxing and gentle and she writes well. This one did not disapoint.
Olivia Terwilliger
This is a great book for for you to read if you like stories about the wilderness. It's about a girl named Kendra Marty. Her parents died in a river accident when she was only four years old. Since then she has been living in a cabin the woods with her Grandfather who is a trapper. He tries to make Kendra life a little better, but he knows someday he will have to leave her so she can go to the city to go to school.
Elaine
This was just as much about Papa Mac as it was about Kendra. It was interesting to see Kendra's desire to learn and improve her mind as she sought for answers. A lovely story.
Candice
I LOVE Okes books let me say! I was very excited to read this one I just knew it was going to be detailed with "winter cabin meals" and cozy settings. It felt so RUSHED to me, it was like heres the girl BAM...shes years older now...and straight to the religion at the very end. I liked it however, it was just very rushed for me.
Winnette
Gwen Haaland
I am starting this feel good book now as a comforting antidote to the disturbing tragedy I just finished: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.
I need to feel people are basically good after such evil.
Had not planned to read this between all the heavy reads, but it called out to me at the library...
Michelle
pretty good, about a girl and her grandpa, living the remote trapper's life in Canada, her struggles to learn and to fit in when she's re-introduced to society. Mostly the ending is about her search for the meaning of life and finding "religion". A little to neatly wrapped up, but a fun read.
Sue
Kandra is tragically orphaned, and goes to live with her grandfather, a trapper in the backwoods of the USA. She grows up secure and confident, educated at home, and emerges into the adult world to learn about God and other people. A pleasant light read without too much preaching.
Rishi
This book was great in the beginning. I loved the first half of it and then it sort of fizzeled. She always has to have every character married, even if they are three in the beginning of the book. Other than that it was fun.
N. Brown
One of the many good books in this series. This young girl goes through devastation after devastation but she is searching for something. Unbeknownst to her, a new found friend will help her find peace, God, and love.
Rebecca Rash
I didn't find this interesting at all. It was hard for me to continue with the book even after the first chapter. There is good writing, as with any book it isn't all bad, but it left much to be desired in my opinion.
Rachel
Kendra is an interesting young lady, that's for sure; this is about her and her grandpa, about growing up in the middle of nowhere and being sent away to school.
The Artist Librarian (Jen)
Probably more like 2 1/2 stars ... I don't remember anything I liked or disliked ... forgettable? Maybe a little bit ... but I did read this over three years ago.
David Vanness
Apr 02, 2013 David Vanness marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
What I have is NorthStar Audio Books #541. Unabridged Six 90 min. cassettes read by Lois Betterton.
Joanne
Loved this! Kind of like a "Christian, Hatchet-like, love story. My kind of book.
Heather
Good book about a young girl in the backwoods with her grandfather who is a trapper.
Jencey/
I have read this book a couple of times but don't know that I would read it again.
Tracy
I'm not a big fan of Christian romance to begin with and this was poorly written.
Amy
A pretty good story, fairly predictable, but overall, just a nice simple story.
  • Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • On the Trail of Truth (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister #3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Sword of Truth
  • Patience  (Brides of the West, #6)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy