Start by marking “Heart of the Wilderness, Repack (Women of the West, #8)” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Wilderness, Repack (Women of the West, #8)

Heart of the Wilderness, Repack (Women of the West #8)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,359 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Orphaned at a young age, Kendra Marty comes into the care of her only living relative, her grandfather. A trapper who lives alone in the backwoods, George McMannus doesn't know what he can offer Kendra, but one look into her green eyes and he is certain they belong together.
Paperback
Published August 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Wilderness, Repack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Wilderness, Repack

Annalise
This was a good story of a girl and her grandfather. it kinda reminded me of the story of Heidi at first. it's pretty good.
Heather
Jul 30, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read,good book. I enjoyed learning more about a western trappers life.
Heather
Jan 28, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homeschooling parents
Great book... Illustrates, even, wonderful reasons for Homeschooling... ;o)
Leah
Sep 13, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book--Janette Oke books are the best!
Amber
Jan 29, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is so sweet i love it
Anna
Dec 11, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Heart of the Wilderness!

A review by Anna Scardina

A tragic yet inspirational and inspiring story with romance and God. This describes everything this book is, just amazing! Heart of the Wilderness by: Janette Oke is a phenomenal story. This story is one of my favorites because it can relate to so many people. Not in the exact aspect of the story but in feelings and similar situations. The author does a wonderful job portraying Kendra, the child with two dead parents. She really brings your wh
Cricket
Mar 20, 2016 Cricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly interesting book
Another great book by Janette Oke. I found this book especially interesting besides the growth of a woman with God but also how a child, turned youngster , turned woman learned to live and love in the wilderness. Interesting bits of trapping, living in the wild was told in the story as well. I really enjoy the women of the West series.
Delphine
Mar 10, 2014 Delphine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Oke does it again

I love this story, how wonderful of Kendra to live such an exciting life. a trapped out in the wilderness! and then her true best friend a farm girl who shares her faith with Kendra. So many different relationships I thought would happen first, but the one that did is the best
Gloria Sherwood
Jun 09, 2015 Gloria Sherwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Christian book

I had difficulty getting into the book for quite awhile, then I never wanted it to end. This book has such a godly message of promise. Thank you for not putting any sexual content in this book, I know and trust this author you always write great books. This book is safe for anyone.b by
Beverly
Jan 23, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God

We know not the plans God has for His own. Kendra lost so much thru the death of her parents but gained everything thru God. He always watched over her and corrected her path. Straightened her faith to find family love and Jesus Christ the given Son for all sin.
Tina
Nov 09, 2015 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating story of a young girl coming of age in the wilderness, jointly being looked after by her grandfather and Native American "nonie". The tale has a lot of loss and heartbreak, and caused me to go through a lot of tissues. However the ending was a let down.
Amanda Tero
Feb 24, 2015 Amanda Tero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fictional
I found this book very interesting. Kendra is raised in an Indian village between her grandfather (who isn't a Christian) and an older Indian woman (who teaches Kendra the superstitions of Indians). As she grows, she begins to search for Truth - beautiful!
Emily
Sep 09, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another engaging book by Janette Oke! This one I especially enjoyed, as it wasn't mainly a romance. It's nice to take a break from that style every now and then! ;) A lovely story of a soul searching for the Truth and finding it.
Anna Lindemood
Jun 09, 2015 Anna Lindemood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and informative

Spellbinding. Jeanette Oke is good. I enjoy the descriptions. I feel as though I'm right there. The culture of two worlds informative.
Nadine Keels
Aug 15, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Rachel N
Jan 21, 2015 Rachel N rated it liked it
I enjoyed this heartwarming story; the best I've read from Janette Oke, actually. It's an easy read, perfect for a relaxing evening.
Larry Holshu
May 17, 2014 Larry Holshu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Excellent book. Well worth reading. Keeps your attention throughout.
Linda head
Feb 23, 2014 Linda head rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
One of her best adventure books.
Sharon McCutcheon Brooks
I really liked this story.
Laura Moss
Oct 29, 2014 Laura Moss marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janette-oke
Women of the West #8
Debby Baumgartner
A young orphan girl comes to live with her grandfather in the woods.
Jen
Mar 09, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I like Janette Oke's stories because they are relaxing and gentle and she writes well. This one did not disapoint.
Hosanna
Jul 16, 2015 Hosanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Heart of the Wilderness is a great book for girls of all ages! The characters are easy to relate with and feel sorry for. It has a great theme of searching for Truth, and the Truth will set you free. I love how Mrs. Oke portrayed this book, and it was never slow...I didn't want to put it down!
Baily
Aug 23, 2015 Baily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is what opened me into the world of Janette Oke. She was able to capture Kendra's heart year by year.
Olivia Terwilliger
This is a great book for for you to read if you like stories about the wilderness. It's about a girl named Kendra Marty. Her parents died in a river accident when she was only four years old. Since then she has been living in a cabin the woods with her Grandfather who is a trapper. He tries to make Kendra life a little better, but he knows someday he will have to leave her so she can go to the city to go to school.
Andrea
I usually enjoy these books in Oke's Women of the West series, but this one just fell flat for me. The details about living in the back country and trapping were interesting, but the religious aspect took over the entirety of the back 1/3 of this book and sort of fell flat for me. Of all of these I've read, it seemed like the actual plot was thinnest in this one. Not as good as I hoped, but not terrible.
Elaine
Oct 31, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
This was just as much about Papa Mac as it was about Kendra. It was interesting to see Kendra's desire to learn and improve her mind as she sought for answers. A lovely story.
Candice
I LOVE Okes books let me say! I was very excited to read this one I just knew it was going to be detailed with "winter cabin meals" and cozy settings. It felt so RUSHED to me, it was like heres the girl BAM...shes years older now...and straight to the religion at the very end. I liked it however, it was just very rushed for me.
Winnette
May 30, 2013 Winnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gwen Haaland
I am starting this feel good book now as a comforting antidote to the disturbing tragedy I just finished: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.
I need to feel people are basically good after such evil.
Had not planned to read this between all the heavy reads, but it called out to me at the library...
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)
  • On the Trail of the Truth (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #3)
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Roses for Mama (Women of the West #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West Series, #6)
  • A Bride for Donnigan
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • The Bluebird and the Sparrow
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)