Start by marking “Elizabeth Bishop: Life and the Memory of It” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Bishop: Life and the Memory of It

Elizabeth Bishop: Life and the Memory of It

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Elizabeth Bishop dedicated her poetry to telling “what really happened.” Yet what really happened in the life on one of the twentieth century's finest and most beloved American poets has eluded readers for years. In this first full biography, Brett Miller pieces together the compelling and painful story of Bishop's life and traces the writing of her brilliantly crafted poe ...more
Published September 1st 1995 by University of California Press (first published February 14th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth Bishop

Catherine Meng
Jul 16, 2009 Catherine Meng rated it it was amazing
"Of course it was the birds going South. They were high up, a fairly large sort of bird, I couldn't tell what, but almost speck-like, paying no attention to even the highest trees or steeples. They spread across a wide swath of sky, each rather alone, and at first their wings seemed all to be beating perfectly together. But by watching one bird, then another, I saw that some flew a little slower than others, some were trying to get ahead and some flew at an individual rubato; each seemed a varia ...more
Connie Kronlokken
Remedial reading for me regarding this well-known poet. Bishop, despite many difficulties beginning with the death of her father and her mother being institutionalized, wrote her whole life of her restless travels, mostly along the coasts of Nova Scotia, Florida, Brazil and New England. In a generation of poets wracked with mental illness, alcoholism and suicide, she had her share of these troubles, but left some truly marvelous poems. The book is very well written and correlations between the p ...more
M. D.  Hudson
Jul 31, 2009 M. D. Hudson rated it really liked it
Terrific biography of a terrific poet. Biographies usually leave me feeling clammy and soiled, and this one is not much different...poets seem singularly miserable to me. Maybe everybody is. Anyway, good book. Read the poems too.
Emily
Jun 21, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
I never got turned toward Elizabeth Bishop until I went to see the Dear Elizabeth play at the Berkeley Rep last week. It was very well done! By Sarah Ruhl, and a s***load of water hits the stage more than once, yet no one in the audience got wet!

The biography has a completely different tone than the play. The play tarted up a potential romantic but star-crossed love between Bishop and Robert Lowell.

The biography was dark, telling the sad and desperate story of the parentless, asthmatic, alcohol
Barbara Melosh
Apr 05, 2014 Barbara Melosh rated it really liked it
Well researched and well written critical biography, with sensitive reading of the poems; Millier also offers a broader literary history through her portrayal of the changing commitments and practices of twentieth century poetry. Beautifully designed too, by Univ. of California press--on good paper, with elegant design and handsome font.
Caroline Cottom
Jun 29, 2012 Caroline Cottom rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is an incredible work of bringing together the poetry of Bishop with her letters and life experiences in Brazil and the U.S. As a poet myself, I am awed by Bishop's "eye," her ability to see things fresh always. In this book, the reader is able to follow Bishop in her development of poems over 20 or more years--even for a single poem!
Farah
Jun 05, 2007 Farah rated it really liked it
I love "Miss Bishop"! "Awful but cheerful," she's smart, funny, and sad.
Corinne Blackmer
read
Thayer
Thayer marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sy
Sy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Flora
Flora marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Aleksandra Mihaljević
Aleksandra Mihaljević marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Jamie Moriarty
Jamie Moriarty marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Kit
Kit rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Michelle Smith
Michelle Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Picasso Pablo
Picasso Pablo rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Janika
Janika marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
David Vanbiesbrouck
David Vanbiesbrouck marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Chris Bateman
Chris Bateman rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Kaye Linden
Kaye Linden rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015