Start by marking “Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Book of Dreams

Book of Dreams

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  766 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"In the Book of Dreams I just continue the same story but in the dreams I had of the real-life characters I always write about."

Excerpt:

WALKING THROUGH SLUM SUBURBS of Mexico City I'm stopped by smiling threesome of cats who've disengaged themselves from the general fairly crowded evening street of brown lights, coke stands, tortillas—Unmistakably going to steal my bag—I s...more
Published May 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published December 15th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Dreams

Fred
I connected a lot with this book. The way Kerouac's dreams unfolded, the images, the metaphors and the associations made a lot of sense to me. Just like On the Road and Dharma Bums - books that work on an emotional level.

Even though it lacks a regular/traditional structure and a discernible rhythm like that of On the Road, Book of Dreams can be considered, in a way, the most important expression of Kerouac's writing, in the sense of what he aimed to achieve: an exploration of the subconscious.
Nicolle
AMAZING, after reading this book I decided to start my own dream journal and the results were a bit of fun, scary and profound!
Josh
truthful entrails of the mind unraveled--dreams of making it with little girls even
Daniella
Jun 10, 2011 Daniella rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardcore Kerouac fans.
I have a confession to make: I didn't enjoy On the Road quite as much as everyone else seemed to enjoy On the Road. I'm not sure whether it's because people had forever been telling me how oh-my-god-amazing it is, and thus I went into it with really high expectations--too high, in fact--or if it's because I'm just not a fan of Kerouac's style. Either way, I'm sure it makes me a terrible person, but there it is.

So it begs the question why I didn't simply pass on by when I spotted Book of Dreams...more
Sharayu Gangurde
I was so intrigued by the title of this book and for the fact that i've heard and read lot of reviews about On the road. Jack Kerouac belongs to the Beat generation which includes Allen Ginsburg's Howl.

So I picked up this book and began reading on the train journey back home. Somehow, books read during train journeys affect me a lot. However, this book really did affect my mind so much that I couldn't fathom or focus on the ideas written by Kerouac. His dreams are just way too different than us...more
GK Stritch
For the Kerouac enthusiast, one wades through dreamy dream dreams, murky dreams, unfortunate dreams, dreams that reveal Jack's coeur, and then hits golden poetry prose that makes it worthwhile.

"Best Dream and Book of Dreams" essay

www.beatdom.com/?p=2931
Tait
I'm not a huge fan of Kerouac, but I am a sucker for books of dreams, particularly from notable authors, as I'm interested in the ways that dreams are represented as a narrative form. So far, Kerouac's fast-paced, ungrammatical style lends itself well to the feeling and uncertainty of dream narratives, though it suffers from the same shortcoming as Cixous' "Dream I Tell You" in presenting material that is fairly everyday and doesn't capture the surreal and epic quality that I love about dream na...more
Brett
May 19, 2013 Brett rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: beat
Sometimes Kerouac can be so very good. Other times he can be like this.

You know how hearing about other people's dreams can often be tedious and boring? Imagine reading an entire book like that! That is exactly what we have here. Granted, these are Jack Kerouac's dreams, so they are more fun than, for instance, your co-worker's, but good lord does it become tiresome after a while.
Bogdan
Perhaps I have made a mistake reading this book before any other novel of the same writer. I didn't like it at all mainly because the dreams he is describing are often without a clear story line and so separate one from another and because I had no clue regarding some of the characters encountered in these dreams.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
Chris
Literally accounts of his dreams that he scribbled out upon waking. Definitely only for the major fan of his prose style, since it is not what he says, but rather how he says it, that makes this book worth reading at all.
Ana Mănescu
Interesting recurring themes - his mother, the war, his cats, his lovers and friends - with some pieces of brilliant writing. But, overall, this book is only for big Kerouac/dream journals fans or really patient people.
Edward
Aug 29, 2007 Edward added it
Himself at his best I'd say. Short, snappy, painfully pretty dreams recorded and brought back to life in a style meant for maybe just that purpose. Hard enough to catch that fish, but then he gets it to talk.
Kecia
I'm a fan of Kerouac...but this is simply torture to read. Rambling dreams with no plot or purpose. I'd rather he just told me these dreams over coffee.
Chris Meger
This book is fun just because it allows you to really settle into Jack's brain. Not always fun, often sad, but very, very comfortable.
Michael
This book is boring and pretty stupid. Maybe if I was a Kerouac completest, but then I'd be boring and stupid.
Emma
Jack Kerouac's dream log spanning from 1952-1960, and they are filled with characters from several of his novels.
RK Byers
was probably far better to personal acquaintances and professional psychoanalysts.
Erin
May 25, 2010 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Erin by: self
Some were interesting, some weren't, but the concept was great!
Fatimée
Was unable to follow up whith anything, anyhow, a really smoked book!
Brooke
just a bunch of rambling...don't waste your time.
Maria Rolim
almost finished :D
Cherie
A JK's dreams
Ed
Good cover!
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Maria Tsandi
Maria Tsandi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
  • The Fall of America
  • Jack Kerouac: Angel-Headed Hipster
  • Memory Babe: A Critical Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • Exterminator!
  • Her
  • Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • The Child Buyer
  • Poems and Translations (Library of America #144)
  • Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution
  • Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg
  • Go
  • The Last Days
  • The First Third
  • Minor Characters: A Beat Memoir
  • The Beat Book
  • Kerouac: A Biography
  • The Mutineer: Rants, Ravings, and Missives from the Mountaintop, 1977-2005
Born on March 12, 1922, in Lowell, Massachusetts, Jack Kerouac's writing career began in the 1940s, but didn't meet with commercial success until 1957, when On the Road was published. The book became an American classic that defined the Beat Generation. Kerouac died on October 21, 1969, from an abdominal hemorrhage, at age 47.
Early Life

Famed writer Jack Kerouac was born Jean-Louis Lebris de Keroua...more
More about Jack Kerouac...
On the Road The Dharma Bums Big Sur The Subterraneans Desolation Angels