Start by marking “Contents under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away” as Want to Read:
Contents under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away

Contents under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away

Celebrating Rush's 30th anniversary, this retrospective of Canada's most successful music group examines each of the band's approximately 20 lauded records and sold-out tours, eliciting fresh insights into the marriage of Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee's clas
Published June 1st 2004 by E C W Press

To ask other readers questions about Contents under Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contents under Pressure

Jessica
Nov 18, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great quick read, chronologically covering the entire Rush catalog up until Rush In Rio. Each chapter followed more or less the same structure, covering first the progress leading up to recording the record, a bit about the inspiration and influences of the album, the breadth of the tour, brief observations about the opening bands, and some personal insights from the band via Popoff's interviews with them. These interviews are the real gold of the book, interesting little anecdotes an ...more
Michael Abbattista
Another great book from Martin Popoff (one of his earliest) that profiles Rush in an "album per chapter" format. Thoughts on every album and accompanying tour from all three band members and a ton of great pictures as well. No one does these types of books better than Popoff.
Scott Holstad
Oct 26, 2012 Scott Holstad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this authorized biography of Rush, as would any fan I think. Even people who aren't big Rush fans might find it an interesting read. The book starts from the first album, Rush, back in the early 1970s. This book celebrates 30 years of Rush, and it covers every album -- including live ones -- all the way up through 2002's Vapor Trails. The book equally covers each album -- and each song on each album -- and the accompanying tour that went with it, starting from Rush opening f ...more
Spencer
Oct 08, 2009 Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contents Under Pressure, written by Martin Popoff, tells what happened to Rush since the beginning of their band. The band Rush formed in 1974, consisting of the members Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart. All the band members hail from Canada and are credited with creating the rock genre of progressive rock. This book gave me a lot of information about the band and what happened during their years.
This book is written in the genre of a biography, so the plot basically tells the reader wha
Otto Lehto
A semi-decent album-by-album coverage of the life of Rush.

Mostly as told by the band members themselves, through interviews.

The author Popoff, according to the blurb, has written over 20 books of this sort about various rock bands. And it shows. For good and bad. He knows how to put things together in an accessible way, but the "rockumentarian," fanboy-serving, flashy style doesn't shine light "beyond the lighted stage."

All the band's tours, producers and studios are accounted for, almost to th
Janne Paananen
Apr 06, 2015 Janne Paananen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martin Popoffin Rush-historiikki keskittyy levytyksiin ja kiertueisiin. Hän on haastatellut Rush-kolmikkoa käyden läpi kronologisesti heidän koko uran Vapor Trails-levyyn ja sitä seuranneeseen 30-vuotiskiertueeseen asti. Geddyn, Alexin ja Neilin ääni kuuluu läpi koko kirjan. Hyvin yksinkertainen rakenne on erittäin toimiva ja simppeli. Koko pakettiin on taitettu messevä määrä Andrew MacNaughtanin valokuvia. Tässä ei siis voi isommin nillittää mistään muusta kuin, että ihan valtavan syvälle bändi ...more
Tom Schulte
In the midst of Rush's 40-city tour to promote its 30th anniversary, this book looks back on the progressive rock bands progress through intertwining discography with gigography. This authorized tour overview is replete with candidate remarks and insight garnered from interviews with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. The book also features many photographs from official band photographer Andrew MacNaughtan. Conveniently broken into a chapter dedicated for each release and the correspondin ...more
g-na
Feb 11, 2012 g-na rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-faves
That's right, I read a book about a band I like :P This wasn't a fan club "Omg what kind of stuff do they like?!" book. Instead, the author spoke with the band about how it was to record and tour for each of the album they had released up to this point (2004, the 30th anniversary of the release of their first album). Being familiar with all of the albums in question, it was fun to hear things like why they chose to go in a particular direction, and how their live show has evolved over the years. ...more
Don Murphy
Jan 04, 2015 Don Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An album-by-album, tour-by-tour dissection of the first 30 years of Rush. Popoff interviews the Boys and brings forth their recollections and opinions of each step of the adventure. He reveals some pretty new and interesting details and helps provide a deeper glimpse into the band.
Some of the chapters feel incomplete, writing-wise. Overall, a good read if you are into Rush. Some of the interviews are similar - if not exact - statements from other sources, but there are instances where it is quit
Erik
Hmm. I am torn about this one. I am a huge Rush fan and learned a few things about the band, though I can't say I am huge fan of Popoff's writing, which is overblown in his introductions to each album. It is almost like liner-note language times ten. The book definitely gets stronger towards the late 1990s and early 2000s, where the chapters are longer and more detailed.
Karen
Mar 21, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Great book about the band I love, Rush. It goes through each album up to the R30 (maybe we will get an update to include R40?). I love the pictures and the guys describing their memories of the writing/recording of their albums. Author put tour info in and other interesting tidbits. Learned a few new things and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Michael Lello
Jul 01, 2013 Michael Lello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exhaustive but a quick read. Nice, structured rundown of every Rush album and tour, up to and including R30, with in-depth interviews with all three members. Lots of illuminating facts and opinions, even for the knowledgeable fan. Would have liked to read about Peart's decision to return after his personal tragedies, but I assume he chose not to talk about it.
Benjamin Kahn
An official book, so Popoff wrote this with the band's approval. Unfortunately, you can tell as he has written glowing reviews of albums that he was much more disparaging of elsewhere. Every album is great and unique in this book, unfortunately, the official status costs Popoff his journalistic integrity.
Scott
Oct 08, 2010 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a die-hard Rush fan, I adored this book. It dedicates a full chapter to each of the bands album releases (including live albums). It is quite in depth and mostly recounts memories of each album (recording, tours, etc.). from each band member. I highly recommend this book for any Rush fan.
Tiara Lewis
Apr 05, 2011 Tiara Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased on this book. I love Rush so anything about them I'm almost sure to like. I really liked the photos that they were able to bring together for this book though--their look over the years was crazy to see lol
Mark Reiter
Aug 21, 2015 Mark Reiter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read. It details each record and tour up to the R30 tour as told by the band members. It's packed with pictures and you'll get a good dose of Neil being personal and generous with his take on Popoff's queries. Well worth the time if you're a fan.
Derek Hale
A pretty good book. Doesn't really contain any new information. I couldn't tell if the author (Martin Popoff) really liked the group or not. I'm looking forward to reading Jon Collins' definitive biography of the band.
adri patamoma
Dec 25, 2010 adri patamoma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
livro essencial pros fãs da banda! neil, alex e geddy comentam todos os álbuns e turnês do rush, contando histórias, lembranças, gostos, etc. a-do-rei! (é uma delícia ver que músicas não tão conhecidas mas ainda assim favoritas são também muito queridas dos músicos do rush!)
Worth
May 19, 2008 Worth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Rush, thus there was little chance that I wouldn't enjoy this book. It's rather superficial both with respect to the personal and musical lives of Alex, Geddy, and Neil, but whatever, it's mind candy.
Jim
Jun 02, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT! Album by album description of what went into creating each Rush album up to R30. I am a HUGE Rush fan.
David Dietrich
Mar 28, 2013 David Dietrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arguably the most important book of the 21st Century. Plus it has lots of cool pictures.
Mike
Jul 14, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly sparse book with little information about each of their albums up to Vapor Trails. Lots of road stories, etc/ I wish they would have gone into more detail about each album.
Kathryn
Nice book, written clearly for die-hard fans. Content mainly covers the music rather than personal lives. If you are a die-hard, you probably won't find anything new in here.
Mike Chinakos
Nov 08, 2010 Mike Chinakos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite band! What can I say?
Jim
Feb 28, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
For Rush fans...lots of good pictures with some interesting historical tidbits. Horribly written, however.
Bruce
Oct 29, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of interviews and photos from Rush's beginning up to the beginning of R30.
Louis
Oct 21, 2008 Louis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, music, canadian
Great biography of my favorite band.
Ken
Sep 28, 2013 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No hard-hitting questions answered, but some really interesting thoughts from the band about all of their albums to this date. Recommended for fans of Rush.
Natalie
Jan 22, 2009 Natalie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I actually want to buy the book, but as a long-time Rush fan (over 1/3 of my life!) I'd love to at least read it. I'll have to see if the library can get it for me :-)
Ross
Mar 01, 2009 Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dive into the world of Rush. From their humble beginnings, personnel change, times on tour & what goes behind the writing & music, this is a must have for all Rush fans.
  • Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times