Start by marking “The Comedies of William Shakespeare (The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written)” as Want to Read:
The Comedies of William Shakespeare (The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written)

The Comedies of William Shakespeare (The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written)

A vibrant Shakespeare that brings readers closer than ever before possible to Shakespeare's plays as they were first acted. The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition invites readers to rediscover Shakespearethe working man of the theater, not the universal bard-and to rediscover his plays as scripts to be performed, not works to be immortalized. Combining the fre ...more
Leather Bound, The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written, 1120 pages
Published 1980 by The Easton Press (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Comedies of William Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Comedies of William Shakespeare

Mary Rose
Mar 17, 2014 Mary Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toda las obras del genero de comedia reunidas en un solo libro y del he tardado bastante en terminar por leer. No dire que sean densas precisamente, pues he tenido tiempo y calma en leer cada una de las comedias escritas por el mismísimo Shakespeare.
Reconozco que hubo algunas que siemplemente me han entretenido como Los dos caballeros de Verona y otras que he disfrutado completamente como Mucho ruido y pocas nueces (y se conviertieron en mis obras favoritas del dramaturgo). Reconozco que conoc
Luisa
Feb 13, 2017 Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with Shakespeare ❤

LA TEMPESTA ★★★★
15-08-14/17-08-14
Questa tragicommedia mi ha proprio colpito. E' una storia di vendetta che naturalmente finisce bene e quanto mi piacerebbe se nella realtà la vendetta (per quanto purtroppo nella maggior parte dei casi sia dovuta ad ingiustizie) si mettesse da parte perchè non ha davvero senso... con la vendetta non ottieni giustizia o liberazione, anzi è peggio.
S. ci dimostra che è possibile che una situazione del genere prenda una direzione diversa
D.M.
Jan 14, 2011 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of the English language
I'd read a handful of these before, and feel pretty much the same about the ones I'd read as I already did. The only ones I found unpleasant were Much Ado... and The Winter's Tale, both of which I feel like were written by someone else.
Anyway, here's the rundown. Tempest was funnier than I was expecting. Merchant Of Venice still kind of bothers me. As You Like It is clearly a farce, not really my kind of thing but still okay. Taming Of The Shrew is fun, although a little more than offensive to m
Petruccio Hambasket IV
Sure it's true that the Norton Comedies has all of em (at least by my lazy count), but can we talk about how thin the pages are in this edition? Touching these pages often reminds me of the feeling I get when wielding any of that 1 ply public washroom type toilet paper. This is quite unfortunate as it would suggest that the written words are the excrement intended for such quality loose leaf,but this is certainly not the case.

They're so thin and frail I'm forced to constantly monitor my page tur
Charles Berteau
Jul 04, 2014 Charles Berteau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review carried forward from Facebook wall.

I just finished The Winter's Tale, to complete my reading of the fourteen plays contained in The Comedies (by William Shakespeare), one of The 100 Greatest Ever Written series. I started this book in April of 2009, so it has taken a while – I do enjoy Shakespeare, but in small doses and certainly not enough to read an 1100-page collection straight through.

Before I started this book, I hadn’t read too many of Shakespeare’s plays, and I had read none of hi
Kriss
Aug 11, 2009 Kriss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took what felt like a long time but I did it! I couldn't have done it without the Notes and Glossary in the back of the book, ok I could have but it would have taken a lot more time to look things up. I thought at first this might have been too much Shakespeare to read at one time. It didn't take me long to realize I actually prefer it. The more I read the easier it got, I was getting more and more familar with the language and writing. I still prefer to watch the plays rather than read them. ...more
William Herbst
Jun 29, 2012 William Herbst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is currently my favorite edition of Shakespeare's writings. I cannot comment on the editorial choices in presenting the text as I am not at all familiar with the manuscript tradition but the notes are abundant and informative. There is the perfect amount of commentary before each play for my (admittedly casual) taste. I read individual plays and commentaries from this series as the mood strikes me or if I am planning to see a performance. I have not read this series cover to cover.
Mike Jensen
Sep 09, 2014 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These plays are great, the introduction to Shakespearean comedy by Katharine Eisaman Maus in notable, but unfortunately the Norton Shakespeare uses the dodgy Oxford Complete Shakespeare texts, albeit with modifications for pedagogical reasons. This will be corrected in the third edition, due in 2015. I'd wait for that.

This is a fine edition in every way but the texts, but isn't that what it is really all about?
Terence Manleigh
As You Like It, Twelfth Night, Much Ado About Nothing, Love’s Labours Lost, A Midsummer Night’s Dream…. and these just scratch the surface of the joys sparkling between the covers of this book. At times, Shakespeare’s joyous wit and psychological genius make the best of these plays soar beyond comedy to a place somewhere next to wisdom literature.
Danielle
Jun 12, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20-in-14
This anthology has the greatest notes and definitions I've read in editions of Shakespeare's plays. It's one of my treasures in my library. I just re-read Midsummer Night's Dream and even just the feel of the thin pages makes this a special book to have.
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Shakes good. Good. Kill me, I never liked him before, for as a kid, I only knew he would write many romantic and tragic plays, but now, now I know what a true master he is :)
The comedies are cool. Have to read all once... in my lifetime :b
Sarah Sommers
Jan 31, 2013 Sarah Sommers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great college course book
Daniela
Sep 01, 2012 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Still have this one from college :)
Scott Blade
Apr 28, 2014 Scott Blade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill Shakespeare. Always timeless.
JM Blackie
Feb 10, 2014 JM Blackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Norton editions of Shakespeare's play are perhaps the best available, in my opinion. I like this omnibus but the individual volumes travel better.
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
SJH (A Dream of Books)
SJH (A Dream of Books) rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2010
Rod Taylor
Rod Taylor rated it it was ok
May 04, 2012
Theuniverse67
Theuniverse67 rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Sam Lenton
Sam Lenton rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Johnny B3
Johnny B3 rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
Allison Leigh
Allison Leigh rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Mary  Lewys
Mary Lewys rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2008
Shadout Mapes
Shadout Mapes rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Sasha Grimes
Sasha Grimes rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Meredith Rice
Meredith Rice rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
  • Critical Theory Since Plato
  • Shakespeare and Co.: Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Dekker, Ben Jonson, Thomas Middleton, John Fletcher and the Other Players in His Story
  • Eastward Ho!
  • Essential Shakespeare Handbook
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
  • Renaissance Self-Fashioning: From More to Shakespeare
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. F: The Twentieth Century & After
  • The Complete Poems and Major Prose
  • Three John Silence Stories
  • Brush Up Your Shakespeare!
  • The Book of William: How Shakespeare's First Folio Conquered the World
  • The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets
  • Dry Lips Oughta Move To Kapuskasing
  • Shakespeare the Thinker
  • The Portable Twentieth-Century Russian Reader
  • Filthy Shakespeare: Shakespeare's Most Outrageous Sexual Puns
  • The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader (Portable Library)
  • Living with Shakespeare: Actors, Directors, and Writers on Shakespeare in Our Time
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Anything that's mended is but patched. Virtue that transgresses is but patched with sin, and sin that amends is but patched with virtue” 3 likes