Start by marking “Hawkwood's Voyage (The Monarchies of God, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hawkwood's Voyage (The Monarchies of God, #1)

Hawkwood's Voyage (The Monarchies of God #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,180 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In a land torn by religious war and chaos, rogue mariner Richard Hawkwood leads an expedition to find a lost continent where safe haven may be found. But before the explorers find sanctuary-they must first survive the journey.
Published December 31st 2001 by Ace (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hawkwood's Voyage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawkwood's Voyage

Xabi1990
Dec 03, 2015 Xabi1990 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A falta de confirmar con los siguientes de la saga –que van a caer en ya- sólo tengo una duda. ¿Por qué no es más conocida esta saga?. O al menos ,¿Por qué no la conocía yo?.

Me recuerda poderosamente a la Canción de Hielo y Fuego en sus comienzos : muchos reinos, personajes atractivos, una historia medieval –con pólvora y armas de fuego- y una trama sencilla pero bien hilvanada y que se sigue con interés. Los paralelismos con las guerra medievales de cruzados/musulmanes son evidentes.

Los elemen
Brandy
Jun 05, 2011 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
Llevo 10 minutos ante el teclado sin decidirme sobre el texto a poner en la reseña. Temo que cualquier cosa que diga, sea malinterpretada y no consiga mi objetivo final que no es otro que el enganchar a otr@s con gustos afines a que pruebe esta serie.
El viaje de Hawkwood es fantasía de la buena, a caballo entre la épica y la histórica. Quizás peque más de ésta última. El desarrollo de la novela es del estilo de CdHydF, novela río, donde cada personaje tiene suma importancia y poco a poco se van
Simon Mcleish
Jun 02, 2015 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in November 1999.

It's impossible to tell today what exactly the connection was between the fall of Constantinople, the heyday of the Spanish Inquisition, the voyages of discovery and the Reformation. All these events took place in a relatively short time, and some are definitely connected (one of the spurs to the voyages of exploration was the closing of trade routes to the East by the Turks).

Kearney has taken these events and made them the basis of his fanta
Martin Davey
Apr 18, 2012 Martin Davey rated it liked it
I'd been looking forward to reading this one for a couple of years and finally got around to it. I'm glad I read it but it wasn't all I hoped it might be. Two and a half stars to three.

It's got all the ingredients I want in fantasy: political shenanigans, mystery, war, magic, sex and death...but it all feels a little distant, it all feels a little hard to care about. We have a massive and overwhelming invasion force coming to conquer the western kingdoms in a religious crusade. The Merduks want
Benjamin Kahn
This didn't blow me away. I thought some of the battle scenes were good and the settings were cool, and there was enough there to keep me reading, but there was a lot of dreck as well. Kearney obviously knows a lot about ships and sailing terminology, but makes the cardinal mistake of trying to include it all in his book. It gets tiresome.

I know very little about military tactics, but almost everything the Merduks do after conquering Aekir seems to make very little sense. Their strategies, thei
Andrew Kelly
Dec 15, 2015 Andrew Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed book one of the Monarchies of God. You have to bring a bit of endurance to the table at first as the book needs a bit of patience before it lights your touch fuse. Early sex scenes had me wondering whether or not the female characters were merely included as adornment to grant the wishes of power hungry males, but happily this proved not to be the case. As females characters use sex to manipulate the males to their own ends. However, that said, and if I remember correctly, they still f ...more
Ана Хелс
Jul 26, 2014 Ана Хелс rated it liked it
Това е една от поредиците станали тъжни жертви на големия проблем на българските издателства – а именно недоиздаването на започнати многотомия поради вероятно финансови причини, понасяни тежко от читателите, особено когато става въпрос за истории, които се развиват с всяка книга, а не са самостоятелни текстове, споделящи си само общи светове, герои или поне дух. Божиите монархии е безмилостно осакатена и зависваща на втория си том, а ни чакат още три , за да видим финала на епична фентъзийност, ...more
Kai Mundwiler
Oct 25, 2011 Kai Mundwiler rated it liked it
It was very refreshing to read a fantasy book that didn't follow the standard cliches and tropes of this genre. You can't say there is one major or main character as Kearney spreads the POV's around pretty evenly, but the namesake to the book is the captain of the ship that is heading to the yet undiscovered new continent.

The book is about the struggle between the Five Kings of the major kingdoms of the land, the Church, and the Dweomer (magic) people. Needless to say, there's a lot going on.

Th
Sherwood Smith
Mar 19, 2011 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: fantasy
I found this unneven; why did he bother with an alternate world when it's so closely tied to ours? I couldn't help feeling that either it should have been set in Europe, or else another world without the ham-handed analogues to our history.

I thought Kearney at his best when writing about ships and sailing, and at his worst when writing about the motivations of woman characters. He killed off the most interesting character in that book. There was a whole lot of torture and fighting, and there pr
Vicenç Sanz
Jun 04, 2015 Vicenç Sanz rated it it was amazing
Desde las Furias de Alera que no me encontraba con una novela que me atrapara tanto como lo ha hecho ésta, un libro que consigue mantener un ritmo envidiable pese a saltar de una punta a otra del continente, y de seguir tramas que no siempre están enlazadas.

Casi diría que lo mejor de todo es lo bien que sabe mezclar los distintos puntos de vista, sin dejarse a nadie (desde el comandante de las fuerzas infieles hasta el capitán del barco que hace el viaje a lo desconocido, pasando por reyes, nobl
May 12, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hawkwood’s Voyage is a book I’ve been meaning to read for a long time. Kicking off Paul Kearney’s epic Monarchies of God series, it seems to have often been both praised and criticised across the web solely on the strength of its parallels to historical events. I have to admit that my general knowledge in this area is pretty poor, however, so whilst reading it the only possible influences I was able to recognise were the Spanish Inquisition and the discovery of America. But since I picked up the ...more
Marcos
Jun 04, 2011 Marcos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastica
Toda una sorpresa! Buscaba de nuevo unas buenas novelas de aventura fantástica, evitando caer en tópicos que suelen caer este tipo de novelas: superhéroes, héroes bondadosos, etc.

Es un libro que fácil de leer y sin demasiados personajes protagonistas, y bastante intenso... la trama arranca bastante rápido.

Ahora a por el siguiente, los Reyes Heréticos, y a esperar que la iniciativa que ha llevado adelante la editorial Alamut para sacar el resto de libros de la saga (un total de 5) siga adelante.
Igor Ljubuncic
Apr 09, 2014 Igor Ljubuncic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paul-kearney
When I read this book the first time, I was really amazed by the brutality, the richness of the world. The second time, a whole decade later, it feels a little more historic, more documentary, less engaged than I remembered. Still, Kearney is an under-appreciated author, and he is the master of what can be summarized in one word: despondency.

His future works get better - and more brutal still.

Igor
Todd
Apr 16, 2016 Todd rated it really liked it
Fast-moving book set in a secondary world, in a time very similar to the late 1400s, except with magic, including shifters (werewolves). An almost-parody of Muslim excess, the Mered's are attempting to conquer the western world, which is also dealing with an almost-parody of Catholic excess, the Inceptines. In the meantime, the titular Hawkwood is on his way across the Western Sea to the fabled Western Continent.

The Inceptines are fun to hate, the Mered's are fun to be disgusted by, and the mys
Ojo
Mar 13, 2015 Ojo rated it really liked it
Quite a good story, although it took a while to get started. I still have the feeling this book is a mere prelude to the main happenings in the story.
The story is told from 3 viewpoints. The first is that of an invasion by an African seeming race on the Ramusian Kingdoms to the west. The second is the politics played by the monarchs of the Ramusian Kingdoms and the religious powers of the age. The third is a westerly voyage to lands hitherto unknown.
The setting is straight from the Middle Ages
Nicolas
Dans ce très intéressant premier tome, l'auteur nous présente un univers de fantasy dans lequel la magie existe, mais pas les créatures fantastiques (mis à part les loups-garous). Cette magie n'a néanmoins pas empêché la civilisation de se développer d'une façon très conforme à l'histoire de notre monde : des royaumes existent, unies dans une religion plutôt chrétienne dans son esprit, et ces royaumes sont opposés à d'autres, priant sur des tapis, dirigés par des sultans, et utilisant eux aussi ...more
Olethros
Dec 08, 2013 Olethros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Propuesta fantástica construida alterando cimientos históricos.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Normannia es un continente en el que sus naciones mantienen un equilibrio de poder mientras se vigilan de reojo. Al este, las fuerzas del sultán de Ostrabar están avanzando de forma metódica e imparable. En los propios reinos, la religión está intrincadamente mezclada con el poder estatal y todo aquel relacionado con la magia (o simplemente todo aquel que resulte sospechoso) corre pe
Olethros
Dec 08, 2013 Olethros rated it really liked it
-Propuesta fantástica construida alterando cimientos históricos.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Kerri Simpson
Jul 11, 2014 Kerri Simpson rated it it was ok
Ill pass. I only liked one character and he wasnt a main character at that. Hawkwood well nothing good comes to mind the only character aside from peeta to have me dislike is to kind hate him really. Because i got it in a volume set im stuck reading the second one since I have to finish what I start. But I dont have much faith in that either.
Darrell
Nov 02, 2010 Darrell rated it really liked it
This one was pretty good. I see the comparisons to George R.R. Martin in regards to the intrigue and politics. There's quite a bit of political manuevering in this book. The action is well described but especially in the naval warfare. I don't think I have read anyone who has put as much precise detail into such battles.

So far nothing overly creative in regards to the magical system utilized as we get a look at some of the familiar directions that many writers have taken though with a slightly d
Ithil
Nov 25, 2012 Ithil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña completa en: http://laestanteriadeithil.blogspot.c...

El Viaje de Hawkwood es un comienzo de una saga prometedora centrada en una guerra santa y las intrigas políticas de dos naciones enfrentadas. Aunque se trata de un libro de fantasía, tira mucho hacia la historia, por lo que si eres amante de este género definitivamente te gustará. Para los lectores habituales de fantasía puede que echen algo de menos la fantasía en sí ya que la magia tiene poco protagonismo. Podremos conocer ambos lado
Terje Kaspersen
Apr 06, 2015 Terje Kaspersen rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Joe Abercrombie styles himself as "Lord Grimdark". Paul Kearney doesn't seem to care about that, and in my opinion, Abercrombie doesn't reach him to the knees.
Bob White
Jul 30, 2011 Bob White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Like this a lot so far. Almost done with this first one but will definitely proceed through the series. Deep, multi-faceted character-driven epic fantasy. Great graphic battle scenes with detailed military strategy along with heavy action. Minimal magic but pretty cool when it happens. Very realistic sailing and naval descriptions.

Along with The Way of Kings (another excellent read!), this series is one of my favorite epic fantasy series. The Ice and Fire series is still the best by far, and the
Javi
Jan 22, 2014 Javi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin duda alguna me ha encantado, no se puede decir gran cosa del libro sin destriparlo pero vamos estoy ansioso por cogerme los 4 restantes y darles caña, es una mezcla de novela histórica con fantasía, un viaje a lo desconocido, guerras, intrigas y fanáticos dando por saco... mola.
Xeddicus
Mar 24, 2015 Xeddicus added it
Shelves: on-hold
On hold for pedophilia.
Leydhen
Jan 11, 2014 Leydhen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gran inicio para una saga.

Y es que lo admito, a mí dadme batallas con miles de muertos e intrigas cortesanas, dos modos de entender el mundo que colisionan, cismas religiosos y herejías que no lo son tanto y... Casi que los practicantes de magia son la guinda del pastel.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it really liked it
Engaging, thoughtful, and provocative. Kearney creates several intriguing characters -- especially the world-weary Corfe -- that drive the story along at an excellent pace. The multilayered plot brings action, drama, even humor to the table. And the parallels with European history are transparent but entertaining. Upon reading this first book, I was instantly hooked on the "Monarchies" series and had to run out for the sequel right away.
Patrick
Dec 03, 2013 Patrick rated it liked it
Pretty good read, the storyline & characters are great. However the style of writing isn't exactly smooth or crisp. And the biggest issue I have with the book is the author kills off the most intriguing character towards the end. And it's not even a very memorable goodbye. Oh and if you are a sailing enthusiast this books for you as there are more nautical terms packed in the 376 pages then you can shake a stick at.
James Cox
Apr 11, 2014 James Cox rated it really liked it
Really good!
  • The Glamour
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Folding Knife
  • Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak, #1)
  • Talion: Revenant
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • The Call of the Sword (Chronicles of Hawklan, #1)
  • Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1)
  • Rules of Ascension (Winds of the Forelands, #1)
  • Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The Art of War—Spirituality for Conflict: Annotated & Explained
  • Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • The Cry of the Newborn (The Ascendants of Estorea, #1)
  • A Shadow of All Night Falling
Paul Kearney was born and grew up in Northern Ireland. He lived for some years in Copenhagen, then spent two years in America before returning to Britain in 1998.

Paul Kearney was born in Ballymena, Northern Ireland, in 1967. He went to a local grammar school, and then to Lincoln College, Oxford, where he read Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, and Middle English and was a keen member of the Mountaineering So
More about Paul Kearney...

The Monarchies of God (5 books)
  • The Heretic Kings (The Monarchies of God, #2)
  • The Iron Wars (The Monarchies of God, #3)
  • The Second Empire (The Monarchies of God, #4)
  • Ships from the West (The Monarchies of God, #5)

“No man could truly say what he was until he had been pushed to the edge of things with the precipice of his own ruin staring up at him.” 2 likes