Dove

Dove

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,152 ratings  ·  146 reviews
In 1965, 16-year-old Robin Lee Graham began a solo around-the-world voyage from San Pedro, California, in a 24-foot sloop. Five years and 33,000 miles later, he returned to home port with a wife and daughter and enough extraordinary experiences to fill this bestselling book, Dove.
Paperback, 18th Printing, 199 pages
Published 1980 by Bantam Books, Inc. (first published January 1st 1900)

Suzanne
I will date myself and say I had a huge crush on this guy as a young girl with a birthday subscription to National Geographic. (He contributed articles for years during his voyage) What adolescent (and I wasn't quite there) doesn't fantasize about quitting school and finding himself by sailing around the world? When my children grew to his age I thought his family must have been just crazy to let him go, especially in a small 24 foot boat.
This was my first introduction to sailing, celestial na...more
Melinda
I got interested in this book because Zac Sunderland mentions it in his blog. See Zac's blog at http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/ind... . Zac is currently about 10 days from finishing a 13 month solo cruise around the world in a sail boat called "Intrepid", which will make him the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo! The story of Robin Lee Graham inspired him to think about doing the same thing himself.

More to come as I start the book.....

I have finished this book, and as of July 1...more
Lobeck
Jun 23, 2007 Lobeck rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the ocean, travelers
This is the true story of the author's solo sailing trip around the world. Robin Lee Graham, featured several times in National Geographic, set out to sail the world when he was 16 and finally returned home when he was 21. This book is his personal narrative of his travels - from being bored and lonely at sea to exploring gorgeous tropical islands to meeting his love Patty. It's a great book if you like to travel through literature.
Denzil Pugh
If Thoreau had lived during the 20th century, filled with materialism and media, I doubt he would have lived near Walden for any appreciable amount of time before going crazy, or having some developer come and tear down all the trees. In these days, he would have had to migrate north to Canada, or become next door neighbors with the militia groups in Montana.

Robin Lee Graham, in 1965, decided to sail around the world, in a sailboat, with little money, and with the rebellious attitude that preval...more
Michael Petrie
At the tender age of 16, Robin Lee Graham set out on a 33,000 mile, five year circumnavigation as the youngest solo sailor in the smallest boat: a 24 foot sloop named Dove. His voyage was famously covered by National Geographic Magazine, spawned two best selling books – Dove and Home Is The Sailor – as well as a children’s book, The Boy Who Sailed Around The World Alone, and a 1974 major Hollywood movie, The Dove, which won a Golden Globe Award. The story is more than one of adventure, it is als...more
KC
Apr 27, 2008 KC rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in sailing or world travel.
This was a real fun book and when reading it you seem to go on the adventure with him but at the same time conjure up your own dreams, hopes, desires too. I came upon it because my Dad had always talked about it and how it was a big inspiration for him as a youth. Robin Graham is very passionate, and it's really refreshing to go through great doubts, joys, and formative moments with him. He also has a way of putting feelings that are sometimes hard to describe into simple but powerful words. He...more
Yak
I read this when I was sailing with my family and not really enjoying it due to seasickness, but liking the mechanics of sailing and the idea of sailing to faraway places. "Dove" fits the bill, being a first-person account of a 16-year-old who sailed alone around the world. Plus it has that element of extreme personal challenge.
Suzy
This is more than an adventure, it's a journey into independance and self discovery. I read this book on the average of every two years, especially when I need a pick me up from the everyday mundane. I highly recommend it for ages early teen to adult.
Kevin Deaton
One of my favorite books. An example of what you can do with your life once you stop all that God Damn THINKING and believe in yourself. It proves your dreams are only limited by your will.
Betsey
Another favorite I read every few years! great adventure, thoughts of being a teenager and ideas about growing up, with a love story mixed in. A must read!
Brent
boy drops out of school. boy buys boat. boy sails around the world. for a long time. why wasn't I this boy?

Jo
Sep 05, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction, biography, boats
This is a great example of a book I read as a teen that has stayed with me, and remained important.
Jared Smith
Robin was a dreamer. His inspiring tale of passion and adventure at a young age of 16 reminded me that there still exist people who are dreamers. People who dream things that have never been dreamt; and then they make those dreams come to life. Robin Lee Graham was one of those peculiar people with a passion deeper than most. His book cataloguing his sailing voyage around the world in the 1960s inspires the reader to make his greatest dreams into realities. More than the act of being the younges...more
Will
This book is about a kid who decides to sail around the world by himself at the age of sixteen. Along the way he has many sea adventures while being accompanied by many cats that he brought along with him at the start of his voyage. Also during his life changing voyage he had to battle the feeling of sadness and depression because he was so alone all the time.

I thought that this book was okay because I don't like sailing books as much as my dad does. Even thought I didn't like this book very mu...more
Emily
The ** rating does not mean that I think this book was terrible. It simply means that this was not my cup of tea (to quote the book). I would not have chosen this novel on my own, so the reason for me reading it was because of one of many summer reading projects that have been gleefully assigned as mandatory torture material by my future LA teacher. Yippee.
Please, if stories about ships and sailing or autobiographies about a person taking a five year long solo boat trip to circumnavigate the gl...more
Noah Canel
Dove, by Robin Lee Graham is an amazing true story about the youngest boy to sail around the world alone. Robin was passionate about boats ever since his childhood and it had always been his dream to sail around the world. After almost risking his life trying to sail across the ocean in a tin boat with his friends, his dad decided it was time to up size his boat. The boat that his father purchased for him was named Dove, hence the name of the book.

Soon after Dove left the habor with 16 year old...more
Mik Hetu
Feb 19, 2013 Mik Hetu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A 16 year–old boy sails solo around the world in a 24–foot sailboat and is covered by National Geographic magazine in 3 installments over 5 years.

This is a powerful book! Let me explain:

Once, at a flea market, I was leafing through a compilation book of popular National Geographic stories, and flipping through the pages I immediately recognized a photo of young Robin Lee Graham on his little boat. The caption read something to the effect of “Through all the years of National Geographic magazi...more
Mik Hetu

This is a powerful book! Let me explain:

Kelly
A fun read. Adventure, love and optimism. Not the most well-written, but captivating and unique.

A boy of privilege has a once-in-a-lifetime voyage around the world. Totally unrepeatable in today's world, but remarkable for its time.

Great picture of natural childbirth at the end.... If only all pregnant woman spent their pregnancies surrounded with paradise, feasting on amazing wild food, and swimming everyday.

p. 141 "we were to discover that happiness has no frontiers, that it's a state of min...more
Little
What I liked about Dove is that Graham doesn't over-think or over-explain anything. There's a lot of boat and sailing terminology, and you can mostly figure things out from context even with zero background, but if you can't figure it out, Graham isn't holding your hand with definitions. The attitude of the book feels like "A bunch of explaining would bog things down; you can just look it up, thanks."

The stories are all sort of written that way, too. He spent 5 months on an island, he fished mo...more
Danna
This book came highly recommended to me by two young men in my life whose opinions I value. However, I could not muster the same passion for Dove, despite feeling I know why they loved it so much. Robert Graham sails out on his small and trusty sailboat, Dove, at age 16 with the audacious plan of traveling the globe. He is followed by newsmen and National Geographic, all anxious to see this young sailor accomplish the seemingly impossible.

Graham is not a natural writer, so his short story of 5 y...more
Mia
I read this book for the first time many years ago - as a mid-west girl who had never set eyes on an ocean, Robin Lee became the stuff my dreams were made of! What teen growing up in those troubled days didn't dream of leaving their parents behind & setting forth on a journey such as this?
I love the the story & that's what the 5 stars are for really - a boy just a few years older than than me with the guts to take his life into his own hands.
What I really wish, though, is that Robin wou...more
Summer
Nov 21, 2007 Summer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scaredy-cats and everyione else.
Oh, I loved this book. This was one of those books that I kind of forgot about and then one day I was working at the store and someone asked about and I got so excited that I completely lost my cool and talked to them about it for way longer than they were interested in hearing me speak. Then I ordered two copies -- one for them and one for me to re-read, because the one I read originally was someone else's and I knew I needed -- needed! -- to own it. One of the most un-affected, genuinely page-...more
Michelle
This was a later in life re-read for me. First read when I was about 16 myself, about to set out upon my own seas, so to speak. Kind of a different spin to read again as an adult with much of my life already lived out. I know it inspired me in my youth toward adventure and the desire to really *live* the days of my life. Re-reading it I realize I've lived pretty tamely compared to his globe-trotting standards... but then again 8 children, homeschooling and living with an adventurous man has brou...more
Amy Stapleton
Enjoyed reading this book while on a sailing vacation. It's interesting to see the difference between today's record-setting circumnavigations and Graham's journey. Today you don't get a record unless you sail solo NON-stop around the world, and to be the youngest you'd have to be ...what?, thirteen or something? Robin Graham's journey, by comparison, was like an extended vacation. I'm not downplaying what he accomplished. If I sailed around the world, I'd want to do it that way too. Stop and sm...more
Desiree
ever since i read this book in jr. high english class i've fantasized about buying a sailboat and taking a solo voyage around the world. i remember being whole-heartedly enthralled with this book when i was a teen, particularly with the part in the book in which the main character is docking his ship in ports in the galapagos islands... swimming in tide pools to pass the time and catching fish for dinner to survive. it's been so long since i read it that i'm not sure if it's one of those books t...more
Lahni
This book did make me wish I knew how to sail a boat so I could sail to wonderful exotic islands. But that would require living much closer to an ocean. The book had a few problems. I don't speak "sailing" so it would have been helpful if there was a glossary of nautical/sailing terms. Also, there was very little mention of Robin's mother. She wasn't very supportive of the trip at first did she change her mind? The father flew out to posts to see him but not the mother. If I set my child off to...more
Motherhouse
This is a non-fiction account of a young boy’s trip around the world in a small sailboat. He began his journey when he was sixteen in the late ‘60’s or early ‘70’s and by the time he finished he was quite a few years older and married and about to be a dad. Mr. Graham, seeing that school was not for Robin and that trying to keep him there would only ruin his son, supported him on this daring exploit of sailing around the world alone. I’ve read this book dozens of times since I was a young girl e...more
Douglas Larson
I read this many years ago and found it enthralling and captivating. A beautiful love story of a young man determined to sail around the world. He meets and marries a young woman during the voyage.
Dave
This book helped change my life. I read it almost 40 years ago and now I too am sailing around the world. Thanks for the catalyst Robin.
  • Maiden Voyage
  • The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst
  • My Old Man and the Sea
  • A Voyage for Madmen
  • The Walk West: A Walk Across America 2
  • Survive The Savage Sea (Sheridan House S.)
  • Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy, #2)
  • The Crisis of the Old Order 1919-33 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 1)
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea