Start by marking “Dove” as Want to Read:
Dove

Dove

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,971 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
In 1965, 16-year-old Robin Lee Graham began a solo around-the-world voyage from San Pedro, California, in a 24-foot sloop. Five years and 33,000 miles later, he returned to home port with a wife and daughter and enough extraordinary experiences to fill this bestselling book, Dove.
Paperback, 18th Printing, 199 pages
Published 1980 by Bantam Books, Inc. (first published June 1972)

Suzanne
Mar 06, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, biography, sailing
I will date myself and say I had a huge crush on this guy as a young girl with a birthday subscription to National Geographic. (He contributed articles for years during his voyage) What adolescent (and I wasn't quite there) doesn't fantasize about quitting school and finding himself by sailing around the world? When my children grew to his age I thought his family must have been just crazy to let him go, especially in a small 24 foot boat.
This was my first introduction to sailing, celestial na
Melinda
I got interested in this book because Zac Sunderland mentions it in his blog. See Zac's blog at http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/ind... . Zac is currently about 10 days from finishing a 13 month solo cruise around the world in a sail boat called "Intrepid", which will make him the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo! The story of Robin Lee Graham inspired him to think about doing the same thing himself.

More to come as I start the book.....

I have finished this book, and as of July 1
Lobeck
Jun 23, 2007 Lobeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the ocean, travelers
This is the true story of the author's solo sailing trip around the world. Robin Lee Graham, featured several times in National Geographic, set out to sail the world when he was 16 and finally returned home when he was 21. This book is his personal narrative of his travels - from being bored and lonely at sea to exploring gorgeous tropical islands to meeting his love Patty. It's a great book if you like to travel through literature.
Patricia  Ventola
I read it when I was a teen. I'd rather read it again, but at that time I felt like it was a fantastic book, a great and awesome history.
Steve Bennett
Oct 18, 2011 Steve Bennett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: High School English Teacher
Of the many bad books I was forced to read during high school, this was the worst. Absolutely hated it.
Shawn
Oct 24, 2007 Shawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An amazing feat - sailing single-hand around the world - but this guy rubbed me all wrong. Most galling was a long passage where he rails against the destruction of the ocean environment by modern society and then tosses an empty Coke bottle over the side of the boat.
Kevin Deaton
Jan 07, 2008 Kevin Deaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: desert-island, travel
One of my favorite books. An example of what you can do with your life once you stop all that God Damn THINKING and believe in yourself. It proves your dreams are only limited by your will.
Brent
boy drops out of school. boy buys boat. boy sails around the world. for a long time. why wasn't I this boy?

Denzil Pugh
May 25, 2012 Denzil Pugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Thoreau had lived during the 20th century, filled with materialism and media, I doubt he would have lived near Walden for any appreciable amount of time before going crazy, or having some developer come and tear down all the trees. In these days, he would have had to migrate north to Canada, or become next door neighbors with the militia groups in Montana.

Robin Lee Graham, in 1965, decided to sail around the world, in a sailboat, with little money, and with the rebellious attitude that preval
Michael Petrie
Jan 29, 2013 Michael Petrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the tender age of 16, Robin Lee Graham set out on a 33,000 mile, five year circumnavigation as the youngest solo sailor in the smallest boat: a 24 foot sloop named Dove. His voyage was famously covered by National Geographic Magazine, spawned two best selling books – Dove and Home Is The Sailor – as well as a children’s book, The Boy Who Sailed Around The World Alone, and a 1974 major Hollywood movie, The Dove, which won a Golden Globe Award. The story is more than one of adventure, it is als ...more
Emily
Jul 08, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ** rating does not mean that I think this book was terrible. It simply means that this was not my cup of tea (to quote the book). I would not have chosen this novel on my own, so the reason for me reading it was because of one of many summer reading projects that have been gleefully assigned as mandatory torture material by my future LA teacher. Yippee.
Please, if stories about ships and sailing or autobiographies about a person taking a five year long solo boat trip to circumnavigate the gl
Lahni
Nov 25, 2011 Lahni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book did make me wish I knew how to sail a boat so I could sail to wonderful exotic islands. But that would require living much closer to an ocean. The book had a few problems. I don't speak "sailing" so it would have been helpful if there was a glossary of nautical/sailing terms. Also, there was very little mention of Robin's mother. She wasn't very supportive of the trip at first did she change her mind? The father flew out to posts to see him but not the mother. If I set my child off to ...more
KC
Apr 27, 2008 KC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in sailing or world travel.
This was a real fun book and when reading it you seem to go on the adventure with him but at the same time conjure up your own dreams, hopes, desires too. I came upon it because my Dad had always talked about it and how it was a big inspiration for him as a youth. Robin Graham is very passionate, and it's really refreshing to go through great doubts, joys, and formative moments with him. He also has a way of putting feelings that are sometimes hard to describe into simple but powerful words. He ...more
Kami
Feb 26, 2008 Kami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the school library after reading a much better book, Adrift: 76 Days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan, which made me interested in sailing. I lost interest again after reading this book. To give it some credit, it was a pretty fascinating story. However, the kid was kind of annoying I thought. He also went all hippie and preachy at the end and that's where I was completely turned off.
Yak
May 30, 2007 Yak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greatest-hits
I read this when I was sailing with my family and not really enjoying it due to seasickness, but liking the mechanics of sailing and the idea of sailing to faraway places. "Dove" fits the bill, being a first-person account of a 16-year-old who sailed alone around the world. Plus it has that element of extreme personal challenge.
Suzy
Jul 02, 2008 Suzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more than an adventure, it's a journey into independance and self discovery. I read this book on the average of every two years, especially when I need a pick me up from the everyday mundane. I highly recommend it for ages early teen to adult.
Betsey
Mar 25, 2009 Betsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite I read every few years! great adventure, thoughts of being a teenager and ideas about growing up, with a love story mixed in. A must read!
Natashajay Caribe
THE book that planted the seed in my mind to one day live aboard a sailboat and travel around the world.
Jo
Sep 05, 2007 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction, biography, boats
This is a great example of a book I read as a teen that has stayed with me, and remained important.
Maya
Oct 30, 2016 Maya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dove, by Robin Lee Graham is a true story about the youngest boy to sail around the world alone in the 1960’s. This story shows the exciting adventures the narrator goes on as he is traveling the world. He discovers small tribes, animals that he has never seen before and of course, he falls in love. I really liked that the boy, Robin Lee Graham, wrote this story about himself. It gave more insight about him and his thoughts and emotions along his journey. Other than that, I felt like the way the ...more
Ery
May 25, 2016 Ery rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, travel
Dove, by Robin Lee Graham, should be subtitled An Ode to Patti: A Love Story. As it is, the blurb under the title says "He sailed around the world ... alone", which isn't quite true. It also misleads you into thinking it'll be stories about his travels, anecdotes, discussions of the peoples he met. I picked it up in Archives Fine Books because the Sailor has mentioned that particular book to me many times down the years, and here was a perfect opportunity to find out what he was talking about.

Gr
Heather
Nov 20, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My podiatrist recommended this book to me and I'm so glad he did. It was a quick read about a remarkable 16 year old who set out to sail the world. The book is written with the naïveté of someone who is growing up in the world yet charming and adventurous.
Sam Maxwell
Jan 05, 2017 Sam Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book, all about finding what makes you happiest and defining your own success. In an era where kids were to grow up and work in an office, instead of outdoors.
Malcom Kavaloski
Oct 12, 2016 Malcom Kavaloski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this memoir because it is a true story. During the time this happened (1960's) people were dealing with the cold war and things were tense, he decided to go out and live his american dream. So far in the story he has ran away and sailed from California alone in a storm and washed up in Hawaii in the morning. This inspired him to take it one step farther and go around the world. I like the intensity of the book and being able to hear it in his own words. I think it is very impressiv ...more
Andy
Dec 29, 2016 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's a Quimby!"
Jeff
Feb 23, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read about Robin Lee Graham journey in National Geographic. As a kid, in the late 60s and early 70s, his story of sailing around the world excited my imagination and opened my mind to the possibilities that had previously not existed. Recently, in reading Unsinkable, the story of Abby Sunderland attempt to sail solo and no-stop around the world, I thought about Grahamâs story and was reminded that in addition to the three National Geographic articles, heâd written a book. I ordered a use ...more
Mik Hetu
Feb 19, 2013 Mik Hetu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 16 year–old boy sails solo around the world in a 24–foot sailboat and is covered by National Geographic magazine in 3 installments over 5 years.

This is a powerful book! Let me explain:

Once, at a flea market, I was leafing through a compilation book of popular National Geographic stories, and flipping through the pages I immediately recognized a photo of young Robin Lee Graham on his little boat. The caption read something to the effect of “Through all the years of National Geographic magaz
Mik Hetu
Feb 19, 2013 Mik Hetu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone

This is a powerful book! Let me explain:

Katey
Sep 23, 2016 Katey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
This is an amazing true story of a boy's solo travels around the world in a little sailboat--it made me want to sail around the world and move to the South Pacific, the Galapagos, South Africa, and many other amazing places where he got to spend weeks or months just exploring and enjoying.
Noah Canel
Dove, by Robin Lee Graham is an amazing true story about the youngest boy to sail around the world alone. Robin was passionate about boats ever since his childhood and it had always been his dream to sail around the world. After almost risking his life trying to sail across the ocean in a tin boat with his friends, his dad decided it was time to up size his boat. The boat that his father purchased for him was named Dove, hence the name of the book.

Soon after Dove left the habor with 16 year old
  • The River Queen: A Memoir
  • Sailing Alone around the World
  • North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic

“Life would be pretty monotonous if the sky was always blue.” 3 likes
“happiness has no frontiers, that it’s a state of mind and not a possession, not a set route through life, not a goal to be gained but something that steals in gently like an evening mist or the morning sunlight—something beyond our control.” 1 likes