Start by marking “Aegean Dream” as Want to Read:
Aegean Dream

Aegean Dream

A TRUE STORY SET ON THE ACTUAL 'MAMMA MIA! ISLAND OF SKOPELOS

In November 2006, Linda and Dario gamble everything on their dream-a new life on the tiny Greek island of Skopelos. They've studied Greek, done their research, and have a simple goal: to set up a small natural cosmetics business and live happily ever after. But the Greek Gods have other ideas, and before long th
Published July 15th 2011 by Panverse Publishing (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Aegean Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aegean Dream

Julie
There are moments of pure magic in every life, glimpses of beauty no grief can tarnish, that live on in the sheltered niches and alcoves of memory. This was one of ours. Remember these places and their treasures, that you may find your way there whenever the darkness of the world presses too close.
~ Dario Ciriello, recounting a night swim in the Aegean, surrounded by bioluminescent plankton.

This quote comes late in Aegean Dream, Dario's story of the year he and his wife, Linda, spent on the tin
Regina Lindsey
Aug 09, 2014 Regina Lindsey rated it really liked it
Aegean Dream by Dario Ciriello
4 stars

Who hasn't dreamed of selling out and running away to live in your dream vacation spot? That is exactly what Dario and Linda decide to do. Dario is British born and married to Linda. The two lived in California and had a lifestyle that afforded them to own a home and travel abroad frequently for vacation. In addition to loving Greece, with Dario's background he dreamed of fleeing "stifling" American values and wanted to get to a cradle to grave system. They s
Bonnie Randall
Feb 21, 2013 Bonnie Randall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
"Every Eden comes with snakes," says Ciriello and this could easily be the tag-line for Aegean Dream, a memoir of an emigration odyssey knocked to its knees by a bureaucracy designed, it seems, to keep foreigners endlessly chasing their tails (and spending their money). The red flags start out small for Dario and Linda, AG's impossible-to-not-love, real-life heroes, yet said flags are certainly visible, and, traveling with them through their story, one wonders why they didn't head for the neares ...more
Andrea Cunningham
Feb 09, 2013 Andrea Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Dario Ciriello does it again and this time it's a true story! I read "Sutherland's Rules" first and was captivated by his story-telling. "Aegean Dream" details the triumph, trials and decision-making skills that are necessary to have in order to move to another country. That's it in a nut-shell.

The other part is the emotional roller-coaster that this book provides. I had to take "breaks" a few times because the foreshadowing was so intense that I knew how the story was going to end...and I didn
Jon
Nov 04, 2013 Jon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, panverse
Wow...hold on, formalities first...

I'm on the Panverse street team, which means I read alot and have found a way to weasel free ebooks. ;) I'd burned through all of the latest releases, so Mr. Ciriello was nice enough to send me a couple of Panverse's back catalog, including Aegean Dream.

Anyhow! Non-fiction and I have a rocky relationship, mainly because I started reading stuff like Heinlein, L'Amour, and Brooks by the time I was 10. I blame my parents for reading quality fiction and extremely s
Wendy
Oct 16, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I probably would not have picked up this book if Dario were not a friend and Clarion West workshop classmate of mine. "Americans go and live abroad and learn life lessons" stories have become a genre of their own in recent years, and I tend to expect them to be a bit sentimental and pat. (I should note that Dario is not technically American, being Italian by heritage and British by birth, but I'd be proud to call him my countryman any day.)

However, I'm really glad that I picked up this book, be
Paula Weisberger
Apr 18, 2013 Paula Weisberger rated it liked it
Shelves: travel-memoir
Some of my favorite books are the give-it-all-up-and-move-to-a-foreign-country books. Only the third book I've read about Greece. The couple really presented a nuts and bolts story of making a move like this happen. I enjoyed hearing about the interesting meals, the seasonal happenings, the eccentric neighbors, the rhythms of daily life, etc., i felt the ending was rushed, and didn't really buy the quick decisions made at the end...
Tim
Jan 25, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
I loved this! It was written by my friend Dario and was such an amazing mix of bitter and sweet, as they chased their dream of living on Skopelos in Greece.
I think Dario was very fair to himself, his adorable wife and to the good and bad of the Greeks. What an amazing experience, and what a story. Read it!
Julie
Feb 11, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing

A funny. moving, exasperating and delightful account of Dario and Linda's time in Greece. This brought back so many memories of how wonderful Greece and Greeks can be and how infuriating their bureaucracy. I laughed and cried and was transported back to the land I love. A great read and the sadness when they leave is palpable.
Edith
Jul 07, 2013 Edith rated it it was amazing
Loved the honesty, the story, the descriptions of beautiful settings and friendships and the passion for life that set this adventure in motion. Surprised and saddened by how things that have been planned and thought through can go sideways so quickly. Resiliency in the face of adversity is exemplified.
Judy
Mar 25, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book.
David Watson
Dec 15, 2015 David Watson rated it it was amazing
Would you be willing to leave the security of your every day life for the chance to make your dream come true? Dario and his wife Linda did just that when they decided to leave behind the financial security they had and live on a Greek island. Many of us have gone on vacation and thought how great it would be to live there. Aegean Dream by Dario Ciriello is the story of two people brave enough to turn a dream into reality.

I was hooked on this book from the start. In the beginning you hear Dario
Margaret Fisk
Oct 01, 2011 Margaret Fisk rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Dario is a BayCon friend of mine, but this year I learned we had something else in common: a love for, and some time in residence in, Greece. Though I never did get the chance to give him one of the limonadas I happened to have with me, a lemon soda I fell in love with as a kid in Paros, he did end up giving me a copy of his memoir to review, a process that transported me into my past with every vivid word.

Memoirs require a tricky balance between fact and organization. Life doesn’t come with the
Aidan
Dec 04, 2011 Aidan rated it really liked it
Dreams are easy. Turning them into reality takes a brave soul and plenty of work. Aegean Dream follows the bravery and hard work necessary to make dreams reality. A book about the expat dream set in a seaside Aegean village. The book captures the challenges of expat living and brings us along with Dario and Linda as they experience the highs and lows of making a home in their new country: bridging the language and culture gap, establishing new jobs, and battling with the bureaucracy of their new ...more
Lynette Aspey
Feb 06, 2012 Lynette Aspey rated it really liked it
I recall being very excited for my friends Dario and Linda,when they decided to chart a tangential course in life, leaving their professional careers in the US to pursue an independent, sustainable life-style on the Greek island of Skopelos. I knew that they had the energy and drive to make it work...

..they just hadn't bargained on the Greek bureaucracy.

Dario describes their year in Greece as “Comic, tragic … a story of love and friendship”. It is this, and more. “Aegean Dream” is a wonderfully
Samuel
While the first edition printing here does have an assortment of typos and formatting quirks here and there, it's still quite an account of (trying?) to move to, live, and work on a small island in Greece. Even as a EU citizen, Dario has so many hoops to jump through, so many barriers to these simple three things. The book employs a variety of techniques, from short chapters to longer ones, blog posts and letters, as well as selected photographs. Comic at times, both funnily and darkly, as well ...more
Mark Kavanagh
Jul 13, 2012 Mark Kavanagh rated it really liked it
Having considered a move from the UK to Greece, and having friends who live in Create, I've read a fair number of 'We gave it all up to live the dream' books. This is perhaps one of the most honest of the bunch following the roller-coaster of emotions that any such adventure would bring, but made more difficult by the battle with legendary Greek beurocracy. Add to that the timing - just before the economic melt down, and Dario and his partner faced a perfect storm of problems.
This is a great rea
Emily Sandoval
Aug 24, 2012 Emily Sandoval rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
I'm not much for travel memoirs, but for fans of the genre, and especially for people who are thinking of moving to a foreign country, this is definitely worth a read. I've never been to Greece, but the imagery was so evocative, I could almost imagine I was there. At the same time, the recounting of Dario and Linda's battle against the Greek bureaucracy had me wincing in sympathy. It did feel a bit overlong—perhaps sticking too close to the truth, as real life doesn't come in a nice, perfectly-p ...more
Dave
Jun 26, 2013 Dave rated it liked it
Wow! I finished a book in less than three weeks--unheard of!

Not a great book, but one I enjoyed because it reminded me so much of the very frustrating trials we experienced living in the Greek culture as we did in 1982-1985. I might have given this a fourth star had it been written with fewer profanites/vulgarities.
Felicity
Jun 02, 2012 Felicity rated it really liked it
Well-written, if chilling, account of a couple's abortive attempt to settle in Greece - and that was before the current crisis... The islanders were just as lovely as the Greek people I know and I marvelled at Dario and Linda's resilience, not to mention their determination not to be typical ex-pats. made me want to visit Skopelos - SOON!
Tracie Chapple
Jan 19, 2013 Tracie Chapple rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
A brilliant book. So well written & thoroughly absorbing. Having been to Skopelos I can picture the scenes. Also having moved from the UK to USA I can really identify with the whole red tape aspect!
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Joanna Fay
Joanna Fay rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Carol Stevens
Carol Stevens rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Sara Alexi
Sara Alexi rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2013
Mark Horowitz
Mark Horowitz rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Melpomene
Melpomene rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
April
April rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dario Ciriello is a professional author and freelance editor, as well as the founder of Panverse Publishing.

His first novel, "Sutherland's Rules", a crime caper/thriller with a shimmer of the fantastic, was published in 2013. "Free Verse and Other Stories", a collection of Dario's short Science Fiction work, was released in June 2014.

Dario's new novel, a supernatural suspense thriller titled "Bla
More about Dario Ciriello...

“in a dinner at our house that weekend.” 0 likes