Start by marking “The Legend of Witch Bane” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Witch Bane

The Legend of Witch Bane (Witch Bane Saga #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  47 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Three children embark on an epic journey to save their kingdom...

High Queen Rhiannon Eldess has placed the kingdom of Kaldan under a terrible curse. Only Kòdobos, Anyr, and Laris can save their people from a dark fate. Danger awaits the children as they face the queen's evil minions in their desperate quest to save their kingdom.

To gain final victory the children must find
ebook
Published August 9th 2011 by Smashwords Edition (first published January 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Witch Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Witch Bane

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside)
It's been a long time since I've read a midgrade or young adult novel this complex and carefully planned. The Legend of Witch Bane takes its inspiration from old-school fairy tales -- the German kind, the Russian kind -- the real kind, where unspeakably bad things happen to children, where the stakes are higher than just winning the prince's kiss as in the Disneyfied versions recent generations have come to know. In the rich world and characters of Hendrickson's work, fans of real fairy tales wi ...more
Diane Wright
Mar 12, 2009 Diane Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Witch Bane
A Review by Diane Wright

The writing style of Kevin Hendrickson is reminiscent of Mark Twain for a younger generation. Comfortable and friendly, this reader felt as if she was sitting on the couch in her pajamas, being told a story before bedtime. Being completely caught up in the tale I did not put it down from the first page until the last.

The message of the book for me, for it does contain many, could be summed up in words of the future image of Kodobos self in the cav
Vincent Hobbes
Dec 10, 2010 Vincent Hobbes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I’m a skeptic of Fantasy.
I’m more of a skeptic of Young Adult novels.
Therefore, I was doubly skeptical of this book.

Plotline can be read in other reviews—in a nutshell, it is a story of three siblings who must save their kingdom.
A classic fantasy theme.
Sounds cliché, doesn’t it?

Mr. Hendrickson pulled it off. The Legend of Witch Bane is a fairy tale written in a welcoming manner. It is suitable for all ages. The story has action and adventure—a solid plot and memorable characters.

Kodobos, Laris,
Premierbookreviewsdotcom
The Legend of Witch Bane follows 3 small, unlikely heroes as they struggle against evil to save their parents and their country. Kodobos, Anyr, and Laris are the young heroes who travel far from home to recover a mighty weapon that can defeat the evil Queen Rhiannon Eldess.

In a style reminiscent of J.R.R. Tolkien, author Kevis Hendrickson weaves a masterful narration sensitive to a young audience yet engaging for adults to read. I think he is an author to watch especially if he can catch the eye
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy has been my favorite genre for about 30 years. I love a good adventure story with a lot of fighting and a pilgrimage to save a kingdom from an evil mage, or something. The Legend of Witch Bane is this type of story and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The three children are wonderfully written and Rhiannon is bad enough to be considered greedy for power, but not so evil that you cannot stand her. The few illustrations in the book by Karen Petrasko are wonderful. It makes me wonder why they picked
Beth A Horsch
Apr 01, 2009 Beth A Horsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!! This book is a very fun read, with a cast of very interesting characters. It is action packed, and moves along at a fast pace (it never lets you get bored). It is a wonderful story about the power of love and the strength that we have if we believe in ourselves.

This may be aimed toward young adults, but it is a wonderful light reads for adults as well. I am looking forward to the sequel.
Melanie
Told in classical fairy tale tone and format, “The Legend of Witch Bane” follows three children--Anyr, Kodobos and Laris--in their quest to save their kingdom from the spell of the evil High Queen Rhiannon.

The children travel through lands of werewolves, talking plants, and trolls, and along the way come upon the magical sword Witch Bane. Kodobos is the lynchpin of the story, and he must ultimately learn that no weapon is more powerful than the belief in oneself.

An epic tale with feel good mora
Marise Ghorayeb
Jan 31, 2009 Marise Ghorayeb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an exceptional and thrilling tale about three very young children thrown into a very harsh reality. "The Legend of Witch Bane" is exceptional especially in Kevis Hendrickson's use of a child's fairy tale narrative voice to tell a very dark and hopeful story. The whit, humor, creative solutions and mystical creatures clashed in an effective and interesting way with the bitter conditions and overwhelmings odds that the children of Witch Bane were faced with.
I could not get over how rapid
Clare K. R.
Aug 09, 2012 Clare K. R. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the Kindle sample of this book, but it was pretty obnoxious. It started with praise for the book. Now I don't know about everyone else, but when I read a Kindle sample, it's because I'm already interested in the book. In any case, praise might get me interested, but the only thing that's going to get me to buy a book is the writing. Starting out with praise seemed like a big warning flag--"this book isn't worth your time." Even after the praise was over, there were several pages of o ...more
Jess Scott
Aug 30, 2009 Jess Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The children face inner conflict(s) which adolescent readers and younger children would be able to identify with. The conflicts include the interactions between the three siblings, which I thought made for one of the most interesting components of the story (sibling rivalry/the whole 'so-are-you-on-my-side-or-not?' strife/tension).

I've taught young readers before (when I was a participant in a couple of buddy reading programs, and later as a private English/creative writing tutor) - I believe TH
Tom Hansen
Jaime
Jun 15, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads, reviewed
I was very pleased with this book. I am not a big fantasy reader, but saw this on my husband's nightstand and thought it sounded good. I am a big fan of young adult/children novels, and this one was great! Love and bravery are everywhere in this book, and I think it sends an outstanding message to children and adults. Plus, the author's voice is excellent, he is a great story-teller.

The story follows Kodobos and Anyr as they go on a quest to save their kingdom. I had to constantly remind myself
Tami
May 31, 2010 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you trust in yourself and stay true to who you really are, you can accomplish just about anything. But, if you slip, even for a moment, the results could be equally disastrous. There is more at stake here than meets the eye.

Thus is the warning for three young siblings. The oldest, Laris, is a half sister with a mysterious past and powerful secrets that could destroy them all. Kodobos is the headstrong brother who will someday rule the land but first he has to find his own inner strength. Fin
C.S.
Apr 08, 2009 C.S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I must confess that my taste in fantasy is limited. This has resulted in my getting through perhaps the first three or four chapters of a book before placing it back on the shelf to be forgotten. There are many, many books on that shelf. Once in a while, though, I find one that I can truly enjoy. Those books are placed on a different shelf; the one that holds my Tolkien collection, my copies of `Watership Down,' `Wind in the Willows,' and `The Complete Calvin and Hobbes' (my book collecti ...more
D.M. Dutcher
2.5 stars. A blend of fairy tales and epic fantasy that probably should have chosen to be one or the other.

Kodobos, Anyr, and Laris are three royal children. Their kingdom is under thrall to the evil sorceror-queen Rhiannon, who demands tribute of the kingdom in the form of ten of its youngest girls. Anya is chosen, and her rescue sets off a long chain of events that will lead to tragedy for the children and victory over the evil queen and the powers behind her.

It starts off well, as I have des
Misty Baker
Jan 06, 2012 Misty Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy Thursday everyone! I’m going to deviate a little from the norm today, but only slightly. For those of you that have been following me for a while now you know that I am an advocate for children’s literacy. I think that children and teens can learn more than just HOW to read by picking up a book, but also how to LIVE. Each Thursday I recommend a book for the slightly older kids in your life and this Thursday is no different, only this time, instead of just posting the synopsis for the book ...more
Kate Flynn
The Legend of Witch Bane follows the three siblings on their journey to save their parents and the Kingdom. The Kingdom fell under a spell that did not affect the three kids. Along the way they grow up in the face of the harsh reality.
Mr. Hendrickson's writing reminded me of certain classics. There was also bits of fairy tales sprinkled in places, between people falling into a deep sleep, a comment made about pricking the finger and going into an eternal sleep, magical golden hair, red riding ca
Diane Giurco
Jun 07, 2009 Diane Giurco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Fantasy Book,The Legend of Witch Bane is an incredible fantasy read. It will capture your attention from the first page to the last. This is brilliant creative writing at its best. With Mr. Hendrickson’s descriptive writing, you can clearly envision every page.

This story is about three siblings that must go on a quest to save their kingdom. On this quest, they encounter trolls, dragons, wizards, werewolves, giants, and more. The story is about sibling rivalry, love, power, commitment, p
Lianna Vigil
Jun 24, 2009 Lianna Vigil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a thoroughly enjoyable children's fantasy book that could be loved by all ages. The traditional story was enchanting and if you enjoyed books like the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe you should check this out. If you crave stories with a magic spell, an enchanted sword and three children who must save the kingdom you are sure to adore this book. The story and characters are bittersweet and I look forward to more books in this series and more by this author.

The book had an added bonus o
Jessica(WonderlandReviews)
This was one of those books that made me wish that I had children. So I could tuck them in and sit before a fire, a dog at my feet sleeping while I read this book to them.
It made me think of someone reading a tale to me aloud, the way my grandmother did. It was created in a way that felt as if it was just a story being passed down they way they use to before books. Through good old story telling.

I liked how there was more then one fairy tale incorporated through this if you know where to look an
Tiffany
Mar 01, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first that struck me about this book was the Grimm's Fairy Tale narration style of the book. It took some getting used to, but it grew on me. I loved the characters relating to the world of fairy and crossing over into Norse Mythology. It was good fun traveling along with the three children to solve the curse of their kingdom. I felt I was 13 again playing D & D again. I think kids will enjoy this, and some adults too, esp. if they've played a few role playing games.
tomlinton
in this long kid's book
which violates the rule
don't tell 'em what happened
describe the action
If you were really reading it
with a child
you might want to stop and ask
What happened when he did that?
and let the child describe
what he could see in his imagination
But
it would be over and over
Georgiann Hennelly
A fantastic read the story follows 3 small heros as they struggle against evil to save their to save their country and their parents. The siblings must go on a quest to recover a weapon that can defeat the evil sorceror queen. They encounter dragons, werewolves, trolls , wizards and much more. A fantastic read for young or old.
Kate
When I started reading it I thought it was just going to be another Harry Potter rip-off. But it wasn't. It was very unique and was very well written. A quick read and very entertaining. I love the artwork that shows up every once in a while!
JasonH
Jul 07, 2012 JasonH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
borrowed a copy from my business partner. fantasy isnt my cup of tea but this book was wonderful. i am now planning on reading it to my children.
Rita Webb
Jun 02, 2011 Rita Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, read-in-2010
Actually a 3.5 rounded up to a 4. This book is a children's adventure--witty, exciting, and full of fun.
Edetha
Edetha marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Jeannette Lust
Jeannette Lust marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta
  • The Time Cavern
  • The Lost Secret of Fairies (The Crystal Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Mighty Hammer Down
  • The Hourglass of Souls (Max and the Gatekeeper Book II)
  • Ravenshade (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is #3)
  • The Endlands (Volume 1)
  • Unlocked: Ten Key Tales
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • The Crown of Anavrea
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • Under A Blood Moon (The Alex Hayden Chronicles, #1)
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • The Book of Nonsense (Forbidden Books 1)
  • Constellation Chronicles: The Lost Civilization of Aries
  • The Cutting Room: Episode I
  • The Enchanted Castle (Shioni of Sheba, #1)
Kevis Hendrickson is the author of eight Science Fiction and Fantasy novels, including The Legend of Witch Bane and the Rogue Hunter series. His second novel Rogue Hunter: Quest of the Hunter won the Red Adept Annual Indie Award (2010) for 'Top Science Fiction'. His most recent novel is Rogue Hunter: Valor. The sixth book in the series, Rogue Hunter: Death Moon, is scheduled for release in 2017. H ...more
More about Kevis Hendrickson...

Witch Bane Saga (2 books)
  • Untitled Witch Bane Novel