Start by marking “Kitschy Crafts: A Celebration of Overlooked 20th-Century Crafts” as Want to Read:
Kitschy Crafts: A Celebration of Overlooked 20th-Century Crafts

Kitschy Crafts: A Celebration of Overlooked 20th-Century Crafts

It's fun, it's retro—and it's back in style. Take a fond look back at the kitschy crafts of the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, from crocheted doilies to shell-art nightlights. All these nostalgic creations appear in appropriately fashioned period settings that will captivate browsers, and come with instructions for those who just can’t resist creating their own string-art pi ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Sterling/Chapelle

To ask other readers questions about Kitschy Crafts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitschy Crafts

Melki
Sep 30, 2011 Melki rated it liked it
A fun trip down memory lane, rather than a how-to book. Packed with pictures of items that probably still decorate your granny's house -
doilies, paint-by-numbers, string art, crocheted toilet paper covers, macrame plant hangers and latch-hooked wall hangings. I can't tell you how much of this stuff I've cranked out over the years. The only thing missing was those bizarre Christmas trees my mother's church friends used to make by folding copies of the Reader's Digest and spray painting them gold.
Susan
Apr 18, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
This book reminds me of all those lost projects that used to be in vogue way back when. Some things are really awesome, others you wouldn't want them within 10 miles of your house. But however you feel about them, it is a wonderful reminder of those long ago crafts people used to make and enjoy.

The graphics are just wonderful, reminiscent of all those 50s/60s advertisements. And it is a short book which can be browsed through in an hour or two.

This being said, I wish the author had included mor
Melissa
Jun 19, 2007 Melissa rated it it was ok
i really liked the look of this book. i am a sucker for vintage ads, still life photos of vintage stuff and saturated colors. i will keep it on my book shelf as eye candy.

i did not enjoy reading the book. the copy seems like it was written by a middle aged man that has never crafted before. the projects are a mish mash-from great 40s-50s embroidery to a lame capri sun pouch tote bag and extremely labor intensive resin grapes.
the chapters aren't cleanly laid out. there are chapters for crochet a
Jodi
Feb 20, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it
Hahahahahaha!!! I loved this book and not justbecause I got it for $3 at Half-Price books. It is just sooo funny to not only read about the funky crafts that I remember seeing in various relatives' homes, but the tongue-in-cheek writing, the awesome vintage illustrations, and the hilarious captions all serve to make me smile. If I ever feel down, I will know exactly where to go to get a lift. I need to pick up another one of these for my sister-in-law who will love it as much as I do.
Rhiana
Sep 04, 2009 Rhiana rated it it was ok
So you know all of those patterns and projects that everyone has been into lately? The Vintage Retro cute stuff? These are all of the OTHER ones. The vintage retro ones that were so ugly during their day that people have been trying to forget them for decades...
Except the sock monkey. There is a sock monkey, and he is great, as all sock monkeys are.
Peacegal
Mar 04, 2010 Peacegal rated it really liked it
What a fun book. This is a celebration of "retro" crafts from latch-hook to macramé. The illustrations, gleaned from Jet Age-era advertisements, were what really caught my eye. They'll delight any retro fan, even if you don't plan on making crafts. I've decided to make two of the easier crafts: a plant hanger and a candleholder.
Oct 12, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a book full of crafts and clear instructions on how to do them, this book is not it. However, if you want an amusing walk down memory lane, with a few crafts thrown in, then this book is it. I LOVE the old photos and ads - it was great fun to look at.
Jennifer Perkins
Well I don't really have projects in here but I recently discovered my living room and bathroom were pictured.
Alex
Feb 02, 2014 Alex rated it it was ok
Cute aesthetics with lots of period artwork, advertising and lists, but ultimately very little actual crafting I was interested in.
Donna
Sep 18, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
LOVED it very nastalgic
Krista
Jul 05, 2011 Krista rated it liked it
Entertaining, but thought that it would be more of an instructional book. Disappointed that the best crafts had no instructions.
Debie
Aug 08, 2008 Debie rated it liked it
Some fun projects in here. Most I could do without. I love kitsch but some of those things had to go. Great instructions on everything.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2008
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2008
Susan Byrne
Susan Byrne rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Stefanie Girard
Stefanie Girard rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Diane Shepard
Diane Shepard rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Lacey
Lacey rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Celia
Celia rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2008
Hollis
Hollis rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2009
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
R. Bonne
R. Bonne rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2016
Mint
Mint rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2010
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2009
electrajoy
electrajoy rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Bthrifty
Bthrifty rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015