Start by marking “Werwelt” as Want to Read:
Werwelt

Werwelt (Book of the Beast Trilogy #1)

Du weißt, was es nicht ist, aber DU WEISST NICHT, was es ist -

Ein goldener Bär, eine riesige Katze, ein übermenschliches wesen, das deinen Willen beherrscht.

DAS TIER OHNE NAMEN
Wie kam es in diese neue, unvertraute Welt, wie sollte es ihre Bewohner je verstehen?
Dann traf es auf den Findling Robert - und verwandelte sich.
Endlich schien so etwas wie Begreifen möglich ...
Published October 1986 by Goldmann (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Werwelt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Werwelt

Marvin
Jun 07, 2012 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Stallman has something in common with Stieg Larsson. Like the author of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stallman sold three books of what is known as The Book of the Beast trilogy but died before publication of any of them. Unfortunately, Stallman's estate didn't reap the reward the the Larsson estate did, The Orphan being the first, is largely forgotten. It's an interesting take on the shapeshifter theme featuring a boy with unusual gifts living with a mid-west rural family. Nicely writ ...more
Richard
Mar 06, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of finding the whole trilogy in my local bookstore. Having never heard of the author I was skeptical about the story. Everyone maintains that this book is about a 'were-wolf' but that just scratches the surface. What Robert, our protagonist, is really experiencing is a Jekyll and Hyde situation, because his duality is at odds with each other. The whole story, while not very complicated, is really easier to understand once you have read all three books. The most memorable part ...more
Jay Michaelson
Jan 28, 2015 Jay Michaelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone savvy enough to enjoy good literature.
Honestly, one of the best books I've read in many, many years. It's so good, I feel foolish for not having read it before.

[I don't think this counts as a spoiler, given it is more of a correction: this is NOT a book about a werewolf.]

I don't often use the words "evocative prose" unless I'm referring to Nabokov, Updike, Joyce, Dylan Thomas or the like, so my use of them here should mean something: Robert Lester Stallman writes prose I'd compare to the masters of it.

The story itself is fantastic.

T
Mark Rigney
May 28, 2015 Mark Rigney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lost book, proof positive that the cream does not always rise to the top (and this despite a Nebula nomination).

I met this book (or it met me) when I was twelve. I devoured it, as it proceeded to devour me for the next thirty-five years. Having just rediscovered and reread it, I can say the following: it's subversive, poetic, violent, sensual, and chock-full of longing. Its period details feel spot on, and it exists as horror or sci-fi only at the margins, for what stays with me (then and now
John Spencer
Jul 02, 2015 John Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read this when I was about 14 —around the same time I discovered the masterful Gene Wolfe.

Without doubt this first "book of the beast" hooked me from the very start and the entire trilogy (comprised of —this book, The Captive and The Beast) is mesmeric.

It was only years later, with the onset of the internet, that I learned more about author Robert Stallman. One wonders what genius Stallman might have produced if he were still with us today.

Mark R's comments below hit the nail on the head; "su
Antony Castellano
The werewolf is a creature of the night, a solitary, fur-covered thing. A wild-eyed, five clawed beast with a taste for blood and the soft crunch of bone between the teeth. But as little Robert, the werewolf has been adopted by a kindly farmer and his wife. Neither Robert nor the monster could control the shifting of its form, and always, the emerged beast lurked within, ready to spring for the throat
Angela
Aug 30, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
This was an enjoyable read. It was pretty much a page turner though there were several stretches where I was asking myself "What is the point of this book? Is there even a plot? Oh, now he's just digging for word count."

Maybe I liked it so much because it reminds me of Dissociative Identity Disorder.

And then came the end. The PIECE OF SHIT ending.

I'm not so sure I want to read the following 2 books.
Bob Rust
Sep 03, 2016 Bob Rust rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Orphan (1980), The Captive (1981) and The Beast (1982). The books are complex, sensitively written fabulations, fitting between the generic borders of sf and Horror, and update the myth of the Werewolf with the sf premise that they are a chrysalis form of Extraterrestrial life; when two mate they will trigger a new phase in their life-cycle.
Courtney
Mar 16, 2007 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction
Good first novel of a trilogy about a young, orphaned shapeshifter who is adopted by a farm family and must learn to live in a human body. The narrator is the "beast" - its consciousness is separate from that of the human boy. Interesting conceit.
Martin Böhler
Martin Böhler rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Neil
Neil rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2009
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2009
Chance
Chance rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Ksenia
Ksenia rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Dono Cunningham
Dono Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
Eldorankin
Eldorankin rated it did not like it
May 16, 2011
Larry Donnell
Larry Donnell rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2011
Sean Montague
Sean Montague rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Lateniteknitter
Lateniteknitter rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2012
Steve Staab
Steve Staab rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2017
Joe Kuth
Joe Kuth rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2010
Dirk
Dirk rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Norman Cook
Norman Cook rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Nicolette
Nicolette rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2013
Ironbear
Ironbear rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2009
Lew
Lew rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Ridouan
Ridouan rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Beryll Brackhaus
Beryll Brackhaus rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

Book of the Beast Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Captive