Start by marking “Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course” as Want to Read:
Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course

Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  2,184 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
An illustrated version of Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course, this book offers instructions that are clear, comprehensive, and pretty near infallible. The text is accompanied by a wide range of illustrations.
Published December 1st 1999 by BBC Books (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course

D Cox
Aug 03, 2012 D Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-cookery-books
A good book. I tend to think her recipes are a bit more fussy than they need to be. But these work very well. I don't think it could be my sole recipe book but it's certainly full of fail proof classics. Not had it long but already used it often. Seems to be a book for many of those foods you ate as a child...did everyone have this book?

Ragout bolognaise...uses chicken livers (60p for 6 which is enough for two batches!) and 175g of beef mince.
I made this and fed it to the family who were amazed
Wanderlust
Sep 25, 2012 Wanderlust rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Wanderlust by: my mum
Almost every time i am unsure of what to make for dinner i look in my fridge and then i look in this book. I did this just over an hour ago and decide on Roast Chicken & stuffing served with potatoes boulangere.

I was given this book by my mother when i first left home, it has helped me countless times since then. I honestly credit half of my cooking skills to Delia. I wouldn't have even a speck of kitchen confidence if i had not read this book.

Here's to you Delia, thank you for making me a
Rebecca
Jan 21, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite literally the taste of my mum's home cooking. She learnt to cook from it when first maried and while the recipes aren't the most fashionable today they are very reliable and to me very nostalgic. The recipes are so easy to follow and there are so many of them! As an added bonus, ingredients that were a bit exotic when Delia wrote this are now totally everyday, so there aren't any madening chases for ingredients... infact you might not even need to go out shopping because we ...more
Mags
Apr 17, 2012 Mags rated it it was amazing
got click happy on Delia and clicked the non-illustrated one.
The illustrated one is the one I have and it's my bible.
If I want to know how to do, well anything really, this is the first place I look.
Becca Watt
Nov 05, 2012 Becca Watt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The woman is a cookery goddess. I have never ever followed a Delia recipe that has gone wrong- my personal fave's are the banoffee cheesecake and minestrone soup. She does the classics so well and has a modern twist on some old favourites.
Sheena Lambert
Feb 03, 2013 Sheena Lambert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery-books
Whereas I would recommend the Ballymaloe Complete Cookery Course as the perfect gift for the more experienced cook, Delia's Complete Cookery Course is really the perfect housewarming gift for the newbie cook - it wold be a lovely wedding gift for example. I got mine from my beloved aunt, and I know I will have it, and refer to it, as long as I have a kitchen to cook in. It teaches all the basics, and whereas some of the recipes (and ingredients) in my edition are definitly dated, the basics are ...more
June Fletcher
Apr 19, 2013 June Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be my favourite recipe book. Having never learned to cook from my mother and going to a school where domestic science was not a school subject I did never learned to cook properly. I happened to watch one of her "How to Cook" series and was riveted. I managed to get someone to bring me a copy of this book from the U.K. and it is a constant source of reference. I would like to own a copy of the TV video series but have not been able to do so. She showed exactly how things are made ...more
David
Nov 20, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The comprehensive reference book for food enthusiasts. This woman is the British expert of long standing and her recipes are not faddish and are simple to follow. She even tells you how to boil an egg. I picked up a lot of tips like sticking a fork into jacket potatoes to puncture them, drenching them in olive oil then rubbing rock salt into the skin, before skewering them on metal blades to get the heat into the middle before putting them in the oven.
Sophia
Mar 25, 2012 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
A solid reference/recipe book. At the beginning of each section Delia educates the reader with the technical aspects of making pastry, cooking eggs (Delia suggests you weigh your eggs in order to cook them to your liking) , meats and so forth.

You know that Delia has triple-tested all her recipes so you are in safe hands.

My favourite recipes include her: apple sauce (for savoury dishes), her variations for fruit crumbles and the lemon surprise pudding.
12barbluez
Mar 17, 2010 12barbluez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
actually i have the hardback and its lost its cover cos i use it so much. but a great book with all the basics plus some more adventurous recipes. if you only could have one cookbook on your desert island this would be it................ provided there was a kitchen and piped gas on the island that is.
Rosminah
Apr 17, 2012 Rosminah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference guide for basic cooking, centric to British cuisine. It was a gift from an English friend who knew I was looking for a good Victoria Sponge recipe.
I would say that I like Delia's how to cook series, but this is good because it's compacted down into one book. And I have enough books as it is.
Kate
Mar 07, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
The cooking bible as far as I'm concerned, I use it all the time. A lot of the recipes are adaptable although it doesn't alyways come across like that, but lots of useful basic infor such as how long to cook different typs of meat/fish for, and lots of good every day recipes.
Heather
Oct 20, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cornerstone of anyone's cookery book shelf, well anyone that grew up in the era when Butterflies was on tv?! I got this for my 15th birthday and of all the cookery books I have read, has proved the most useful, perhaps not adventurous, but useful all the same!
RosieJo
Feb 09, 2014 RosieJo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The classic cookery book for our age. What I love about Delia is that her recipes always work, and she's a cook not a chef so no fancy terminology, wacky cooking methods or ingredients from the slopes of obscure mountain ranges. Just simple great tasting food. A must for all home cooks :)
Maggie
Feb 02, 2010 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutelylove Delia! I was never really interested in cooking - thanks to Delia I can make fab cakes, she makes it all so easy. You can forget your Jamie Olivers, Gordon Ramsey's etc - Delia any day! She deserves 10 stars!
Kerry Geddes
Jan 13, 2015 Kerry Geddes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have shelves full of cookery books but this is probably still the one I turn to the most - it has all the basics as well as most of the food and recipes I ate when growing up - it is also my mum's cooking bible!
John
Delia is a wonderful cook - but I wish her recipes were slightly more healthy. Everything is so fattening and full of cholestorol - yet it tastes divine.

This book is worth evey penny spent on it.
Andra
Sep 04, 2008 Andra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-home-library
This was a gift from my English mother-in-law. It's her own, well-loved/well-used copy. It's a must for any wife of a nice English boy or any anglophile in the kitchen.
Brenda
Aug 29, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only buy one cookery book, make it this one. Recipes as well tested, if you follow the instructions, they work. All the basics needed for cooking are there.
Jennifer Hamill
Apr 04, 2013 Jennifer Hamill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have used some of these recipes for years, her Hungarian goulash and chicken paprika being two of them.
Lynne Morgan
Oct 13, 2013 Lynne Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute must-have cookery book. I was given the book for Christmas in 1985 and it's been my constant companion ever since!
Mrs
Jul 29, 2016 Mrs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go to cookbook - fantastic beef stroganoff and best pancake recipe but it has everything. My copy is falling apart!
Clare
Jun 09, 2012 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must have in any kitchen...
Tracey
Feb 15, 2013 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can never go wrong with Delia's recipes.
Cheryl Pearce
Feb 21, 2014 Cheryl Pearce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
traditional cooking, easy to follow recipes, loved this book.
Arlette Wierenga
May 31, 2012 Arlette Wierenga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this cookbook!
UptownSinclair
Mar 09, 2008 UptownSinclair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delia is my homegirl.
nancykordouli
One day i am going to learn how to cook.

Gerry
May 15, 2012 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only cookbook you will ever need.
Lou Robinson
Oct 08, 2011 Lou Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have hundreds of cook books. But this is the one I always go back to in the end. Timeless.
  • Real Fast Food
  • The River Cottage Family Cookbook
  • English Food
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • The Naked Chef
  • Chinese Food Made Easy
  • Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook (Revised)
  • Bake
  • Roast Chicken and Other Stories
  • Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
  • Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • 50 Great Curries of India
Delia Smith CBE is an English cook and television presenter, known for teaching basic cookery skills in a no-nonsense style. She is the UK's best-selling cookery author, with more than 21 million copies sold.

Smith is also famous for her role as joint majority shareholder at Norwich City F.C. Her partner in the shareholding is her husband, Michael Wynn-Jones. Her role at the club has attracted vary
More about Delia Smith...