Start by marking “Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course: A New Edition for the 1990s” as Want to Read:
Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course: A New Edition for the 1990s

Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course: A New Edition for the 1990s

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,430 ratings  ·  34 reviews
An illustrated version of Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course, this book offers instructions that are clear, comprehensive, and pretty near infallible. The text is accompanied by a wide range of illustrations.
Published December 1st 1999 by BBC Books (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course

Wanderlust
Sep 25, 2012 Wanderlust rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Wanderlust by: my mum
Almost every time i am unsure of what to make for dinner i look in my fridge and then i look in this book. I did this just over an hour ago and decide on Roast Chicken & stuffing served with potatoes boulangere.

I was given this book by my mother when i first left home, it has helped me countless times since then. I honestly credit half of my cooking skills to Delia. I wouldn't have even a speck of kitchen confidence if i had not read this book.

Here's to you Delia, thank you for making me a
D Cox
A good book. I tend to think her recipes are a bit more fussy than they need to be. But these work very well. I don't think it could be my sole recipe book but it's certainly full of fail proof classics. Not had it long but already used it often. Seems to be a book for many of those foods you ate as a child...did everyone have this book?

Ragout bolognaise...uses chicken livers (60p for 6 which is enough for two batches!) and 175g of beef mince.
I made this and fed it to the family who were amazed
Rebecca
This book is quite literally the taste of my mum's home cooking. She learnt to cook from it when first maried and while the recipes aren't the most fashionable today they are very reliable and to me very nostalgic. The recipes are so easy to follow and there are so many of them! As an added bonus, ingredients that were a bit exotic when Delia wrote this are now totally everyday, so there aren't any madening chases for ingredients... infact you might not even need to go out shopping because we al ...more
Becca Watt
The woman is a cookery goddess. I have never ever followed a Delia recipe that has gone wrong- my personal fave's are the banoffee cheesecake and minestrone soup. She does the classics so well and has a modern twist on some old favourites.
Mags
got click happy on Delia and clicked the non-illustrated one.
The illustrated one is the one I have and it's my bible.
If I want to know how to do, well anything really, this is the first place I look.
RosieJo
The classic cookery book for our age. What I love about Delia is that her recipes always work, and she's a cook not a chef so no fancy terminology, wacky cooking methods or ingredients from the slopes of obscure mountain ranges. Just simple great tasting food. A must for all home cooks :)
Sheena Lambert
Whereas I would recommend the Ballymaloe Complete Cookery Course as the perfect gift for the more experienced cook, Delia's Complete Cookery Course is really the perfect housewarming gift for the newbie cook - it wold be a lovely wedding gift for example. I got mine from my beloved aunt, and I know I will have it, and refer to it, as long as I have a kitchen to cook in. It teaches all the basics, and whereas some of the recipes (and ingredients) in my edition are definitly dated, the basics are ...more
June Fletcher
This has got to be my favourite recipe book. Having never learned to cook from my mother and going to a school where domestic science was not a school subject I did never learned to cook properly. I happened to watch one of her "How to Cook" series and was riveted. I managed to get someone to bring me a copy of this book from the U.K. and it is a constant source of reference. I would like to own a copy of the TV video series but have not been able to do so. She showed exactly how things are made ...more
Sophia
A solid reference/recipe book. At the beginning of each section Delia educates the reader with the technical aspects of making pastry, cooking eggs (Delia suggests you weigh your eggs in order to cook them to your liking) , meats and so forth.

You know that Delia has triple-tested all her recipes so you are in safe hands.

My favourite recipes include her: apple sauce (for savoury dishes), her variations for fruit crumbles and the lemon surprise pudding.
David
The comprehensive reference book for food enthusiasts. This woman is the British expert of long standing and her recipes are not faddish and are simple to follow. She even tells you how to boil an egg. I picked up a lot of tips like sticking a fork into jacket potatoes to puncture them, drenching them in olive oil then rubbing rock salt into the skin, before skewering them on metal blades to get the heat into the middle before putting them in the oven.
Rosminah
This is a great reference guide for basic cooking, centric to British cuisine. It was a gift from an English friend who knew I was looking for a good Victoria Sponge recipe.
I would say that I like Delia's how to cook series, but this is good because it's compacted down into one book. And I have enough books as it is.
12barbluez
actually i have the hardback and its lost its cover cos i use it so much. but a great book with all the basics plus some more adventurous recipes. if you only could have one cookbook on your desert island this would be it................ provided there was a kitchen and piped gas on the island that is.
Kate
The cooking bible as far as I'm concerned, I use it all the time. A lot of the recipes are adaptable although it doesn't alyways come across like that, but lots of useful basic infor such as how long to cook different typs of meat/fish for, and lots of good every day recipes.
Heather
The cornerstone of anyone's cookery book shelf, well anyone that grew up in the era when Butterflies was on tv?! I got this for my 15th birthday and of all the cookery books I have read, has proved the most useful, perhaps not adventurous, but useful all the same!
Cheryl Pearce
traditional cooking, easy to follow recipes, loved this book.
Maggie
I absolutelylove Delia! I was never really interested in cooking - thanks to Delia I can make fab cakes, she makes it all so easy. You can forget your Jamie Olivers, Gordon Ramsey's etc - Delia any day! She deserves 10 stars!
John
Delia is a wonderful cook - but I wish her recipes were slightly more healthy. Everything is so fattening and full of cholestorol - yet it tastes divine.

This book is worth evey penny spent on it.
Andra
This was a gift from my English mother-in-law. It's her own, well-loved/well-used copy. It's a must for any wife of a nice English boy or any anglophile in the kitchen.
Brenda
If you only buy one cookery book, make it this one. Recipes as well tested, if you follow the instructions, they work. All the basics needed for cooking are there.
Lynne Morgan
My absolute must-have cookery book. I was given the book for Christmas in 1985 and it's been my constant companion ever since!
Jennifer Hamill
I have used some of these recipes for years, her Hungarian goulash and chicken paprika being two of them.
Lou Robinson
I have hundreds of cook books. But this is the one I always go back to in the end. Timeless.
Cooksontaylor
My favourite cookbook, been using with success for over 30 years
nancykordouli
One day i am going to learn how to cook.

Patti McDermott
Purchased in London to add to my collection
Paul Miller
A little dated but a good primer written well
Jenshotmail
has bailed me out of many a cooking dilemma!
Tracey
You can never go wrong with Delia's recipes.
Gerry
The only cookbook you will ever need.
Clare
a must have in any kitchen...
  • Real Fast Food
  • Roast Chicken and Other Stories
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • Cupcakes From The Primrose Bakery
  • Baking Made Easy
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
Delia Smith CBE is an English cook and television presenter, known for teaching basic cookery skills in a no-nonsense style. She is the UK's best-selling cookery author, with more than 21 million copies sold.

Smith is also famous for her role as joint majority shareholder at Norwich City F.C. Her partner in the shareholding is her husband, Michael Wynn-Jones. Her role at the club has attracted vary
More about Delia Smith...
Delia's How to Cook: Book One Delia Smith's Winter Collection: 150 Recipes for Winter Delia Smith's Christmas: 130 Recipes for Christmas Delia Smith's Summer Collection: 140 Recipes for Summer Delia's How to Cook: Book Two