Trading Christmas: Trading Christmas\The Forgetful Bride

Trading Christmas: Trading Christmas\The Forgetful Bride

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  53 reviews

Trading Houses. Trading Towns. Trading Christmas!
Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave Leavenworth, Washington, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston.
Charles Brewster, history professor, curmudgeon and resident of Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether. He figures a prison town should be nice and quiet over the holidays--except he's thinki...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Mira Books (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Trading Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading Christmas

Jonel Boyko
This may possibly bet the funniest, most unique Christmas story that I’ve ever read. Macomber throws her cast of characters into some very unique situations that you can’t help but laugh at. She creates an inescapable world for her readers to revel in. Macomber’s descriptions and narrative are so vivid that you cannot help but picture everything. At the same time everything remains realistic and in the moment.

Macomber’s brilliant cast carries this story forward without a hitch. Getting to know...more
Patty
I wonder if Hallmark has turned this into a Christmas movie. Of course, it's that kind of story. Macomber doesn't do that bad a job of it, considering she churns out so many books each year. In this one she paints Boston, New York, and Leavenworth, WA as romantic holiday spots. On the other hand, she makes Florida seem like the last place you'd like to spend Christmas.
Mary
Debbie Macomber's Christmas books are always cute and heartwarming. Trading Christmas was no different. I enjoyed listening while I knitted a Christmas gift.
Joanne
'Trading Christmas' is a sweet seasonal romance. If you love Christmas and want a book to help get you into the spirit, then this book should do it.
Cristina
Good book to unwind from the Christmas rush with. Trading Christmas was a delight to read. Emily is facing her Christmas alone after her daughter tells her that she isn't coming home on Christmas break. She calls her best friend for sympathy but doesn't get what she hoped for. So she decides she will go to her daughter in Boston. Charles wanted to escape Christmas in Boston. Actually he just wanted to escape Christmas all together. Emily and Charles trade homes for the holiday each hoping to cel...more
Doris
This audio book was a smooth easy read. Although there were parts when I was jarred out of the story, those places had more to do with the inconsistencies between the character ages and the plot / their emotions. Overall, a fun read, good for a long road trip.

There were several points in this story that I found interesting, including the little Christmas village atmosphere, but overall one of the things that grated a little on me harked back to the days of my childhood, when my grandmother (born...more
Cindy
This funny, heartwarming and romantic story from Debbie Macomber makes it a perfect holiday read. The story begins when Emily, a widow it told by her daughter (a student at Harvard) that she will not be coming home for Christmas. Emily decides to surprise her daughter by trading her house in Washington state for one in Boston, Mass. so they can be together at Christmas. She arrives in Boston only to discover that her daughter is about to embark on a motorcycle road trip to Florida with a new boy...more
LeeWhedon
I would have given this book 5 stars because I really loved it! However, there wasn't much depth to it so 5 stars seemed to be pushing it a bit. But what a fun, easy Christmas read!
Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave her home in Washington state, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston. However, when she gets there she finds out her daughter had other plans!
Charles Brewster, a history professor from Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether.
Through an internet site,...more
Emily Higgins
Emily Springer is disappointed that her daughter is not coming home for Christmas, so she decides to surprise her daughter by going to see her. That is just the first of many holiday surprises. A short, cute novel.

The Forgetful Bride: second really short novel. She was the bratty sister. He was her brother's childhood friend. They meet again as grown-ups. She doesn't recognize him at first, but eventually she remembers him. Eventually, romance blossoms.
Nicki
The copy I had was actually three short stories about Xmas, one of them being Trading Christmas. I did not realise when I borrowed it from the library as it was just titled Trading Christmas, or I probably wouldn't have bothered. I really don't like short story collections.
As I had started and was quite enjoying it, decided to go on. This was nicely written, but very cliched and I hated the nauseating ending so much I decided not to bother with the other two stories in the book. I really hate t...more
Rachel
This was a quick read. I've never read Debbie Macomber before but I've seen a couple of movies made from her books and enjoyed them. In this case I definitely enjoyed the movie about a house trade more than this book (thinking of the movie The Holiday). The book was kind of choppy and I didn't enjoy Emily's daughter Heather's attitude. Seemed really out of character for how close her and her mom were supposed to be. And the turn-around in Charles' attitude seemed too sudden and forced. The relat...more
Richie Mae Andrei Zuniga
Since its ber months I'm starting to read christmas themed books and this book I think is interesting for its main conflict and underlying conflict. If you want to read lightly and bring the christmas spirit within you I surely recommend this book:)
Ruth Ellen
I think I read both these stories at Christmas time. I re-read them today. I enjoyed them just as much as the first time. Since I was feeling down, they lifted me up. I laughed a little as some of the story lines.
Joanna Lopez
Such a wonderful, fun story…one of her best!!!
Caroline
Who doesn't enjoy a heart warming Christmas romance when it's Christmastime. I sure do. I had seen the movie and loved it so decided to read the book. It was a great story and I loved the storyline of faith, hope and love. I'm a sucker for a happy ending and this book fulfilled all that I hope for in a great romance novel. I highly recommend this book, you will not be disappointed. Thanks Debbie, keep them coming.
Becky
I have been on a little bit of a Debbie Macomber streak this Christmas. I was looking for an easy, fun Christmas read to help put me in the spirit. I enjoyed this story a lot. It is fun. There is a little bit of depth. A good read.
Susan
A little too sappy for me, even for Debbie Macomber. I enjoyed the Movie with the same premiss "The Holiday", but this was a bit over the top. The characters changed completely to quick to be believable. The narration was good but I had to move on about 1/2 way through. I recently read, "A Cedar Cove Christmas", by Debbie Macomber, and would recommend it over this.
Lonny
Debbie Macomber's Christmas romances are always lighthearted and completely improbable, but are very enjoyable light reading during a busy season. and this book was no exception. I found myself laughing at points because the events were totally off the wall, but that is the charm of the book. I'd recommend it to pass a couple of hours with an easy read.
Kim Goff
Heartwarming but a little too quick of a turnaround in the characters. The characters were easy to relate with and the storyline was intrresting and comical. I plan to give Dennie Macomber another shot but this one was just a little too mushy for me. If it hadn't been a Christmas story I don't know if Id've finished it.
Emily Richards
We picked this for Book Club because the movie looked enjoyable. However, the book did not live up to the hype. It's poorly written, highly repetitive and the characters aren't well developed (and in my opinion they are all versions of the same type of person which doesn't lend itself to a realistic view).
Veronica
Has a bit of language and a sexual situation; would rate it pg-13 if a movie; not as clean as the Hallmark movie version, but still a pretty clean read
Wendy
Fun Christmas read! I love Christmas books at Christmas time. You will enjoy this book and find out how some people got their Christmas very mixed up by trying to surprise others.
Julie
I checked out this book to read over the Christmas break. Read it on Christmas morning in a few hours before everyone else was up. It was a sweet read. Made me want to visit Boston and Leavenworth!

I never knew it was made into a movie. I am behind the times!
I listened to the Audio book, and it was slow to start. It was also confusing at times since it deals with three couples and if I wasn't paying attention I was like, "wait, what couple is doing what?" Otherwise is was sorta hokey and predictable.
Suzanne
I listened to the book while commuting, but took it inside today to finish it. I laughed outloud many times with the antics of just knowing the "collision" that were going to occur. I love Christmas stories anytime. What a delightful tale.
Natalie
A little too fluffy and squeaky clean for my taste, but it wasn't horrible. It was nice that it was a quick read and didn't drag as well. Would recommend if you want to read a fluffy quick read to try to get you into the holiday spirit.
April
Thankfully this book was really short, because it's pretty terrible!! I only read it because I enjoy the made-for-TV Christmas movie based on it, starring Faith Ford.
Mike
Sappy, predictable, and cute with a happy ending that is occasionally in question but never really in doubt. Just what I like in a Christmas story to get me over my absurd September attack of holiday spirit.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Trading Christmas was a good story about couples coming together under unusual circumstances. I read Trading Christmas as an audio book and wasn’t impressed with Renee Raudman’s storytelling.
Karen
Loved it! I especially liked the 2nd book, The Forgetful Bride. A boy & girl were "married" by the girl's brother as youngsters for fun, and many years later they reconnect as adults. A fun read.
No Obligation Boo...: Let's talk about our December book! 3 13 Nov 27, 2013 06:30AM
  • The Christmas Cookie Chronicles: Carrie: A Twilight, Texas Story
  • Danger in Amish Country: Fall from Grace\Dangerous Homecoming\Return to Willow Trace
  • Big Sky Wedding (Parable, Montana, #5)
  • The Arrangement
  • A Wild Goose Chase Christmas
  • Nipped in the Bud
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • A Dixie Christmas
  • The Christmas Pony
  • Indelible
  • A Plain Disappearance (Appleseed Creek, #3)
  • The Treasure Box
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • The First Warm Evening of the Year: A Novel
  • A Seaside Christmas (Chesapeake Shores #10)
  • Against the Odds
  • Blame It on Chocolate
  • A Nantucket Christmas

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)