Start by marking “Trading Christmas: Trading Christmas\The Forgetful Bride” as Want to Read:
Trading Christmas: Trading Christmas\The Forgetful Bride

Trading Christmas: Trading Christmas\The Forgetful Bride

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  490 ratings  ·  62 reviews

Trading Houses. Trading Towns. Trading Christmas!
Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave Leavenworth, Washington, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston.
Charles Brewster, history professor, curmudgeon and resident of Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether. He figures a prison town should be nice and quiet over the holidays--except he's thinki
Published November 1st 2011 by Mira Books (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Trading Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trading Christmas

Jonel Boyko (Pure Jonel)
This may possibly bet the funniest, most unique Christmas story that I’ve ever read. Macomber throws her cast of characters into some very unique situations that you can’t help but laugh at. She creates an inescapable world for her readers to revel in. Macomber’s descriptions and narrative are so vivid that you cannot help but picture everything. At the same time everything remains realistic and in the moment.

Macomber’s brilliant cast carries this story forward without a hitch. Getting to know
Patty
I wonder if Hallmark has turned this into a Christmas movie. Of course, it's that kind of story. Macomber doesn't do that bad a job of it, considering she churns out so many books each year. In this one she paints Boston, New York, and Leavenworth, WA as romantic holiday spots. On the other hand, she makes Florida seem like the last place you'd like to spend Christmas.
Mary
Debbie Macomber's Christmas books are always cute and heartwarming. Trading Christmas was no different. I enjoyed listening while I knitted a Christmas gift.
Joanne
'Trading Christmas' is a sweet seasonal romance. If you love Christmas and want a book to help get you into the spirit, then this book should do it.
Cristina
Good book to unwind from the Christmas rush with. Trading Christmas was a delight to read. Emily is facing her Christmas alone after her daughter tells her that she isn't coming home on Christmas break. She calls her best friend for sympathy but doesn't get what she hoped for. So she decides she will go to her daughter in Boston. Charles wanted to escape Christmas in Boston. Actually he just wanted to escape Christmas all together. Emily and Charles trade homes for the holiday each hoping to cel ...more
Doris
This audio book was a smooth easy read. Although there were parts when I was jarred out of the story, those places had more to do with the inconsistencies between the character ages and the plot / their emotions. Overall, a fun read, good for a long road trip.

There were several points in this story that I found interesting, including the little Christmas village atmosphere, but overall one of the things that grated a little on me harked back to the days of my childhood, when my grandmother (born
Cindy
This funny, heartwarming and romantic story from Debbie Macomber makes it a perfect holiday read. The story begins when Emily, a widow it told by her daughter (a student at Harvard) that she will not be coming home for Christmas. Emily decides to surprise her daughter by trading her house in Washington state for one in Boston, Mass. so they can be together at Christmas. She arrives in Boston only to discover that her daughter is about to embark on a motorcycle road trip to Florida with a new boy ...more
LeeWhedon
I would have given this book 5 stars because I really loved it! However, there wasn't much depth to it so 5 stars seemed to be pushing it a bit. But what a fun, easy Christmas read!
Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave her home in Washington state, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston. However, when she gets there she finds out her daughter had other plans!
Charles Brewster, a history professor from Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether.
Through an internet site,
Emily Higgins
Emily Springer is disappointed that her daughter is not coming home for Christmas, so she decides to surprise her daughter by going to see her. That is just the first of many holiday surprises. A short, cute novel.

The Forgetful Bride: second really short novel. She was the bratty sister. He was her brother's childhood friend. They meet again as grown-ups. She doesn't recognize him at first, but eventually she remembers him. Eventually, romance blossoms.
S
What a sweet read. Yes, we know when Debbie Macomber writes a book that we are going to get a solid, good read and this book met the mark. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it while on a trip. This was one of those stories where you knew what was going to happen, but it is the season to be joyful and this book kept you in that mood. Good job!
Nicki
The copy I had was actually three short stories about Xmas, one of them being Trading Christmas. I did not realise when I borrowed it from the library as it was just titled Trading Christmas, or I probably wouldn't have bothered. I really don't like short story collections.
As I had started and was quite enjoying it, decided to go on. This was nicely written, but very cliched and I hated the nauseating ending so much I decided not to bother with the other two stories in the book. I really hate t
Rachel
This was a quick read. I've never read Debbie Macomber before but I've seen a couple of movies made from her books and enjoyed them. In this case I definitely enjoyed the movie about a house trade more than this book (thinking of the movie The Holiday). The book was kind of choppy and I didn't enjoy Emily's daughter Heather's attitude. Seemed really out of character for how close her and her mom were supposed to be. And the turn-around in Charles' attitude seemed too sudden and forced. The relat ...more
Jen - ReadingwithPugs
This was one of her best Christmas stories. Full of family and Christmas cheer. I really loved the Christmas world building and the pictures painted by the author. There is some insta love but if you can look past that, you'll finish this book with a smile on your face.
Richie Mae Andrei Zuniga
Since its ber months I'm starting to read christmas themed books and this book I think is interesting for its main conflict and underlying conflict. If you want to read lightly and bring the christmas spirit within you I surely recommend this book:)
Ruth Ellen
I think I read both these stories at Christmas time. I re-read them today. I enjoyed them just as much as the first time. Since I was feeling down, they lifted me up. I laughed a little as some of the story lines.
Jaclyn
Though this was your predictable Christmas story. I loved it. It was a great story to ready before Christmas! I definitely want to read more of her books. It is nice to read a story where everything is cheerful and happy! :-)
Rossana Snee
This book was just all right. Not enough friction. All too sweet. Some funny moments with Charles in the beginning, but it didn't really do anything for me after that.
Joy
My favorite Debbie Macomber holiday story. Sweet. Unexpected. Laugh out loud funny at times. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Debbie
A fun holiday story! Quick read and great for this time of year!
Tara
As much as I liked this, I prefer the Hallmark movie to the book and that happens very rarely.
Joanna Lopez
Such a wonderful, fun story…one of her best!!!
Caroline
Who doesn't enjoy a heart warming Christmas romance when it's Christmastime. I sure do. I had seen the movie and loved it so decided to read the book. It was a great story and I loved the storyline of faith, hope and love. I'm a sucker for a happy ending and this book fulfilled all that I hope for in a great romance novel. I highly recommend this book, you will not be disappointed. Thanks Debbie, keep them coming.
Becky
I have been on a little bit of a Debbie Macomber streak this Christmas. I was looking for an easy, fun Christmas read to help put me in the spirit. I enjoyed this story a lot. It is fun. There is a little bit of depth. A good read.
Susan
A little too sappy for me, even for Debbie Macomber. I enjoyed the Movie with the same premiss "The Holiday", but this was a bit over the top. The characters changed completely to quick to be believable. The narration was good but I had to move on about 1/2 way through. I recently read, "A Cedar Cove Christmas", by Debbie Macomber, and would recommend it over this.
Lonny
Debbie Macomber's Christmas romances are always lighthearted and completely improbable, but are very enjoyable light reading during a busy season. and this book was no exception. I found myself laughing at points because the events were totally off the wall, but that is the charm of the book. I'd recommend it to pass a couple of hours with an easy read.
Kim Goff
Heartwarming but a little too quick of a turnaround in the characters. The characters were easy to relate with and the storyline was intrresting and comical. I plan to give Dennie Macomber another shot but this one was just a little too mushy for me. If it hadn't been a Christmas story I don't know if Id've finished it.
Emily Richards
We picked this for Book Club because the movie looked enjoyable. However, the book did not live up to the hype. It's poorly written, highly repetitive and the characters aren't well developed (and in my opinion they are all versions of the same type of person which doesn't lend itself to a realistic view).
Samantha
I love nothing more than Debbie Macomber Christmas books. Trading Christmas is a lighthearted romantic Christmas story. Debbie's characters seem so real you feel as if you have known them forever! If you are looking for laughter, romance, and a feeling of home than I highly recommend this book.
Veronica
Has a bit of language and a sexual situation; would rate it pg-13 if a movie; not as clean as the Hallmark movie version, but still a pretty clean read
No Obligation Boo...: Let's talk about our December book! 3 14 Nov 27, 2013 06:30AM
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • The Christmas Cookie Chronicles: Raylene
  • On Christmas Eve
  • A Christmas for Katie: A Christmas Families of Honor Novella (Families of Honor #3.5)
  • The Treasure Box
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Hook, Line And Sinker: A Deep Haven Novella
  • Indelible
  • Danger in Amish Country: Fall from Grace\Dangerous Homecoming\Return to Willow Trace
  • Texas K-9 Unit Christmas: Holiday Hero\Rescuing Christmas
  • The Arrangement
  • A Winter Wonderland
  • A Chesapeake Shores Christmas (Chesapeake Shores, #4)
  • What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1)
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • His Holiday Heart (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #8)
  • Against the Odds

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)