Start by marking “Hemingway: A Life in Pictures” as Want to Read:
Hemingway: A Life in Pictures

Hemingway: A Life in Pictures

Packed with over 350 images, granddaughter Hemingway shares her family albums with readers, giving additional insight into the iconic author. Beginning with a copy of his birth certificate, Hemingway aficionado Vejdovsky takes readers on a guided tour of the literary legend's life and career via this remarkable collection of candid snapshots. Those familiar with the ...more
Published October 27th 2011 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hemingway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hemingway

DL
Jan 24, 2014 DL rated it liked it
I enjoyed seeing the pictures as a companion to my reading of A Moveable Feast. However, if it were not for the fact that I have just finished reading Paris Wife, I would have been lost in this book. It jumps around so. I did find Agnes' "dear John" letter to be fascinating. I wonder if she actually thought she was letting him down easy? That letter was rough!
Jay
May 07, 2016 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: hemingway
I did not expect much from this book when I bought it. The New York Times review was not particularly complimentary and my interest was more in the photographic reproductions than in any of the accompanying text. I had read most of Hemingway’s works through Islands in the Stream, the first volume of his collected letters published by Cambridge Press and Kenneth Lynn’s biography. I simply wanted pictures to go with that reading.

Most of the original photographs in the book are housed in the Heming
Chris
Mar 05, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of Ernest Hemingway I was delighted to spot this book by chance in a London bookshop.

The book is full of wonderful photos of ‘Papa’ throughout his life as well as explanatory notes by Boris Vejdovsky. Hemingway had a very public persona as a general tough guy who loved nothing more than hunting in Africa, having flings with beautiful women, drinking and fighting however in many of the photos we see a more private side to him such as husband and loving father to his three sons.

This
Alicia Scully
Hemingway's life is brought to a modern audience through various pictures and images. The photos were beautiful and I really enjoyed looking through everything and seeing how one stage of his life moved into another. I have a strong background knowledge of Hemingway though as I've taken several classes and done my own reading. I would say that without that background knowledge, this text would have been frustrating and incomplete. Some sections were grouped in such a way as to be extremely ...more
Annie Garvey
Jan 22, 2012 Annie Garvey rated it liked it
This book needed a better proofreader. A photo of Ernest Hemingway and Spencer Tracy (p. 140) is clearly not Spencer Tracy. Veidovsky gets mixed up as to where Hemingway and Hadley's marriage took place (p. 65). They were married in Michigan not in "Walloon Bay near Oak Park." The author also alludes to two extramarital affairs with Jane Mason (p. 159) and Debba p. 115. Since this is "a life in pictures," I would have liked to see pictures of these women.
Adrianna
Jun 10, 2012 Adrianna rated it it was ok
Some photographs are great to look but after a while it is like looking at a personal photo album where only the subject would enjoy perusing through it. I also did not like how the timeline jumps around too much I would be pulled in to the biography but the next page would skip to a different decade. I had to check the page numbers because I thought pages were missing.
Stargirl
C'est vraiment un très beau livre. Énorme et contenant de très nombreuses photos qui illustre parfaitement la vie d'Ernest Hemingway.

Je ne peux pas dire que ce livre m'ai rendu Hemingway sympathique, ce serait plutôt le contraire mais il est quand même intéressant de découvrir la vie d'un auteur si célèbre.
Jess
Mar 18, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-booklist
I really enjoyed looking at the different images of Ernest throughout his life. I feel like it could have been arranged in a better order. It seemed that things were out of place. Regardless, I still liked it.
Michelle Ardillo
Had to read this after I finished The Paris Wife to see what was fact and what was fiction! Enjoyable, great photos.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Edward O
Edward O rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Bethany Fox
Bethany Fox rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Laurence
Laurence rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Gene Maddock
Gene Maddock rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Danie
Danie rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Joseph Wyant
Joseph Wyant rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
A
A rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
shelf
shelf rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Cathy MacHold
Cathy MacHold rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2012
Maureen Collier
Maureen Collier rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Joanne Hartle
Joanne Hartle rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Anzhela
Anzhela rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Cecile Sune
Cecile Sune rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Tom Costello
Tom Costello rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016