Start by marking “Rewriting: How to Do Things with Texts” as Want to Read:
Rewriting: How to Do Things with Texts

Rewriting: How to Do Things with Texts

"Like all writers, intellectuals need to say something new and say it well. But unlike many other writers, what intellectuals have to say is bound up with the books we are reading . . . and the ideas of the people we are talking with."

What are the moves that an academic writer makes? How does writing as an intellectual change the way we work from sources? In "Rewriting, "
Published July 15th 2007 by Utah State University Press (first published July 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rewriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewriting

Gary
Oct 07, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harris provides an original and helpful way of thinking about the process of revision. He views all writing as "rewriting," either rewriting what others have written or rewriting what we ourselves have written. He focuses in particular on the "moves" that writers make. These include "coming to terms," "forwarding," "countering," and "taking an approach." "Coming to terms" is a more sophisticated way of thinking about summary. More than just repeating what an author has said it involves understan ...more
Laurel L. Perez
Oct 06, 2016 Laurel L. Perez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite whatever comes to mind when you read the title of this text, or glimpse the cover, this text would be a wonderful addition to just about any composition classroom. Easily accessible for students, and chock full of sample projects, and more various sources texts to get your students not only writing, but understanding why they need to make the rhetorical moves that professional writers do.
Tanya
Feb 06, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This happens less and less as I enjoy the job I have more and more (and get older and older), but every once in a while something comes along that makes me want to be a teacher again, and "Rewriting" by Joseph Harris is one of those things. Here is Harris on what he works toward when planning a semester's writing course, "I want to give students a series of chances to surprise me, to rewrite the course I have designed -- to notice unexpected things about the texts I assign and to bring new texts ...more
sdw
Jun 24, 2008 sdw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: academic writers (espcially chp 3)
Recommended to sdw by: a scholar
This is a book written by an academic about academic writing. Harris asks us to reframe our academic writing as rewriting – recognizing the intertextuality of academic work – both in terms of engaging other critics and in terms of the texts we analyze. For example, he discusses when to quote and when to paraphrase. He also suggests we stop thinking of “responding” to texts or writers and instead recognize that we are forwarding our responses to their ideas to a third reader, who is the actual in ...more
Tara
Nov 11, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is really going to transform the way I talk about composition in my classroom. I hope to use many of Harris's suggestions in order to help prepare my high schoolers for the rigors of academic writing at the university.

This is NOT a book of lesson plans. And thank goodness! This IS a thought provoking look at the writing moves that can and should be made. The various projects and examples will inspire you to come up with new ways to teach writing in your classroom.

I cannot rec
Elizabeth
Jun 16, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I really appreciated the way that Harris taxonomized the standard "They Say/I Say" moves into a more nuanced rubric of ways that we respond to others through our writing. I also liked how he named each of these forms of responses and provided several detailed examples of each move in all of the chapters. Finally, I appreciated the distinction he drew between revision and editing, which is often something that is difficult for an undergraduate to understand.
Steve
Sep 11, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harris helps any writer--first-year college student, graduate student, teacher, essayist, journalist--see how intellectual writing involves "doing things with texts." He coins insightful terms (such as "coming to terms" and "forwarding") to describe the moves such writing makes. His examples, drawn from published writing and his own experience, illuminate these moves. The book makes you want to write!
Jonathan
This is a pretty good book to use for teaching a writing course. Harris offers several useful tips for teaching the augmentative essay especially. I specifically liked when he cautions the reader against arguing with the text you are using when writing your own essay.
J. Alfred
It's good, if you're into this sort of thing. Sometimes it amazes me that I'm into this sort of thing.
Sundy
Apr 14, 2013 Sundy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Currently re-reading because I need to decide whether to use this for the Writing Center Practicum course.
BrookLynne Winters
This is going on my shelf for teaching Comp I and Comp II. Quick and easy and packed full of wonderful advice and information for the writing student.
Tanya
Jun 21, 2014 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read books like this one that show me underlying patterns and ask me to reconsider the way I have my students work for their learning.
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Fmcabral
Fmcabral rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2013
Clelie
Clelie rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2008
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Ammie Casino
Ammie Casino rated it it was ok
May 20, 2013
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Kevin Siedlecki
Kevin Siedlecki rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Hayley
Hayley rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Taylor Troncin
Taylor Troncin rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Saurabh Singh
Saurabh Singh rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Ryan Robinson
Ryan Robinson rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Matt Rager
Matt Rager rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Ashley Palombi
Ashley Palombi rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2016
Seth French
Seth French rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
  • Women in the Classical World: Image and Text
  • Beyond Winning: Negotiating to Create Value in Deals and Disputes
  • I'd Rather Teach Peace
  • Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong: And What We Can Do About It
  • HTML 5 and CSS3 (Visual QuickStart Guide)
  • Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom
  • The Non-Designer's Design & Type Books, Deluxe Edition
  • Success Through Failure: The Paradox of Design
  • The Illusions of Entrepreneurship: The Costly Myths That Entrepreneurs, Investors, and Policy Makers Live By
  • Graduate Study for the Twenty-First Century: How to Build an Academic Career in the Humanities
  • The Craft of Research (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • The Norton Field Guide to Writing
  • The Heroic Slave (African American Heritage Book)
  • Why We Cooperate