Start by marking “The Settlement Cook Book: Treasured Recipes of Seven Decades: The Famous All-Purpose Cook Book for Beginner and Expert: The Way to a Man's Heart” as Want to Read:

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A classic cookbook filled with all kinds of advice for the new wife or home maker as well as classic American recipes from yesteryear.
Published August 1st 1976 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Settlement Cook Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Settlement Cook Book

Jim
Be careful with editions if you purchase this. The 1903 version was reprinted & seems popular on Ebay - it is a thin paperback without a lot of recipes & NO TEMPERATURES since it was written for wood stove cooking. It's interesting & generally inexpensive, but not much help.

This, the 1976 HB edition, is the finest I've seen. It's not a fancy cookbook. It covers all aspects of cooking with excellent references such as a meat chart showing where various cuts come from, conversion char...more
Genevieve Grady
Apr 20, 2008 Genevieve Grady rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like to cook
Shelves: have-read
This is a sentemental favorite since I grew up with this cookbook as our house staple. Nonetheless, it has every fundamental cooking need. I strongly recommend it!
Rosemary
I've been cooking from this book for 37 years, and am on my third copy. Good, old-fashioned recipes with ingredients most people have on hand.
Mike (the Paladin)
Thought I add this old, beaten up, falling apart cookbook (with the page for basic biscuits missing, having been torn out at some time in the past.) It is a copy from the 70s of a book that was compiled in 1901 and by Lizzie Black Kander. She had set out to help young German Jewish girls adapt to American culture in 1896. She decided that rather than everybody having to copy recipes so often, a book of recipes would be good. The book book has continued to be up dated regularly ever since.

This is...more
Starr Gotzen
I bought this book for my daughters, too. Great kitchen hints and fabulous recipes.
Yamo
I have a dog eared copy from both my grandmother and mother with their own recipes on various pieces of paper stuck between the pages. Everything is in this book including measuring conversions, roasting times, baking times, adjusting for high altitude cooking and various tips and "secrets"
Sherry (sethurner)
This is a facsimile edition of the 1903 classic cookbook from MIlwaukee. I like reading the household hints, and seeing the old recipes. They strike me as both simpler (in terms of numbers of ingredients) and more labor intensive (in terms of not using convenience items we take for granted).
Lynn Szwalkiewicz
Mar 22, 2013 Lynn Szwalkiewicz marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook
This is a wonderfully large old book with local history. It's written like a homemaking manual and covers everything from etiquette to recipes. I've really enjoyed reading it and trying some recipes. My copy is the 24th edition with a copyright of 1941.
Karyn
Although much of the menus are outdated, as are many of the recipes, it is still a cookbook I pull out when searching for the origin of a recipe. When I want to see how a recipe was at its most basic, I refer to this to see how it evolved.
Alessandra
Melting pot fare meant to "Americanize" immigrants, it's pretty basic middle American stuff. My 1949 edition includes a recipe for chicken chop suey which requires "Chinese sauce," whatever that is.
Heather
This book has the best pound cake recipe, according to my boyfriend's grandma. I can't wait to try this and other recipes in this book
Stuart
Maybe I don't have the 1903 edition.... but it came from my mother's collection.
Joanne
Joanne added it
Sep 22, 2014
Len
Len marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Cutt1bellsouth.net
Cutt1bellsouth.net marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ame
Ame marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Helene Goldberg
Helene Goldberg marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Punit Jaiswal
Punit Jaiswal marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Mary Coles
Mary Coles marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
A.j. Stone
A.j. Stone marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Mouse
Mouse marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013