Start by marking “പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu” as Want to Read:
പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu

പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  2,871 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Pathummayude Aadu is one of the most popular works by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. It has a long foreword by the novelist himself and a longer afterword by P K Balakrishnan. This special edition also has illustrations by Sherif and photographs of the real characters including Pathumma and goats.
Paperback, 24th Impression, 120 pages
Published June 2009 by D C Books (first published April 1959)

രണ്ടാമൂഴം | Randamoozham by M.T. Vasudevan Nairപാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu by Vaikom Muhammad Basheerഖസാക്കിന്റെ ഇതിഹാസം | Khasakkinte Ithihasam by O.V. Vijayanആടുജീവിതം | Aatujeevitham by Benyaminബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer
10 Malayalam Must read before you die book
2nd out of 149 books — 1,626 voters
രണ്ടാമൂഴം | Randamoozham by M.T. Vasudevan Nairപാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu by Vaikom Muhammad Basheerബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi by Vaikom Muhammad Basheerആടുജീവിതം | Aatujeevitham by Benyaminഒരു ദേശത്തിന്റെ കഥ | Oru Desathinte Katha by S.K. Pottekkatt
Best Works in Malayalam
2nd out of 51 books — 186 voters

More lists with this book...

Karthika
A short and realistic novel. This book describes a small part of author's life and all the characters are his family members. He didn't try to insert plastic situations or dialogues in this book.. Simple languages with natural slang and his narration of the story as himself makes the story more natural and alive.

Humor is invisibly tied with almost all dialogues in the book. I really like the simplicity of the book. The book really worth 5 stars..
Aneesh Kr
i dont know how to read books in this site. i think there is no such option. this site is a fake site.
Unnikrishnan Rajan

കുറെ വർഷങങൾകകുശേഷം ഇനനലെ വീണടും പാതതുമമയുടെ ആടുമായി കുറെ നേരം ചെലവിടടു. ഉചചയൂണ കഴിഞഞു ഒനനു മയങങാൻ കിടനനതാണ. അപപോഴുണട അതാ അവൾ കയറി വരുനനു. ഇപപോഴും തികചചു ആരോഗയവതിയും കുസൃതിയുമായിതനനെ അവൾ വിലസുനനു. മപിയകകും ഖദീജയകകും ഒകകെ സുഖമാണെനനും, തനറെ കുടടി വലുതായി പുതിയ കുറെ തലമുറകളെ സൃഷടിചചുവെനനും അവൾ പറഞഞു. മുററതതു കിടനന കുറെ പലാവില ഞാൻ അവൾകകു വായിൽ വെചചുകൊടുതതപപോൾ ഒരു കളളപപുഞചിരിയോടെ അവൾ എനനെ ഒളികണണിടടു നോകകി, അജസുനദരി. ഒരു ആവശയവുമിലലാതത ആഖയകളെയും ആഖയാതങങളെയും തലലികകൊലലുനന തിരകകിലാണ ബഷീർ എനനുംപറഞഞു അവൾ പഴ
Nandakishore Varma
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is not a person - he is an institution. He is one of the pioneers of Malayalam literature. He and his contemporaries wrote realistic fiction before modernism with its tortured dreams and weird fantasies took hold of Kerala.

Patthummayude Aadu ("Patthumma's Goat") is a fictionalised account of Basheer's family life - only thing is, as with most of his stories, we cannot say what is truth and what is fiction. The goat belongs to Basheer's sister Patthumma (Fatima), and is ch
Anu Kuriakose
this is the book that gave me mirth...
i laughed and laughed..pondered..again and again..yes..he is the real Sulthan!!!
doest matter the grammar, but express as you feel..
Ravi Mannanikkad
യഥാരതയങങളിലും നരമം തുളുംബുനന ആഖയാന ശൈലി. ബഷീറിന മാതരം അവകാശപപെടാവുനന രചനാ വൈഭവം . ...more
Shynil Hashim
When I along with my friends met Fabi Basheer, she said its her fav book. She summed it up in one word as "oppiyeduthu".
Rameez Jazbi
Jul 20, 2014 Rameez Jazbi marked it as to-read
i want to read this book
Sharmitha Tom
"Pathummayude Adu' is written by an eminent Malayalam writer Vaikkom Muhammad Basheer.Like all his written stories this novel also stands as a unique one.it is a story which make us both laugh and think.

'Pathummayude Adu's central character is a 'adu'(goat) which act as a tool to open the hidden lives of Malabar muslims in Kerala.When Malayalam novel always focus on other religions it unknowingly veiling the Islam community.Unlike other common novels 'Pathummayude Adu' has something else to say.
Sarath Krishnan
Are you a Basheerian(forgive me for the coinage) or not is a question that often hears in the literary circles in Kerala. I would say he is a good writer with a good power over the medium and could communicate what he wants well. There is no need to make him an icon, he is already achieved that position. The book was part of the syllabus in SCERT, so everyone will be familiar with it. Good work indeed.
Biniliju
Nov 14, 2013 Biniliju added it
Shelves: manju
thantethaya narmashailiyil kathakal rachikkunna njangalude beppur sulthan. thanikku chuttumullavare kadapathramakki katha rachichappol , athil sathaganangalude jeevithavum narmavum konduvaruvan adehathinu kazhinju. kathayile oro kadapathravum nammude kudumbangangal thanneyanennu thonni poye. ethu njangalude kathakalude sulthanu mathram kazhiyunna onnanu...
Navaneet J
Glad, I had this novel on my 9th standard syllabus. My mother read it to me. This is most simple, realistic, naturalistic book that talks about the sourness of life in a sweet manner.
Shihab Perumpulliyil
Basheer ezhuthan vittu poya thante athmakadhayile oru dhalam anu pathummayude aadu, ithrayum rasakramaya vayananubhavam valare churukkam mathrame enikku labhichittullu
Visakh Sakthidharan
A take on the blended family culture from his own personal perspective. At the same time keeping the goat as the protagonist, was a stroke of genius
Ajith Ravindran
'Pand enno vaayichathanu pakshe basheerukka ingade pusthakam athangane marakkaan pattuo ;) ethoru malayaliyum vaayichirikenda pusthakam.
Surumikareem
cant forget this novel.. awsum... all charecters are still in my mind.. since i have readen this novel before 7 years
Shafi
added it
Ramshi Reloaded
the first novel which made me laugh alot. With his normal native slang and Genuine comedies and Impossible narration, this has been historical one in literature field itself. Thr novel was his own real life and the characters are the real members of his family, including a goat, Hens, Jackfruits etc. !! No plastic situations and humours... I love all the Basheerian novels and stories
Ardra
Genius. Pathummayude aadu gives us a glimpse into the life of Sultan, as raw and real as it was without any added glitter. When the majority of us count on only our sorrows and hardships, Basheer in his own words has said "isn't it better to laugh than cry" . "Pathummayude aadu" has been written in that viewpoint, showing the realities of life in a positive note, without any attempts to pull on sympathy. For the reader to read and laugh and later ponder.. only when we think again do we realise.. ...more
Nina
I loved this book because it gave me a glimpse of how life was like for a poor muslim family (women mainly) in the time period around india's independence. About how clever women have to be to provide for their own.

Set in Northern Kerala, India.

Jithin Rajan
Read when it came in my Malayalam subject for 10th class, each class burst out laugh and enjoyed the story. It made everyone dull whwn the story ended up. I wished if the story never ends..Its a real great work by basheer.
Jishnu Nair
A master piece from Basheer sir. Read this book more than 5 times as this was our Malayalam second paper topic for standard 10th. The way he presented the incidents in a Joint Family is very nice and he presents them in a unique and funny way which no one can ever match..
Jomon Mj
Jun 11, 2014 Jomon Mj marked it as to-read
Shelves: jmj
Vishnu Ramachandran
ethu kaaryavum narmathiloode avatharippikunna ee bhaashashaili ... mattoraalkkum pakarthaanaavatha onnaanathe
Abu Thahir
Unforgettable tale . Right up there among my favorite books. I read it again and again.
Manu
wat i say i dont konw how to get this book to read wat i do
shit sitttttttttttte
Varna Venugopal
malayalathinte sulthante pusthakalle verenthu parayanaa
Nikhil S
A story that happens in front of ny eyes...
Pathummayude aadu 3 75 Jan 20, 2015 02:09AM
  • Thottiyude makan | തോട്ടിയുടെ മകന്‍
  • ഇനി ഞാൻ ഉറങ്ങട്ടെ | Ini Njan Urangatte
  • ചിദംബര സ്മരണ | Chidambara Smarana
  • Smarakasilakal | സ്മാരകശിലകള്‍
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is regarded as one of the prominent literary figures ever existed in india. He was a legend in Kerala.

He was one of those outspoken figures who revolutionized Malayalam Literature, and Thus the World Literature itself with his dauntless sarcasm, satire, and black humor.

Often referred to as the Beypore Sultan (the king of Beypore) by the colleagues, he was one of the promine
More about Vaikom Muhammad Basheer...
ബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi പ്രേമലേഖനം | Premalekhanam ന്റുപ്പൂപ്പാക്കൊരാനേണ്ടാർന്ന് | Ntuppuppaakkoraanaendaarnnu മതിലുകള്‍ | Mathilukal Basheer Sampoorna Kruthikal