Start by marking “പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu” as Want to Read:
പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu

പാത്തുമ്മായുടെ ആട് | Pathummayude Aadu

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  4,131 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
Pathummayude Aadu is one of the most popular works by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. It has a long foreword by the novelist himself and a longer afterword by P K Balakrishnan. This special edition also has illustrations by Sherif and photographs of the real characters including Pathumma and goats.
Paperback, 24th Impression, 120 pages
Published June 2009 by D C Books (first published April 1959)

Unnikrishnan Rajan

കുറെ വർഷങങൾകകുശേഷം ഇനനലെ വീണടും പാതതുമമയുടെ ആടുമായി കുറെ നേരം ചെലവിടടു. ഉചചയൂണ കഴിഞഞു ഒനനു മയങങാൻ കിടനനതാണ. അപപോഴുണട അതാ അവൾ കയറി വരുനനു. ഇപപോഴും തികചചു ആരോഗയവതിയും കുസൃതിയുമായിതനനെ അവൾ വിലസുനനു. മപിയകകും ഖദീജയകകും ഒകകെ സുഖമാണെനനും, തനറെ കുടടി വലുതായി പുതിയ കുറെ തലമുറകളെ സൃഷടിചചുവെനനും അവൾ പറഞഞു. മുററതതു കിടനന കുറെ പലാവിലകൾ ഞാൻ അവൾകകു വായിൽ വെചചുകൊടുതതപപോൾ ഒരു കളളപപുഞചിരിയോടെ എനനെ ഒളികണണിടടു നോകകി, അജസുനദരി. ഒരു ആവശയവുമിലലാതത ആഖയകളെയും ആഖയാതങങളെയും തലലികകൊലലുനന തിരകകിലാണ ബഷീർ എനനുംപറഞഞു അവൾ പഴുത
Karthika
Jan 25, 2013 Karthika rated it it was amazing
A short and realistic novel. This book describes a small part of author's life and all the characters are his family members. He didn't try to insert plastic situations or dialogues in this book.. Simple languages with natural slang and his narration of the story as himself makes the story more natural and alive.

Humor is invisibly tied with almost all dialogues in the book. I really like the simplicity of the book. The book really worth 5 stars..
Nandakishore Varma
Dec 16, 2011 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is not a person - he is an institution. He is one of the pioneers of Malayalam literature. He and his contemporaries wrote realistic fiction before modernism with its tortured dreams and weird fantasies took hold of Kerala.

Patthummayude Aadu ("Patthumma's Goat") is a fictionalised account of Basheer's family life - only thing is, as with most of his stories, we cannot say what is truth and what is fiction. The goat belongs to Basheer's sister Patthumma (Fatima), and is ch
Aneesh Kr
Jun 26, 2013 Aneesh Kr rated it liked it
i dont know how to read books in this site. i think there is no such option. this site is a fake site.
Anu Kuriakose
Jun 11, 2013 Anu Kuriakose rated it it was amazing
this is the book that gave me mirth...
i laughed and laughed..pondered..again and again..yes..he is the real Sulthan!!!
doest matter the grammar, but express as you feel..
Ravi Mannanikkad
Aug 22, 2013 Ravi Mannanikkad rated it really liked it
യഥാരതയങങളിലും നരമം തുളുംബുനന ആഖയാന ശൈലി. ബഷീറിന മാതരം അവകാശപപെടാവുനന രചനാ വൈഭവം . ...more
Fousi T. Shahul Hameed
Apr 26, 2013 Fousi T. Shahul Hameed rated it it was amazing
All time favourite.
Sharmitha Tom
"Pathummayude Adu' is written by an eminent Malayalam writer Vaikkom Muhammad Basheer.Like all his written stories this novel also stands as a unique one.it is a story which make us both laugh and think.

'Pathummayude Adu's central character is a 'adu'(goat) which act as a tool to open the hidden lives of Malabar muslims in Kerala.When Malayalam novel always focus on other religions it unknowingly veiling the Islam community.Unlike other common novels 'Pathummayude Adu' has something else to say.
Rameez Jazbi
Jul 20, 2014 Rameez Jazbi marked it as to-read
i want to read this book
Shynil Hashim
Apr 30, 2013 Shynil Hashim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: malayalam
When I along with my friends met Fabi Basheer, she said its her fav book. She summed it up in one word as "oppiyeduthu".
த.ராஜன்
கடல சாரநத நாவலகளை வாசிததுககொணடிருககிறேன. ஜோ டி குரூஸின ‘ஆழி சூழ உலகு’, வணணநிலவனின ‘கடலபுரததில’, ஜான பானவிலலின ‘கடல’ மறறும ப.சிஙகாரததின ‘கடலுககு அபபால’ வாசிதது முடிததாகிவிடடது. இநத நானகு நாவலகளிலும துயரம கொடடிக கிடபபதால எனககுளளும தொடரநது ஏதோ பாரம அழுததுவது போலவே இருநதது. அதனால ஒரு மாறுதலுககாக வைககம முகமது பஷீரின ‘பாததுமாவின ஆடு’ நாவலை எடுததேன. இது ஒரு 100 பகக குறுநாவல எனபது தான ஒரே காரணமே தவிர, இது ஒரு நகைசசுவை சாரநத நாவல எனபது முனனரே தெரியாது.

இநத நாவல வைககம முகமமது பஷீரின வாழவில நடநத உணமைச சமபவம
Shine Sebastian
One of the greatest novels in Malayalam language. There is not one character in this novel that I cannot love with my whole heart.
As much as I love this book and all the characters in this book, I love and admire the creator of this purest masterpiece even more, as P.K.Balakrishnan points out in his notes to this novel, Basheer is one of the few writers like Anton Checkov, whose characters we cannot help but love from the bottom of our heart, even if the characters are ( atleast some of them) i
Sarath Krishnan
Are you a Basheerian(forgive me for the coinage) or not is a question that often hears in the literary circles in Kerala. I would say he is a good writer with a good power over the medium and could communicate what he wants well. There is no need to make him an icon, he is already achieved that position. The book was part of the syllabus in SCERT, so everyone will be familiar with it. Good work indeed.
Biniliju
Oct 24, 2013 Biniliju added it
Shelves: manju
thantethaya narmashailiyil kathakal rachikkunna njangalude beppur sulthan. thanikku chuttumullavare kadapathramakki katha rachichappol , athil sathaganangalude jeevithavum narmavum konduvaruvan adehathinu kazhinju. kathayile oro kadapathravum nammude kudumbangangal thanneyanennu thonni poye. ethu njangalude kathakalude sulthanu mathram kazhiyunna onnanu...
Annie
Sep 27, 2014 Annie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it gave me a glimpse of how life was like for a poor muslim family (women mainly) in the time period around india's independence. About how clever women have to be to provide for their own.

Set in Northern Kerala, India.

Shafi
Sep 27, 2012 Shafi rated it it was amazing
added it
Muneertt
T6
Ajith Ravindran
Aug 06, 2014 Ajith Ravindran rated it really liked it
'Pand enno vaayichathanu pakshe basheerukka ingade pusthakam athangane marakkaan pattuo ;) ethoru malayaliyum vaayichirikenda pusthakam.
William Joseph
Feb 26, 2016 William Joseph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, indian
One of the best book I ever read.
Shihab Perumpulliyil
Jul 14, 2013 Shihab Perumpulliyil rated it really liked it
Basheer ezhuthan vittu poya thante athmakadhayile oru dhalam anu pathummayude aadu, ithrayum rasakramaya vayananubhavam valare churukkam mathrame enikku labhichittullu
Visakh Sakthidharan
May 05, 2013 Visakh Sakthidharan rated it really liked it
A take on the blended family culture from his own personal perspective. At the same time keeping the goat as the protagonist, was a stroke of genius
Navaneet J
Oct 14, 2012 Navaneet J rated it it was amazing
Glad, I had this novel on my 9th standard syllabus. My mother read it to me. This is most simple, realistic, naturalistic book that talks about the sourness of life in a sweet manner.
Surumikareem
May 06, 2013 Surumikareem rated it it was amazing
cant forget this novel.. awsum... all charecters are still in my mind.. since i have readen this novel before 7 years
Devanarayanan
May 05, 2016 Devanarayanan rated it it was amazing
Started reading and couldn't stop reading it. Finished reading it within hours. Great book
ashwin
Mar 19, 2017 ashwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple yet a fun read.
It gives out many messages.
Ardra
Dec 24, 2014 Ardra rated it it was amazing
Genius. Pathummayude aadu gives us a glimpse into the life of Sultan, as raw and real as it was without any added glitter. When the majority of us count on only our sorrows and hardships, Basheer in his own words has said "isn't it better to laugh than cry" . "Pathummayude aadu" has been written in that viewpoint, showing the realities of life in a positive note, without any attempts to pull on sympathy. For the reader to read and laugh and later ponder.. only when we think again do we realise.. ...more
Vijay
Apr 03, 2013 Vijay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
குடுமப உறவுகளில(லும) உளள சுயநலததை, குரூரததை, அறபததனததை - கொடிய வறுமையில அவை மிகையாவதை - மிகுநத சமநிலையுடன பேசுகிறது இநநாவல.

சுயசரிதை-புனைககதைகளின கலவையான இபபடைபபில பஷீர கீழமையை வெளிபபடுததும/எதிரகொளளும விதததில காடடும பககுவமும பணபும மிகவும பிரமமிகக வைககிறது. அதே சமயததில இவவாறு புனைவில மடடுமே பாவலா காடட முடியும எனற எரிசசலையும சநதேகததையும சேரநதே எழுபபுகிறது.
Ramshi Reloaded
Oct 01, 2014 Ramshi Reloaded rated it it was amazing
the first novel which made me laugh alot. With his normal native slang and Genuine comedies and Impossible narration, this has been historical one in literature field itself. Thr novel was his own real life and the characters are the real members of his family, including a goat, Hens, Jackfruits etc. !! No plastic situations and humours... I love all the Basheerian novels and stories
Arathi Mohan
Jan 31, 2015 Arathi Mohan rated it really liked it
Shelves: india, malayalam
Characters that breathe life, make you laugh first, think for a long time and then cry afterwards. The author tries to tell us the life of a poverty-stricken family by using the character of a ravenous goat. Incredible work of literature in the Malayalam language.
Pathummayude aadu 3 90 Jan 20, 2015 02:09AM
  • സുന്ദരികളും സുന്ദരന്മാരും | Sundarikalum Sundaranmarum
  • മനുഷ്യന് ഒരു ആമുഖം | Manushyanu Oru Aamugham
  • സ്മാരകശിലകൾ | Smarakasilakal
  • ചിദംബര സ്മരണ | Chidambara Smarana
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is regarded as one of the prominent literary figures ever existed in india. He was a legend in Kerala.

He was one of those outspoken figures who revolutionized Malayalam Literature, and Thus the World Literature itself with his dauntless sarcasm, satire, and black humor.

Often referred to as the Beypore Sultan (the king of Beypore) by the colleagues, he was one of the promine
More about Vaikom Muhammad Basheer...