Start by marking “Ash Wednesday” as Want to Read:
Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,039 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Jimmy è un post-adolescente che si è arruolato nell’esercito per capriccio, e passa il tempo a strafarsi coi commilitoni; Christy è una giovane infermiera con la testa sulle spalle – fin troppo, vista la sua tendenza allo scetticismo e all’ipercritica. I due, con un figlio in arrivo, si lasciano, si rimettono insieme, si detestano, si adorano, si sposano e, alla fine di un ...more
Unknown Binding, 221 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ash Wednesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ash Wednesday

K.D. Absolutely
Mar 07, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it
Shelves: celebrity-author
Tell me, how many Hollywood actors can write novels? Especially ones who are still active in movies? Especially if there is no co-writer beside his/her name?

Ethan Hawke (born 1970) has written two decent novels: The Hottest State (1996) and this book, Ash Wednesday (2002). When these books came out, I was not yet into heavy reading so these did not interest me. But a couple of years back, a member in our Filipinos group here in Goodreads favorably commented on these books so when I saw them in m
Daniel Clausen
Dec 25, 2014 Daniel Clausen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can characters who are so multi-layered and so well-developed somehow be problematic?

The problem is that the two characters at the center of this book -- the fledgling couple Jimmy and Christy -- are flaky (or eccentric if you prefer a term with a positive connotation). The problem is that eccentric people are always interesting -- but for arbitrary reasons. They are quitting jobs, doing drugs, getting married, quitting drugs, finding God, cleaning up their bad habits, starting up new bad h
Catherine
Jul 30, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the name of honesty I will tell you that I was skeptical going in... because he's Ethan Hawke, a guy who probably wanted to add "novelist" to his already long and gorgeous resume.

More honesty: Two chapters in I realized that I needed to carry a notebook because I had to pull over constantly to rewind the audio (do we still call it rewinding?) and write down my favorite passages. There were so so many.

"To love each other and live in the truth. To not lie at all. To maintain a perspective on t
Hannah Eiseman-Renyard
Aug 31, 2009 Hannah Eiseman-Renyard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: College dreamers, coffee shop posers, the feckless
’Will-They-Won’t-They?’ On the Road

Those au fait with Ethan Hawke’s ‘philosopher groovy syndrome’ breed of intelligent, dreamy slackers in movie roles such as Reality Bites, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, will find more than a hint of them repeated in this sophomoric tale. The only problem is that, though all those characters are likeable guys with interesting ideas, they might not be the tautest of storytellers.

Army fuckup Jimmy Heartsock finds himself going AWOL to propose to/win back hi
Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
mercoledì delle banalità e dei fessi che non crescono mai

Jimmy è un coglione della specie peggiore: quello che cerca la mamma

Christy Ann è la mamma, nel senso che cerca un coglione da adottare

la frittata è fatta e lei è incinta di un fesso che più che marito vorrebbe essergli figlio

la storia va avanti e indietro per un po', quindi non va da nessuna parte e il lettore, che presumibilmente ha superato i 15 anni, si annoia e gli viene voglia di prenderli a sberle, tutti e due...

poi gli viene in me
Valerie K
It was ok, not bad, and that is what 2 stars is supposed to mean. It was a fairly absorbing read, but the characters were so prone to constant yet shifting self-analysis, always on the brink of disaster or in mid-crisis state, it was like a hyped up version of some fifties melodrama where everyone is having epiphonies every ten seconds, then something happens and they have a new epiphony. It was too much. Still... there was something interesting about the way the two characters thought about the ...more
Karen
Mar 04, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So real! Jimmy and Christy could be the couple next door, your parents, or friends. As Jimmy and Christy travel to Texas they make choices, grow, and question their lives. Such a real, heartfelt book full of inspiration and hope.
Karen
Feb 28, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again I received this book as a birthday present. It's on par with the first book. At it's heart it is a simple tale, but told in such a way that it keeps your interest. The only reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 is because there's a part where he descibes a character as wearing a blue and gold Michigan State sweatshirt. As someone who went to Michigan State I took offence - our colors are green & white - University of Michigan (our main rival) are blue & gold. This mistake is unforg ...more
Aug 06, 2007 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-library
I wanted the book for a while without knowing much about it, other than Ethan Hawke was the author. My then-boyfriend bought it for me. I was unable to like or even mildly stand any of the characters. The part that most bothered me is early on in the book, when the protagonist's future girlfriend lifts up her skirt and shows him "her pussy" because he said "I'm not afraid of you." I couldn't help but feel this was unrealistic (not to mention irritatingly stupid).
Barbm1020
Mar 06, 2015 Barbm1020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Ethan Hawke has made some interesting movies, and I've watched his chapter of Shakespeare Uncovered on PBS. Now I find that he has some serious writing chops. The young people he created for this story are so believable, their predicament so familiar and their pain and struggle so realistic that they seem drawn from life. I recommend this book.
Nellie Airoldi
Jul 17, 2015 Nellie Airoldi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mercoledì delle ceneri può essere riassunto così: Jimmy e Christy (o Christy e Jimmy) si amano, punto. Si potrebbe dire solo questo del romanzo di Ethan Hawke o forse si potrebbe aggiungere che oltre all’amore viene raccontata la scelta di un ragazzo e di una ragazza di sposarsi e diventare una famiglia. Perché non è che la famiglia “la si fa”, come spesso orribilmente si dice, ma la famiglia la si deve far diventare e diventare è un verbo Bello ma terribilmente spaventoso perché include un muta ...more
Samantha
I thought I wouldn't like it, but I did. It was a quick and interesting read. The second half was better than the first.

Some of my favourite moments:

1. The basketball challenge between Jimmy and the 12-year-old, who cries when he loses his brother's money.

2. This exchange:

Steve sat down next to me. "Responsibility," he hissed. "Screw a woman over thirty-five and she'll give you the ride of her life - makes an eighteen-year-old look like a blow-up doll. I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking abo
Dolors
Mar 19, 2013 Dolors rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
An educational reading indeed, either spiritually or rationally speaking.
The novel talks about the life of a young man, Frederic, during the French Revolution and the founding of the French Empire in 1848. It is said that Frederic is in fact Flaubert himself telling about some real events in his life and of course about his platonic love for an older woman, in the book, called Mme Arnoux.
We are able to follow, with a somehow ironic and pessimistic tone, a different set of characters who live th
Sun
Jul 18, 2011 Sun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A riveting read that's fresh and vital and funny. Jimmy Heartsock is a young soldier who breaks up with girlfriend Christy Walker only to propose marriage to her eight days later. The story alternates between the narratives of ambivalent and haunted Christy and the rambunctious but earnest Jimmy. The two drive across America via New Orleans and the craziness of Mardi Gras stopping for an express wedding and some pregnancy woes.

I have no idea whether the story is autobiographical or not (and I do
Tara
I read the beginning, but got tired of the swagger, and so skipped to the end. I want to like your books, Ethan Hawke, but I wasn't feeling this one today.
Doroti
Jan 15, 2015 Doroti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Явно съм я чела и предполагам, че съм я харесала, но нищичко не помня...
Paul
Aug 26, 2014 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I read this book as a fan of the movie, Before Sunset. Ash Wednesday, in so many ways, comes off as a rough draft of Ethan Hawke's contribution to that movie. Maybe it's unfair to compare the two, but I did and I do.

Like the movie, it deals with two confused characters who can't seem to get their lives to sync up with their shaky ideas of what it means to grow up, love someone else, and live meaningful lives. I'm the kind of person who enjoys the pseudo-headache of a winding "what do
Maria João Fernandes
"Só pelo simples facto de algo ser o nosso destino não significa que seja bom."

Este foi um mês longo, preenchido com tudo, menos com leituras, infelizmente. Porém, aos pouquinhos ainda consegui ler mais um livro neste ano de 2014 que acaba amanhã. A leitura foi demasiado longa, mas a minha critica será breve.

"É um hábito. Se não tiveres cuidado, 98% da tua vida acaba por se tornar um hábito."

Jimmy e Christy são um casal de namorados como muitos outros, ora estão perdidamente apaixonados, ora ach
Taylor Church
Jul 13, 2016 Taylor Church rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took about 90% of the book for me to have a clue as to what the title meant, but it's meaning turned out to be beautiful and poetically propagated.

I'm excited to read The Hottest State now, for I've gazed into the creative mind of Hawke, and am pleased with what I saw and felt. A little vulgar at times, but at other times heart-breakingly vivid and beautiful. A fine novel by an amazing actor and promising writer.
Hanna
Dec 17, 2015 Hanna rated it liked it
I was torn apart while reading this book. Part of me really liked it another part was extremely annoyed. Why did I like it? Hawke created two characters that felt utterly realistic. Prototypes of Generation X, born into disfunctional families, lost and frightened, irritatingly self-absorbed, while trying to find their place in the world. They constantly question themselves, their intentions, over-analyze everything. And here's where it started bothering me, I got bored with all the platitudes. E ...more
Pamela
Apr 20, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is one of those books that is better as an audiobook. Most of the book is either external or internal dialog, and I can see where reading it would be taxing and maybe even irritating. Not so listening to it. Ethan Hawke nails it--which he should do since he wrote it. The personalities of the two main characters come through brilliantly clear complete with all their baggage, hopes, dreams, and indecisions. These are definitely two characters I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

It's
Roberta
Jun 19, 2015 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, americana
Libro messo in wishlist praticamente solo perché scritto da Ethan Hawke, l'attore, senza sapere nulla della trama. E' la storia di Jimmy e Christy, delle loro esistenze problematiche e del loro tentativo di condividere la vita e formare una famiglia.

Diana
Jun 09, 2008 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guy that has to face to decision to grow up once his girl gets knocked up. It's been done, of course, but I still found it a good read. Think of Hornby's torn relationships and adult confusion/angst save the funnies and peculiar obsessions. Female POV included.

Snarky's
I might be the only person who preferred The Hottest State to this book. I didn't care too much about these deadbeat characters and their bad choices.
Melody
Aug 14, 2014 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those 'got it for 15 cents at a library sale' books, and pretty good for a book I knew nothing about before I picked it up. It's basically just a survey of the two main characters inner thoughts and experiences - which can be a little self-indulgent at times, but mostly I liked the characters and cared about what happened to them, so it was nice to read. Also, I like this quote (and thus the character who works to get to this point by the end of the book): (view spoiler) ...more
Romany
Sep 10, 2011 Romany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for 50 cents at an Opportunity Shop. Boy meets girl, some trials and tribulations ensue, will there be a happy ending? Not terrible. Worth the 50 cents for sure. Better than a lot of stuff out there.
Joana Faria
Apr 04, 2016 Joana Faria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know Jesse from the 'Before the Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight' movies?
This is the kind of book that he would write: pretentious, mildly irritating, full of cliches. It tries SO HARD to be edgy, it's almost silly.

This bit, for instance: "Sometimes when we made love, I would do a kind of invocation of ancient gods, Apollo or Aphrodite, beckoning them into the room in hopes of casting a spell"...

I'm sorry, what? Apollo? Aphrodite? What have they got to do with anything? - Oh, I get it! You're trying
Bethany
Jun 23, 2007 Bethany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stick to looking scraggly and hot in movies, Mr. Hawke. This book was godawful.
Michael Obiora
As an actor and writer myself, I was interested to see which other actors have written works of fiction in the past. This is the second offering I've read from Ethan Hawke (the first was The Hottest State).
The best thing about both books is the use of dialogue. If this book's author had used a pseudonym I still would have known that it was written by an actor, or at the very least somebody who has worked in the film industry. As actors we tend to have an ear for dialogue, and Hawke's experience
Thomas Shepherd
Apr 04, 2014 Thomas Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic, thoughtful, and insightful read about some not so likeable characters. That is not to say that it is impossible to like Jimmy, Chrissy, or their love story of a road trip as they cross America - just that you can see all to well how easy it would be for either of them to find reasons to dislike the other. In that I guess its all too much life. Which is why, although I wouldn't want to be Jimmy, its also a really good read.

This is Ethan Hawke's second novel. More commonly kno
  • American Knees
  • Dorfpunks.
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • Arthur Mervyn
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • Fox Girl
  • Kalt ist der Abendhauch
  • Memories of Summer: When Baseball Was an Art, and Writing about It a Game
  • Gehen
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • The Tapestries
  • Die Tante Jolesch
Ethan Green Hawke is a four-time Academy Award-nominated American actor, writer and film director.

In 1988, Hawke was cast in a role in director Peter Weir's Dead Poets Society; the film's success was considered Hawke's breakthrough. He left school and appeared in A Midnight Clear, Alive, Reality Bites, Before Sunrise, Gattaca, The Newton Boys, Great Expectations, and many other movies. In 2001, he
More about Ethan Hawke...

“Give your heart to everybody you meet. The rest is pretense.” 35 likes
“Success isn't measured by what you achieve, it's measured by the obstacles you overcome.” 17 likes