Start by marking “Five Women Wearing the Same Dress” as Want to Read:
Five Women Wearing the Same Dress

Five Women Wearing the Same Dress

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  319 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
During an ostentatious wedding reception at a Knoxville, Tennessee, estate, five reluctant, identically clad bridesmaids hide out in an upstairs bedroom, each with her own reason to avoid the proceedings below. They are Frances, a painfully sweet but sheltered fundamentalist; Mindy, the cheerful, wise-cracking lesbian sister of the groom; Georgeanne, whose heartbreak over ...more
Published December 1st 1993 by Dramatists Play Service (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Five Women Wearing the Same Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Women Wearing the Same Dress

Nicki
Apr 15, 2015 Nicki rated it did not like it
It was completely unforgettable as I read it that it is a man writing the conversations of five women. Trite, superficial dialogue, petty obstacles and one-dimensional characters: I guess "stick to what you know" need not apply to Alan Ball.
Trent Gillespie
Mar 16, 2014 Trent Gillespie rated it really liked it
Crass, funny, and poignant. Just finished performing this show to great reviews. Love it!
Sydney Young
Feb 12, 2014 Sydney Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Enjoyable, true, intense, funny and ultimately unresolved, just like life.
Kyle
Sep 17, 2015 Kyle rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
This was a an okay script, a little dated. In the early 90's I could see some of the themes as being relevant, but nowadays, not so much. The edition that I read contained a few word choices that I would want to change if I was producing this play: 1) referring to gay men as "f-gs" just isn't acceptable anymore, and 2) We don't really talk about "catching AIDS" anymore... when we talk about this virus today, we are smart enough to at least refer to it as HIV. I guess this play could be produced ...more
Hope N
Jan 21, 2016 Hope N rated it liked it
Shelves: theater, theatre, humor
A fun, witty play, an early work by the screenwriter of American Beauty and Six Feet Under. Five bridesmaids trying to escape the wedding reception meet in the room of the sister of the bride. Perhaps it's because all of them secretly can't stand bride, or because their old high school flame Tommy Valentine is there flirting left and right, but whatever it is they pour out their hearts with the sensitivity and self-derision typical of Ball's writing. Very enjoyable.
Ødegård Solveig
Apr 16, 2016 Ødegård Solveig rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
A nice and short comedy. I rather enjoyed it sort of like a lazy night snack, read it in one piece in trade of a movie. Its fairly given that the author is a man: the characters seems to be based heavily on the different archetypal woman with nothing really surprising going on in their dialogue. But then again, I thought the same of the only male-character in the play. Although there`s some amount of character-development, I`m glad this isn`t a lengthy piece as it might have dragged on. In the b ...more
Jay DeVine
Jun 09, 2012 Jay DeVine rated it liked it
What happens at the wedding, stays at the wedding. This play is a comedy about five disparate bridesmaids at a wedding. It looks at how they feel about the wedding and life in general. Not a bad play, but not a great play either. The dialogue is good, pacing is very good, I actually wanted this to be longer.
Rachel Schieffelbein
Jan 15, 2015 Rachel Schieffelbein rated it really liked it
This was a fun play. I was looking for a cutting for my HS speech team, and unfortunately I don't think I will find anything appropriate, but I really enjoyed it anyway. The women have a sharp wit, an the dialogue feels natural. It had it's dark moments, but it was handled well.
Kristin
Aug 26, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: actresses
Shelves: theater
Pretty good. Slightly dated, but I'd be interested in ironing those things out for a production. 5 women, 1 man & could be a fun opportunity to costume design & build 5 copies of The Dress (or a budget challenge to borrow them!) Interesting characters, a few good monologues
Janina
Feb 08, 2013 Janina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charmante comédie rappelant irrésistiblement des réunions entre copines, style Desperate Housewives. Réparties drôles et émouvantes parfois ! Un bon moment de détente. L'adaptation française par Anny Romand et Yvon Marciano est excellente !
Tiffany Day
Mar 04, 2016 Tiffany Day rated it really liked it
I liked this. While it's a little dated and it goes to some weird places it never fully explores, (and I really didn't care much for the end), it's an interesting character study with a good balance of laughs and seriousness. 3.5 stars
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Eh, mediocre. Some of the dialogue was humourous in that "hanging out with the gals" kind of way though much of it droned on. Nothing really special to further elaborate on since "Sex & the City" seems to sum it up in a snappier fashion.
Sheri
Jun 24, 2013 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play
This is a great contemporary play. There are five nice sized female roles, all slightly stereotypical, but weirdly balanced. The play is easy to design set and discusses lots of interesting topics well.
Aug 17, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Some excellent moments, but rather forgettable as a script. It's likely a live performance would be much better. Still, I prefer it when a play is just as a good of a read as it is a performance.
Misti
Sep 14, 2015 Misti rated it liked it
Some funny moments, but with the language, drug usage, adultery, homosexuality, and negative religious views, it would push our very conservative community theatre audience over the edge.
Leonard
Jun 09, 2015 Leonard rated it liked it
Not nearly as trite or cliche as the title makes it sound. Not entirely sold on the neat and tidy ending, but again, better than I thought it would be.
Michael
Feb 05, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Another variation on The Big Chill/Fifth of July. It should be its own genre in contemporary theatre. Funny and interesting but not substantive.
Emily
May 22, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
I like this book cause I played Frances and I was amazing!!! lol I probably would have liked it less if it didn't make me a star.
Amy
Oct 13, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
The next show I am designing. Therefore I reserve my opinion until after I am told what the vision of the show is.
Saundra Brewer
Nov 04, 2013 Saundra Brewer rated it liked it
This play, which we'll read this month for Readers' Theatre, was amusing and fun, but I wouldn't give it a rave.
Joneé Lewis
Jul 30, 2015 Joneé Lewis rated it really liked it
This play had me laughing the whole way through... can't wait to audition for it in the fall!
Feb 10, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-2015, plays
GBCT: Too much language, sex, drug use, religion to be appropriate.

Not my cup of tea at all.
Cassie
Feb 04, 2015 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: HBICs
Recommended to Cassie by: Looten
One of my favorite plays and the best experience I've had on stage in a long time.
Jill
Aug 23, 2007 Jill rated it liked it
it's been a while, but how can you go wrong with Alan Ball?
Lisamarie
Jun 19, 2013 Lisamarie rated it it was ok
Disappointing compared to his one-act plays.
Danielle
Oct 14, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Alan Ball's play is PHENOMENAL.
Andrea Carlin
Jan 24, 2013 Andrea Carlin rated it really liked it
First full length play I ever directed!
Joanna
Nov 11, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it
A simple and fulfilling play.
Matt Lydon
Mar 12, 2015 Matt Lydon rated it liked it
cha cha Cheez Whiz!
Mills College Library
812.54 B1871f 1993
2016 Reading Chal...: Five Women Wearing The Same Dress 1 30 Dec 31, 2014 03:15PM
  • Spike Heels
  • The Last Night of Ballyhoo
  • Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune
  • The Baltimore Waltz
  • Boy Gets Girl

Alan Ball is an Academy Award-winning screenwriter, director, producer and occasional actor, who is best known for writing the screenplay for the Oscar-winning film American Beauty, and for creating the HBO original drama series Six Feet Under.
More about Alan Ball...