Start by marking “Ice Age” as Want to Read:
Ice Age

Ice Age

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  12 reviews
ICE AGE is a collection of eight short stories of the strange and the chilling by award-winning author Iain Rowan.

Stories of the dead and the living, and cities at war where it is hard to tell one from the other. Lonely roads and forest paths and wrong turnings. Very wrong turnings. The fiery martyrdom of The New Way, distant voices that call from the sea, and the ice cree
ebook
Published July 2nd 2011 by Iain Rowan, via Smashwords (first published June 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Age

James Everington
I've already reviewed one of the stories in this collection, Lilies, and given it 5-stars, so I've not really left myself any leeway upwards to review Ice Age, which contains Lilies plus seven other stories for the same price... (at the time of writing)

So please consider this a 5star+ review or something.

Anyway, this a great collection of weird, supernatural stories - it's hard to avoid calling such stories 'horror' but some of the tales here are designed to do a lot more than scare you witless.
Karen Siddall
Ice Age is a great short story collection in the horror genre. Each of the eight compact tales is a gem! Mysterious and believable, they come from everyday common place occurrences as well as dystopian futures. The results are somewhere between totally unexpected and delightfully, horrifyingly surprising.

For myself, I am so glad that I ran across this author – a happy acquisition as a free Kindle book! (There are JEWELS in those offerings!) Of course, this taste of Iain Rowan’s work sent me on

NaiNai
The first story--Lilies--was absolutely phenomenal. The rest were good, but nothing else quite hit that high. My least favorites (rating ~3 stars) were Through The Window (the, well, window one), Driving In Circles (the car crash one), and The Circular Path (the forest one). The Call (the sea one) was probably second best, earning 4 stars. Although Sighted (not-zombies from the other POV of the "enemy") was pretty good too, as were Here Comes The New Way and Ice Age. Ice Age had all of the eleme ...more
Birgit
After having read "Nowhere To Go" I was delighted for having the chance to read this short story collection by Iain Rowan as well. While the former falls into the category of crime/thriller, this one goes into quite a different direction which can be best described as speculative fiction with a touch of horror.
Once again the author won me over with his wonderfully detailed narrative and how well devised his characters are (especially considering that those aren't full fledged novels) and he's ce
Katy
Apr 10, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of short stories
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing
Shelves: librarything-win
Book Info: Genre: Horror, suspense Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this eBook from the LibraryThing Members Giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Ice Age is a collection of eight short stories of the strange and the chilling by award-winning author Iain Rowan.

Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
I’ve never read Rowan before, so I was really curious when I kicked into this short story collection. There are eight stories here. They are reprints, so dedicated readers will be already be familiar with them. For those new to Rowan, this is a great introduction.

The collection opens with a story called “Lilies.” “It was Autumn, and the city was at war.” Oh no. War. And is that a hint of zombies? I was growing a little skeptical about this first one, but by the end, I was hooked. Yes it’s about
Darren Sant
Iain Rowan brings together an excellent mix of eclectic stories in Ice Age. He is a master of the short tale, an art form that is under appreciated by some of the big publishers. Iain's work here is enough to make you fall in love all over again with short stories.

All eight stories bring something different to the collection. Iain manages to drag you kicking and screaming into the worlds he crafts. His moody and atmospheric descriptive writing immerses you deeply into the dark tales he weaves.
In
Gothic Readers Book Club
GOTHIC READERS BOOK CLUB CHOICE AWARD WINNER

Iain Rowan is more well known to most people for his crime writing, but he's brilliant at the gothic as well! His short story collection titled Ice Age is one of the most superb collections of dark fiction since Henry James. The stories here all reflect a creeping sense of doom. Hence the title. The cold chill of the grave is reaching out in every line, every paragraph, and every story. Things are wrong, but what? Why? Rowan takes us down very dark, si
Frances
A chilling, weird, and often sad collection. I'm actually a little hesitant to apply the word "horror", rather than simply going with "weird", but upon reflection will say it definitely qualifies.

Short stories, with plain writing; the settings range from the clearly fantastical (if never saccharine) to the strictly Western contemporary, with the weird elements ranging as well from explicit to possibly imagined. Touching and strange, with characters beautifully realized.

(Also, I will note: I boug
Krizia Anna
It was actually a very good collection of short stories. It kind of reminds me of Stephen King's style of writing. Mr. Rowan has lots of potential. Kudos!
Shirley
A well written book. Gave me goosebumps as I read this. In such a simple subtle manner, the dead creep up on you and shake your very existence. Iain has a great way with words, weaving engaging stories. Each starts off simply and then changes suddenly to shock you.. there is a lot of scope for the reader's imagination to just jump in and work around what's happening. Though all were excellent... the first three stories were by far more interesting. I received this book a part of a LibraryThing g ...more
Elizabeth
Lovely collection of short stories and each one is very different. Lovely read for anyone who needs to wait on anything. A lovely way to spend an afternoon in the sun.
Lora Allen
Lora Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Christopher Jones
Christopher Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
kathryn
kathryn marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Kysha
Kysha marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Joshua Soberg
Joshua Soberg marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Joe Peterson
Joe Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sarah Tg
Sarah Tg marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Bob
Bob added it
Jul 09, 2014
Dewanna L. Durbin
Dewanna L. Durbin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Leland
Leland marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Blah Smith
Blah Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I've had a lot of short stories published, and some of those have won awards and been reprinted in anthologies. I was shortlisted for the UK Crime Writers' Association Debut Dagger novel award a while back. I'm now working on something else.

ONE OF US is the crime novel that was shortlisted for the Debut Dagger, and which is now published in paperback and ebook by Infinity Plus.

NOWHERE TO GO is a c