Start by marking “Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens” as Want to Read:
Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens

Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Chickens show off their human side in Sloane Tanen's irresistible dioramas.

With more personality than most people have to spare, New York artist Sloane Tanen's tiny yellow chickens negotiate the tricky modern world, filled with three-headed blind dates, menacing KFCs, playground popularity battles, and annoyingly crowded yoga classes. They perch amid doll furniture, in sce
Published 2003 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter with Baggage Seeks Same

Michelle
I loved this book.

A few years ago I asked for a copy of the "chick book" for Christmas. It reminds me a little bit of Anne Taintor, but, you know, with chickens.
Merrin
Oct 09, 2007 Merrin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with a wicked sense of humor
Shelves: laughoutloud
It's hard to describe this book without just handing it to you and sitting back to watch your reaction, because I tell you, I'd love to watch every single person I know read it. It's so hysterical.

Sloane Tanen is a visual artist in New York City. She makes these little shadow boxes with plastic chickens that live out modern day situations, both normal and fantastical.

In one, a chick is sitting on a bed facing a little frog, who is wearing a crown. The caption reads "Anastasia was through makin
Alvera
This is certainly not fine literature, more of a tongue in cheek collection of artworks and scenarios with baby chickens telling crazy tales. It was definitely good for flipping through with my sister and laughing at many of the pages. :p

Some of my favorites:
A chicken with another between her legs in what looks like a tiny dentist chair with the caption: Had Saffron fully grasped the excruciating pains of childbirth she would have insisted on the epidural from the first. What cared what the midw
Clare
Not everyone's sense of humor, but certainly mine. Kids didn't get it, but I laughed and laughed.

It's tough explaining this book to someone who hasn't seen it: "See, she takes these little toy fluffy chicks and surrounds them with props and sets the scenes and takes pictures of them, then writes these captions...". About this time, the person you're talking to (my husband) gives you a strange look and you say, weakly, "It's not for everyone..."
Whitney
Jun 21, 2007 Whitney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
The fact that this woman makes money off of designing little sets with little chickens and photographing them and putting them in books with funny quotes makes me jealous. I want to do that.
Teresa Medeiros
I first fell in love with Sloane Tanen’s work when I read the caption above a photo with a little chicken sitting on a swing set and peering around the playground: “Samantha looked around the playground in amazement. Her mother had been right. She really WAS the smartest and the prettiest.” Now I ask you--has there ever been a more apt mascot for me and some of my equally ambitious writer friends?

If you thought you had to give up picture books when you graduated from second grade, have I got a
Marina
The Scoop:

What's there to say? Sloane Tanen creates super cute dioramas featuring super cute chicks in entertaining situations.

My Thoughts:

I first came across this book by way of her children's books. And, really, who doesn't think chicks aren't cute? Not me. I love chickens. I'll prove it--just look at my own personal flock:

Anyway, this is a cute, clever, quick read that packs a punch and not a few laughs. It usually takes a bit for me to work up the energy (or the appreciation) to let loose wi
Julie Maruskin
Made me laugh at every page; who'd have thought chickens could be capable of such brilliantly witty and diabolical things?
denise
I never knew I could laugh so hard at pipe cleaners! Mildly inappropriate, what appears at first glance to be a children's picture book, was definitely not written for children. Join Coco, Cinderella, and all their friends as they whine, bitch, and complain about their lot in life. There's a chicken serial killer, a vengeful toddler in a playpen (think Stewie as a chicken), and the proverbial "which came first" discussion.

I hear that the author, SloaneTanen, actually sells the dioramas. I would
Megan Doreen
Amusing. Good bathroom read.
Punk
Dec 03, 2008 Punk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Punk by: Sab
Shelves: picture-book
Picture Book. Does what it says on the box -- dioramas of some chickens, with funny captions. The pictures are great, fun for looking at, or, if you're like me, for squinting at and thinking, "I bet she used hair gel for the water..." The captions are funny or sad, or both. My favorite: "Anastasia was through making out with Ian. He was never going to change." Ian, here, is a frog. The tone -- dry, flippant, and reminiscent of Anne Taintor -- makes this book a keeper.

Five stars for awesomeness.
HeavyReader
This book was really kind of dumb. It was on display for the my library's adult summer reading program, and it looked kind of fun, so I borrowed it. What a dud!

The book consists of photographs of shadow box type installations in which fake fluffy yellow chicks do human things, expression human emotions. I wish there had been some context to the fluffy chick installations. Why were they done? Why of why? What do they mean? What are they for?

Is this art? Really?
Mary Cartledgehayes
Peeps photo-ops. Who knew what all they were up to? The cleverness of the staging is matched by the accompanying text.

My favorite: A bed with a linen coverlet. Beside is a wooden chest of drawers upon which is a candle in a candlestick. At the head of the bed is the wide-eyed, long-eyelashed peep, wearing a crown. In front of her? One frog, green.

The text: Anastasia was through making out with Ian. He was never going to change.

Pure fun.
Davytron
I received this book as a gift from a clinical supervisor I had during undergrad and I will treasure it always. I can't express how hilarious this book is. Not only is the finished product amazing, but picturing the author producing these ridiculous chicken dioramas makes me cackle uncontrollably (a birthing scene!? amazing). I would frame and hang some if I didn't love the book so much.
Mereke
If you have not seen this series you are missing out on some pretty funny artwork projects using chickens. My little niece thinks the pictures are great, I just don't read her the *very adult* captions below them. The author hits the nail on the head when it comes to women of today's generation in NYC. I can't say how many times I've re-read these or shown them to other people.
Tori
I hope no one misfiles this in the Children's Section thinking it's a picture book. I came across it in Young Adult, and am not sure it belongs there (though my 17 year old daughter read it with me and loved it). Totally bizarre! One can explain, but it would defeat the purpose--you just have to see it. Great title.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘
This is such a great wacky little book! Both the photographs & texts are guaranteed to put a smile on anyone's face:) Ok, so the idea of photographing plastic chicks surrounded by doll house furniture might sound strange but the book is really, really funny! I just laugh every time I pick it up and look at the images:)
Tracy
my friend kathi gave me this after a major transition in my life and i'm a huge sloane tanen fan (her dad wrote ferris bueller's day off -- and named the girlfriend after sloane). anyhow, i've bought more copies of her books as gifts for friends. and the kids books are AWESOME.
Leah
The Bitter With Baggage books are beyond hilarious. They feature pipe-cleaner chickens in all sorts of compromising predicaments that are pee-in-your-pants funny. There is also stationary and another book specifically for mothers. Am a HUGE fan!
Chandra
Very, very, very funny! Unless of course it is a representation of your life, then it's still kind of funny, but also a little sad. The pictures in this book are a riot. I bought it for a divorced friend to help make her laugh again.
Sonya
Usually don't care for animals dressed/accessorized as humans ... the concept leaves me cold. But This One, oh my, This One!!! Read it and laughed. Bought a copy and laughed some more. Passed it on, but still laugh when I think of it!
Niki
Aug 21, 2009 Niki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Niki by: Gord
This book is the greatest. It's essentially these tiny chicken chicks set up in these great scenes, at yoga, in bed, at the salon, with snarky little comments written on the page. Flip through the book, it's pretty fabulous.
Feb 23, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
This review sold me:

"It reminds me a little bit of Anne Taintor, but, you know, with chickens."

- Michelle from Pleasanton
Laren
Aug 29, 2008 Laren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
This book has page after page of somewhat random captions illustrated by dioramas of little chicks. The dioramas are complete genius, although the captions can be hit or miss.
Shelli
Not a kids book! Adult comedy displayed in cute picture book form. Some pages gave me a serious case of the giggles. A fun book to read over coffee with a girlfriend.
leigh
Larissa gave me this book. Its about chickens, it's shallow. pictures of cotton ball chickens hanging out and complainging. I thought it was time I added this book.
Arielle
It's Coco for adults. This would make a great coffee table book. If you read this book and didn't laugh then I prolly couldn't be friends with you anymore...
Paola
Pom-pom chickens in real life situations/scenes with people names like Maud and Margaret. Hilarious. Not for children.
A gift from one of my sisters. Which?
Kricket
Oct 14, 2014 Kricket rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kricket by: rae
Shelves: art, hiiiilarious, 2007, 2014
my sister and i love to read these together. they make us laugh our arses off.

first read: 2007
reread: 2014

verdict: still hilarious.
Lacey
Jun 07, 2009 Lacey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is the most delightful book of chicken dioramas I have ever seen. Really. If you don't find it cute, you're probably ridiculous.
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • SuicideGirls: Beauty Redefined
  • Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu
  • Look at This Fucking Hipster
  • The Book of Jezebel: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Lady Things
  • Work Is Hell
  • All the Wrong People Have Self-Esteem: An Inappropriate Book for Young Ladies*
  • Zoe and Chloe: On the Prowl (Zoe & Chloe, #1)
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • The Charles Addams Mother Goose
  • The Cream of Tank Girl
  • Great Lies to Tell Small Kids
  • The Daria Diaries
  • The Cat at Night
  • All Colour but the Black: The Art of Bleach
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Parenting
  • Please Take Me Off the Guest List
Trying to write books while raising two boys in Oakland, CA.
More about Sloane Tanen...
Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? Appetite for Detention Going for the Bronze: Still Bitter, More Baggage Hatched!: The Big Push from Pregnancy to Motherhood Where Is Coco Going?