Start by marking “Stairway Walks in San Francisco” as Want to Read:
Stairway Walks in San Francisco

Stairway Walks in San Francisco

Hundreds of stairways traverse San FranciscoOCOs 42 hills, exposing incredible vistas while connecting colorful, unique neighborhoods, and veteran guide Adah Bakalinsky loves them all. Her updated "Stairway Walks in San Francisco" explores clandestine corridors from Lands End to Bernal Heights while sharing captivating architectural, historical, pop culture, and horticultu ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Wilderness Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Stairway Walks in San Francisco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stairway Walks in San Francisco

jen
Jun 26, 2010 jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this book regularly to plan walking adventures in San Francisco. I recommend the current version for its slightly improved layout, but past editions are fine as well. Years ago I did some of the suggested stairway walks, but now I mostly plan my own walks; the list of stairways in the bank of the book, by neighborhood and with ratings and notes, is very useful for planning purposes. This is a great book overall; my only wish would be for a pull-out map that included all of the stairways. E ...more
Hillary
Mar 16, 2009 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. Adah uncovers hidden gems in out of the way San Francisco neighborhoods. Adah covers history, neighborhood stories, architecture, and botany within each walk, with each one takes about two hours and features several stairways around the city. Out of 27 walks, I have done about half, and have yet to be disappointed. I highly recommend this book to anyone in SF.
Ellie Lum
Apr 30, 2010 Ellie Lum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best book to get to know San Francisco. It takes you to so many hidden streets you would never see on your own. It is such a wonderful way to adventure in such a beautiful city. Best tourist book ever.
Chad
Aug 12, 2010 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great choice for visitors to SF who have done all the standard tourista stuff. Good when paired with "Cracks in the Asphalt" by Alex Hatch.
Cassandra
Dec 21, 2011 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went on all 27 walks in 2011. A great way to explore the city.
Temoca
May 20, 2011 Temoca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in San Francisco my friends and I stumbled on one of these famous stairway walks. It's funny coming on this because on a previous trip with these same friends, we didn't walk up stairs, but a steep hill which quickly became known as the "climb to Heaven."

The stairs we came on were on Telegraph Hill on one side of the Coit Tower. Beautiful views of the bay, gardens, and the city. I was talking to a family and the woman mentioned this book. The next stop at a San Fran bookstore and I bought
Anne
Sep 08, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to further exploring some of the far reaches of the city. Probably would have enjoyed more with more background in architecture as much of the writing focused on such things. Was surprised that I had done many of the walks while randomly wandering around the city.
Suzanne
Dec 29, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have lived in San Francisco for 20 years and this book has led me to places I never would have known about! We always try a few walks when my family comes to town. The newest edition (7th) has more walks added. I enjoy learning about historical aspects of the neighborhoods, as well as architectural details. I would highly recommend this book for both visitors & residents!
Thomas
Feb 18, 2008 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wil br reading this book for a while. I am not sure when I wiull complet all of teh walks. Each of the walks does have map and a considerable amount of detail. You ahve to read go, stop read, and then go again
Monica
Mar 13, 2010 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
do these walks,it will enrich your life! get out of your car, and start walking the city's stairwells, seeing it from every angle. You will be delighted! promise.
casey simonsen
casey simonsen rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Cora
Cora rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
David Lindsey
David Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Susanne
Susanne rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Rowena
Apr 16, 2008 Rowena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-books
great for nice sunday afternoons!
Laura rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Jim Medeiros
Jim Medeiros rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Al
Al rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2011
Diane Martin
Diane Martin rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2014
Laurie Neighbors
Laurie Neighbors rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
sandy
sandy rated it really liked it
May 17, 2007
Alletta
Alletta rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Coley
Coley rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2009
Henk Pechler
Henk Pechler rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2014
Sylvie Privat
Sylvie Privat rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Historic San Francisco: A Concise History and Guide
  • Golden Gate Gardening: Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area and Coastal California
  • San Francisco Stories: Tales of the City
  • Golden Gate: The Life and Times of America's Greatest Bridge‎
  • Infinite City: A San Francisco Atlas
  • Imperial San Francisco: Urban Power, Earthly Ruin
  • Cool Gray City of Love: 49 Views of San Francisco
  • John Muir Trail: The essential guide to hiking America's most famous trail
  • The Barbary Coast: An Informal History of the San Francisco Underworld
  • All Over Coffee
  • California Hiking: The Complete Guide to 1,000 of the Best Hikes in the Golden State (Moon Outdoors)
  • The Haight-Ashbury: A History
  • Amo, Amas, Amat and More
  • The World of Peter Rabbit (Original Peter Rabbit, Books 1-23)
  • The Celebrated Cases of Sherlock Holmes