Blank-133x176
The Multiplayer Classr...

Lee Sheldon

The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game: Designing Coursework as a Game

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  13 reviews

THE MULTIPLAYER CLASSROOM: DESIGNING COURSEWORK AS A GAME is a how-to guide to creating games for the classroom to better reach today's students. The book shows the reader how to create a teaching tool that will engage and excite students by using styles and formats found in popular video games. Readers will learn how to create a variety of multiplayer games on any subject

Published June 14th 2011 by Cengage Learning (first published June 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Multiplayer Classroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Multiplayer Classroom

Aaron Maurer
One of my current education interests has been gamification in the education setting. I know that there are many beliefs about this topic, but I really believe that if done right the potential for this mode of teaching is unstoppable.

I have joined many online sites, chats, webinars, etc. pertaining to gamification and just keep falling in love with what people are doing. I am obsessed with this topic with about as much obsessionness(if even a word) as I am about going global in the classroom.

Man...more
Jen
I read this book as I was co-creating a gamified reading project for the freshman English classes at our high school. I liked the way it was laid out, with the author describing the evolution of his own class design process, interspersed with examples of other classes using multiplayer concepts. We rolled out our project earlier this week and it was fun to see the students' responses - from cautiously optimistic to highly motivated. A few were practically on their feet as they realized they woul...more
Graham Herrli
This book is one large case study that contains several smaller case studies within it. The large case study is a first-hand account by Professor Lee Sheldon of how he turned his rebranded his classroom as a game. Many of the smaller case studies are written by teachers who heard about Sheldon’s Multiplayer Classroom through a TED talk and decided to try turning their own classes into games.

Sheldon is a former professional TV writer, so the book is written in a more entertaining style than many...more
William
Some good information, but would have liked more details on, for instance, different ways of designing and utilizing experience points for course grading. What is there got me started, but left me wanting additional perspectives.
Tim Scholze
This is a must read for any teacher interested in the gamification of his or her classroom. No other book has the practical advice or case studies than this book.
Jenn
I am pretty much in love with this book. It did exactly what I wanted it to do:
- gave me reasoning for designing a class in a game that is rooted in research and popular theories
- gave several case studies for real life examples to compare/contrast/get awesome design tips
- gave a heads up on concerns when it comes to gamifying the classroom (and ways to overcome some of those concerns)
- prepared me for a future in trying it out myself by giving just enough to get started and several resources t...more
Patty
I expected a dry textbook and was pleasantly surprised. Sheldon's clear, friendly tone and his helpful definitions of gaming terms throughout the text made this a fun read. While I am not a gamer, I've had students who are, and I picked this up in hopes that I could find a way to motivate those for whom grades don't matter. The book contains helpful case histories and suggestions, and its resource suggestions should be helpful to those who want to try incorporating gaming into the classroom.
Josiah
This is pretty cool, but it still requires the teacher to be very imaginative for it to work. The system helps, but uncreative "quest designers" and "game designers" will be met with the same lack of enthusiasm that spawns negative game reviews.
Craig
Interesting exploration even if it reads like you are only getting half a conversation. Case histories are interesting. I would have liked to see more exploration of XP/ assessment.
Nancy Evans
Read this in a day and would LOVE to be able to pull this off for my 6th grade social studies classes.
Geroge Cohta
Now, I will tell you straight up: There is content in this book that feels like filler.
Mournfulbliss
Great ideas in theory, but I struggle to see this happen on a college level.
C.S.
interesting read on the idea of turning your course into a game.
Chrisann Justice
Chrisann Justice marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Deepak Cheenath
Deepak Cheenath is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Suzie
Suzie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Enrique Bores
Enrique Bores marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Daniel Maurath
Daniel Maurath marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jason Carney
Jason Carney marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Tamara Eléa
Tamara Eléa marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Paul Blankenship
Paul Blankenship is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Nhe
Nhe marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Character Development for Game (Game Development Series) Impossible Bliss The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game, 1st Edition Practical Game Design: A Toolkit for Educators, Researchers, and Corporations