Start by marking “The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game: Designing Coursework as a Game” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Multiplayer Classr...

Lee Sheldon

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

THE MULTIPLAYER CLASSROOM: DESIGNING COURSEWORK AS A GAME is a how-to guide to creating games for the classroom to better reach today's students. The book shows the reader how to create a teaching tool that will engage and excite students by using styles and formats found in popular video games. Readers will learn how to create a variety of multiplayer games on any subject

Published June 14th 2011 by Cengage Learning (first published January 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Multiplayer Classroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Multiplayer Classroom

Aaron Maurer
Sep 14, 2012 Aaron Maurer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
One of my current education interests has been gamification in the education setting. I know that there are many beliefs about this topic, but I really believe that if done right the potential for this mode of teaching is unstoppable.

I have joined many online sites, chats, webinars, etc. pertaining to gamification and just keep falling in love with what people are doing. I am obsessed with this topic with about as much obsessionness(if even a word) as I am about going global in the classroom.

Man
Jen
Jan 29, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as I was co-creating a gamified reading project for the freshman English classes at our high school. I liked the way it was laid out, with the author describing the evolution of his own class design process, interspersed with examples of other classes using multiplayer concepts. We rolled out our project earlier this week and it was fun to see the students' responses - from cautiously optimistic to highly motivated. A few were practically on their feet as they realized they woul ...more
Graham Herrli
This book is one large case study that contains several smaller case studies within it. The large case study is a first-hand account by Professor Lee Sheldon of how he turned his rebranded his classroom as a game. Many of the smaller case studies are written by teachers who heard about Sheldon’s Multiplayer Classroom through a TED talk and decided to try turning their own classes into games.

Sheldon is a former professional TV writer, so the book is written in a more entertaining style than many
Michael Sclafani
The book serves as an interesting case study (with smaller studies) about his own classes. Unfortunately, given that those classes are all college level classes in game design, I often found that I could not translate his experience over to mine. Particularly because he had a group with already a good amount of buy-in (his students were predisposed to fantasy terms far more than mine)

Much of what he discussed seemed superficial (calling homework "mobs," or exams "boss fights"). While his course
James Swenson
Sheldon describes, chronologically, the courses which he modeled after multiplayer online games. He provides the syllabi, and even the names of the students' avatars, from each course.

There's a lot of filler here; the book would be more useful if it were condensed into a paper, maybe of 10 or 12 pages.
Patrik
Mar 25, 2015 Patrik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an effort to update and (hopefully) improve my college classes, I have lately been researching and implementing the flipped classroom approach and competency (specification) assessment. The next step seemed to be gamification; the use of game design and game elements in non-game context (like a classroom).

Sheldon's book is a description of his experience turning two or three of his "game design" courses into multi-player games. The overall impact seems to be better attendance and slightly hi
William
Some good information, but would have liked more details on, for instance, different ways of designing and utilizing experience points for course grading. What is there got me started, but left me wanting additional perspectives.
Gabriel
Mar 03, 2016 Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The Multiplayer Classroom is a helpful book that gives educators ideas on to treat their classroom as video game. The misconception before reading Lee Sheldon's book is that will help educators how to incorporate videos games into their curriculum. And while there is certainly ideas on to incorporate video games, Sheldon mentions that the ideas used in video games is what teachers and educators should get out of his book. Comparing video games to a classroom, the goal at the end of any objectiv ...more
Tim Scholze
Jun 08, 2014 Tim Scholze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for any teacher interested in the gamification of his or her classroom. No other book has the practical advice or case studies than this book.
Stan Skrabut
I finished reading The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game* by Lee Sheldon. In this book, Sheldon shares his experiences of gamifying his classroom. Having been a game designer, Sheldon set out to test whether or not game mechanics could positively influence the classroom. This book details the lessons he learned and the processes he explored. In the book, he criticizes current education methods and highlights strategies for learning that he picked up as a game designer. I like ...more
Scott
Jul 27, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will help catalyze two years worth of ideas, notes, and small/medium classroom experiments into a full-fledged roll-out of Seeker as the framework for my SOPHS and HNRS SOPHS classes this year. Students--Seekers--will level up companion characters like Sherlock Holmes and Guy Montag as they read. They will also level-up themselves as Seekers from Lost to Trailblazers as they write. Here we go! (*Mario voice*)
Jenn
Jan 02, 2016 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am pretty much in love with this book. It did exactly what I wanted it to do:
- gave me reasoning for designing a class in a game that is rooted in research and popular theories
- gave several case studies for real life examples to compare/contrast/get awesome design tips
- gave a heads up on concerns when it comes to gamifying the classroom (and ways to overcome some of those concerns)
- prepared me for a future in trying it out myself by giving just enough to get started and several resources t
Ed Shapard
Dec 02, 2014 Ed Shapard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Good ideas, and useful if you want to gamify your classroom, but much less of a 'how to' guide and more of a memoir of someone who did this.
Marcel
Mar 16, 2016 Marcel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is what the title says, and if you are planning to gamify your classroom, this is required reading.
Patty
Jul 21, 2012 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected a dry textbook and was pleasantly surprised. Sheldon's clear, friendly tone and his helpful definitions of gaming terms throughout the text made this a fun read. While I am not a gamer, I've had students who are, and I picked this up in hopes that I could find a way to motivate those for whom grades don't matter. The book contains helpful case histories and suggestions, and its resource suggestions should be helpful to those who want to try incorporating gaming into the classroom.
Craig
Dec 26, 2011 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games
Interesting exploration even if it reads like you are only getting half a conversation. Case histories are interesting. I would have liked to see more exploration of XP/ assessment.
Apostolos
Not a bad book. Sort of expected more - but it's good to see the concept applied to different classrooms, and witness the evolution of a design.
Nancy Evans
Jun 13, 2013 Nancy Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Read this in a day and would LOVE to be able to pull this off for my 6th grade social studies classes.
Geroge Cohta
Feb 27, 2013 Geroge Cohta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, I will tell you straight up: There is content in this book that feels like filler.
Mournfulbliss
Great ideas in theory, but I struggle to see this happen on a college level.
C.S.
interesting read on the idea of turning your course into a game.
Pam
Pam is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2016
Laura Leppke
Laura Leppke rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Tiaan Lötter
Tiaan Lötter marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Larry Ousley
Larry Ousley rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Mark Allen
Mark Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Tehemamma
Tehemamma marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sergio Travieso
Sergio Travieso rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Grasshopper: Games, Life and Utopia
  • Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design
  • What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy
  • The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-Based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education
  • Game Design Workshop: A Playcentric Approach to Creating Innovative Games
  • The Ambiguity of Play
  • For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • Smart Things: Ubiquitous Computing User Experience Design