Start by marking “A Boy of Good Breeding” as Want to Read:
A Boy of Good Breeding

A Boy of Good Breeding

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  900 ratings  ·  89 reviews
From the acclaimed Giller Prize Finalist and Governor General’s Award Winner: a delightfully funny and charming second novel about Canada’s smallest town.

Life in Winnipeg didn’t go as planned for Knute and her daughter. But living back in Algren with her parents and working for the longtime mayor, Hosea Funk, has its own challenges: Knute finds herself mixed up with Hosea’
Audiobook
Published June 4th 2009 by Recorded Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy of Good Breeding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy of Good Breeding

Jennifer (aka EM)
Another fantastic book by Toews, with all her characteristic quirk, humour and poignancy. I think this might be among my faves of hers ... but then, aren't they all? Some things:

1. She's one of those authors who does something magical turning plain-jane words into stories. Magical, as in deceptive: she creates something out of nothing, like making coins appear from behind ears or rabbits out of hats. She reminds me of Alice Munro in a way (and no, I don't think that comparison is at all outlandi
Clif Hostetler
Who else but the author Miriam Toews could place a story in the "smallest town in Canada" where nothing interesting could ever possibly happen, and make the story interesting. She conjers up a collection of idiosyncratic personalities loaded with foibles and obsessions, and then proceeds to make them believeable and, if not loveable, at least interesting.

Never before in history has a small town mayor had to concentrate so mightily of such trivial details in order to maintain the town's populati
Greg
Miriam Toews is from Winnipeg, the great Canadian city that has given the world John K. Samson / The Weakerthans, and Marcel Dzama. Besides being from Winnipeg this book could be set in a Canadian cousin town to Donald Harington's Staymore; oh and she also writes in such an effortlessly feeling kind of way that Harington does, which is also a good thing. The book is also quite funny, and the little girl in the book made me really smile in almost every scene she was in. So unlike most books I lik ...more
Dnicebear
If I do not live in a small town, at least I can read about one and enjoy it, thanks to Ms Toews. This small Canadian town is outside of Winnipeg, and its mayor, Hosea Funk, plots, plans and counts continuously, hoping it will remain at the number of residents so that it qualifies to be visited by the prime minister.

Ms Toews stretches each character in certain ways to bring out their weirdnesses--or, is that what small towns do to us, magnify our quirks?

The first chapter is full of heroic deeds,
PescePirata
*** Recensione a cura de La Redazione di PescePirata ***

Che questa sia una storia originale, e che Miriam sia una scrittrice con una gran bella voce, lo si dovrebbe capire subito. Ma io ci ho messo un bel po’ di pagine.
Dicono che oggigiorno la sovraesposizione alle sostanze inquinanti accresca clamorosamente l’incidenza delle allergie. Credo che mi stia accadendo qualcosa di simile nei riguardi degli States. Quello che sa di americano mi infastidisce, in particolare la lingua (quanto preferisco
Mary Pessaran
The characters in this book are not people you know. With names like Knute, Hosea Funk, Summer Feelin', Euphemia, Combine Jo, and a dog named Bill Quinn, you should expect some quirkiness. They are likable in their own ways and they are made more "normal" by "normal" people loving them (Hosea's girlfriend, Lorna, for example). Sad things happen, but it's not a sad book. To its credit, not once did I look ahead to see what might happen. I wanted to be there as the story unfolded, and I assumed th ...more
Ruth Conrad
This book is funny and entertaining, but I still prefer Toews's first two more serious books. While highlighting the daily lives of the characters in a small town in Canada, the author also addresses questions of identity and parentage in a light way. Many surprises occur as the mayor tries to keep his town's population at exactly 1,500.
Steve
Toews always manages to create characters with whom it is easy to empathize.
Nothing overly serious here, just a nice little story about
a small town, a mayor with an obsessive personality, and everyday people
struggling to deal with relationships, life, death, and a dog who is his own man....errrr....dog.
Thais
A me piacciono i libri buffi, con personaggi bizzarri e vicende strampalate e al limite dell'inverosimile. Questo romanzo è tutto ciò e (non) molto di più, ma non è riuscito a conquistarmi.
Il tira e molla per far sì che la cittadina di Algren abbia esattamente millecinquecento abitanti, così da meritare la visita del primo ministro in qualità di città più piccola del Canada, è senz'altro divertente, ma tirato un po' troppo per le lunghe, quindi tende a stancare.
Il personaggio del sindaco Hosea è
Kathleen
Algren, where the sky is the color of tolet bowl cleaner and staying the smallest town in Canada is the mayor's number one priority. This book will make you smile.
Sally Whitehead
I love small town fiction, and I love quirky offbeat characters, so this tale of small town Canada (THE smallest town in Canada no less, a fact which is crucial to the wonderfully loose and unhurried plot line)was an instant hit with me.

The cast of characters are all gorgeously realised, even those such as Uncle Jack who only makes one real very brief, but delightfully memorable appearance.

This is the second novel I've read of Toews, I have another on the shelves to read I had (foolishly) forgot
Darren Tang
If ever there was a novel that emulated the saying "it's not the *destination*, but the *journey* that counts" (lol thanks djordje) then this novel would surely be it. Behind the main characters obsession of meeting his dad, whom he believes is the prime minister of Canada, lay the smallest Canadian town: Algren. While the plot is propelled with the wonder and curiosty as to what will happen when and if Hosea meets his father, at the end of the novel it becomes clear that although the aforementi ...more
Fischwife
Toews is one of my favourite authors, but this may be my least favourite of her books, so far. It is humourous and clever, and it kept us entertained during our drive to Kelowna and halfway back, so I'm not saying it's a bad book. Far from it. I still gave it a 4-star rating. It's just that I didn't relate to the characters quite as much as I have in other books. That may be due to "reading" it in audio format, although the reader was excellent.

This book is set in Canada's smallest town--a disti
Rachel
"Someone had once told Knute that March in Manitoba was seductive. It was warmish, it was coolish, it was come-hither, it was standoff-ish. March in Manitoba was really more flirtatious than seductive, thought Knute. More precocious teenage girl than smouldering femme fatale. She would have said August was more of a seductive month. Anyway, it was March. Knute looked around, expecting to be seduced, not sure by what. She didn't really like that word much, seduced. Marilyn, on the other hand, was ...more
fleegan
This book is great, but I found one of the main characters, Hosea, so annoying that I hated it when I would get to one of his parts of the book. He wasn't a bad character, just a little crazy. And I kept thinking, "yes, he's crazy, we get it, now let's get back to the better characters."

There's basically two storylines, the one with Hosea, the mayor of the smallest town in Canada, and Knute a young mother who moves back to the small town with her daughter. Since this is Canada's smallest town t
Phredric
I really like Miriam Toews - I've read her recent books and this was her second novel back in 1998. It's interesting her humour and way with words is very much in evident. The characters are quirky and cute - perhaps a little too quirky - but not really very strong, and there's not a lot of narrative drive. I found myself skipping parts of the text towards the end.
Martine Peacock
Aside from the the fear of what further horrors I would find among the pages of this library book (my first discovery being a bogey!) I was eager to keep turning the pages. Towes' writing is natural and easy, and the premise of the book was fun - a mayor needing to keep the population of his town at exactly 1500 so that the Canadian Prime Minister (who he believes to be his father) will visit on Canada Day. That said, I did find the book starting to drag just a little in the middle - but I think ...more
Rose
Really cool and original idea for a story - I kept reading because I wanted to find out what would unfold - but ultimately a bit disappointing. I think it either should have been shorter (with fewer "useless" characters) or longer (adding more sustainable plot twists and leaving room for character development, which I feel it sorely lacked). It was very funny though.
Charlotte
a lovely book, how have I missed Miriam Toews for so long?? delighted to see there are so many more for me to read :-).
Joanna
This was the first book I read by Miriam Toews. It's got an interesting concept but I found it moved slowly.
Talia
Didn't get through it. The writing is fine; the hokey bumpkin quirkiness is for someone else.
Mallee Stanley
I found some of Miriam Toews's books a little too sad but this one was so funny.
Adam  McPhee
Kind of a different novel for Toews, focusing on a community instead of a single person or family. Reminded me of John Swartzwelder, maybe because of its jokiness. Or Lynn Coady's Saints of Big Harbour. Or even Hans Fallada, though I think I think that's just the small town setting.

Also, the Prime Minister was loosely based on Diefenbaker, right? Because he's supposed to have fathered some unacknowledged Diefenbabies, right?
Hilary
Fun and odd and entertaining and endearing ... and Canadian!
Susan
Quirky good book! I love the way Toews tells a simple story.
Nancy
Very cute book. I wasn't sure about it at first, but in the end I really enjoyed it. It was light hearted, but true to life in many places--what the aftermath of a heart attack is on a family, when a couple gets back together after being apart, etc. I started reading it because it was set in Canada and I always am interested in a different view of the world, rather than just American. In the beginning the characters have somewhat of a cartoonish feel, but in the end the author makes them realist ...more
SJane
This would earn 3.4 stars from me, but I rounded up to 4 because I like the other work of Miriam Toews so darn much. A Boy of Good Breeding was nice, too... who else could have a character named Summer Feelin' and somehow make it work?

The story was gentle and meandering (sometimes a bit too much for my taste) and had a calm and satisfying resolution. Reading it was sort of like a slow walk through a foggy summer side-road... an enjoyable meander in an odd locale.
Mike
This piece was mildly entertaining. The plot has not nearly the intrigue that the Troutmans comes with. Still, some of the dialogue is crisp and unique. There are an abundance of Canadianisms. I was very pleased and surprised by the ending. For a book that went from A to B to C, it got rather wacky when it hit X, Y, and Z. Throughout the book I found myself saying "Who Cares?" My interest in Miriam Toews' writing is 1 for 3; only a good average in baseball.
  • Saints of Big Harbour
  • Turtle Valley
  • Nikolski
  • Kiss of the Fur Queen
  • King Leary
  • A Student of Weather
  • We Agreed to Meet Just Here (AWP Award Series in the Novel)
  • The Juliet Stories
  • River of the Brokenhearted
  • Joshua Then and Now
  • The Deception of Livvy Higgs
  • An Audience of Chairs
  • Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)
  • Tamarind Woman
Miriam Toews is a Canadian writer of Mennonite descent. She grew up in Steinbach, Manitoba and has lived in Montreal and London, before settling in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Toews studied at the University of Manitoba and the University of King's College in Halifax, and has also worked as a freelance newspaper and radio journalist. Her non-fiction book "Swing Low: A Life" was a memoir of her father, a vi
More about Miriam Toews...
A Complicated Kindness All My Puny Sorrows The Flying Troutmans Irma Voth Summer of My Amazing Luck