A Boy of Good Breeding

A Boy of Good Breeding

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  70 reviews
From the acclaimed Giller Prize Finalist and Governor General’s Award Winner: a delightfully funny and charming second novel about Canada’s smallest town.

Life in Winnipeg didn’t go as planned for Knute and her daughter. But living back in Algren with her parents and working for the longtime mayor, Hosea Funk, has its own challenges: Knute finds herself mixed up with Hosea’...more
Audiobook
Published June 4th 2009 by Recorded Books (first published 1998)

Greg
Miriam Toews is from Winnipeg, the great Canadian city that has given the world John K. Samson / The Weakerthans, and Marcel Dzama. Besides being from Winnipeg this book could be set in a Canadian cousin town to Donald Harington's Staymore; oh and she also writes in such an effortlessly feeling kind of way that Harington does, which is also a good thing. The book is also quite funny, and the little girl in the book made me really smile in almost every scene she was in. So unlike most books I lik...more
Mary Pessaran
The characters in this book are not people you know. With names like Knute, Hosea Funk, Summer Feelin', Euphemia, Combine Jo, and a dog named Bill Quinn, you should expect some quirkiness. They are likable in their own ways and they are made more "normal" by "normal" people loving them (Hosea's girlfriend, Lorna, for example). Sad things happen, but it's not a sad book. To its credit, not once did I look ahead to see what might happen. I wanted to be there as the story unfolded, and I assumed th...more
Ruth Conrad
This book is funny and entertaining, but I still prefer Toews's first two more serious books. While highlighting the daily lives of the characters in a small town in Canada, the author also addresses questions of identity and parentage in a light way. Many surprises occur as the mayor tries to keep his town's population at exactly 1,500.
Steve
Toews always manages to create characters with whom it is easy to empathize.
Nothing overly serious here, just a nice little story about
a small town, a mayor with an obsessive personality, and everyday people
struggling to deal with relationships, life, death, and a dog who is his own man....errrr....dog.
Thais
A me piacciono i libri buffi, con personaggi bizzarri e vicende strampalate e al limite dell'inverosimile. Questo romanzo è tutto ciò e (non) molto di più, ma non è riuscito a conquistarmi.
Il tira e molla per far sì che la cittadina di Algren abbia esattamente millecinquecento abitanti, così da meritare la visita del primo ministro in qualità di città più piccola del Canada, è senz'altro divertente, ma tirato un po' troppo per le lunghe, quindi tende a stancare.
Il personaggio del sindaco Hosea è...more
Kathleen
Algren, where the sky is the color of tolet bowl cleaner and staying the smallest town in Canada is the mayor's number one priority. This book will make you smile.
Darren Tang
If ever there was a novel that emulated the saying "it's not the *destination*, but the *journey* that counts" (lol thanks djordje) then this novel would surely be it. Behind the main characters obsession of meeting his dad, whom he believes is the prime minister of Canada, lay the smallest Canadian town: Algren. While the plot is propelled with the wonder and curiosty as to what will happen when and if Hosea meets his father, at the end of the novel it becomes clear that although the aforementi...more
Clif Hostetler
Who else but the author Miriam Toews could place a story in the "smallest town in Canada" where nothing interesting could ever possibly happen, and make the story interesting. She conjers up a collection of idiosyncratic personalities loaded with foibles and obsessions, and then proceeds to make them believeable and, if not loveable, at least interesting.

Never before in history has a small town mayor had to concentrate so mightily of such trivial details in order to maintain the town's populati...more
Fischwife
Toews is one of my favourite authors, but this may be my least favourite of her books, so far. It is humourous and clever, and it kept us entertained during our drive to Kelowna and halfway back, so I'm not saying it's a bad book. Far from it. I still gave it a 4-star rating. It's just that I didn't relate to the characters quite as much as I have in other books. That may be due to "reading" it in audio format, although the reader was excellent.

This book is set in Canada's smallest town--a disti...more
Rachel
"Someone had once told Knute that March in Manitoba was seductive. It was warmish, it was coolish, it was come-hither, it was standoff-ish. March in Manitoba was really more flirtatious than seductive, thought Knute. More precocious teenage girl than smouldering femme fatale. She would have said August was more of a seductive month. Anyway, it was March. Knute looked around, expecting to be seduced, not sure by what. She didn't really like that word much, seduced. Marilyn, on the other hand, was...more
fleegan
This book is great, but I found one of the main characters, Hosea, so annoying that I hated it when I would get to one of his parts of the book. He wasn't a bad character, just a little crazy. And I kept thinking, "yes, he's crazy, we get it, now let's get back to the better characters."

There's basically two storylines, the one with Hosea, the mayor of the smallest town in Canada, and Knute a young mother who moves back to the small town with her daughter. Since this is Canada's smallest town t...more
Martine Peacock
Aside from the the fear of what further horrors I would find among the pages of this library book (my first discovery being a bogey!) I was eager to keep turning the pages. Towes' writing is natural and easy, and the premise of the book was fun - a mayor needing to keep the population of his town at exactly 1500 so that the Canadian Prime Minister (who he believes to be his father) will visit on Canada Day. That said, I did find the book starting to drag just a little in the middle - but I think...more
Rose
Really cool and original idea for a story - I kept reading because I wanted to find out what would unfold - but ultimately a bit disappointing. I think it either should have been shorter (with fewer "useless" characters) or longer (adding more sustainable plot twists and leaving room for character development, which I feel it sorely lacked). It was very funny though.
Joanna
This was the first book I read by Miriam Toews. It's got an interesting concept but I found it moved slowly.
Nancy
Very cute book. I wasn't sure about it at first, but in the end I really enjoyed it. It was light hearted, but true to life in many places--what the aftermath of a heart attack is on a family, when a couple gets back together after being apart, etc. I started reading it because it was set in Canada and I always am interested in a different view of the world, rather than just American. In the beginning the characters have somewhat of a cartoonish feel, but in the end the author makes them realist...more
SJane
This would earn 3.4 stars from me, but I rounded up to 4 because I like the other work of Miriam Toews so darn much. A Boy of Good Breeding was nice, too... who else could have a character named Summer Feelin' and somehow make it work?

The story was gentle and meandering (sometimes a bit too much for my taste) and had a calm and satisfying resolution. Reading it was sort of like a slow walk through a foggy summer side-road... an enjoyable meander in an odd locale.
Mike
This piece was mildly entertaining. The plot has not nearly the intrigue that the Troutmans comes with. Still, some of the dialogue is crisp and unique. There are an abundance of Canadianisms. I was very pleased and surprised by the ending. For a book that went from A to B to C, it got rather wacky when it hit X, Y, and Z. Throughout the book I found myself saying "Who Cares?" My interest in Miriam Toews' writing is 1 for 3; only a good average in baseball.
Bruce
The delightful goings on in Algren, Manitoba - Canada's smallest town (any smaller and it would be a village). A central theme is the mayor's efforts to ensure Algren remains the smallest, requiring him to keep track of every birth, death, return home, leaving town, almost death... M.T. wrote the book in 1998, then revised it in 2005. A perfect counter balance to "A Geography of Blood" a non-fiction history (people and the land) about the same part of the country.
Lily
This was the dumbest book ever. The author began no less than three minor plot threads that she completely dropped, and only one of her characters actually had a character that could be identified. The last line of the book was this character saying something completely out of character. It would have been a total waste of time, and the only reason i'm not begging for hours of my life back was that i read it at the beach where i had nothing else to read.
Julie
Hosea Funk is the mayor of the smallest town in Canada, and he's desperate to keep it that way (the size, his mayoral status is not in danger). Former residents keep moving back to town, which trips up his "exactly 1500" quota (any bigger and it will be too large, and smaller and it's a village).

Characters include Summer Feelin', a dog named Bill Quinn, and Lorna Garden. Tender, eccentric, fun & sometimes sad.
Beckie
i got this book because of how much i loved a single sentence from the previous book i read by the same author ("i was reminded that i was, at that very moment, not bleeding from my face. and those are powerful words of hope, really."). unfortunately, i'd forgotten that i didn't love the rest of the book as much as that sentence and this one was similar. it was nice enough, but not great.
Lucy
Kevan
First Glance: Author of "A Complicated Kindness," Miriam Toews has proven herself to be excellent at two things: writing about Manitoba, and writing about the people inhabiting it. Her books are contemporary, live-feed snapshots of the pettiness and heartbreaking paralysis found in small-town Canada. I look forward to seeing where the book takes me. Halfway through, and so far so good.
Joyce
So far I'm REALLY enjoying listening to this story--it's so quirky, and well written. The voice artist is very good, and I look forward to listening to another installment every time I drive somewhere.

I really liked this book. Totally not what I expected after having read, and not really liked, A Complicated Kindess (several years ago). I'd like to read her other books now, too.
Northerngirl
I enjoyed this story, the mayor in the story was a bit of an odd character which made this an interesting read. I am from a very small town and could relate to some of the strange/odd incidents that happened in this story. I thought it was a fairly quick read, I also have read A Complicated Kindness by the same author and enjoyed that one more than this particular book.
I love Miriam Toews. She is a voice that can just tell the story the little bits that go through the characters' minds and then some but it never gets complicated. She reminds me of Anne Lammot that way but Toews has a comedic thread that keeps it a little lighter.
LOVE her!and am sad that she only has a few books but am happy that her next comes out this september
Dan
This is the exact archetype of a book that I would rate 3 stars. I don't regret reading it and enjoyed it to a certain degree but probably wouldn't have read it if I'd known. That is to say that I think my time reading could've been better spent. The book is enjoyable, but not particularly memorable. Homey but not overly cheesy.
Liz Caruk
i like miriam's style of writing. it seems like there's no plot but the story always gets somewhere and it doesn't drag on with endless details. she gets to the point just fast enough. her characters are the outcasts, free spirits and always slightly disturbed but in a good way. i recommend any of miriam toews books to everyone.
  • A Student of Weather
  • A Bird in the House
  • An Audience of Chairs
  • Stanley Park
  • Whirl Away
Miriam Toews is a Canadian writer of Mennonite descent. She grew up in Steinbach, Manitoba and has lived in Montreal and London, before settling in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Toews studied at the University of Manitoba and the University of King's College in Halifax, and has also worked as a freelance newspaper and radio journalist. Her non-fiction book "Swing Low: A Life" was a memoir of her father, a vi...more
More about Miriam Toews...
A Complicated Kindness The Flying Troutmans Irma Voth Summer of My Amazing Luck Swing Low: A Life