Start by marking “The Black Mountains” as Want to Read:
The Black Mountains

The Black Mountains (Empire of the East #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Cover Illustration: Melvyn Grant
Paperback
Published by Star Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Mountains

Charles
Stuff I Read - The Black Mountains by Fred Saberhagen Review

So this is the second book in the Empire of the East series, and I will admit now that when I read this I had not read the first book in the series. The good news is that I didn't really feel lost at all having not read the first book. Yes, characters recur and all that, but the book did a good enough job catching me up that I didn't mind. These books also come before the Sword books that Saberhagen wrote, as evidenced by Draffut being
Joe Santoro
So this is the sequel to 'the Broken Lands', which I liked very much. Sadly, instead of furthering the interesting world building and building the characters from the first book. This one focuses on the defeated evil Satrap, Chup, and him soft of, but not really, rebelling against 'the east' . The main action for the rebels was them discovering a 'djinn' and trying to get him to make them hot air balloons... you know, instead of fixing the nuclear tank.

Then there's a new bad guy who brings troop
Derek
I'm finding an allergy to Saberhagen's writing, which seems to consist of long sections without remarkable qualities, punctuated by intensely written scenes and set pieces. In particular, the battle between Zapranoth and Lord Draffut are properly cosmic and nearly hallucinogenic as befits reality-warping entities. Anything with a demon in it, come to think of it.

Like The Broken Lands, anything having to do with the Empire is more readable and interesting than the Free Folk. Fortunately the autho
Charles
This is the middle book of the Empire of the East trilogy. I already reviewed that collection of the three, but I read this one separately, years before and so am marking it separately. It's pretty good but not outstanding, I thought.
Keith
Three in One; From "Empire Of The East"; Book 2
Jack Teague
science fiction
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
James Ledger
James Ledger marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Grant
Grant added it
Feb 28, 2015
Nikolai Pynev
Nikolai Pynev marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Kenneth Daugherty
Kenneth Daugherty marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Empire of the East (4 books)
  • The Broken Lands (Empire of the East, #1)
  • Ardneh's World (Empire of the East, #3)
  • Ardneh's Sword (Empire of the East, #4)
The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1) Berserker (Berserker, #1) The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2) The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3) The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)