Start by marking “Stone of Kings: In Search of the Lost Jade of the Maya” as Want to Read:
Stone of Kings: In Search of the Lost Jade of the Maya

Stone of Kings: In Search of the Lost Jade of the Maya

A gripping account of the 400-year-old quest for the precious stone revered by the ancient Maya Jade has long been prized as one of the most precious substances on earth, used to adorn kings, cure disease, and perform sacred rituals, including human sacrifice. For millennia, it played a crucial role in the culture of the Maya and other ancient Americans, but the Spanish lu ...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Stone of Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone of Kings

Duff
Mar 03, 2012 Duff rated it really liked it
I was absorbed in the search for the sources of Maya and Olmec jade...astonishingly. I had no prior interest, just found this book in the "new" section of my public library. The scope of the book is the archeology, but gives fascinating side trips about scientific processes,geology, and the cultural and social implications of the stone. The author combines a neat detective story with nice awareness of the ex-pat community in Mexico/Guatemala. I was surprised at how involved I got in this story. ...more
Caroline
Mar 26, 2016 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-history
Who would have thought a book about a rock could be so interesting? Even a rock as valued and beautiful as jade is still a rock to me, and yet I could hardly put this book down. Much of that can be attributed to the skill of the author in crafting a tale that is part archaeology, part geology, part history, part treasure hunt, and wholly enthralling.

From the history of the Olmec and Mayan peoples to the more recent brutal civil war in Guatemala, with digressions on mineralogy, plate tectonics,
Linda
May 21, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: latin-america
This is actually a 3.5. It's a quick, well-written read on a very specific subject: the rediscovery of jade deposits in Guatemala. It was useful to me as a light introduction to Olmec and Mayan civilizations but as much as I enjoy a good science-y read, I skipped past the very technical chemical discussions of gemstone verification (though I enjoyed the section on plate tectonics).

I'd also note, just when you realize all this adventuring and prospecting is happening in the midst of a civil war,
judy
Jan 07, 2012 judy rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a story someone might like but that would not be me. I could have discovered what I wanted to know about the Maya, Olmecs and mesoamerican jade in 50 pages. The author has information, some of it new, but of footnote importance. I understand why he felt he had to write it but am astounded anyone published it. In defense of the author, the mesoamerican Classic period is an era about which little is known but much is surmised.
Kathy
Feb 06, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Though I wondered if there was enough to make a book I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting this book was. It helps to have a bit pf previous knowledge of the Maya and Olmec culture, otherwise it would be confusing.
It made me want to look up Guatemalan jade and find a piece of my own, so I suppose it accomplished its purpose.
Janette Mcmahon
May 21, 2014 Janette Mcmahon rated it liked it
I did not know much about the history of jade in Central America and this was a good overview. It was interesting to read about different explorers and theories, with the understanding no one has an answer. Jade continues to be a mysterious stone in the world today.
Thomas Ryan
Sep 28, 2016 Thomas Ryan rated it really liked it
A really interesting book about Central America
Michele
More adventure than archaeology made this book a bit of a disappointment to me. With that said, it's an entertaining read.
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Ann
Jun 09, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
Interesting story of jade in Central America and its impact on ancient cultures.
Richard Archambault
Richard Archambault rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Kay Giddens
Kay Giddens rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2012
Ohyassi
Ohyassi rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2012
Angela Eggleston
Angela Eggleston rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Staci MacCorkle
Staci MacCorkle rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Jesse
Jesse rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Dlmrose
Dlmrose rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Fred Antonucci
Fred Antonucci rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Heath Oberloh
Heath Oberloh rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Jill Texeira
Jill Texeira rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Amy Boyer
Amy Boyer rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Marjorie Johnson
Marjorie Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Casey Skillington
Casey Skillington rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2012
Danielle Watson
Danielle Watson rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2012