Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)

Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin #4)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4,029 ratings  ·  227 reviews
Agatha Raisin joins Dembley hiking club to pursue handsome Cotswold neighbor James Lacey. Angry member Jessica targets wealthy landowner Charles Fraith, who retaliates with tea invitation, but her body is found dead on his grounds. Agatha and James investigate the crime, the group ready to kill.
Paperback, alternate cover for ISBN: 0312539134, ISBN13: 9780312539139, 192 pages
Published 1995

The Flooze
Oh, my. Oh, my!

Another neat, fast-paced mystery centering on ghastly murders in an otherwise ideal setting. When a rambler (hiker) from a nearby town is found dead in a field, Agatha is called upon to dig up all the info she can.

Of course, investigations are far more exciting with James Lacey in tow. And how much more exciting still to go undercover with the chap - as a married couple!

Though the mystery has its fair share of plausible, unsettling suspects, the highlight of this tale is the in
Una Tiers
I'd forgotten how Charles Fraith came into the series. It was an interesting re-read looking at the characters.
Yvonne
I’m really liking these Agatha Raisin audios. They are relatively short and I can finish them in a week while I commute to and from work.

Agatha is still full of herself and it’s taking me a long time to warm up to her, but I’m finally coming around. LOL She sure is relentless in the pursuit of her handsome neighbor, James Lacey. Some of her decisions make me shake my head and other times I just want to shake her.

I find myself becoming more involved in the characters and their relationships then
Ellie
Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley by M.C. Beaton is fourth in Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. Agatha, a 50+ public relations' executive has retired from her London agency to live a quiet life in a small village and, hopefully, learn how to make friends and live peacefully with others.

In this mystery, Agatha (a very bright woman with an abrasive personality) has returned to do a stint of public relations' work. She succeeds at it brilliantly-but also falls back into all her old bad habits.
Suzi Q, The Book Dame
Oh, Agatha, how I love thee. You are the snarkiest. I can tell that you care deeply what others think of you, but am entertained by the gull in which you tell them to bugger off.
I am glad to see things progressing with James. I think that it helps that you don't appear as desperate as you once did. It is nice to see you soften a bit, but I truly hope you don't lose to much of yourself.
Your latest case was quite the mystery. I certainly couldn't figure it out with all of the interestingly wacky
Gerry
'Nice quiet pursuit. Rambling never leads to murder,' says constable Bill Wong to Agatha Raisin when he learns that she has taken the hobby up on her return from a stressful time working in London. He should have known better because only 13 pages later a rambler is found dead and, not surprisingly, the comment is, 'Someone has murdered her.'

Enter the indomitable Agatha and her friend, who she thinks she is in love with, James Lacey. The pair of them investigate, on this occasion with the blessi
Kris
Sukhi
What makes Agatha Raisin special? She's spunky. She's stubborn. She knows how to get results. As a woman who had to work her way to success, she also has a major chip on her shoulder when she comes face to face with the wealthy or "old rich." She doesn't take anyone's nonsense. She is a strong woman. She's also human and craves meaningful relationships. She makes a way to create these relationships with the residents of Carsely. At least that's what I thought of her before I picked up this book ...more
Ivonne Rovira
I'm unusual in that I like the aggressive Agatha Raisin more than the lazy, unambitious Hamish MacBeth. This one is as good as the others in the series -- although the first one, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death, is the best.

I suspect I liked the first book best because James Lacey played so little a part of it. The biggest mystery in this book, as in all of the them, is what lively, clever Agatha sees in the priggish James Lacey. He's a snob and a pill. There are women who think they're no
Andrea
I didn't think much of this mystery. The writing is poor, the characterisation rather flat and unnecessarily crude in places (I especially didn't appreciate the rape "joke").

The premise was intriguing: a group of hikers take it upon themselves to open up the Medieval rights of way, when one of them disappears. I found the discussion about the rights of way interesting, but it was just a plot point and not very much was said about it.

I love the illustration on the cover of this copy. Pity the con
Dolly
This is another fun mystery in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. I started reading this series this year and I like it; I will certainly be looking for the next book in the series soon. The stories are short, entertaining brain candy. This was an interesting story about a group of ramblers, and considering my recent trip to England, I can see how this kind of group would be popular. I did a lot of walking there, myself, and I'd like to think that it would be right up my alley (sans the mi ...more
Curlyhair
Another quick easy read in this series. I love the old fashioned in a way, quirkiness of it, with how the characters interact, especially Agatha. Although she acts quite modern at times in this book. Decent story. I can't wait to see what happens next....
Chris
This time Agatha gets involved in a "ramblers" club. One of the walkers gets murdered. Hearing that Agatha is a "detective", another of the walkers asks her to find out what happened. In order to infiltrate the club members, Agatha poses as a married couple with her handsome next-door neighbor, James.

I didn't like this entry in the series as much as the first three even though Agatha finally gets her wish with James. I had problems with the last two CDs so I didn't get to hear the full story. T
Rosalie
A trashy holiday read. I was annoyed by the stereotypes in this one and it is only number 4. The series is 25 books long and I'm pretty sure I won't make it to the end. I listened to the audio book, definitely made better by being read by Penelope Keith. OK as a 'brain in neutral' listen while driving. The one saving grace is the snarky bad tempered Agatha. I love her in all her awfulness.
Lynne
I love this series of books. Agatha reminds me of a cross between Miss Marple (the original Margaret Rutherford characterisation, not the wimpy American versions - Miss Marple DIDN'T have an American accent!) and Peneople Keith's character Audrey on To The Manner Born! She's a lovable battle axe who's madly in love with her neighbout James Lacely and she seems to stumble onto murders with scary frequency in the sleepy Cotswold village of Carsely. These books are full of humour, eccentric, slight ...more
Hildigunnur
Exactly what it says on the box - light entertainment that goes down smoothly - and well written for it's genre
Luffy Monkey D.
At three quarters in the book I had penciled it as a one star book. I was beginning to cohere about writing the review differently from the usual. I wanted to list 10 reasons why the book was irredeemable. Well, here we are in the middle of a 3 star review with no bullet points in sight. As soon as the annoying young ramblers were gone from the story, the book picked up pace.

Agatha Raisin got lucky with James, but that was not the only reason for the change in my mind. I thought that for some
La Biblioteca
You can translate this review on: http://labibliotecadidrusie.blogspot.it/
Voto: 7/10
Proseguo con la serie della detective più anomala del regno giallo. Ben lontana dalle manze spettacolari alla Kate Becket di Castle, non si avvicina neanche all’anziana pettegola Miss Murple. Agatha è una pensionata cinquantenne più in lotta con rughe e chili di troppo che con i cattivi che le capitano.
Anche come carattere è ben lontana dai classici esempi di virtù che la letteratura propone: è scorretta, irriver
Leigh
With a four day weekend ahead of me and decent weather (for a change) all I had to look forward to was sitting out on the patio and making a dent in my ever growing to be read stack. First up a return to Carsely, the ever amusing Agatha Raisin and her fellow citizens. In this adventure, Agatha is finally returning home after six months in London. She is feeling low and depressed and hoping for some excitement, like a murder case to solve, and of course being pushed closer to beloved neighbour Ja ...more
C.J. Prince
After compulsively reading 21 of the Hamish Macbeth series, I happened to pick up a copy of "Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley" by the same author. While waiting for the next Hamish Macbeth to arrive, I picked up this book, #4 in the Agatha series.

One thing I expect of my protagonist is some likability. I kept reading and not finding anything but an anger, self absorbed, judgmental,rude, annoying woman. There is no character arch. The changes she makes seem very superficial.

As always, M.C
Ali
In this the fourth Agatha Raisin novel, Agatha returns to Carsley after 6months back in the wicked world of London PR. A local ramblers group is at the centre of the latest murder that Agatha and her neighbour James Lacey become involved with. Their partnership this time yielding unexpected results. Agatha is her usual gruff self, brilliantly putting her foot squarly in her mouth during lunch at Sir Charles's Victorian mansion. Great light feel good stuff, perfect for a winter's Sunday afteroon.
Jodi
Agatha returns to Carsley after 6 months in London to discover that James has been leading a ramblers group. It's fortuitous as there has been a murder of a rambler in a group in Dembley and one of the members called her Aunt in Carsley and asked if Agatha could investigate. She and James pose as husband and wife and proceed to do just that. They even have police blessing since the police have nothing and could use some amateur assistance. James and Agatha find themselves mired in not one murder ...more
Kate
I really like this series and spending time with Agatha in the English Cotswolds. Her temper and the rude things she says always make me laugh! This novel is the one in which James starts to see Agatha in a different light and so, as someone who has skipped around the series, I felt like it explained a lot about their relationship (which plays out in many subsequent books). A lot of fun!
Gill
Beaton stumbles with this title and unless the next one is a great improvement, I won't be persevering with the series.

The new characters are one-dimensional stereotypes and there is a undertone of homophobia and misogyny.

Furthermore, the developments in Agatha's personal life stretch credulity and do not feel true to the characters as depicted in the previous books. Very disappointing.
Chris
If you are stuck inside on a frigid winter day, this book was the perfect read. Quick and enjoyable, a cozy mystery. I'm pleased to discover there are 23 so far in this series, so I'm set for several more winters to come! My only quibble is I didn't care for Agatha, I liked everyone else around her, though. Perhaps she'll be nicer once she gets married in the next book!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
A surprisingly uneventful Agatha Raisin mystery! The characters are fairly uninteresting, the plot is weak and even dear old Agatha lacks her usual craziness... This read was a bit of a disappointment but I hear this is one of the least enjoyable installment in the series. I hope Mrs Raisin's next adventures will be more fun to read:)
Julianne
This is Book #4 in the Agatha Raisin mystery series. There's a protest about local landowners and the public footpaths, and disagreement turns to murder! Agatha is trying to snag her attractive and single next-door neighbor, so she involves him in trying to solve this case.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Another great read - short and sweet, good between the doorstops and serious books as these are light-hearted and don't take much time!
Agatha Raisin 3 32 Dec 14, 2013 10:54AM
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)